P26 olive green

cossack52

From all the photos I've seen I conclude that the finish was gloss.  Years ago I purchased several tins of Xtracolor Olive Drab WWII (X112 ANA613).  I don't know off hand if that was the same as pre-war OD.  I posted several vague questions about P-26's as well a while back and failed to get many responses.  May try to clarify my problems in a couple of days.  Good luck.  What unit are you considering for your build-up?

In his book "Air Force Colors Vol. 1 1926 - 1942", Dana Bell says that Olive Drab 22 was "glossy, stronger, darker, a bit redder" than FS 30118.  For that time period I have been using 30118 but just not giving it a flat coat after decaling since the actual aircraft were a gloss finish.  Dana may very well drop by this thread to give some more insight into the question.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Would this be a Spec 3-1 colour?

Quoting from Dana Bell's book,"  OLIVE DRAB: QM Spec color #22 was a good match for Air Corps OD, though the latter was a bit lighter, a little stronger, and a slight bit yellower.  The ANA spec was the same as the 3-1 color, but the Navy made little use of Olive Drab in any case.  The camouflage color was Dark Olive Drab (#31 or #41) which was darker and greener, but the word "Dark" was rarely used, and was dropped in June 1943."

So I guess the short answer to the question would be, yes.

Later,

Dave

P.S. The Robert D. Archer Monogram book says the Spec 3-1 was used from 1922 to 1931.