1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This one...

45990702484_1b7f0d26d6_z_d.jpg

Anyone build this yet?  We have plenty go time to go...

I built one of their Mi-8 kits a few years ago and found that it builds into a very nice replica of the real thing, and I like the real thing a lot (having actually flown in one, though an unarmed civil version) so a very heavily armed Mi-8 certainly gets my vote.

Will you be building one from the Soviet Afghan involvement?

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

the Soviet Afghan involvement?

Oh yes...This one, a, AN-2 and a Frogfoot.  I'll need help with the Colt.  I can't find any decent profiles from that 1980s era from Afghanistan even though they were probably all over the place.

I might just give it some red stars and call it a day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Oh yes...This one, a, AN-2 and a Frogfoot.  I'll need help with the Colt.  I can't find any decent profiles from that 1980s era from Afghanistan even though they were probably all over the place.

I might just give it some red stars and call it a day.

To be fair with the An-2 operational Soviet ones all seem to be in the same colour scheme with the only markings being starts and numbers, though I'm not sure if the Soviets took any into Afghanistan, though they were definitely in use in the Soviet republics which bordered it so it still fits the theme. The Afghans did use them and I think there are even decals for them.

I could always make the An-2 an Afghani ship.  I have seen a profile of that one.  I'll have to paint the roundels...😱

45801434715_e0195101b6_b_d.jpg

I am pretty sure they are on the fuselage sides and on top of the upper wing, none of which we can see in this image.

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I could always make the An-2 an Afghani ship.  I have seen a profile of that one.  I'll have to paint the roundels...😱

45801434715_e0195101b6_b_d.jpg

I am pretty sure they are on the fuselage sides and on top of the upper wing, none of which we can see in this image.

Those markings are not correct for the time period of the GB and are the current Afghan markings (which they put on all their museum pieces/gate guards/wrecks), have a look at this link and you will see the 2 types which were in use during the 80's, the most commonly seen one of which is the one with the Soviet star in the centre.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Roundels_of_Afghanistan

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

have a look at this link

Thanks for that!  Phew...I think I might be able to find those decals easier.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

have you considered contacting the AsianAirArms SIG

I haven't.  Now I will.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the AsianAirArms SIG link.  That has a lot of cool stuff there.  I found a sheet that has the correct Afghan roundels but now I am considering just building the Colt OOB for fun, not for the GB.  That GB is going to be a tough one for me because two weeks after it begins, I head off to Ireland for a 2700km bike ride that'll take me about 5 weeks.  Fun?  You bet...but not much chance to do any building along the way! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @John D.C. Masters have you considered contacting the AsianAirArms SIG @asianairarms. They might have a possibility of a source of decals in 1/72 for Afghanistan ? 

Thanks for posting that link Dennis, should have remembered myself, especially as I am a member!!

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks for the AsianAirArms SIG link.  That has a lot of cool stuff there.  I found a sheet that has the correct Afghan roundels but now I am considering just building the Colt OOB for fun, not for the GB.  That GB is going to be a tough one for me because two weeks after it begins, I head off to Ireland for a 2700km bike ride that'll take me about 5 weeks.  Fun?  You bet...but not much chance to do any building along the way! 

Could be a new form of "extreme modelling" trying to do it whilst riding a bike!

I wonder if you could rig up a pedal powered compressor for the airbrush :) .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 3:52 AM, modelling minion said:

Excellent Whiskey, falls exactly in line with the plan for the GB and the fact that it is personal to you makes it an even better build and I look forward to seeing it.

I did say attempt LOL!

• Haha 1

If completion success was a requirement I would've been thrown out of this place long, long ago.  😅

Still trying to figure out why they keep me around.  😕

• Like 1

Tempted to try and get a Mitsubishi F-1 for this GB but need to find decals for the timeframe, not sure what options the 1/72 Hasegawa boxing has.

Edited by Blitz23
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, Blitz23 said:

Tempted to try and get a Mitsubishi F-1 for this GB but need to find decals for the timeframe, not sure what options the 1/72 Hasegawa boxing has.

Can't believe I've only just noticed this response, really sorry!

As for the Mitsubishi F-1 I think it's a fantastic choice, and the good thing about them is that they wore the same colour scheme for their entire service with very few exceptions such as the experimental darker scheme worn for maritime strike late in their career so you should be okay with the kit decals unless they are for an anniversary which is outside the time frame of the GB.

• 1 month later...

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I want to  build  attempt to build for this.  I'm 95% sure it'll be another wingy thing.  But I'm having a hell of a time trying to pick between the Su-17M3, MiG-21R, or MiG-23.

WWES?  Yes, yes, I know.  However I also know there will be no way I'll have enough time for all of them.  :tomato:

• Haha 2

build the Sukhoi!!!!

It can join my Su-15.

..and just to get into the sprier of things here's a classified briefing from or CIA friends on said region.....remember you computer will self destruct in 30 seconds!!!

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP87T00495R000600630001-5.pdf

• Haha 2

I'll have to go paw through the kit again.  Not going to lie though, the 17 is the front runner of the 3.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the 17 may have a recon option from the area.....:hmmm:

• Like 1