1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

At least you found it before buying it all again!

All my PE/AM stuff goes straight into the box of the kit it was bought for, so hopefully I won't come up against that problem!

Hopefully.......

Ian

• Like 3

On 3/11/2017 at 2:18 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...after all, it's not as though they're Seafires.  Let alone Sea Furies.

Well said that man.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:18 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

At least you found it before buying it all again!

All my PE/AM stuff goes straight into the box of the kit it was bought for, so hopefully I won't come up against that problem!

Hopefully.......

Ian

Same here... same hope ... :banghead: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 02:56, Navy Bird said:

Holy end of the rainbow, Batman!

I was minding my own business, just managing my stash over on Scalemates. I was shocked to see that it showed that I own the Eduard "Big Ed" set for this kit - surely I meant to put it in my wish list and clicked the wrong button and it went into my stash list. I was curious, though, so I went to my file cabinet (all my Big Ed sets are in separate file folders, complete with a label so I can find them quick - what a nerd!) and there was a file labelled "1:32 Tamiya Spitfire IXc."

I'm like WTF? So I pulled out the folder, opened up the Big Ed packet, and all these goodies fell out:

Are you kidding me?  

I have absolutely no recollection of buying this set - or putting it in a folder for that matter. If I hadn't seen this in my stash manager at Scalemates, I would have either built the model without it, or bought it a second time! 

The packet had a Sprue Brothers sticker on it, so I think I'll log in over there and see when I bought it. 

Can I stop getting older now please?

No, wait, that comes with getting colder too, and I don't want to do that. Aye Ca-rumba.    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill,

I know what you mean, I did bought a metal barrel for one my Sherman project,

I received it from Han, enjoy it as nice piece of improvement...^_^

Then I put it in the Sherman box and figure out that there already is a metal barrel included in the kit :doh:

:angry:to myself !

Good job, still follow you.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up Bill and I'm pleased you linked to this from your Canberra thread otherwise my 1/72 filter (in my head) would have missed it!

Page 3 and I'm already lusting over the mascot pivot drills...

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, gentlemen. As I mentioned earlier, this build will take a long time. I really, really, really want to make sure I get everything right. First, though, I've got a couple of group build commitments that come with - drat - deadlines! Guess I need to attend to those first...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The diversions, group builds, and side projects are (for the most part) finished and out of the way. Building the Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire is underway again!   :)  :)  :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Since the diminutive XP-56 that I just built won't fit in my display case, where oh where am I going to put this one?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The diversions, group builds, and side projects are (for the most part) finished and out of the way. Building the Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire is underway again!   :)  :)  :)

Wahoo!

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Since the diminutive XP-56 that I just built won't fit in my display case, where oh where am I going to put this one?

Replace dining room table with floodlit display case specifically for the Spitfire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hi Bill 

I am sorry that I am a year and a few  months late I do have a note !!!.

This is great as I have started researching for a 32nd scale Spitfire. A MK V not a Tamiya one though unfortunately.  

I will watch with much interest. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Thanks mates. Just to make sure I don't cock it up, I have the magnum opus:

IMG_2585

Signed by the Head Honcho Hisself:

IMG_2586

Boy, big shoes to fill. And there are so many parts - yikes!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

and again yes. 👍

John

Edit: Oops sorry, forgot I'd already contributed, but it still applies

I did too, but my comment was aimed at the fact that our esteemed colleague and fellow BMer Navy Bird has finally resumed work on this project ... :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Procopius said:

Wahoo!

Replace dining room table with floodlit display case specifically for the Spitfire.

Now this is an interesting concept. I'm seeing a glass display case the same size as the dining room table, but only 12 inches or so deep so it can be set up on legs, and we have room for our legs under the table when we're dining. How would I build such a thing, and more importantly how can I get wifey to approve its construction?    :hmmm:

19 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Glad this one is back on track.

Pete

Me too. I haven't built in 1:32 since...well, I don't know but it was a long time ago. I switched to 1:72 because more would fit in the display case and there was a much larger selection of subjects (this was back in the 80s). Plus, I could complete a lot more 1:72 models in the time it took to build one 1:32 model.

What really changed my mind was a big Tomcat model - the Revell 1:32 kit. I went all out on this one, lowering the slats and flaps, raised the spoilers, opened up the avionics bays, scratchbuilt the cockpit, painted the Pukin' Dogs markings on the tail - it won a Gold at the IPMS Northeast US Regional contest in 1984. But there was no place to store it, so I made a box out of heavy cardboard, reinforcing the edges with duct tape, and put it in storage. Unfortunately, several other boxes, much heavier, ended up stacked on top of it and my lousy handmade box collapsed. The model was, shall we say, damaged. I still have it, maybe I'll take a photo of it, or its pieces, sometime. I suppose I could repair it if I wanted to...

18 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Gotta love a Spitfire build!

Watching with lots of interest!

Trevor

Yeah baby, Spitfire!    :)

Right, this is a really nice kit. Let's do some more work. Since I have all these aftermarket goodies, I think I should use them. First, though, I have to compliment Barracuda on the nice colour instructions they included with their sets. I especially like the technical term "Screeee!"

IMG_2589

The lower sidewall on the starboard side is a separate moulding in the kit, and Barracuda have you replacing part of it with a resin piece, like so:

IMG_2587

After a nice slice, the parts mate well.

IMG_2588

There are more resin pieces that are part of the sidewall assembly, and these will go on at a later stage. I have to study all of the instructions in greater detail to make sure I assemble all of this in a proper manner. For example, Tamiya have you attach the sidewall to the cockpit assembly, and Barracuda have you attach it to the fuselage. I don't know if that will make a big difference, knowing what I do about the fit of Tamiya kits I suspect it won't. Best to try some test fittings and develop a plan - which I can always change after I make a mess out of something.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

First, though, I have to compliment Barracuda on the nice colour instructions they included with their sets. I especially like the technical term "Screeee!"

IMG_2589

Roy does that in the instructions for the 1/72nd scale EE Lightning cockpit - and he's quite right about the sound 😀.

Glad to see you picking this up again. I shall be watching happily... knowing how good your work is in 1/72nd, this is going to be a sight to see!

• Like 2

Just a quick update...

I've been studying the instructions from Tamiya, Barracuda, and Eduard and I have a plan of sorts. Someone on here (@keefr22 maybe?) has a signature that says something about a plan just being a basis for change. I have a suspicion that will turn out to be right! It's all a bit confusing at first, because Eduard have you add photoetch to parts that Barracuda don't have you use, and things like that. One thing for sure - this will be the most detailed cockpit I've ever built. The best thing to do with such a big project is to treat the sub-assemblies as if they were models in their own right. So one big project becomes a bunch of smaller ones - easier to manage that way, I think.

Remember a few pages back when I was drilling out the lightening holes on the bulkheads? There was one cross brace on a bulkhead where I decided not to drill out some holes because I thought it was too delicate and some of the holes might break into each other. Well, Eduard has a fix for that - in the next photo you can see the bulkhead and the replacement brace:

IMG_2591

I love optical illusions. The Eduard part looks shorter than the brace in that photo, but it's not. I removed the Tamiya brace, and replaced it with the photoetch.

IMG_2594

I believe the shoulder harness attaches to this piece, so I ran an extra bead of superglue around the attachment points. I hope this holds, as it would probably be a pain later if it breaks off. I was also going to drill some holes in the seat bracket, as Tamiya skipped these entirely, but instead I'll just use the photoetch pieces from Eduard:

IMG_2593

With a little wash, they should look fine. For now, there are more little pieces of photoetch going on, like these on the rudder pedals:

IMG_2597

This seems to match photos I have of a Mk. IX cockpit, but there are from a restored warbird. I think I will try to find some period photos just to be sure. A big part of the work on the Cockpit is to get all the parts together for initial painting with the interior RAF grey-green. My warbird photos show some of the things in the pit being silver, like the rudder pedals and the tubes they're attached to that control the cables. Is that right for mid-war? Or would everything be grey-green? Is there a Spitfire expert in the house? @gingerbob?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Someone on here (@keefr22 maybe?) has a signature that says something about a plan just being a basis for change.

Good memory Bill!!

Nice holy holey bits there!

Keith - whose plans never survive first contact with the enemy either!

• Like 1