1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I like the sound of all three options, but a recon configured Su-17 is very appealing.

A Mig-21 is a nice relatively simple build that makes it easier to complete in time though.

I believe the MiG-21 is a recon variant too.  :wicked:  I'm a sucker for specialty mission aircraft (SEAD, recon, ASW).  Hell, I just bought a He-111 H-6 this weekend just because box top showed a variant packing torpedoes.

Damnit!  I want to go home now and rummage through boxes.  Still have about 8 hours before I'm out of work though.  I am scouring about online for misc Fitter accessories during breaks.  I'll probably going to become quite a bother to @trickyrich here over the coming weeks.  :whistle:  Hopefully I'll have a plan sorted and all the materials in place for the start...because if it ends up being the Fitter (likely) or the Fishbed, they are both 48th so I'm sure I'll need all the time I can get.  Especially since it's summer now and I don't like hanging about indoors when the weather is nice (never mind the lost weekends when I decide to go camping).

• Like 2

Neomega pits ordered for the pair of Su-17/22 M3s and the Su-7.  I really only need the one at the moment, but if I'm paying for shipping from England, might as well make it count.

So I guess now I've just committed myself to the Su-17.  I've got the aerial recon covered.  Rich is flying air cover.  Whose bringing the 1/48th ground pounder?  :wicked:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

So I guess now I've just committed myself to the Su-17

An excellent choice Chris, I really am looking forward to your build.

I might be building a mud mover myself as I need to revisit my first choice of the Taiwanese S-2 and change it for something achievable. As the idea behind the GB is to also get some of the less built armed forces of the region a showing it probably won't be Soviet, but may well be a Mig-21 in one form or another.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As the idea behind the GB is to also get some of the less built armed forces of the region a showing it probably won't be Soviet, but may well be a Mig-21 in one form or another.

I hear that.  That would normally be my tact...but in this case it's the subject matter that is dictating the operator.  Besides, I actually don't have any built red equipment yet...so in a way I'm building something different, for me anyways.  It is Russian, though it will be in a forward deployed scheme (Afghanistan) so it will certainly be a bit unique looking amidst my other builds.

I just hope I don't bodge it up too bad.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I just hope I don't bodge it up too bad.

Can't see that happening at all.

Don't worry about building something Soviet, I purposely set the parameters of the GB to include aircraft that were based in theatre but not necessarily from countries in the region as they often wore locally applied camouflage schemes (especially the Soviets) and it highlights the fact that the major Cold War players didn't just square up to each other in Europe. Maybe if I built 2 Mig-21's I could do one in one of locally applied Soviet camo schemes.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig,  I'm building the Japanese F-4EJ but I'm curious, is there a reason why the nations west of Pakistan aren't allowed ? Iran, Turkey, or Israel come to mind. 

Dennis

A very good question Dennis, especially as I like building aircraft from this region. Basically there had to be a line drawn somewhere and the Pakistan border seemed a straightforward place to end it, it also stops the GB from getting too close to Europe and Turkey is covered in the NATO/Warpac GB's. This also leaves it open for the possibility of a GB covering those countries and the Gulf states in a Middle East GB, if enough people would be interested in it.

• Like 2

A 72nd  zvezda mi 24 p hind is top of my list at present, although this may change, looking at  the kit, first impressions are very good, the bar really has been raised recently in 72nd scale, and there's some cracking camo options for these 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

A 72nd  zvezda mi 24 p hind is top of my list at present, although this may change, looking at  the kit, first impressions are very good, the bar really has been raised recently in 72nd scale, and there's some cracking camo options for these 

It wouldn't seem right for a GB whose scope includes the Soviet Afghan war to not have a Hind in it wouldn't it. You're right that 1/72 really has come on leaps and bounds recently and the Zvezda Mi-24 is a prime example of this, they are also a lot easier to store than 1/48 ones.

I assume she will have red stars on her as I'm unsure if the the Hind F (as NATO call it) was supplied to the Afghan Air Force, might have to do some research here myself!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right then as we are within 2 weeks of the launch of this GB now seems a good time to remind you all of your commitment to it and to give you time to sort out exactly what you would like to build for it.

So @Red Dot, @wimbledon99, @franky boy, @helios16v, @Cookenbacher, @HansReggelsen, @Col., @Covjets13, @Sabre_days, @SoftScience, @mirageiv, @Knight_Flyer, @RMP2, @trickyrich, @bianfuxia, @spruecutter, @zebra, @madcat911, @Mr B, @Grandboof, @Hewy, @Arniec, @asianairarms, @Jabba, @Romeo Alpha Yankee, @CliffB, @Angus Tura, @Dave_R @celt, @hash_bash_splash, @aidy, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Ernie, @whiskey, @Blitz23, @Supertom, @Dave_R and @John D.C. Masters now is the time to get your thinking caps on and your online orders in, if you haven't already!

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Japanese Starfighter for me I think. Especially as I need to get my Hasegawa ones built before the new Kinetic kit appears. This may change however?

James

• Like 1

Thanks for the shaming e-mail!

I'm still gripped by mustang fever and I don't know any P-51s still active in the 1980s in Asia. Had you said 1980s frontline South America, I would have been laughing...

If I have a remission I have an SR-71 in the stash and Ichiban decals and it would have to be that.

Alan

• Like 1

Hello Craig ... I'm ready with an F-4EJ it will most likely be 87-8407 in this scheme. 

g5u3sS7.jpg

This scheme dates to 1985.

ibdIZBq.jpg

My back up choice will be 87-8411 in one of two schemes.  

NMYChQh.png

Grey/Blue over white or Blue/Blue over white

mAR5vBy.png

jJvz7rj.jpg

These schemes date to 1979/80 so just make it. I will be using the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4EJ for the build. 

Dennis

• Like 3

I have 3 options in mind:

Iranian RF-4E (current front-runner but then I thought of the other two)

Soviet MiG-23 in Afghanistan 

USMC OA-4M based in Japan, which would be 1/48 and converted from a Hasegawa TA-4J using spare A-4M parts from the A-4N I built recently (haven’t really thought about how feasible this is yet though)

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 2:37 AM, helios16v said:

I believe the MiG-21 is a recon variant too.  :wicked:  I'm a sucker for specialty mission aircraft (SEAD, recon, ASW).  Hell, I just bought a He-111 H-6 this weekend just because box top showed a variant packing torpedoes.

Damnit!  I want to go home now and rummage through boxes.  Still have about 8 hours before I'm out of work though.  I am scouring about online for misc Fitter accessories during breaks.  I'll probably going to become quite a bother to @trickyrich here over the coming weeks.  :whistle:  Hopefully I'll have a plan sorted and all the materials in place for the start...because if it ends up being the Fitter (likely) or the Fishbed, they are both 48th so I'm sure I'll need all the time I can get.  Especially since it's summer now and I don't like hanging about indoors when the weather is nice (never mind the lost weekends when I decide to go camping).

:D

if there's any shortage of Fitter stuff that's probably because I've bought all the rare stuff! The good stuff disappeared years ago, though occasionally something rare pops up.

I have the Neomega cockpit set, it's not too bad, my first Su-17 I just used the new cockpit in the Eduard kit, i's not too bad. But I do have a Cutting Edge one which is very nice. There was for a time a Flaps & Slats set available for Cutting Edge, I bought one but it turned out to be a Blunt Edge copy produced buy some dodgy little old lady in the old eastern block...truly horrible and lots of work! There was a completely new set from a company called Tiger Model that lasted barely a year, I have a set but they didn't supply instructions. , but have spent Soooo much time researching the Flaps & Slats operation on the Su-17/22 I could scratch build one from memory! The Burner Can replacement is a must...again if you can find one, again Cutting Edge. The Eduard PE set (48173) is a must. Yahu do a wonderful new IP for the Kitty Hawk model, be a simple job to fit on the KP model, I need to buy a couple. Wheels are easy to get now, U/c legs could probably be replaced with SAC ones, else like I did, rebuild them completely...which from memory I did because the aircraft didn't quite sit properly. The Air Brakes are/were from memory only available with the Cutting Edge Flap & Slats set. There are some other bits and pieces if you want to go that far......I think I have most of them! :whistle:  Oh a Master Models Pitot Probe is a must as you need to do some mod work for the nose probes to sit correctly (fitted per instructions they point inwards!!).

Bugger now after all this talk I may now have to build one of these as well.....which is ok as the Su-15 is looking like more work every time I look at it...plus I really do love the Su-17!

I don't know if I showed you the link to my old build or not? Here it is again anyway.

Gosh 2013, seems like forever ago!

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Right then as we are within 2 weeks of the launch of this GB now seems a good time to remind you all of your commitment to it and to give you time to sort out exactly what you would like to build for it.

So @Red Dot, @wimbledon99, @franky boy, @helios16v, @Cookenbacher, @HansReggelsen, @Col., @Covjets13, @Sabre_days, @SoftScience, @mirageiv, @Knight_Flyer, @RMP2, @trickyrich, @bianfuxia, @spruecutter, @zebra, @madcat911, @Mr B, @Grandboof, @Hewy, @Arniec, @asianairarms, @Jabba, @Romeo Alpha Yankee, @CliffB, @Angus Tura, @Dave_R @celt, @hash_bash_splash, @aidy, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Ernie, @whiskey, @Blitz23, @Supertom, @Dave_R and @John D.C. Masters now is the time to get your thinking caps on and your online orders in, if you haven't already!

AaaaaAAaaRRrrRRrrRrRrrRrr I'd completely forgotten about this one and how close it is!!! :angry:

Well as can be seen form above I've more of less have talked myself into building another Su-17. Go on Craig join Chris and I and build an Su-17/22 as well! :D

Guess I'd better go off now and buy up the last remaining Su-17 stuff! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, zebra said:

USMC OA-4M based in Japan, which would be 1/48 and converted from a Hasegawa TA-4J using spare A-4M parts from the A-4N I built recently (haven’t really thought about how feasible this is yet though)

My vote ⬆️ If you're asking ? 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I will either start with my Soviet/Afghanistan era Frogfoot or the Mi-17  HIP-H from the same place...my first helicopter, by the way...

I am going to Ireland on July 22 for two months of bicycling along the Wild Atlantic Way so I won't be able to get back to the bench until the end of September.  

• Like 2

My entry's waiting in the stash....

P1100747.jpg

Unfortunately the plastic looks nothing like a Yak-36, so I may have to do mine as a Soviet Pacific Fleet -38 instead :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arrrhhhh!!

I totally forgot about this gb, I sadly will have to forfeit myself...as much as I hate to do it....I have just moved countries since late May and my modeling stuff is all nicely kept in my dad’s home in Malaysia.    

Don’t think I will be bringing my stuff over anytime soon. I am so sorry but I will have to sit this one out....I see Aidy is there and I am sure he will take my place for something else Malaysian...

have fun guys n will be tracking this one only on the boards .......once again my humble apologies

kind rgds

mr b -down under

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:D

if there's any shortage of Fitter stuff that's probably because I've bought all the rare stuff! The good stuff disappeared years ago, though occasionally something rare pops up.

I have the Neomega cockpit set, it's not too bad, my first Su-17 I just used the new cockpit in the Eduard kit, i's not too bad. But I do have a Cutting Edge one which is very nice. There was for a time a Flaps & Slats set available for Cutting Edge, I bought one but it turned out to be a Blunt Edge copy produced buy some dodgy little old lady in the old eastern block...truly horrible and lots of work! There was a completely new set from a company called Tiger Model that lasted barely a year, I have a set but they didn't supply instructions. , but have spent Soooo much time researching the Flaps & Slats operation on the Su-17/22 I could scratch build one from memory! The Burner Can replacement is a must...again if you can find one, again Cutting Edge. The Eduard PE set (48173) is a must. Yahu do a wonderful new IP for the Kitty Hawk model, be a simple job to fit on the KP model, I need to buy a couple. Wheels are easy to get now, U/c legs could probably be replaced with SAC ones, else like I did, rebuild them completely...which from memory I did because the aircraft didn't quite sit properly. The Air Brakes are/were from memory only available with the Cutting Edge Flap & Slats set. There are some other bits and pieces if you want to go that far......I think I have most of them! :whistle:  Oh a Master Models Pitot Probe is a must as you need to do some mod work for the nose probes to sit correctly (fitted per instructions they point inwards!!).

Bugger now after all this talk I may now have to build one of these as well.....which is ok as the Su-15 is looking like more work every time I look at it...plus I really do love the Su-17!

I don't know if I showed you the link to my old build or not? Here it is again anyway.

Gosh 2013, seems like forever ago!

AaaaaAAaaRRrrRRrrRrRrrRrr I'd completely forgotten about this one and how close it is!!! :angry:

Well as can be seen form above I've more of less have talked myself into building another Su-17. Go on Craig join Chris and I and build an Su-17/22 as well! :D

Guess I'd better go off now and buy up the last remaining Su-17 stuff! :P

I've ordered the Neomega pits & the Master pitots already, hopefully the pits show up this week (already have the pitots in my possession and in the boxes).  Since I always build canopies closed (damn dust) it should be more than sufficient.  I'm not going to, well at least try not to, go too overboard w/ AM bits.  Burner cans, seats, and pitots are typically about all I worry too much about unless there are major issues w/ the kit.  I may have a look at the gear if it's a bit wonky.

We'll see what I can find as long as people don't want a mint for them.  (Edit, just found a set of SAC gear for $16 shipped.....mine! :giggle:)  Right now the only burner cans I see they want $50 for.  Nope.  I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything pops up more reasonably priced before I get to where it has to be installed during assembly.  My skill level doesn't warrant spending that kind of money just to do a semi-bodged job on it.  :whistle:

That 17M3 is right lovely.  If I can get mine to turn out half as well I'll be chuffed.

• Like 2