1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

There are quite a few places that operate like that, show it's available then as soon as you order and pay for it they tell you it's not in stock, Hobby Easy is bad like that. Or in a lot of cases for me they won't ship outside the EU or charge ridiculous amounts of postage (45 Euro for a 8 Euro bit!).

I'm still waiting for an order I places near 3 months ago!!! Seems the paint in the order was out of stock so they're holding the whole order till it comes in! :wall:

To top it off I ordered a full resin cockpit/interior for my 1/35th Mi-24 from a company in the US 3 months ago and have heard nothing. It had to be cast special order.... but 3 months! They don't want to reply to my e-mails so I'm going to get PayPal to hunt them down! :fight:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I here your pain there Andy, it would be so much simpler if they showed their actual stock levels.

I know its a bit distant, 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1824.htm

However  is pretty good at showing stock in or out. They don't carry everything but might just have something you need. No connection to them just a happy customer.

Dennis

• Like 1

Good to know I'm not alone. Kingkit have sorted me out this time, I've bought and sold with them and never had a problem so far. I know Sprue Brothers by reputation Dennis, but post from the US these days is ruinous so I have to REALLY want something to go down that route (which I did last month - the last few leFH-18M kits left in the wild were all in the US, so I just grinned and bore it).

This morning I are mostly making clocks for a show next weekend. More modelling later.

Andy

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 1:00 AM, trickyrich said:

They don't want to reply to my e-mails so I'm going to get PayPal to hunt them down! :fight:

Good idea Rich, one of the good things about using Paypal is that they will go looking for your money or help to give the sellers a gentle prod.

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good idea Rich, one of the good things about using Paypal is that they will go looking for your money or help to give the sellers a gentle prod.

yeah especially now as it seems the website is offline, according to the post on the main page, and is no longer taking orders. They're happy to refund any money.......just send them an e-mail!! :wall:

I've since ordered a mass of PE bits from PART (a Polish company) to re-build the entire cockpit/cabin.......what have I gotten myself into here!  Verlinden did do a resin cockpit/cabin for them but I can't find is anywhere!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

yeah especially now as it seems the website is offline, according to the post on the main page, and is no longer taking orders. They're happy to refund any money.......just send them an e-mail!! :wall:

I've since ordered a mass of PE bits from PART (a Polish company) to re-build the entire cockpit/cabin.......what have I gotten myself into here!  Verlinden did do a resin cockpit/cabin for them but I can't find is anywhere!

What wonderful customer service!

Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead with your 1/35 Hind, I look forward to your build.

Talking of building Soviet/Russian stuff I'm thinking of proposing a GB covering the end of the Soviet Union and the subsequent republics from 1989 until now, do you think it would prove popular?

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Talking of building Soviet/Russian stuff I'm thinking of proposing a GB covering the end of the Soviet Union and the subsequent republics from 1989 until now, do you think it would prove popular?

:yahoo: and with bells on and :elephant: and dancing :penguin: as well.....will leave the :poop:for another time! :D

....and I'd be #2 on the list!!!

That's a great idea and a huge range of really cool stuff as well, especially with them playing in the Crimea and Syria!! Plus all of Putin's new wonder weapons (like I wonder how he's going to pay for them??).

Plus with all the former states/republics!! 

Awesome idea, go for it! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

:yahoo: and with bells on and :elephant: and dancing :penguin: as well.....will leave the :poop:for another time! :D

....and I'd be #2 on the list!!!

That's a great idea and a huge range of really cool stuff as well, especially with them playing in the Crimea and Syria!! Plus all of Putin's new wonder weapons (like I wonder how he's going to pay for them??).

Plus with all the former states/republics!! 

Awesome idea, go for it! 

Consider it done my friend, I'll get a thread up and running.

I'm about to cook dinner, so can you save me the time and add me to the list? That's how excited I am!!  :D

Will visit thread later and make it official.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Werner's build has turned on the light bulb for my second build which fit's the bill in timescale and interest it'll be either the Mitsubishi T-2

or F-1 now I'm torn between camo or do I go Blue Impulse which were active in the early eighties?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Well Werner's build has turned on the light bulb for my second build which fit's the bill in timescale and interest it'll be either the Mitsubishi T-2

or F-1 now I'm torn between camo or do I go Blue Impulse which were active in the early eighties?

Both are great choices Steve, but if I had to pick I would vote for the T-2 as we don't have one in the GB yet and a certain @Enzo Matrix had mentioned that would build an F-1. As for the colour scheme I would be very tempted to do one either in camo (they used the same colours as the F-1) or in one of the schemes worn by their aggressor unit and knowing Hasegawa they give you unit markings for almost all the operators of Japanese aircraft in some of their boxings, though obviously a Blue Impulse one would look good next to your Roulette's Aermacchi.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well as the GB has moved along we have gained a very good selection of subjects and countries being covered and the time has come for me to decide on what to add as a second build as my F-7 should be completed in a couple of weeks (hopefully!).

Wanting to build something iconic that hasn't already been done isn't that easy, F-4 done, F-5 done, Mig-21 done, Mig-29 done, Sukhoi Su-7 and Su-22 done and A-37 done. Next up is the decision on what country to build one from and I want to build one more Western aligned but; India done, Thailand done, Malaysia done, Australia done, New Zealand done, Singapore done and Pakistan going to be done. 

Putting my thinking cap on I believe I have come up with a winner which has a true aviation icon which has been in a fair few GB's (I've built one myself for one of the NATO/WARPAC GB's) which was used very much on the frontline in the region and even scored a couple of kills for the country I'm going to build it from, albeit in an earlier decade, so I'll let you try and figure out what and from where I'm going to build. No prizes for getting it right I'm afraid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Next up is the decision on what country to build one from and I want to build one more Western aligned but; India done, Thailand done, Malaysia done, Australia done, New Zealand done, Singapore done and Pakistan going to be done. 

How about a Philippines Air force F-8 crusader ? 

"F-8H Crusader of the Philippine Air Force. c. 1978 In late 1977, the Philippine government purchased 35 secondhand U.S. Navy F-8Hs that were stored at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona.[36] Twenty-five of them were refurbished by Vought and the remaining 10 were used for spare parts.[36] As part of the deal, the U.S. would train Philippine pilots using the TF-8A.[36] The Crusaders were manned by the 7th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Basa Air Base and were mostly used for intercepting Soviet bombers.[36] But due to lack of spares and the rapid deterioration of the aircraft, the remaining F-8s were grounded in 1988 and left on an open grass field at Basa Air Base. They were finally withdrawn from service in 1991 after they were badly damaged by the Mount Pinatubo eruption, and have since been offered for sale as scrap."

Here is a link to current and past inventories. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_Philippine_Air_Force

Besides F-8's they also used F-5's, OV-10's and quite a few others, hopefully that helps ? 

Dennis

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ok how about Fatty Kim and one of his MiG-23's?

Surely not a JSADF F-104?

A Mig-23 is one I gave serious consideration to but don't think I could get it across the line in time. Surprised that either North or South Korea haven't been covered yet and had thought of doing a ROK Sabre but they were retired a couple of years before the GB starts and F-4's, F-5's and A-37's are already covered.

Close but no cigar with your second choice :) .

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How about a Philippines Air force F-8 crusader ?

Another one I gave serious consideration to but frighteningly enough I don't have an F-8 in the stash.

Did think of an F-5 but they are already covered and the decals I have for them are from the 70's, useful for the next installment though, if there is enough interest.

7 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I was thinking of an Indonesian A-4 Skyhawk, but they haven't shot at anyone for quite a while.

Getting colder! Though an Indonesian F-16 came VERY close to making it and if it wasn't for the fact that my F-16 kit hasn't got the parabrake housing that I need for an Indonesian one then it would have been done.

Keep trying :) .

AAAARRRrrrrrrrr   :angry:  you do love to tease...

It's the "even scored a couple of kills for the country" that is getting me...

I had thought a ROC Mirage 2000-5...which would be nice to see, or a ROK F-16.

If none of these wonderful ideas then I give up....... 

But next time you get stuck just come see me for ideas! :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

AAAARRRrrrrrrrr   :angry:  you do love to tease...

It's the "even scored a couple of kills for the country" that is getting me...

I had thought a ROC Mirage 2000-5...which would be nice to see, or a ROK F-16.

If none of these wonderful ideas then I give up....... 

But next time you get stuck just come see me for ideas! :D

Over the course of your 3 attempts you have managed to get both the aircraft and the country right, unfortunately not in the same answer though!

I will give you one more attempt now that you know what to narrow it down from and I will help by telling you that it didn't score the kills in the 80's. Now come on Rich, surely you can work it out by now! :) 

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Over the course of your 3 attempts you have managed to get both the aircraft and the country right, unfortunately not in the same answer though!

I will give you one more attempt now that you know what to narrow it down from and I will help by telling you that it didn't score the kills in the 80's. Now come on Rich, surely you can work it out by now! :) 

Think I've got it thanks to a judicious Google. Interesting...

Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

not an ROCAF F-104?

If I don't get this one right I'll go sit in the corner and play with my imaginary friend........

Give that man a cigar!

Yes indeed, next off the blocks is going to be a 1/48 ROCAF F-104G finished in the SEA scheme during the early part of the 1980's. I've got an Eduard re-boxing of the Hasegawa kit which comes with a couple of nice extras and I have just placed an order with Bestfong decals for some of their sets which cover the F-104 in the scheme I want to do, they do sheets covering every scheme that the F-104 has worn during it's long career with the ROCAF. If you have never visited their website then I strongly suggest that you pay it a visit, especially if you plan at doing anything from the ROCAF or the ROC Navy and Army as they do decals for ships and armour too, they also have some sheets covering PLAAF aircraft and even Yemeni F-5's which were piloted by Taiwanese crews.