Catching Pictures in the Air

Nice radio shack Tony, very smart :)

Cutting up micro-rod? Not using the punches then? That's my plan if I ever do any serious knobs and dials...

• Like 2

dunno what the world's coming to - CedB missed a "nice knobs" comment and a follow up with at least a double fnaar there.

But don't worry - I shall not lower myself to that kind of toilet humor, and merely comment that I am sure your knobs will really stand out with a good rub of a polishing cloth and a quick dab of paint

• Like 8

That's some mighty fine Alu Foil & Jakes work there (that's what the firm was called before the sad day when Winch and Floor became partners).  Looks great.  

Distressed foil technique duly copied into the Crisp-o-Matic Shameless Plagiarism Repository (patent pending) for incorporation into future builds.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Blummin eck, I nip out to the toilet for a quick un, come back to find a scratch built 1/72 fitted bathroom and a Bang and Olufsen high end Hi Fi...! Brilliant stuff. The textured foil and toilet interior is gonna look amazing when finished....erm...I've just realised I've been waxing lyrical about a 1/72 scale toilet built from scratch. I really have lost it :toilet:

Quite frankly the 'facilities' seem to have caused a certain amount of delirium in this thread Tomo, so you're not alone.

16 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Glad you've seen the benefits of take-away and beer can foil. I mean it's such fun sourcing these raw materials...

:lol:

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

There is no messing around with you Tony.

Great work with the embossed foil mate, sound proofing would be very handy around the dunny.

And well, the radio`s went as well, more scratching there.

Cheers Simon. I just got stuck in yesterday to see how far we could push ahead on those bits that I'd been umming and aaing over.

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

Excellent extra detail mate, the foil has definitely done the trick hasn't it!? Really nice work

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

Super work, glad the foil idea 'rubbed off', excellent use of it there Tony!

Rob, James. I'm certainly a convert now to the miracle that is kitchen foil now. I watched a 'How It's Made' doc over Christmas that showed the process of going from a big block of aloomineeum to the stuff we tear off in the kitchen. Not quite as fascinating as seeing how cricketer's kneepads are made. But nearly! :hypnotised:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It's getting like Foils War around here...:whistle:

I knew it wouldn't be many (Honeysuckle) weeks before someone made that dreadful pun...:fight:

13 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm just sitting

And enjoying this voyage of disco

Very

Blimey the radio gear will probably spark into life if there's any juice in the batteries

Nice nice work

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That radio gear looks the business, fabulous work Tony.

If you put your ear close the photo of the radio you can faintly hear an old episode of The Navy Lark....

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Whatever you do, do NOT paint the toilet green and brown.....camo-kazis are NOT allowed on US aircraft!

Sorry.....:coat:

That was a bad joke and you should feel bad about it.:rofl:

• Like 6

Blimey, I didn't realize there wasmore on the next page!

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice radio shack Tony, very smart :)

Cutting up micro-rod? Not using the punches then? That's my plan if I ever do any serious knobs and dials...

We're down the the sub-millimetric on some of those dials there Ced. You're now going to tell me you have a set of nano-punches aren't you and I shall turn green with envy!;)

10 hours ago, hendie said:

dunno what the world's coming to - CedB missed a "nice knobs" comment and a follow up with at least a double fnaar there.

But don't worry - I shall not lower myself to that kind of toilet humor, and merely comment that I am sure your knobs will really stand out with a good rub of a polishing cloth and a quick dab of paint

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry Hendie - I haven't been feeling myself lately but I'll try harder (fnaar fnaar!) :wicked:  

Quite right hendie; it's like in the film when you know there's a sniper out there just watching...There was a 7 hour delay on that fnaar though Ced. Is everything ok mate? :o

5 hours ago, crushkill said:

That foil on the roof looks great!

Thanks crushkill, welcome to the thread. It does seems to work quite nicely doesn't it?

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's all looking lovely! Would this be the wrong time to say "LED lighting" very quietly and tiptoe away?

Egad - you again!  Aren't there laws against incitement on social forums? :chair::lol:

Just supposing a chap might be inclined to take a meander down the lighting aisle, any suggestions as to appropriate kit for such a task Adrian?:hmmm:

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That's some mighty fine Alu Foil & Jakes work there (that's what the firm was called before the sad day when Winch and Floor became partners).  Looks great.  

Distressed foil technique duly copied into the Crisp-o-Matic Shameless Plagiarism Repository (patent pending) for incorporation into future builds.

Glad you're enjoying it Crisp. I must apologize for the low moral tone I've set in this thread however: it seems have infected many of our fellow forum members to the point where their sense of humour is now down at my level...

I can claim no originality for the foil frottage; it must be an ancestral memory of taking brass rubbings from knight's tombs in Westminster Abbey....

I'm sorry to have to tell you that Winch and Floor have split acrimoniously. Something to do with a irregularities in the expenses account and the intern falling pregnant:

33811530576_8f1b63b057_c.jpg

I just wasnae happy with the crudeness of my work on the previous incarnation of this and as you can see here, have begun modifying it to reflect more accurately the placement of various gears and engine components. Considerably improved imho:

33696371662_2b7853f8fb_c.jpg

I reduced the mounting in bulk as well, which has also helped. I'm happier with this version now:

33696371882_560fd2f6ac_c.jpg

Also added is the framework around it that abuts the tank framework and holds a roller above it. The roller itself I'll leave out until painting is completed ont his section, along with a couple of braces which go from the rear framework added there to the cable deck in front. They'll just be other bits to knock off at this stage and make painting needlessly complicated.

33696372612_fb91d5afcd_c.jpg

I've built up a seat for the cargomaster as well - an old gunge-covered Spit 1a seat filed into a simpler shape, with a mounting made up from an old set of rudder pedals:

33696372862_bf3f44546a_c.jpg

A brief immersion in Dettol I think to de-gunkify it prior to painting as it somewhat resembles a chair from the Giger bar in Chateau St. Germain:

gigerbar_gruyeres_0099.jpg

...which I most definitely want to visit one day and have to be carried out of raving at closing time after too much Gentian. Well. We all need a goal in life don't we?

There you go. I have to push off to work now and feign some competence.

Catch you later.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

any suggestions as to appropriate kit for such a task Adrian?:hmmm:

Well, possibly rude not to start with a trip to Maplin?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mindsets-laser-bright-led-solder-kit-n17jg

You might need to lengthen the wires to run through a stand, and you could bury the battery box in the stand base (I imagine it would have to be quite meaty to hold this all up).

Note that I have this mental model of it all mounted in flying position complete with captured satellite over a base looking like a square of Pacific Ocean. You might as well motorise the propellers now that you've started...  :coat:

Confession: I've never done an LED installation (did think about it for my Privateer) but I have built a couple of things from Maplin components (bat detector, crawling robot) and they seem straightforward enough, even with my ginormous soldering iron. Checking polarity will be your friend!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

...bat detector, crawling robot....

You can't just throw phrases like that into the mix and then walk away...

W.T.F.?

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You can't just throw phrases like that into the mix and then walk away...

W.T.F.?

Do you think the bat detector was ON the crawling robot? Next is his flying robot and bat detector bike.... Adrian, are your 'the Joker'?!

Rob

• Like 3

No photographic evidence is available I'm afraid. The robot crawler was a kit (possibly from the Science Museum), and the bat detector (I totally missed the Batman connection!) was built from Maplins components using the excellent instructions here. The crawler lasted about a week with two small children, but the bat detector went  around the UK and on many holidays to Italy, in the days when you could put a small home-built electronic device into your luggage without attracting unwelcome attention from the authorities!

A quick ransack of the quieter corners of the study has uncovered an unopened pack of Milliput and some Jetex fuel and fuses, but no bat detectors :( It must have joined the (ultrasonic) choir eternal.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Jetex fuel and fuses

Now there's a nostalgic find. I had one of those little engines in my yoof - it probably flew off into the distance, never to be seen again...

Great work on the winch Tony - it does look better.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There was a 7 hour delay on that fnaar though Ced. Is everything ok mate? :o

Thanks for the concern Tony - I'm fine but Mrs B has had a migraine caused by a dodgy spine probably caused by her wonky ankle so I've been running back and forth with tea and kindness. Cuh, what a pain!

I'll get a grip soon (fnaar) and return to my allocated role of spotting Dbl-Es amongst the plastic posts!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A brief immersion in Dettol I think to de-gunkify it prior to painting as it somewhat resembles a chair from the Giger bar in Chateau St. Germain:

gigerbar_gruyeres_0099.jpg

...which I most definitely want to visit one day and have to be carried out of raving at closing time after too much Gentian.

It's got a 'Dark Star' poster on the wall - nuff said!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Confession: I've never done an LED installation (did think about it for my Privateer) but I have built a couple of things from Maplin components (bat detector, crawling robot) and they seem straightforward enough, even with my ginormous soldering iron. Checking polarity will be your friend

Thanks for that Adrian. 

I did a bit of research online last night and came across one or two modestly-priced fibre-optic hombrew kits that looked quite handy. I even got as far as sketching out some possible routes for wiring it up but realized halfway through that I was just going through the motions. Tbh it doesn't appeal to me enough as a process at this point in time, though doubtless in future my views will change for the right subject. (I harbour a perverse desire to have any illuminated Goodwin Sands Lightship if I can ever find a cheap enough version of the old Revell kit.)

Bat detector and crawling robot? Wasn't that how this lot kicked-off?

204587f8af0ecff1d818e87a38647ac1.jpg

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Now there's a nostalgic find. I had one of those little engines in my yoof - it probably flew off into the distance, never to be seen again...

Great work on the winch Tony - it does look better.

Thanks Ced. Jetex! I knew I'd come across that name before:

http://www.davidsissonmodels.co.uk/Ian Wingrove.htm

My best wishes to your missus for a swift recovery of form.:thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

It's got a 'Dark Star' poster on the wall - nuff said!

I moot that the Scale Facilities SIG hold its next committee meeting there in that case.:smartass:

Ok. So to business this morning. No more dithering over the recovery pole mounts, I need to understand how they go together in space. Here's one of @71challys superlative interior finds as a reminder:

2017-04-06_08-36-13

Now. Unless I'm reading this wrong, even allowing for the convergence due to perspective, those mounts for the poles up for'ard are angled in - albeit only slightly. This would seem to match the 'splay' of the retrieval poles in the fully-deployed posture when seen from outside:

CORONA_recovery4.jpg

Here's a more selective look:

2017-04-06_08-00-22

Note also how the respective mounts differ structurally from each other due to the presence of the fuel tank framework. A closer look cropped from film stills:

2017-04-06_08-03-28

2017-04-06_08-03-05

There's just enough visible here to begin making up those bits. First order of business will be to knock up the poles to scale from Albion tubing. At 1/72 scale, their 34" length should come out at 14cm iirc

More as it develops.

Tony

• Like 7

"Excuse me, is this the room for an argument please?"

"Yes the ten minute argument would be good thank you" 

" No you loon they are not angled in at the 'top' they're bent mate" 

"As bent as a ni.."

No I meant to say what I see is two rods that both bend round to the left at the top ends

And no I can't see any logical reason why they do

Maybe they are quite flexible over the length and bend, just because they do although looking at the pick up picture perhaps the bend is manufactured to control the trailing angle behind and under the tail ramp

I think this is a marvellous project to follow

I know you are gonna make it another stellar piece of model making

But hey, bent round to the left not angled in

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Tbh it doesn't appeal to me enough as a process at this point in time, though doubtless in future my views will change for the right subject.

I can understand that, but but...

33740738151_5507df54ab_z.jpg

2017-04-06_08-36-13 by TheBaronAmok, on Flickr

Wouldn't that be easy(ish) AND show off all your hard work? Just saying...

• Like 2

Way back yours truly suggested lights and  maybe a tiny camera.

Howls of laughter.

Mr Perdu had a nice idea for concealed switches in the props.

Look at that lovely photo above... lights evocative of the Nostromo. 

:innocent:.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, perdu said:

" No you loon they are not angled in at the 'top' they're bent mate" 

"As bent as a ni.."

No I meant to say what I see is two rods that both bend round to the left at the top ends

Agreed. We've both come to a common conclusion from different angles I think Bill - you with a keen instinct for reading structure and me from footering about with plastic and brass before heading off to employment this matin. The result is that I think it safe to say that from both points of view, the mount/pole arrangement is *not* angled. I recant my previous heresies!

Ignoring the question of pole curvature for one moment, the original source of my confusion was this shot:

33025857164_1eecf6e61a.jpg

The port-side pole mount just doesn't look as if the two uprights are correctly following linear perspective -  the rear one appears stepped- in ('angled'). That is of course, until you observe that this contradiction is nothing for the sort - the upright nearest the camera is mounted on the cable deck, whereas the one behind it is mounted lower down on the aircraft floor. Once this is realized there is of course no discrepancy with regard to the vanishing point. :doh:

I struggled my way to this realization in the process of working out height and angle this morning, firstly getting the poles themselves to (143mm) scale length to plot positions for the related components:

33746969821_17a29ab26c_c.jpg

0.6mm brass tubing seems about right for that.

Nextup was marking the approximate position of the rearmost set of mount supports:

33835280286_e6b0a324f8_c.jpg

About 52mm back from the cargo bulkhead and 6mm in from the side coaming.

My initial attempt at angling the pole (here based on that spurious angling-in):

33491570330_b3d2bee54e_c.jpg

Even at this stage, looking too acute to my eye.

At this stage I added a temporary crew member to help visualizing what you see here in relation to the reference photos. 33835273436_8109350a59_c.jpg

You get a better sense of these spatial relationships at 12.57 here where Hoagy Carmichael can be seen in relation to pole and mount:

At this point I'm creeping to a realization that angle = not good. You can see in this side view a better idea of the vertical separation required between the head of the crew member and the pole:

33835274986_a85342ec2a_c.jpg

And finally you can see from having reconciled all those factors, that in an OH view there is absolutely no angle at all required now to obtain a correct result:

33835276116_44929fabef_c.jpg

You of course realized this from looking at the reference shots Bill, this took me about 40 minutes of fiddling with those bits and pieces to get to the same stage of awareness. Hares and Tortoises eh?....:cyclops:

So confident was I that this was the correct solution that I even gaily drilled a couple of holes before heading off to work. With the use of a patent cocktail stick staff to gauge height:

33835276896_9f8f3efdfb_c.jpg

...some 0.4mm brass tubing looks the best bet for the mount uprights at this scale:

33746967461_44612c0e13_c.jpg

Ok. That part of the puzzle solved but that still leaves the curvature in the poles you pointed out Bill. I believe that the evidence in these photos:

33740738151_5507df54ab_z.jpg

...seems overwhelming enough that the gradual curvature towards the forward section of those poles can be explained by your reasoning that this facilitates the outer splay of these poles when fully deployed out and downward from the rear of the aircraft. There is nothing in the aeronautical or oral histories I've read of this subject that ever mentions that the poles were curved, that notwithstanding, I think you've quite possibly filled in that gap in knowledge about this subject. :thumbsup:

Certainly it's convinced me enough to use this information and have bendy poles. Damn. Now I have to figure a way to controllably replicate that degree of curvature now...:wall::lol:

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Baron,

Very nice piece of scrathbuilding.

I stay in awe, good job and lot of fun !!

Thanks CC. It is  fun isn't it? Putting together a historical jigsaw. :thumbsup2:

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Wouldn't that be easy(ish) AND show off all your hard work? Just saying...

No. I mean yes. Definitely. Never.:whip:

Fear my wrathful wrathiness:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Look at that lovely photo above... lights evocative of the Nostromo. 

Wait. Didn't the Nostromo end up as...a light? :lol:

• Like 14

Getting better and better. If you want to pursue the lighting idea (probably want a dimmer switch in the bathroom mind) you should check out Nigel's Banana Build. It's quite a work of art in which he used internal lighting as part of a diorama (around page 40 onwards).

Oh yeah the like the Alien references given the Giger bar looks like the acid-blooded Xenomorph's local!

• Like 4

Bloody hell Tony you're going for it aren't you. :lol: if I were you I'd do a nice cut away section Haynes manual style, so you can see all that lovely scratched detail.

lights too you say? Crikey. Remember the magical 100 pages. Rreemmeemmbbeerr. 

Johnny :worthy:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No. I mean yes. Definitely. Never.:whip:

Fear my wrathful wrathiness:

So, that skeleton bloke seems to have lights on... have you made your mind up yet?

In other 'I've been over the pub. Yes, thanks, great time. You're my best mate you are' thoughts, wouldn't it be better to use plastic rods (= bendy) for the poles rather than brass (= stiff)? Just a thought? 

• Like 3