1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

On 10/29/2018 at 3:03 AM, modelling minion said:

Thanks to Enzo's executive decision on next years GB's we have a slot, and the dates for it are July 6th to October 27th (my birthday!) so if you don't have anything suitable in your stash's then now is a good time to have a think about what you want to do. If you're in the UK then Telford would be a great opportunity to get something suitable.

is there a subtle little hint for birthday pressies in that post? :whistle: :D

Just be careful with the candles on the cake.....we'll probably see the grow from down here! :rofl2:

I wish some manufacturer would release a proper and accurate version of the F-111 (oh please Tamiya a 1/48th version!!! :pray:), that would have been a definite for me, but for now I'll stick with the Su-15.....though I am still open for temptation!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

is there a subtle little hint for birthday pressies in that post? :whistle: :D

Just be careful with the candles on the cake.....we'll probably see the grow from down here! :rofl2:

I wish some manufacturer would release a proper and accurate version of the F-111 (oh please Tamiya a 1/48th version!!! :pray:), that would have been a definite for me, but for now I'll stick with the Su-15.....though I am still open for temptation!

I'll happily take pressies, no qualms about that AT ALL!!

You are right about the candles, probably be visible from space!

Agree about the F-111, a really good one from Tamiya would be great, though unlikely. I do like the idea of your Su-15 still, a great looking aircraft.

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...for now I'll stick with the Su-15.....though I am still open for temptation!

Plus 1 for you doing the Su-15! Go on, go on, go on, you know you want to :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Does anyone have any info on the An-2 being used by the USSR in Afghanistan?  I am sure they were used, but to find pictures is difficult...

-John-

Hi John,

Like you I'm sure that An-2's were used in Afghanistan, I will have a look through my references and see what I can find.

Craig.

Found this website of the Kabul aviation museum ? The An-2 is in Afghan markings ? http://silverhawkauthor.com/warplanes-preserved-in-the-kabul-aviation-museum-afghanistan_365.html

Im still loking for Soviet use of the type in the Afghanistan war.

Dennis 

Thanks Dennis.  That is a good picture of the An-2, so thank you.

As a museum...well...those are excellent pictures of a real scrapyard.  I particularly like the Mi-8 with the mural painted on the side.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any more ideas for what they might be building for the GB yet?

I've been thinking about my decision to build the Taiwanese S-2 Tracker and think that, as I am in over my head with GB commitments for the next 12 months, I might try something more "achievable", not exactly sure what yet but possibly something Mig-like to counter the many JASDF subjects which look likely to appear, but will have a look through the kit and decal stash to see what i can come up with, hopefully I will find something a bit unusual.

17 hours ago, Ernie said:

So, in looking at the map, Hawaii looks to be in play; if so would a Hawaii ANG F-4C circa 1982 be suitable for this??

Yes and yes! Hawaii is just in the limits on the map and F-4's are always welcome, will she still have been in the air defence grey scheme in 1982 or would she have received camo by then?

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Yes and yes! Hawaii is just in the limits on the map and F-4's are always welcome, will she still have been in the air defence grey scheme in 1982 or would she have received camo by then?

Thank you MM, yes, she will be in the all grey scheme! Should look pretty good with the colorful tail band, will make the overall grey less bland looking👍

• Like 1