1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

18 hours ago, Fritag said:

Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Mr. Friday! Coming from someone with your skill and artistry, it's a great compliment.   :)

17 hours ago, malpaso said:

I read somewhere that the cheese cutter IFF wires were disconnected on the ground due to getting in the way or causing accidents!  According to the MK.V Manual they were attached with shock cord at one end so maybe the other end just hooked on? A good excuse for omission anyway...

I always wondered how often someone on the ground bonked into those wires. Not only these, but those on the P-36/40 as well which went from the rudder to the wingtips, I think. Having a quick "disconnect" system makes a lot of sense.

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Beautiful Bill, just beautiful :) 

<snip>

Luckily I didn't have to pull it!

Thanks, Ced. What's the story behind your flight?

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is a blindingly gorgeous Spitfire Bill, sublime work once again!

Thanks, Keith! I've been working on it for so long I can't believe it's complete. I'll have to figure out how to keep working on it. No, wait, here is a better idea. I have a 1:32 scale Spitfire 22 with an entire retirement portfolio's worth of aftermarket. Hmm.

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Oooooooh booooy, that Spitfire looks gorgeous! :worthy: :worthy:

You're looking like a real bad a.s.s. there, Ced! :clap:

Thanks, Giorgio! Although I've met Ced, and I'm not sure that's the way I'd describe him.   :)  :)  :)

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

You did it, Bill, lovely job :D I don't know if the gentleman from Australia who first provided you with the kit has followed this thread, but if he has he won't feel that he wasted it B)

Thanks, Stew! The gentleman has been following over on Scalemates. I hope he's pleased with how it's turned out.

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Beautiful !

Thanks, John! I'll put up a proper RFI soon, maybe today.

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Absolutely stunning a real masterpiece!

Thanks, Roger. I'm pretty happy with it, although like all my models I think there are some parts I could have done better. Like the silvering that happened on some of the decals - even though I pretty much sorted that out, it made me search for a better clear gloss. I've been using Future, but I just bought a bottle of Gunze Mr. Color GX UV Cut Super Clear, and I really like it. So maybe these things happen for a reason.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, Ced. What's the story behind your flight?

You mean I didn't bore you with it when we met? Must have had an unusual bout of modesty. You can bore yourself here (with a video and everything!) :) 

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Although I've met Ced, and I'm not sure that's the way I'd describe him.

Aww, thanks Bill, first round on me! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gorgeous.  [The Spit, not Ced]

Never being completely satisfied with our own models is both the joy and the curse of the modeller.  You only ever see the flaws - however minute and trivial - in your own work, yet see everything else in other people’s.  It’s what spurs us on to keep improving.

You may have already confirmed this... but what next?

16 hours ago, CedB said:

You mean I didn't bore you with it when we met? Must have had an unusual bout of modesty. You can bore yourself here (with a video and everything!) :) 

Wow, lucky guy. Maybe someday I can convince one of my kids to buy me a Spitfire ride. While I'm waiting, I'll get the second round, @Procopius can get the third, and @Cookenbacher the fourth. But who can we get for the rest?

15 hours ago, CJP said:

Beautiful work

CJP

Thanks CJP!

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Gorgeous.  [The Spit, not Ced]

Never being completely satisfied with our own models is both the joy and the curse of the modeller.  You only ever see the flaws - however minute and trivial - in your own work, yet see everything else in other people’s.  It’s what spurs us on to keep improving.

You may have already confirmed this... but what next?

I have no clue what's next. I kinda want to build the LS 1:72 Dinah, but I have no stickers for it. I put a wanted ad on BM, but no responses yet. I also want to build a 1:72 Javelin, most likely an FAW.9, but I need to know the actual dimensions of the rear of the fuselage so I can correct the Airfix kit. I also have the Plastyk kit, but it looks to be undersize as well, at least compared to stencil placement drawing Airfix included with their 1:48 scale kit. So I really need to know the actual dimensions. Other than those two, I have a couple hundred other kits, so maybe there is something there worth building.

I just realised that I haven't finished this big Spitfire after all. I still need to add some chipping on the wing roots. But my Dad passed away last night, so I'll be busy the rest of this week with the funeral, and I'm not sure when I'll get back to the model. Shouldn't be too long.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Ced is gorgeous in his own special way. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

My condolences as well Bill.

Pleased to see you're able to keep your sense of humour in such sad times…

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Ced is gorgeous in his own special way. 

Awwww, thanks matey, back at you :D 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I actually meant you were looking cool and totally in control... :)

Bill, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad; my deepest condolences.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up on this thread after an overlong absence. Please add my condolences to all the others above.

We’ll see you when you’re good and ready.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, stalal said:

Very impressive. I have one in the stash and have planned it with VE stripes. Your build will be my inspiration and guide :)

Can't wait to see it. Let me know if I can be of any help with photos or reference materials, etc.

Cheers,

Bill