Eduard FW 190 A8/R2

As promised in January, here are some pics of my Eduard 190A. its the first kit I've finished in about 18 months- severe mental illness doesn't make for happy, finished models...

So this is a bit of a victory in many ways. Hope you like. 

PS sorry about the pics- a photographer I ain't. If you look in one of them, you can see George looking appraisingly..

IMG_0700_zpsa53jb3bh.jpg

IMG_0701_zpsqb3v3vok.jpg

IMG_0696_zpsz8qg21up.jpg

IMG_0695_zpsvatkcvj7.jpg

IMG_0694_zps9zqzm4kc.jpg

• Like 26

Mainly out of the box, sprayed with MR Paints, using Kyle's Top Notch masks. Hypodermic needle guns- a swine to cut! I've left off the pitot tube- the kit one broke, and despite best efforts I couldn't reattach it. Likewise the aerial. I wasn't going to risk spoiling it trying to get EZ Line to stick. 

• Like 3

This looks great! A very nice build of what is a lovely, but not easy to build, kit.  I have one of these making its way down the production line, this inspires me to keep on flogging it!

I curious how the kit decals behaved for you? They look great in the box but I haven't tried them out yet.

I've recently picked some Albion micro-sized brass tubing, and have hopes it will be much easier to use than steel hypo needles!

I've built two now, and I found that on both, the common problem wasn't getting the fuselage to fit, but getting the starboard wing to close at the root, and then to get the wing to fit to the fuselage. I found that carving away the inside of the top wing half at the root, and then doing the same to the undercarriage bay insert, the problem disappeared. You have to be fairly confident (and brave!) because you go quite close to digging a hole in both pieces, but it does work. If you drop the undercarriage bay in place, and sort of shake the lower wing, the bay finds its own location. The same thing happens with the upper gun bay hatch. Tamiya Super Thin is your friend with this kit, but don't use the brush in the lid. It's too 'all or nothing'. Use a fine paint brush. Take your time and you won't need filler, but it's not a 'shake-n-bake'. I've thought about brass tubing, but I'm a cheapskate. It's the only way I can afford MR Paint. 

• Like 3

really great looking finish. I am one of those modellers that gives up far too often at the 90% stage, but as can be seen from your build, going that last "half mile" really does make all the difference. Thank you for finding time to share. 

Very interesting comments, thanks for those.

My A-8 is almost ready to paint, and I've been keeping an informal building notes log on another forum here:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=8321

By the way, I'm giving my age away here, but have always used an old-fashioned bow-type drafting pen for liquid cement. Adjustable and highly controllable.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...