1/32 - Northrop (R)F-5E/(F) Tiger II by Kitty Hawk - F-5E, F-5F & RF-5E released

Homebee

Among numerous projects, anounced or not announced, Kitty Hawk is reported to have a 1/32nd Northrop F-5E Tiger II.

Mike Benolkin from Cybermodeller has even reported words from Glen "Kitty Hawk" Coleman saying that the 1/32 F-5E is coming in March barring any logistics problems...

Wait and see.

Sources: 

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?s=5c2ff6e68ae17012c76054379ea11236&showtopic=66843&p=886701

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?s=5c2ff6e68ae17012c76054379ea11236&showtopic=66843&p=887578

- ref. KH32018 - Northrop F-5E Tiger II

image.jpg

- ref. KH32019 - Northrop F-5F Tiger II

FRRR.jpg

- ref. KH32023 - Northrop RF-5E "Tigereye"

38085751.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2017-03-09 at 5:25 AM, tony.t said:

I think it's yet another mythical Kittyhawk project. At least the Mirage 2000-5F has got to the boxtop stage, allegedly.

Tony

So did the F-101B Voodoo.

i know the person that designed the decals, the were even printed up by Cartograf in Italy and delivered to Kittyhawk.

On 10 December 2017 at 4:21 AM, Scooby said:

So did the F-101B Voodoo.

i know the person that designed the decals, the were even printed up by Cartograf in Italy and delivered to Kittyhawk.

Did they get that far with the RF-101C? That was the non event I was most looking forwards to (along with the 1/32 Jaguars).

Tiger looks great. Should sell really well. Must profess I prefer the pointy nose F-5E so glad that boxing comes first - all those late 1970s/early 1980s DACT schemes at Alconbury.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:F-5_Tiger_II_at_RAF_Alconbury#/media/File%3AThree_F-5E_agressors_from_Alconbury_1983.jpg

Tony

Edited by tony.t
added link
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 10:14 AM, tony.t said:

Tiger looks great. Should sell really well. Must profess I prefer the pointy nose F-5E so glad that boxing comes first - all those late 1970s/early 1980s DACT schemes at Alconbury.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:F-5_Tiger_II_at_RAF_Alconbury#/media/File%3AThree_F-5E_agressors_from_Alconbury_1983.jpg

Tony

In the late 70's read a story about USAF Aggressors in Flight International. Got me hooked on the F-5.

Furball Aero Design: ref. 32-002 “TOPGUN Tigers”

https://www.furballaero-design.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=32-002

32-002 “TOPGUN Tigers” covers the adversary F-5Es flown by the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) during the 1970s and 80s. Complete markings are included for EACH aircraft, so TWELVE individual models can be built from this set! Here’s a complete rundown of the aircraft that are included in this set:

• F-5E 159882, 1982 #42 (two tone gray scheme)
  • F-5E 159881, 1982 #43 (gray and blue scheme)
  • F-5E 160793, 1986 #44 (two tone gray scheme)
  • F-5E 160794, 1986 #45 (brown and tan scheme)
  • F-5E 159885, 1985 #43 (gray and green scheme)
  • F-5E 159880, 1985 #42 (gray, green, and scheme)
  • F-5E 162307, 1986 #41 (3 tone gray splinter scheme)
  • F-5E 159884, 1982 #44 (overall light gray scheme)
  • F-5E 159882, 1977 #40 (three tone blue scheme)
  • F-5E 159880, 1980 #42 (3 tone gray scheme)
  • F-5E 159878, 1976 #544 (3 tone gray splinter scheme)
  • F-5E bureau number ???, 1987 (overall flat black “MiG-28” scheme)
  • F-5E bureau number ???, 1984 (overall gloss black “MiG-28” movie scheme)

32-002-2.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

Release in March 2018? Time will tell.

Source: http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/kits/kittyhawk32018preview_1.htm

Kitty Hawk will release 1/32 scale Kit No. KH32018, F-5E Tiger II Fighter in March. The two-seater F-5F will follow shortly after.

More information will be available closer to the release date.

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping this box art is only a testshot.

Strangely on the different color profiles presented it seems there is no extended ''Fin Fillet'' option for the Mexican and Brazilian F-5E and no InFlight Refueling

Probe for the Singaporean and Brazilian F-5E.

The extended ''Fin Fillet'' is on F-5E/F of the following Air Forces : Brazil, Chile, Kenya, Mexico, Morocco, Tunisia and some (not all) Singapore airframes.

The InFlight Refueling Probe is on F-5E/F of the following Air Forces : Brazil, Chile, Morocco, Saudi Arabia & Singapore. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that these two options are included in the kit, because if they are missing, these are major oversights !

Lets wait and see !

:speechless:

SharkOwl

e0a667e977373665c1957a5edb834105.png

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

The extended ''Fin Fillet'' is on F-5E/F of the following Air Forces : Brazil, Chile, Kenya, Mexico, Morocco, Tunisia and some (not all) Singapore airframes.

The InFlight Refueling Probe is on F-5E/F of the following Air Forces : Brazil, Chile, Morocco, Saudi Arabia & Singapore. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that these two options are included in the kit, because if they are missing, these are major oversights !

Lets wait and see !

Not  entirely correct as there were certainly F-5E's used by both Brazil and Morocco that did not have the fin fillet fitted, some if not all of these came from USAF stocks. And there are pictures also of some of the AF's mentioned without the refueling probes fitted but you will probably find the examples on the decal sheet are supposed to have either the probe or fin fillet (or both!) fitted.

Looking at the sheet you will probably only be able to build the Iranian, South Korean, USAF and possibly Singaporean machines unless there are extra bits in the box. Or if the top CAD picture is correct then possibly only the US Navy ones.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not  entirely correct as there were certainly F-5E's used by both Brazil and Morocco that did not have the fin fillet fitted, some if not all of these came from USAF stocks. And there are pictures also of some of the AF's mentioned without the refueling probes fitted but you will probably find the examples on the decal sheet are supposed to have either the probe or fin fillet (or both!) fitted.

Looking at the sheet you will probably only be able to build the Iranian, South Korean, USAF and possibly Singaporean machines unless there are extra bits in the box. Or if the top CAD picture is correct then possibly only the US Navy ones.

Complement of Information :

100 % of the Mexican F-5E/F Fleet had the Fin Fillet extension ;

100 % of the first 36 x Brazilian F-5E/F Fleet wearing the specific 3 tone colors proposed by Kittyhawk had the Fin Fillet extension ;

Other Brazilian F-5E from Usaf Stock were initially all over light gray and never wear this specific ''Vietnam Type'' color scheme no longer in use and

replaced now on the entire fleet by a mid grey / jungle green two tone camo scheme ;

;)

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

Complement of Information :

100 % of the Mexican F-5E/F Fleet had the Fin Fillet extension ;

100 % of the first 36 x Brazilian F-5E/F Fleet wearing the specific 3 tone colors proposed by Kittyhawk had the Fin Fillet extension ;

Other Brazilian F-5E from Usaf Stock were initially all over light gray and never wear this specific ''Vietnam Type'' color scheme no longer in use and

replaced now on the entire fleet by a mid grey / jungle green two tone camo scheme ;

;)

SharkOwl

You are 100% right, I was referring to the ex USAF examples and not the original delivered aircraft which, as you say, all had the fin extension.

And yes the Mexican F-5's all have the fin extension.

Looks like some possibly very poor research by Kitty Hawk unless the kit has lots of "extras" in the kit which enable all the variants to be made and I seriously doubt that it will as kit manufacturers seem to like selling different boxings with different specific parts for different models/operators in them, although I am happy to be proven wrong.

• Thanks 1

One thing sure, Kitty Hawk merit our support for this 1/32 Scale F-5E Tiger II / RF-5E TigerEye / F5F Twin Tiger family of kits even if there

could be some (logical) parts missing on the first of these three kits and also because Kitty Hawk have other 1/32 projects like the

Mirage 2000 and a Northrop F-5A/B/C/D Freedom Fighter family of kits !

Plus, I am quite sure that KASL Hobby (Taiwan) will release in 2018 resin parts for these ‘’Tiger II’ Kitty Hawk kits as they have already

done for the AFV Club 1/48 ‘’Tiger II’’ kits :

Cockpits, Ejection Seats, SharkNose radome, LERX, Complete optional Fin with Fin Fillet extension, InFlight Refueling Probe, Various

antennaes, Detailed 20mm Cannon Bay, Air Brakes, FOD intake covers, Etc…

Plus the most probable Photoetch sets from Eduard !

2018 will certainly be for me ‘’The Year Of The Cat’’ ! ( like the song )

:smile:

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

One thing sure, Kitty Hawk merit our support for this 1/32 Scale F-5E Tiger II / RF-5E TigerEye / F5F Twin Tiger family of kits even if there

could be some (logical) parts missing on the first of these three kits and also because Kitty Hawk have other 1/32 projects like the

Mirage 2000 and a Northrop F-5A/B/C/D Freedom Fighter family of kits !

I'll reserve judgment on how much of my support they merit until such time as I see how good a kit they have produced.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kitty Hawk announced today a delay for this kit from March to end of March or April 2018, due to molds damaging.

Thanks to Kitty Hawk to inform us.

Kitty Hawk also confirmed that for the future (after the F-5E/F Family and the Mirage 2000 Family) 

a 1/32 Sepecat Bae Jaguar Family is a go for 2019 !

Yess !

B)

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl

• 1 month later...