Catching Pictures in the Air

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've modded mine Alex:

1. Take photo of favourite drinks coaster (or download an image of one you like from the internest).
  2. Open up said image in gallery app to full screen.
  3. Put iPad on table before you and place long cool drink upon image of coaster, ruminating upon how much cooler the drink is than an overpriced jab-slab.
  4. For longer drinking sessions, a slideshow of alternating coasters can add a touch of class to proceedings.

Excellent idea Sir Baron - the cracks in the glass inflicted after dropping it some time ago may not matter if I cover it with a piece of Contact (and contrive to artfully the inevitably resultant air bubbles, ha ha). Love the 'jab slab' term, very appropriate, will nick it :).

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm really curious (ask anyone!), your avatar, is that a Marshall Islands Arctic Possum laying next to a Bassoon, or do my eyes deceive me?

That is indeed a Marshall Islands Arctic Possum! How did you guess? Bravo! He usually masquerades as a pomeranian/chihuahua cross, but you weren't fooled in the least! His possum-like nature comes to the fore when he is picked up and cuddled, although he also sometimes looks like a Patagonian Koala in that situation, too.

Where you were fooled is the musical instrument: it's an oboe, not a bassoon (although our daughter occasionally plays one of the latter). Double reed instrument anyway, so close. And you didn't make the mistake that makes all oboists' teeth itch and crawl, which is to accuse it of being a clarinet >shudder<...

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a possum, Arctic or otherwise; or a bassoon

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

He looks an absolute darling! 

Ah, now I know the other snaffly creature isn't a Possum of any nature, I can tell straightaway that it's an Aaljoulson Racing Wapiti.

Excellent advice on the ipad beer mats Mein Baron!

• Like 4

On 16/07/2017 at 4:19 PM, TheBaron said:

I went for the vertical split in the end James & hendie as with doors and portholes to add on both sides I didn't want to be cutting/drilling on a weak seam. It seems a more (cue: hostage to fortune quote :blah:) straightforward proposition just to have to re-join the two halves the lower retractable door-part of the BT:

Nice work on the vac forming Tony :thumbsup:

Is the lower retractable door a single curvature or double curvature?

If it's a single longitudinal curve then maybe you could make the door separately from plastic card just gently curved with a bit of rolling and/or heat treatment?

Alternatively maybe you could glue the Master back together, fill the join and then do another pull over the bottom of the BT to get a door without a join?

Apologies if I'm repeating summat already suggested - blame the popularity of the thread!! So much to read on return from hols..........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, AlexN said:

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a possum, Arctic or otherwise; or a bassoon

Err, why has the sheep got an arrow pointing to it's backside?

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Apologies if I'm repeating summat already suggested - blame the popularity of the thread!! So much to read on return from hols..........

I have the same issue if I go away. It usually takes me a good couple of hours to get back up to speed on what has been occurring in my absence. Partly my fault as I usually go to places that are so remote that there is no Wi-Fi or internet access of any kind.

Martian

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have the same issue if I go away. It usually takes me a good couple of hours to get back up to speed on what has been occurring in my absence. Partly my fault as I usually go to places that are so remote that there is no Wi-Fi or internet access of any kind.

Martian

And most of us' wives would say "that is a problem because?..."

Off to Devon next Monday after our club's Midlands Expo on Sunday

There's Wi-Fi

There's my tablet

There's a charger

And there's a pool

There's a beach

There's a BAR

Are there any model shops near Torquay? 

Make it perfect

😀

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Couldn't find any when we were there the other week.

Martian

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Um...I wondered if some one was going to get the wrong end of the stick, so to speak, on that one. Trust The Tentacled One to be It. Cor blimey. Don't you Martians still have an Empress to keep you in line? It is a fair question, though, which I will attempt to answer.

It's meant to show that the comment is referrant to Mr Sheep, not me. I have sometimes wished that he were pointing t'other way, so as not to run the risk of laying my self open to such suggestive barbs :analintruder: . Crudity aside (looks guiltily around for Mods :door::spider:<-- Mod), however, that's the reason, yer Martian 'Onner, savin' yer Grace. You don't happen to have tentacled rellies from the Land of the Long White Cloud, do you?

Maybe I could put the arrer arind the other way. I will experiment.

Hope that helps.

Looking forward to some more pretty photos of C119 progress :).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: --> <-- not an arrow pointing at the sheeps bottom. And no questions will be answered as to why an arrow is coming out of said sheep's bottom, coz it isn't. It's yer warped imagination ;).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Don't know about the Land of the Long White Cloud, but the chief Vogon is my cousin thrice removed if that helps?

Martian

• Like 4

On 19/07/2017 at 17:33, 71chally said:

He looks an absolute darling! 

Ah, now I know the other snaffly creature isn't a Possum of any nature, I can tell straightaway that it's an Aaljoulson Racing Wapiti.

Excellent advice on the ipad beer mats Mein Baron!

He really is a real cutie - until he starts YAPPING! Then he isn't. But usually he's quiescent - about 90 % of the time...

Actually, the other creature is a Serpent. Well, it isn't really, but I'm all for musical education, no matter how obscure and arcane. In fact, the more obscure and arcane the better, I say!

• Like 5

I appear to have wandered back into an episode of One Man and his Dog this morning...

OK. So I'm going to get stuck in later to trimming and tidying-up the buck and doing a test fit after a rather intense week, so hopefully there's enough patience left over to avoid shaving off too much plastic.

On 19/07/2017 at 9:10 AM, Fritag said:

Is the lower retractable door a single curvature or double curvature?

If it's a single longitudinal curve then maybe you could make the door separately from plastic card just gently curved with a bit of rolling and/or heat treatment?

Alternatively maybe you could glue the Master back together, fill the join and then do another pull over the bottom of the BT to get a door without a join?

Primarily single curvature Steve. Those are all good suggestions to rectify the cut sir. :nodding:

As that door shape is going to be fully-retracted in the final posture I may just get away with backing the two halves with some thin card stock for stability, as that region won't be visible at the end and is not load-bearing.

Let's see how well that plan works out on first encountering plastic reality! :lol:

On 19/07/2017 at 10:32 AM, perdu said:

Babbacombe. Obviously...

img_babbacombemodelvillage.jpg

More in dew coarse.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I'm not entirely certain that answers the actual query, but hey, so what?

I'm on my holidays then, who gives a darn?

Quite right Bill. My knowledge of Torquay began and ended with Fawlty Towers I'm afraid -  that and the fact that Peter Cook was born there. Comedy seems to be in the air in that neck of the woods - it's not safe to go alone, take one of these:

Tickling-Stick.jpg

Now.

This thread has had so much drift of late that its become a positive Gulf Stream bringing up odd turtles from the mental equator (boy, but this new Polish coffee seems to be kicking-in a treat), natch, it's now time to get some aircrafting back in play.

I shaved down the plastic with a Stanley blade to the seam line and evened them up roughly with the now indispensable 6" 1/2 round 2nd cut reduction-wand and a carpenter's square:

35253044133_cb016f8203_c.jpg

Still rough at this stage, but just getting a better sense of volume in relation to the kit by this stage. I don't know if you can see it too clearly from that shot above but the total width of the vacform is 46.5mm. This compares with a shade under 47.5mm for the actual width of the kit fuselage:

35891397642_c4053f0403_c.jpg

The missing mill. or so is accounted for by material lost in splitting the buck (although the knife was sharp and comparatively thin, I think the balsa got compressed slightly as well at the cutting-line) - I'd anticipated this and intend using some plastic strip at the seam to return it to the correct dimension.

Depending upon the region, the actual thickness of the vacform walls vary from approx. 0.9 to about 0.6mm around the shape.

The interior's had a bit of a tussle with the filler from the buck but the gunk visible here seems to rub-off easily enough with fine sandpaper:

35891400092_2c1cbfe3b9_c.jpg

As @Fritag suggested there are a number of ways to deal with the retractable door in this underside:

35891396802_18cf39dab5_c.jpg

Whilst pondering this issue, my minces happened upon the initial test-pull done when the buck was still in one piece:

35891398342_2b234038ab_c.jpg

Pondering became wondering at this stage....:hmmm:

Let's see:

35891398972_197f85bd30_c.jpg

Close enough!:thumbsup:

You can't quite see it in the above photograph but I'll need to add a small angled section of about 2mm to the starboard side of that door part of the way up (as that pull was across the entire  width of the pre-split buck and didn't accurately reach all the way to the edge), but that should prove a far less intrusive procedure than a seam down t'middle.

There are two additional issues I need to resolve:

1. Best glue to use for attaching the new rear section of the fuselage to the kit. That join will will need to be a strong 'un with the BT and poles etc. hanging off of it.
  2. How to deal cosmetically with the difference in thickness between kit and vacform where they join, the kit fuselage walls being 1.2mm thick.

The next step it to test fit this to the aircraft as I'm especially nervous that the vacform is tall enough to meet bottom of aircraft and top of wing.

That'll require some more coffee.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Cosmetics?

Is that to go with the theatrical tickling stick?

For the side walls a thin internal wall with stringers ribs and assorted divers accoutrements will surely suffice

The stringers gubbinses and stuff can be neatly applied before inserting into the trap door/walls

Save you lots of time

Oh arr

Nice filework , I may take you on as an apprentice fileist.

As we say, "the boy done good"

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Nice stuff Tony.

I'm with you on the need for coffee (slurp). Essential in times of stress, relaxation or any other time. Polish coffee though? What's that like then...

• Like 3

The actual building used for the filming of Fawlty Towers was the Woburn Grange Country Club, in Bourne End, near High Wycombe (my home town). It was destroyed by fire and demolished in 1991.

Ian

• Like 4

Best glue?

With stuff hanging off it and/or depending from/on it you have to be considering Araldite

Full strength 24 hour setting stuff, none of that pansy useless 5 minute apology glue

I am calling it apology because?

They're sorry but "It isn't designed to do 'quite' that job sir, if you would like a leaflet listing our other products please write or email to........"

Proper full fat Araldite, accept no substitutes

😉

• Like 4

5 hours ago, perdu said:

For the side walls a thin internal wall with stringers ribs and assorted divers accoutrements will surely suffice

The stringers gubbinses and stuff can be neatly applied before inserting into the trap door/walls

that's how I'd approach it

and if possible find some feature that you can use to create an overlapped joint rather than just butt joining all the way around

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Best glue?

With stuff hanging off it and/or depending from/on it you have to be considering Araldite

Full strength 24 hour setting stuff, none of that pansy useless 5 minute apology glue

ditto.   5 minute has it's uses - but not for this. 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Polish coffee though? What's that like then...

dunno but it seems like he's taken a shine to it

• Like 5

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice filework , I may take you on as an apprentice fileist.

I don't know...would I get use of the company deep fat fryer?*

Thanks for those production notes btw Bill - I'd been mulling something similar given the detailing on the walls.

*I panicked and named a random item of kitchen equipment there. If it meant being the Resin-Sorcerer's Apprentice that wouldn't be so bad!

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Polish coffee though? What's that like then...

This stuff Ced:

35678999430_2203007af3_c.jpg

It's ready-ground ground  for percolators/cafetieres etc. As with tea I have become a complete tyrant when it comes to the fluff and gunge that most domestic retailers shove at you. Having tried a lot of the main brands over the years I was astonished to find out how delicious this Woseba Mocca is, and how ridiculously cheap compared to the typical brands in UK & Ireland supermarkets. (Serving suggestion: add a big fat Polish doughnut recently glazed.)

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The actual building used for the filming of Fawlty Towers was the Woburn Grange Country Club, in Bourne End, near High Wycombe (my home town). It was destroyed by fire and demolished in 1991.

Is that a confession son? :bobby::bobby: 

Cuff him constable! :lol:

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Aaaand none of the local hardware stores in my vicinity stock it. Ridiculous.

Nearest place is a Halfords -  50 mins away in the car. I have to put a roast dinner on tomorrow as well: it will be a busy and early start.

There is a Polish shop near it that will have fresh doughnuts first thing. Suddenly a plan appears.

Thanks Bill. :thumbsup2:

5 hours ago, AlexN said:

I had no idea that coffe grew in Poland. You learn a new thing every day!

Sorry Alex. I should have been more precise. 'Coffee that has been put in bags in Poland'.

As a consolation, can I introduce you to Polish wiśnia (cherry) syrup:

36068935225_318fa389b9_c.jpg

Much like Rosehip syrup, mixed in ice-cold milk it is a scrumptious concotion. Acacia honey too has a gorgeous and indefinable taste: it's honey, but almost not (if that makes any sense at all?).

2 hours ago, hendie said:

that's how I'd approach it

and if possible find some feature that you can use to create an overlapped joint rather than just butt joining all the way around

Being a Boxcar, this should have plenty of candidate features to help strengthen that join - cheers hendie!

2 hours ago, hendie said:

ditto.   5 minute has it's uses - but not for this. 

Halfords tomorrow then, definitely. :nodding:

Dial M for err, More vacform stuff.

Determined to make up for lost time I got back to the bench again this evening. This was going to be a critical session as I needed to finalize the size of the vacform parts in several dimensions and there exists plenty of scope to cock something up with a hasty cut.

Previously I'd deliberately made the buck longer that strictly necessary where it meets the fuselage, in order to leave plenty of margin for error:

35678850420_191b457f9e_c.jpg

Tentatively I took a few mm. off, scoring along the dymo with a scalpel. this first cut was timid but cautious, as you can see from the next shot there is still a bit more excess to trim so that the vacform meet the top of the aircraft:

35678850940_9811ae3747_c.jpg

By this stage though I was feeling more relieved that the vertical dimension of the vacform matched the actual height of the kit ok -  I must  confess to some skittishness about that aspect!

:phew:

One thing making all this marking and trimming a challenge was the black plastic itself not exactly being an amenable surface to mark out with the usual pencils and pens etc. In the end I simply 'pounced' (pricked) the measurements into the plastic using the compasses set to the required width:

35678851450_a0d25af59c_c.jpg

Then just join the dots with a slice of slice of Dymo tape, score and snap.

Much better now:

35678852070_1d37db4b26_c.jpg

In fact that's almost completely there:

35678852760_1d31bc3521_c.jpg

We're into sub-millimetric adjustments now just to get the final fit:

35678853430_3aae5892c1_c.jpg

That was a tiring session given the mixture of concentration and anxiety about getting the vacform progressively reduced to match the dimensions of the kit:

35229803784_fbcf75305d_c.jpg

...on which basis I shall leave it at that now for this evening and come back to it fresh over the weekend to complete the final tidy-up of the fit - it would simply be too easy to push on any further now tonight in a tired condition and screw things up at the last knockings through injudicious haste.

Besides, a hardback of Norman Franks' Valiant Wings about Battle and Blenheim squadrons during the Battle of France arrived today and I want to savour leafing through that tonight. Ever since reading Alastair Panton's superbly evocative Six Weeks of Blenheim Summer a few months back I've conceived a  strong fascination for this utterly desperate period. If anyone has any references for likely camera gear installed in recon Blenheims of 53 Sqn I'd be most grateful....

Oh. Nearly forgot. I am a bit pleased at how this is shaping up now - i need to keep the momentum going now.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

See?

Almost done and all you needed was the six-incher

I am happy, nay proud to say that the clammybeaver looks damned wonderful

You should get your local shops primed for whenever you need stuff to buy

Halfords for Araldite, are there no normal hardware shops handy

I think even my local Tesco sells it in a miniscule DIY department shelf

• Like 1