1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could do that or add WW1 and the Japanese/Russian war which was 1904-05. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War

This would add more options for Ship & Figure builders. I know the USN captured german coaling stations in the Pacific during WW1 so that may also be an option for some ? 

Dennis

That would certainly be a bit different Dennis, but personally I doubt it would get the support required as most of the subjects built for GB's are aircraft of one variety or another.

• Like 1

I think "Modern Asia 2010" and on would be an interesting one, the boom in new equipment in the last 10 (ok 9) years has been amazing. Or start it from "2000 - Asia in the New Millennium".

• Like 3

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think "Modern Asia 2010" and on would be an interesting one, the boom in new equipment in the last 10 (ok 9) years has been amazing. Or start it from "2000 - Asia in the New Millennium".

If you like any colour as long as it is grey with some exceptions of some anniversary special markings.  Sure, some interesting types had been commissioned with some Asian Air Forces but also a lots ended up scraped as well.

The 1990s on the other hand had a huge type diversity of aircraft in colourfull paint schemes as can be seen on this pictures I took during that time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

The 1990s on the other hand had a huge type diversity of aircraft in colourfull paint schemes as can be seen on this pictures I took during that time.

Both of these are excellent suggestions (excellent set of pics too Peter, thank for sharing them) and are making me lean very heavily towards a GB that starts at the 1990's at the earliest rather than the immediate post war/60's/70's versions. Would it be too big a time frame to run one from 1990 until today? It's the same as has been proposed for the NATO/WARPAC GB's and would allow a huge variety of equipment (lets not forget we want this to be inclusive and have ships, subs and armour too) and in a great variety of schemes and markings, and whilst it is true that most of the aircraft in Peter's pics were also in use in previous decades the colour schemes a lot are in were not, such as the Mig-29's in Indian aggressor markings. This time period would also allow the covering of the thawing and now re-freezing of relations between the west and Russia and China.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

mmm but a lot of these could have qualified for Asia 80's, 70's.........gosh even 60's!

Exactly my point - a lot of old stuff was still around which was gone 10 years later, giving a much larger choice as much more disappeared than was introduced.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Colourful doesn't necessary mean interesting!

So what does makes it interesting to you? Isn't the colour scheme a big part in making a model interesting as most of us choose models with unique schemes or markings?

Cheers, Peter

hey Craig @modelling minion, do you think we could ask the mods for some extra time? quite some of us are struggling to finish.. I myself could not decide which of both to let go.....

in the F-4 gb we miraculously got an extra week..... :) :) 

would be important to notify the GB members accordingly in order to have some more gallery entries!!

thanks, 
i thought this would be worth a try ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

hey Craig @modelling minion, do you think we could ask the mods for some extra time? quite some of us are struggling to finish.. I myself could not decide which of both to let go.....

in the F-4 gb we miraculously got an extra week..... :) :) 

would be important to notify the GB members accordingly in order to have some more gallery entries!!

thanks, 
i thought this would be worth a try ;) 

I'll give it a go, there's no harm in asking is there.

If we get the go ahead I will let those of us still actively taking part of the extra time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Good news folks we have an extension!

So @trickyrich, @Romeo Alpha Yankee, @exdraken, @Rod The Fixer, @Dave_R, @bianfuxia, @PhantomBigStu, @Pappy, @madcat911, and @Foxbat you now have until November 3rd to get your projects across the line.

That’s good news, noticed some issues with the canopy that needing addressing and went down a rabbit hole, nothing that actually threatens completion but a extra few days is welcome, still might be done by Sunday 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry that you won't make the deadline Ray, but I look forward to your finished builds.

Thanks Craig, I may get my modelling mojo back after this weekend after watching some RAAF fast jets and heavy metal at the Edinburgh Air Show in Adelaide.

• Like 2

Well thats it folks the GB is over.

All that remains is for me to give a huge thank you to all of you who have taken part, we have achieved a good gallery with a nice range of subjects and countries covered with everything from a submarine to fast jets and from the Soviet Union to Bangladesh. I shall get a poll open soon so that we can all vote for the subject we think is the best, no prizes this time I'm afraid!

Once again an huge thank you for your support.

Craig.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

.....and I'm a complete failure with this GB!!!  :shrug:

I just ran out of steam for this build, got completely distracted by the Hind (she's eating up huge amounts of time) and generally other stuff.

Also have been reorganising my models selling off a lot I've lost interest in, around $1000 worth so far. But all is not lost am re-stocking on some super cool stuff! :D

But I haven't completely given up on her, there's not a lot to go so I'll plan to finish her in the KUTA, willl update current thread in the meantime when I can.

@modelling minion, top job running this show Craig, I promise to do better next time! :D

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I promise to do better next time!

You know I will hold you to that don't you Rich!

I know how easy it is to get distracted with other builds and it is one of the stumbling blocks for those of us who often (always) find ourselves involved in more than one GB at a time, I know it happens to me.

I look forward to seeing your excellent Su-22 in the KUTA GB soon.

• Thanks 1

Good group build everyone. Great to see some fantastic jets in the gallery. Also having a completed ship with lots of Helos is unusual. Many ships are entered but not many get finished.

It's very hard to pick a favourite to vote for as many deserve to win.  

Colin 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

Craig you have the top votes for the starfighter in the poll, Totally deserved it’s magnificent!

Thanks Paul, you are way too kind as usual.

A bit embarrassing to come first in the poll for my own GB, I can assure you though that I did not vote for myself! Congratulations to Glynn ( @Hewy ) for coming second with his excellent Afghan Mi-8 and to the following you all share the third place ; Glynn ( @Hewy again!) with his Mi-24, Simon ( @Covjets13) with his fantastic F-14 and Paul ( @Dansk ) for his superb Mig-29 which I thought would win.

And a final huge thank you to all of you who took part and made the GB the fun experience that it was, i hope to see you all soon in another GB.

Craig.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Paul, you are way too kind as usual.

A bit embarrassing to come first in the poll for my own GB, I can assure you though that I did not vote for myself! Congratulations to Glynn ( @Hewy ) for coming second with his excellent Afghan Mi-8 and to the following you all share the third place ; Glynn ( @Hewy again!) with his Mi-24, Simon ( @Covjets13) with his fantastic F-14 and Paul ( @Dansk ) for his superb Mig-29 which I thought would win.

And a final huge thank you to all of you who took part and made the GB the fun experience that it was, i hope to see you all soon in another GB.

Craig.

Well it was indeed a fine  model of a 104,that i saw first hand at telford,so well deserverd craig, thoroughly enjoyed this gb, cheers pal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1