1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

19 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hadn’t planned on entering this, finding a more interesting subject might be tricky but if I can acquire decals for an 80s RAAF hornet there’s an airfix kit unloved in a local shop for them 

It would be great if you joined the fun Stu and an RAAF Hornet fits the bill nicely as they were delivered from 1984 and it would be good to have the venerable Mirage's successor in the same GB as the Mirage itself. 

If the RAAF option falls through then there were plenty of US Navy and USMC Hornets that ere stationed in the area covered by the GB.

There is this decal sheet at Hannants that has an option that fits the bill nicely;  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD72027

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It would be great if you joined the fun Stu and an RAAF Hornet fits the bill nicely as they were delivered from 1984 and it would be good to have the venerable Mirage's successor in the same GB as the Mirage itself. 

If the RAAF option falls through then there were plenty of US Navy and USMC Hornets that ere stationed in the area covered by the GB.

There is this decal sheet at Hannants that has an option that fits the bill nicely;  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD72027

Cheers for the link having just done a 70s RAAF mirage as part of the frog GB might just pick the hornet up tomorrow.....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Cheers for the link having just done a 70s RAAF mirage as part of the frog GB might just pick the hornet up tomorrow.....

I have some older 1/72 RAAF Hornet decals for 80s jets. Let my know if you want a set. I might even start one of mine!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have some older 1/72 RAAF Hornet decals for 80s jets. Let my know if you want a set. I might even start one of mine!

No need, fine with ordering from Hannants, thanks for the offer anyway and yes I did buy the kit today :) though I do have a question as to where I can find a paint guide for the airframe in the hidecao set.....

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

8 weeks!!!!!   :frantic:

Yes, time flies when you're having fun!

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Wow, I better get my RSAF Skyhawk done so I can get a RAAF build started!

Excellent Ray, another RAAF bird would be most welcome.

5 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

Count me in as well, I am from India, this has lots of potential

You are most welcome to join in and yes India has lots of potential.

Just pick a subject that is relevant to the time frame (1980-1989) and start a thread.

Just out of curiosity would you be building an aircraft, tank or ship?

55 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

My forte is tanks, so maybe I could do a T55 or T72

That's brilliant as we haven't got any armour in the gallery yet and I do like Soviet built tanks, with the T-55 being my favourite, so either choice will be very welcome.

51 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

I am currently out of my hometwon, so I can only get to the build in about a month

That's ok, you start as soon as you can. I have seen really good models built over a weekend so having around 4 weeks shouldn't be a problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Ha! This means I could build two kits and qualify in four GeeBees...

the Bronco for 2 and the Grumman Duck for the Floatplane and the Film GB (Murphy’s War)...🤣 

I like your style John, and look forward to both your Bronco and your Duck (who doesn't like Murphy's War!).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

“Style” is an interesting word...I think it is more a type of insanity brought about by Modeler’s Deprivation Syndrome combined with 2200km on a bicycle in the pouring rain. 🌧🚴🏼‍♂️🍀😬

That's what happens when you decide to holiday on the West coast of Ireland, where the sun always shines, it's just hidden by a thick layer of clouds which are always full of water.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay team Asia, as we approach the end of the GB (only 11 days to go!) my mind has moved on to the possibility of another Asian themed GB exactly the same as this one but a different decade. The 2 obvious choices are either the 70's or 90's but there is also the possibility of going to the start of the post WWI era and covering from the end of the war until 1959 as was recently done with the NATO/WARPAC theme. I am inclined to give the 70's a miss next year as there is already the Vietnam GB up for the vote and there is no way we could cover Asia in the 70's (or 60's but could just get away with Indochina in the 50's) without having virtually identical builds and stepping on our @trickyrich's toes for the Vietnam GB, so I leave it open to you guys, let me know what you think and also if there are any volunteers for co-host.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

the possibility of going to the start of the post WWI era and covering from the end of the war until 1959

Now that sounds promising!  Think of all those Japanese/Chinese/Manchurian birds...Flying Tigers...and Spitfires...and some more Spitfires even...And Korea!  Oh yes...I have a French helicopter from '52 I would to do...😋

With only 11 days togo in this GB, I am afraid I might not get the Indonesian Bronco in on time.  I will start it, however, and put it up a RFI when it is finished.  I'm a little sad, but that's ok.  Its still part of the 'Year I was Born' GB...😀

Edited by John D.C. Masters

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

possibility of going to the start of the post WWI era and covering from the end of the war until 1959 as was recently done with the NATO/WARPAC theme

Could do that or add WW1 and the Japanese/Russian war which was 1904-05. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War

This would add more options for Ship & Figure builders. I know the USN captured german coaling stations in the Pacific during WW1 so that may also be an option for some ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

broadening the appeal

Got it!  May have to try some kind of field gun...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Russo-Japanese_war_weapons_of_Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Russo-Japanese_war_weapons_of_Russia

Interesting time...Old 19th century stuff on the brink of the technological nightmare that was the Great War.

• Like 2