1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

Agree all the above, we have one colour of Yellow in the RAF/FAA range, if the Ministry of Aircraft Production charts had two, you can take it as read that Jamie would make sure we had them both :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Navy Bird said:

While we're talking about yellow, were the propeller tips painted in the same Identification Yellow as the wing leading edges, or were they a different shade, like Don't Walk Into This Whilst It's Spinning Yellow? For some reason my mind is telling me they are different...but my mind has led me astray before!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Per my copy of British Aviation Colours of World War II, there's just Yellow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here. The project is still progressing, but slowly. I've added the Medium Sea Grey on the underside, modulated with a lighter version of same plus some Gunze H95 Smoke Grey. The Sky band around the aft fuselage and the yellow ID stripes have also been painted on (Tamiya provide transfers for the stripes, but I didn't like that idea). I'm just about to give it a coat or two of some shiny stuff (probably Future) and then I think I will add some transfers. Then she'll be looking proper!

So some progress, but slowed by my completion of the Sea Fury and the daily attention to my Dad. The nursing home decided he should go home, but he's had three minor falls already. He doesn't want to go back, and won't admit that he needs full-time care. From my experience with my father-in-law, this is a common situation. So, we have to watch him very closely and keep monitoring the kidney function. We've set up a daily in-home nursing service, plus transportation to his medical appointments, and what we call "meals on wheels," which is a charitable volunteer service. I leave for Egypt in a week, and I'm got this nagging suspicion that some issues will come up whilst I'm gone. My two brothers will have to deal with it. I think we have everything in place, things like power of attorney, health care proxy, and that kind of stuff. Plus, I've done his application for Medicaid so the costs should be covered.

Stay tuned for a modelling update.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope you and he are ok. Egypt should be good and I am hoping you get a good rest/fun to take your mind off things! 

Look forward to to seeing the spitfire when you get some time.

Rob

Here is a quick post to get up to date. I gave her a couple of coats of Future (thinned a bit with isopropyl alcohol), and began the transfers. First up I added the fin flash, aligned as shown in the Tamiya instructions.

IMG_2964

I think I need to have the red portion of the fin flash extend over the leading edge of the fin - I can do this by "borrowing" some of the other red decals on the sheet. Is my thinking correct? By the way, I'm using the EagleCals decals here.

Next, I decided to add the roundels on the underside of the wing. Of course, these roundels need to be positioned over the cartridge ejection slot, and a rather large bump or blister. I knew this was going to be difficult with a decal, but I gave it a shot. First, I tried the Tamiya decal, using very hot water as I've learned to do with both Tamiya and Hasegawa transfers. Wow, no luck at all - I used a little bit of decal solvent to try and get it to conform, but all I got was wrinkles and ultimately rips in the decal itself. Ugly. Figuring I could do the exact same thing again and get a different result (seems logical, right?), I tried the EagleCals roundel. Woo boy, talk about major wrinkles - this was worse than the Tamiya decal. I wonder if anyone has had any success using decals in this spot on this model? Maybe I was just having a bad day...     :banghead:

So, no decals for the under wing roundels. Time to paint them on. Luckily, I just happen to have the Montex masking set for this kit, and it includes masks for the roundels and codes, as well as for the canopy. Not sure why I have this, as I used an Eduard masking set for the canopy. Anyway, first thing to do is add some alignment marks to the masks:

IMG_2962

This should help in making sure that everything is concentric when the individual pieces go down. I added some Scotch tape over the top of the masks so that all the pieces would come off the backing together. The masks were then positioned on the bottom of the wings, and the Scotch tape removed. First thing is to paint the white area, including where the red will be, so the center red mask and the mask for the white ring were removed and placed on the backing sheet. Some Post-It notes were used for additional masking, and some good old Gunze H11 Flat White sprayed on:

IMG_2963

You can see the big bump that gave me all the trouble trying to use a decal here. The Tamiya decal even had a cut out for the bump, but it still gave me fits. Anyway, while I wait for the white to dry, you can see the Colourcoats Medium Sea Grey and some Gunze Smoke Grey that I applied for the underside of the camo scheme. I know the bottom of the Spitfire in service got pretty dirty, but I don't want to overdo it.

Once the white is dry, the mask for the white ring will go on, and I'm sure it will give me some difficulty going over the bump. I expect it will have to be cut and tweaked a bit to sit down properly. Once that is on, then the red will be sprayed. Following that, the mask for the blue ring will be removed and the red area masked over. The blue will be sprayed last, and if I've done everything right I should end up with roundels on the bottom of the wings. I've actually never done this before, so wish me luck.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I think I need to have the red portion of the fin flash extend over the leading edge of the fin - I can do this by "borrowing" some of the other red decals on the sheet. Is my thinking correct?

yes

7617060184_3fb64dd173_o.jpgSpitfire Mk.IXC      1945 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

gives a very good idea of the general DFS finish as well.  Note the coloured disc on the blades tell you what the blades were made of. 

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/79363-questions-on-spitfire-propellers-merged?p=1771447#post1771447

again, pic from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

always good for a bit of inspiration ;) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Way to go with the painted roundels, Bill! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll pull the whole thing out brilliantly!

Ciao 

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about Dad and I hope you get him as settled as possible.

Nice work on the roundel masking Bill, looking forward to the results :) 

• Thanks 1

Remind me not to do that again. But it seems I have to, as I painted some nice Type D roundels on the wings when they should be type C. I guess I used the masks for the French markings. Hmm...this is going to be fun.

Cheers,

Bill (who should pay better attention)

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oops :( 

Don't do that again Bill :) 

Oh well, things come out nice when you do them twice.    :)

I removed the painted roundels easily enough, as they were Gunze Aqueous and the Medium Sea Grey was Colourcoats. I just have to do it all again. I'll just consider it practice. They came out pretty good, too, I was kinda chuffed.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Consider that your goof-up for this build. The rest should now be straightforward (relatively speaking).

Hope everything is ok with your dad and that you have a great time in Egypt.

Trevor 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Good news Bill, I knew you'd fix it :) 

As soon as I pulled the masks off, I thought "Oh s**t." Actually, I didn't think that, I said it. Loudly. Followed by an entire symposium of expletives. Then I had to go to confession, but I was absolved and am now just about finished with the repainting. Photos to follow.

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Consider that your goof-up for this build. The rest should now be straightforward (relatively speaking).

Hope everything is ok with your dad and that you have a great time in Egypt.

Thanks, Trevor. There have been other goof-ups in this build; this was simply the first soul-baring that I shared with the world. Normally, I don't post my mistakes - this is a distinct advantage of internet forums with regard to reputation building.    :)

But after thinking about it for a bit, I just had to post it because it's so darn funny.    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Then I had to go to confession, but I was absolved and am now just about finished with the repainting

So Brother Navy Bird has just been re-admitted to the congregation. Good. :rofl: Glad to know you were able to repaint the roundels, looking forward to those pics :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

OK, let's put this one to bed. Here was my initial result (in defense of my naughtiness, I was so anxious to paint my first roundels that I utterly forgot to ascertain that I was using the correct masks. Or, I just plain cocked it up.)

IMG_2965

IMG_2967

As I was about to pat myself on the back, the naughtiness became apparent. Oh dear! I thought about trying to modify what I had done, but that would involve changing both the red and blue elements, along with repainting some of the grey. Then it clicked - the roundels were done with Gunze Aqueous, and the grey was Colourcoats. A little isopropyl alcohol, and the Gunze should disappear (although it looks rather nasty whilst you're removing it). The isopropyl also removed the Future and the Gunze Smoke Grey, but I wasn't too worried about that. I was surprised that it also bit into the grey quite a bit. This had to be re-sprayed prior to doing the roundels again.

Anyway, here is where we now are. I'm not sure the ratios of the red/white/blue are 100% correct with these masks, but I think it's close enough for government work.

IMG_2968

IMG_2970

Now we'll attempt to add the rest of the transfers. Hopefully I will ne'er again cross this Rubicon of Naughtiness.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Off to Egypt on Sunday, not sure how much will be added by then. I'll try to check in whenever I have wi-fi. Apparently since I have an unlocked Verizon compatible phone (not purchased from them), they won't allow me to add an International plan to my phone. I can make cell calls, but only if I pay outrageous long-distance rates by the minute. How quaint! At least I have a Skype account and can use that over wi-fi (Verizon also won't allow wi-fi calls on my phone unless I use an app like Skype - which is absurd, since the phone hardware is capable - it's Verizon that's the culprit). I probably should just get a new phone, and pay my tribute to the Emperor. 

• Like 12

Nicely done Bill, they look perfect :) 

Some pre-holiday training for you (wait until at least 0:50 - you might even see Lady Di!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nicely done Bill, they look perfect :)

Some pre-holiday training for you (wait until at least 0:50 - you might even see Lady Di!)

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Those roundels look perfect from where I sit :worthy: :worthy: Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Perfect? Let's see, the red is the wrong colour, but it was the closest I had. I suspect it should not be RLM23 (Gunze H414). And the blue is FS15044 (Gunze H326), and I'm pretty sure the RAF didn't use US Insignia Blue in 1942. But nobody ever looks on the bottom, right? Except me, of course, I look at a lot of bottoms.

Oh gawd, The Bangles. Isn't it wonderful that "big hair" is over? I wonder what the Egyptians think about such silliness? IIRC, the song was one of many considered "culturally insensitive" after 9-11. I don't think I'll bring it up while I'm there in case it touches a nerve.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm using Colourcoats for my sprayed roundels now so that, if they don't look right, I can blame Jamie :D 

"culturally insensitive"? Wots dat den? The Bangles. Oh yes. Of course any comments on their attractiveness may be considered to be objectivising the fairer sex but hey, we need to discuss these things and understand each other's point of view. If it's alright with you dear…

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I survived! Well, other than a bit of pneumonia that somehow came back with me. I blame that on the airplane ride, not the bad camel breath. I'll get back to work on the big Spit once I feel a bit better. Here is a couple of pix from my trip - first is my daughter and I with one of our tour hosts (yup - it's that guy). But he was able to get us access to a lot of places that were either closed or off-limits to the commoners. Like in-between the paws of the Sphinx:

sphinx with dr z

And a fascinating afternoon tea with Mrs. Jehan Sadat at her home. What a charming lady.

mrs sadat

Not sure my daughter's "Nightmare Before Christmas" handbag matched the occasion, but whatever.   :)

We had a great time, it was probably the most amazing trip I've had (until Telford 2019, of course). I took over 1,000 photos, and I'm really glad that I no longer use film. That would have cost more than the trip! Good to be home, though.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

Wow, that looked like an interesting trip and meeting Important People too!

I feel for you with the pneumonia. I had that recently and pericarditis too - really knocks the stuffing out of you. Plastic fettling is the perfect cure.

Trevor

• Like 1