1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

Wondered if my Aermacchi MB326 qualifies ( as its not exactly front line)? I saw the RAAF display team option when it arrived and had to have a crack at it

Orange and white airframe what could possibly go wrong? Used by the team throughout the eighties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Wondered if my Aermacchi MB326 qualifies ( as its not exactly front line)? I saw the RAAF display team option when it arrived and had to have a crack at it

Orange and white airframe what could possibly go wrong? Used by the team throughout the eighties.

Steve as far as I am concerned if things had gone "pear shaped" those Aermacchi's (and everyone else's trainers) would have received a coat of camo paint and been thrown into combat, and as I like trainers and it's my GB then yes you can build your MB326.

I believe there is a slot waiting for it in the gallery, number 1 I believe :) .

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

as far as I am concerned if things had gone "pear shaped" those Aermacchi's (and everyone else's trainers) would have received a coat of camo paint and been thrown into combat,

The Blue angels F-18 would only need about 120 minutes to be made combat ready. I believe its a stipulation of there formation charter that they remain combat ready aircraft. Be a funny thing to get into a dogfight. if you were an enemy pilot, and see a Blue Angel in the dogfight with you ? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Steve as far as I am concerned if things had gone "pear shaped" those Aermacchi's (and everyone else's trainers) would have received a coat of camo paint and been thrown into combat, and as I like trainers and it's my GB then yes you can build your MB326.

I believe there is a slot waiting for it in the gallery, number 1 I believe :) .

Cheer's Craig,can't promise a quick finish though we're a month into the Frog GB and nothing in the gallery yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Blue angels F-18 would only need about 120 minutes to be made combat ready. I believe its a stipulation of there formation charter that they remain combat ready aircraft. Be a funny thing to get into a dogfight. if you were an enemy pilot, and see a Blue Angel in the dogfight with you ? 

I also remember seeing pictures of Red Arrows Hawks armed with 30mm gun pods and Sidewinders, enough to make your seasoned Warpac pilot look twice!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I also remember seeing pictures of Red Arrows Hawks armed with 30mm gun pods and Sidewinders, enough to make your seasoned Warpac pilot look twice!

Can you imagine? Oh, great, I'm now trying to dogfight with one of the best pilots in the world, guess I'll just bail out now and save some time :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

At the OCU they did receive camo for Lead In Fighter training duties...

48164796681_32df9371dc_b.jpg

And later they were all grey.

48164805976_ec21e025ce_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to the GB title....

Then I saw Steve's post on the RAAF 1980's Aermacchi, and looked a

little closer and lo and behold the GB covers New Zealand and Australia too!

So to that end, may I join this GB?

I have some kits that will fit the bill as Early 1980's RNZAF aircraft

1/72 Hasegawa P3 Orion (that didn't get so far in the Maritime GB)

1/72 C-130H that (again didn't get very far in the last Vietnam GB)

1/32 Hasegawa A4 Skyhawk sitting in the stash

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

So admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to the GB title....

Then I saw Steve's post on the RAAF 1980's Aermacchi, and looked a

little closer and lo and behold the GB covers New Zealand and Australia too!

So to that end, may I join this GB?

I have some kits that will fit the bill as Early 1980's RNZAF aircraft

1/72 Hasegawa P3 Orion (that didn't get so far in the Maritime GB)

1/72 C-130H that (again didn't get very far in the last Vietnam GB)

1/32 Hasegawa A4 Skyhawk sitting in the stash

Thanks/regards

Alan

All very nice choices Alan, and of course you can join in the GB.

I like the sound of the P-3, assuming it's below the 25% rule, and also the A-4. Would you be building the Skyhawk as a RAN or RNZAF bird?

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

All very nice choices Alan, and of course you can join in the GB.

I like the sound of the P-3, assuming it's below the 25% rule, and also the A-4. Would you be building the Skyhawk as a RAN or RNZAF bird?

Thank you :)

Both the P3 and C-130 are below the 25%

P3 the flight deck and engine nacelles started

C-130 the flight deck/forward wheel well started

The A4 pretty much unstarted - I'd build that as as an Pre Kahu RNZAF aircraft

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Thank you :)

Both the P3 and C-130 are below the 25%

P3 the flight deck and engine nacelles started

C-130 the flight deck/forward wheel well started

The A4 pretty much unstarted - I'd build that as as an Pre Kahu RNZAF aircraft

Thanks

Alan

That's great Alan, I look forward to your WIP whichever one you choose.

Craig.

• Like 1

I'm horribly over extended at the minute with entries in two other GBs and having just moved house but I have something a bit left field in the stash. Time permitting I'd like to join in with a Chinese PTZ-89 120mm tank destroyer. A rare beast that entered service in 1988 and was declared obsolete seemingly several weeks later, it may be even more rare if I don't get several fingers out.

Andy

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I'm horribly over extended at the minute with entries in two other GBs and having just moved house but I have something a bit left field in the stash. Time permitting I'd like to join in with a Chinese PTZ-89 120mm tank destroyer. A rare beast that entered service in 1988 and was declared obsolete seemingly several weeks later, it may be even more rare if I don't get several fingers out.

Andy

Had to look that one up Andy!

It would be great to have it in the GB as not only would it be our first target tank but it is also an Asian designed and operated one so it couldn't fit the bill more perfectly.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

How about all of them?  

Awww...  come on!   Don't act so surprised.  Everyone know I was gonna say it.    In fact they'd be disappointed if I didn't.   :lol: 

Absolutely.  :lol:

WWES?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Had to look that one up Andy!

It would be great to have it in the GB as not only would it be our first target tank but it is also an Asian designed and operated one so it couldn't fit the bill more perfectly.

There's quite a range of Chinese stuff available, often for very little money especially compared to say WW2 German armour in the same scale. It was just a case of picking the one that fit the time scale and wasn't based on a T-55 since I'm already committed to one of them  in the STGB later in the year. Would have been even better if China had exported some so I had a choice of markings but the Wiki entry for them suggests they were a poor answer to a question nobody asked :D 

Andy

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:06 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

How about all of them?  

Awww...  come on!   Don't act so surprised.  Everyone know I was gonna say it.    In fact they'd be disappointed if I didn't.   :lol: 

Don't do this to me bro....🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Supertom said:

Don't do this to me bro....🤣

You know u want too build them all..thats why you are called super tom....

looking forward to yr Nuri and the others

rgds

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:39 AM, modelling minion said:

Your support will be very welcome Brian as I know that you have a lot of info on aircraft in the region, especially Malaysia.

Cheers Craig..rgds

• Like 1

Good news and bad news...the bad news is that I opened the box of my Zvezda MI-8/MI-17 HIP-H assault helicopter and realized that a whole sprue was missing from the box!  Arrrggghh!  

The good news...I called the hobby shop in Athens where I bought it and they are sending me a new one today.  This means, of course, that I will have to wait the entire weekend before I get a chance to start in on my chopper!  Many thanks to the folks at Fasma Hobbies in Athens, though.  Top notch folks.  

I will take this time to go through The Spadgent's recent Ka-27 build and get some pointers and whatnot. His WiP is here...

This kit has some nice 'open door' options that I will take advantage of and so I want to make the most of the interior.  

I'll finish up my pre-war Soviet autogyro...it's almost done!  Sorry...no WiP for that.  I just wanted to build.

--John

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Good news and bad news...the bad news is that I opened the box of my Zvezda MI-8/MI-17 HIP-H assault helicopter and realized that a whole sprue was missing from the box!  Arrrggghh!  

The good news...I called the hobby shop in Athens where I bought it and they are sending me a new one today.  This means, of course, that I will have to wait the entire weekend before I get a chance to start in on my chopper!  Many thanks to the folks at Fasma Hobbies in Athens, though.  Top notch folks.  

I will take this time to go through The Spadgent's recent Ka-27 build and get some pointers and whatnot. His WiP is here...

Doh!! I'm so addicted to armour just now I completely forgot about helicopters. This may have been the perfect chance to build that Afghan Mi-4 I've always promised myself. I'll take a close interest in your build instead, they're always fun and informative and I like your finished models.

Andy

Wondering if that MiG-21UM based in Ulaan Bator is still in the stash.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Almost there!

Yes indeed John, not long now!

10 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That really is a shame about the missing sprue but as you say it really is excellent customer service by your model shop. Are there any bits on the sprues that you do have that you could make a start on such as the rotors?

9 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Doh!! I'm so addicted to armour just now I completely forgot about helicopters. This may have been the perfect chance to build that Afghan Mi-4 I've always promised myself. I'll take a close interest in your build instead, they're always fun and informative and I like your finished models.

Andy

Wondering if that MiG-21UM based in Ulaan Bator is still in the stash

I'll let you off forgetting about helicopters this time as you are our only armour modeller so far! I like the sound of an Afghan Mi-4, a great looking helicopter. Would you be building the nice Hobby Boss 1/72 one or it's huge 1/35 Trumpeter cousin? The Mig-21UM is also very appealing and I considered a Mongolian Mig-21PF myself but the trainer would be even better as you would be building a Mongolian Mongol!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Are there any bits on the sprues that you do have

Yes, however, they want the faulty kit back so they can return it to Zvezda.  I want to make sure they send me the exact same kit, etc...I can wait three or four days...:whistle:

• Like 1