1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

17 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. I think the last three shots in the "Rolls Royce Merlin Engines" walkaround topic link are actually Griffons.

yes, but I think they are listed as such, 

17 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

. It's interesting that the oil tank is grey-green in most of the shots (although silver in one). Tamiya have you paint the tank AS-12, which is "Bare Metal Silver" but now I'm wondering whether grey-green is more appropriate for wartime?

"it depends"

at some point, late  43 or in early 44 IIRC there was a switch to use grey green for all internals, before only the cockpit  (and engine bearers?)  were, the rest was aluminium paint.

the two top shots a Mk.VIII in italy, early 44, (detail in the Flickr link) and the "engine overhaul 1943"  outside the hangar w/bike,  show aluminium, the Mk.VIII having the bearers in Aluminium as well.   

So, it depends on when the airframe you are making was built.   

HTH   

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

yes, but I think they are listed as such, 

"it depends"

at some point, late  43 or in early 44 IIRC there was a switch to use grey green for all internals, before only the cockpit  (and engine bearers?)  were, the rest was aluminium paint.

the two top shots a Mk.VIII in italy, early 44, (detail in the Flickr link) and the "engine overhaul 1943"  outside the hangar w/bike,  show aluminium, the Mk.VIII having the bearers in Aluminium as well.   

So, it depends on when the airframe you are making was built.  

My plan at present is to model BS152 AE-W, 402 Sqn RCAF March 1943, so I think I'll go with aluminum as is shown in the "engine overhaul" photo. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Well, at least I have something to work with now instead of just a big chunk of boring black plastic. I applied a MIG stone grey wash and some silver highlighting, and added the engine to the bearers.

IMG_2820

IMG_2823

The fit is extraordinary, as we expect from Tamiya. In addition to a couple of spots where glue is applied, the engine is secured in place with a screw, as you can see here on the back of the firewall. The adjoining nut is captured inside the supercharger.

IMG_2824

I've removed the panel framework from the sprue, and I'm trying to figure out the best way/time to add some additional hoses and wires. Some should go on before the framework, others after. What you see so far is OOB (other than the intercooler oil tank at the top of the firewall that I haven't added yet) but I think it can stand a few more details. Do I intend to add everything, a la the photos posted previously of the real beastie? Not a chance! I may be a modeller, but I'm not insane. No, wait...there seems to be a logical fallacy at play there. Don't shoot me if some of my hose/cable/fluid line/ignition wire installations are fictitious. Kind of hard to tell where everything goes.   :)

See those two pins on the back of the firewall? They push into poly caps that are part of the cockpit assembly. I tested it, and it is quite secure. I don't think any glue will be necessary. I test fit the coolant tank that goes above the propeller reduction gear housing, and it fits perfect. Nice. Why don't I build Tamiya kits more often?   :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Why don't I build Tamiya kits more often?   :banghead:

I found myself wondering about the same, lately :winkgrin: In fact, I think my next build will be another Tamiya....

Excellent job with the engine and all, so far :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 2

Hi mates,

I'm off for a week - back to Florida and our time share. No WDW this time, because there will be no kids! Maybe I can finally get to relax as I await the results of two (count 'em two!) new biopsies. Most likely benign, but with my history it's always good to check in the lab. I hope those youngsters manning the microscopes realise just how important us old geezers are to their continued employment.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I'm back, and at least I can say it was a cheap date. We belong to DVC, so our rooms were already paid for a long time ago, and we're also an annual pass-holder (another little thing that wifey did when I wasn't looking) so we didn't have to pay for admission. She also has been collecting Disney gift cards that she requested as birthday gifts, etc. and we paid for just about all other expenses with those. And we got a good deal on the airfare. And the weather was beautiful...I really can't complain. Besides, if I get any nasty looks when I add to my stash, I'll just get out the receipts for all the Disney trinkets. I may be the only one in my neighbourhood that has a replica clock from the Haunted Mansion (Phantom Manor, I think, for you Parisians.)

I have to admit that the new Avatar attraction Flight of Passage (a simulator where you're riding a Banshee) is pretty much unbelievable. Incredible technology - I wonder if we could use it to educate instead of entertain. Nah, what am I thinking?

So, the results. One lesion that was suspected of being squamous cell carcinoma was benign, and the one suspected of being melanoma is not yet determined. It's a severe dysplastic nevus and the sample they took is about as close to being melanoma as it can be without being melanoma. I have to go back and have a larger chunk hacked out so they can be sure. Kind of like drilling a core sample from the ocean floor. Apparently, my weekly infusions of IgG to boost my immune system puts me at a higher risk of skin cancer. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm going to go back and put some more greeblies on the Merlin...the heck with all this other crap.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

.the heck with all this other crap.

Exactly! Stay strong and best of luck.

Looking forward to more job on the Merlin :Tasty:

Ciao

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I have to admit that the new Avatar attraction Flight of Passage (a simulator where you're riding a Banshee) is pretty much unbelievable.

You get to ride one of these?

McDonnell_Douglas_F2H-2_Banshee_US_Marin

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beard said:

You get to ride one of these?

I wish! It was more like one of these:

bansheeroare

Not exactly what Mr. McDonnell had in mind.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Good news Bill, except for the drilling, of course.

Ask for the tools man, the only way to make such visits bearable in my experience :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Not exactly what Mr. McDonnell had in mind.

I think it would have been well cool if he had designed a carrier jet that looked like that!

Best wishes for the further test results Bill :)

Keith

• Like 3