Catching Pictures in the Air

I'm away in Kernow at the moment, but even from here those engines look aw'Wright! 

An absolute triumph!

Duplex Cyclone, you just know that doesn't refer to a 150 bhp, four pot donk!

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

To describe the work I am seeing in this thread as magnificent, is probably understating things a bit .............. so I wont!

Brilliant stuff, am loving every bit of this.

To describe your compliment as a generous on is likewise an understatement Terry. I'm glad that you're enjoying  the process. :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Duplex Cyclone, you just know that doesn't refer to a 150 bhp, four pot donk!

Or indeed a Dyson hoover! 😆

Kernow? Sounds very foreign to me:

https://kw.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernow

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some days you really should stay in bed....!!

:rofl2:

...whilst other days you're likely to end up there! 

Not in work this morning as somewhat ironically (given the above image) I have to go into hospital later today for some very minor skin surgery on the shoulder. Quite frankly the Katie Price tattoo is an embarrassment on a man of my age...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Allthe best in the hospital Tony, I hope they don't use any of the implements in that image!!!

K & :dinosaur:

Thanks Keith. I shall be thinking of Little T as the scalpel goes in.... :laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/25/2018 at 11:27 AM, TheBaron said:

The mean streets of Dublin:

25601978857_4fbfd65b18_c.jpg

This was taken directly behind the commercial cold sore that is O'Connell Street these days, the remains of the 19th century one one side of an alley not yet quite erased by 'development'.

I've never heard it called that before, though I'm tempted to think of O'Connell Street as the biggest back street in Europe.  Not that I've any real experience of back streets elsewhere in Europe, mind.  Reminds me of the introduction to On Broadway referring to that thoroughfare as New York's hardened artery.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I've never heard it called that before, though I'm tempted to think of O'Connell Street as the biggest back street in Europe

There's a decent overview of its problems here Joseph:

https://theirishaesthete.com/2014/02/03/on-the-boulevard-of-broken-dreams/

I remember coming down to the place from Belfast for the first time in about 1988 and thinking what an uncared-for dump O'Connell Street was compared to the splendour of Royal Avenue with it's magisterial security gates and ceremonial soldiers, always ready with a merry quip and a friendly pat-down for weapons.

Don't get me started about Temple Bar, aka Sod 'em and Begorrah...

Ooooh this is looking amazing Tony.   Great work. Engines looking good and the interior wow.  Be careful when you get it to the point of getting it all together as if you hold it up and walk around making those plane noises all the metal objects will fly up and fly into the model  !!! 

Great work fella 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Be careful when you get it to the point of getting it all together as if you hold it up and walk around making those plane noises all the metal objects will fly up and fly into the model  !!! 

Note to self: avoid carrying model past iron filings factory....

Thanks Chris! :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Good luck 'under the knife' Tony and don't forget to grab all the tools you can! :D 

Cheers Ced. It was a cause of regret I wasn't left unattended in the small operating theatre long enough to conduct an inventory of useful items, though whatever the consultant was digging inside my shoulder with felt pretty useful.

It had occurred to me to mask my fascination with the array of surgical tools by pretending to be a serial killer - thus avoiding the shame of admitting to being a modeller - but, well, you just know how judgmental people get about such things.

Unable to drive to work for the day due to the newly-acquired patches of embroidery currently adorning the left shoulder (stitches oot in 10 days) settling down, a little more attention was showered upon the Iron Chicken. I'm taking the current slew of jobs putting the main fuselage structures together in a deliberately slow fashion to avoid any mistakes, so firstly I corrected the issues I'd discovered previously. The radio-op is now in the act of craning down and forward to look at through the windscreen:

41372542995_62640264f7_c.jpg

Not only did his previous stance clash with the roof of the cockpit but his eyeline would have been looking straight into the overhead panel as if he'd just spotted a particularly interesting switch there. His vacated chair has also been picked up off the floor and glued back into place behind him, so it no longer looks as if he's copped a strop at something:

42227849732_54b21e183b_c.jpg

Test fitting of the starboard fuselage revealed that a little more clearance was needed to accommodate the side of the IP coaming on this side too, which a birr in the Dremel made short work of correcting:

42227849762_743a18ddbb_c.jpg

Then time for a test-fit of the internal ceiling (that pipe at the back on the starboard side is just there to brace the starboard side to keep the ceiling levelled during gluing):

41372542665_397d80fd3b_c.jpg

I'm glad I'd been methodical about this phase of the build as the rearmost of those bulkheads that I put in to reinforce the gap between the internal ceiling and (vacformed) outer skin of the aircraft threw up an issue I should have anticipated:

42227849442_d3ea9b438d_c.jpg

Will that bulkhead conflict with the supporting blades (paradoxically designed to perform the same function) extending backwards from the rear of the spar box later on?

Answer:

42227849482_19094aef48_c.jpg

Partly.

Fine to port (in fact the interaction of those two elements helps raise the vacform to meet the outer surface of the kit part along the seam a lot more neatly), but the starboard downward-curve needs shaving. A small piece of shim on the centre blade also makes a useful addition at both sets of seam lines there, just where it needs a little tilt upwards to maintain the main contour of the aircraft in this region of the airframe:

41372542775_952d38ae31_c.jpg

One final visual check was necessary to see if those blades were visible through the gap in the ceiling:

42227849502_86b179a40f_c.jpg

No. Fine. Time to get the Araldite out.

Epoxied, taped and clamped:

41372542865_2da4d615a6_c.jpg

The other reason for taking part this sloooooow is just the sheer number of fiddly bits of framing and crew members inside that tunnel that - may it continue - I've so far managed to avoid snapping off or bending:

42227849622_a78f364d4a_c.jpg

That can sit for 24 hours now for the glue to dry and then on with the spar box and wing stubs.

Be careful going over to @CedBs current Spitfire thread. I went over unaccompanied by an adult this morning and ended up buying one of these:

61c7h++feKL._SX679_.jpg

Courtesy of:

Be careful. It could happen to you too...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Lovely, careful work Tony, coming together really nicely (behave! Even I think a Dbl-E on that comment is going too far) :D 

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I went over unaccompanied by an adult this morning and ended up buying one of these:

Oooh look, it's got a little rack for bits and things... NO, resist, RESIST! 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, CedB said:

... saved! :D 

...for now. :giggle:

I strongly suspect that said item will become a staunch companion on the Baronial bench - to which end I got round to tidying up what passes for a stash on these premises in order to free up more shelf space:

42252752042_bb8b8eec9c_z.jpg

Not as impressive as most I've seen on here but at the pace I build enough to keep going until medical science permits my download into a crystal lattice...

Moving those boxes around I found this stunning image slipped in between a couple of them:

40493557860_29156bf377_z.jpg

IIRC this aerial view of Edinburgh was reproduced in the Sunday Times or Oberver magazine (I can't remember which) nearly 20 years ago and has followed me round ever since. The caption reads 'Alfred Buckham, 1920' and after a quick dig on the Hinterwebs just now I'm pleased to note that you can get a digital print of this from the National Gallery of Scotland. 

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/shop/prints-posters/art-prints/aerial-view-edinburgh-alfred-buckham-art-print

More of the esteemed Capt. Buckham's EPIC work can be seen here:

http://alfredbuckham.co.uk/

Why on earth did I never look him up until now? 🤦‍♂️

In other news: 'Britmodeller in Britmodelling Missing Bit Blunder'.

Look what I forgot to install before fixing the ceiling on yesterday:

27430101217_89b10cda22_c.jpg

A few deep breaths and much delicate tweezering 'midst the entrails and I managed to get the jump seats installed forward on the port side:

27430101367_2749bdb6aa_c.jpg

Some Rocket Max gel to hold them in place and:

28426384798_595470a740_c.jpg

...you'll not even know that they're there at the end of the day. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well...'completism' and all that.

Before affixing the the spar box to the Box itself, there's the matter of the openings for the inboard flap actuators to attend to, which commoin sense dictates being done prior to gluing this large section to the aircraft. The best view of this region I found was in the flap test video James had punched up in this thread previously. Here's a freeze-frame from it with the relevant openings pencilled onto the kit:

40493272940_7227295af0_c.jpg

The kit moulding on the lowest part of that curve where the openings start is extremely thick, so required some thought as to the best way of cutting out such tall narrow openings without wrecking the work done previously to box this section in. In the end I hand-drilled the shape out - literally - by holding one of these drill bits between thumb and forefinger to gently drill an initial opening:

27430101467_911479008b_c.jpg

Once this was done the same drill bit was >most gently< used as a tiny cylindrical file to increase the opening little by little. A finished example on the left above, work in progress to the right. Final rectangular shaping was done with one of these, inherited from my father-in-law:

27430101447_1c0380f736_c.jpg

A most beautiful set of needle files that Mrs. B returned home with yesterday; herself and the brother are clearing out the old family homestead prior to sale and found them in a drawer, apparently never used until this morning. Alongside them were reams of these:

27430857467_2fdb2d433e_c.jpg

Remember the taste of licking them and sticking them into the books? Not once can I recall us ever actually gettting anything with them. Weird. 🤔

Ahem...Back to the present then and with that done on both sides, the way was clear to donk the roof on and glue it into place:

40493273100_830919c63f_c.jpg

The starboard side isn't glued on yet, but I found that I needed it in place in order to push the seam along the port wing root in enough for gluing, otherwise it tended to spring open too much:

28426384888_8515509a2f_c.jpg

I've been deliberately generous with the epoxy there as I learned back on the Dornier that it makes an excellent hard filler as well, one that can be carved back nice and flat, thus killing two birds with one stone for a job of this nature. Up a t'rear, a precautionary cocktail stick was inserted to avoid the starboard side of the vacform getting glued on prematurely at this stage:

27430101577_f61a0551a9_c.jpg

Another 'leave this overnight' job. Tomorrow the starboard.

Anyone watched The Terror yet?

It looks a grippingly Gothic fictionalized account of the Franklin Expedition. 

In relation to the above, Francis Spufford's:

41BkwJXp5RL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

is a magnificent survey of the sublime insanity that ice seem capable of producing in the mind.

Right. Main task this evening is to get out the Gaffer tape and fix the car. Driving along earlier the driver's-side rear window dropped down into the door with an alarming 'did we just drive over a zombie?' Crunk and we have to wait until the part is in on Monday for it to be fixed. It won't stay up without some prime Britmodelling bodgery but at least the wind seems set fair for France at the moment so the rain should keep off.

I'm rambling - must be the sudden increase in sunlight of late.

Take care mes braves...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

Pleased to see you got the seats in Tony. As we all know, late in the night when we're all asleep the crew come to life and will need somewhere to sit after standing up all day :mental:

Nice inheritance too... the files, of course, not the Green Shield stamps. I do remember the sessions glueing them into books and have a vague recollection of Mum exchanging them for something boring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

of course, not the Green Shield stamps. I do remember the sessions glueing them into books and have a vague recollection of Mum exchanging them for something boring.

I think a lot of us did Ced, and the Pink Shield ones to.

Nice work on the "Box" Tony.

Looking at those raised panel lines has fill me with dread when I come to build my AC version, some when.

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Starting to look like a proper aeromachinythingy now!

And yes, I did see that Airfix Fairey Battle in your stash......go on, you know you want to......

Ian

• Like 2

Great save with the seats, Tony- remarkable progress all round :worthy:

On a side note, I think you have far too many Italeri kits in your stash to be able to preserve your sanity .... :shrug:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 3

The car

Not a VW Golf is it?

Just pondering hours of my life wasted trying to make useless plastic clips hold for a temporary fix when somebody's door window went "Crunk"

After thirty years of working on cars on motorways in deep midwinter ICE is not a favourite subject for this summerlovin dude

Boxcar?

Looks darned wonderful Tony, praise be to epoxy 'stuff' the prime worker of miracles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow Dear Baron,

Pristine job and great save for the seat !

I still have bits of C-119 here at home, like static line pulley, interior lights 

And may be a seat or two.... 

As I would see your Boxcar finished, I won't show you that ceiling lamps in the cargo bay....

And I still have a part of engine cowling, intended to serve as a pedestal for my AC-119...

Your work is amazing, really impressive !

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

The car

Not a VW Golf is it?

Just pondering hours of my life wasted trying to make useless plastic clips hold for a temporary fix when somebody's door window went "Crunk"

After thirty years of working on cars on motorways in deep midwinter ICE is not a favourite subject for this summerlovin dude

Boxcar?

Looks darned wonderful Tony, praise be to epoxy 'stuff' the prime worker of miracles

Amazingly enough, I clearly understand what you mean...

Then you go again to fix another problem on that same car....

and your gimmick is still in use... 

Another sentence oftenly heard... No, I will not make any fees on that car, I'll change for a new one in 2 or 3 month...

A customer of mine tell me that same sentence for almost 3 years 😛

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice inheritance too... the files, of course, not the Green Shield stamps

I wonder would Proops Bros. let me exchange those green shield stamps for some tools? :laugh:

Bit late possibly.

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking at those raised panel lines has fill me with dread when I come to build my AC version, some when.

You must be brave Simon! Don't let the plastic see that you fear it! 👨‍🚀

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

And yes, I did see that Airfix Fairey Battle in your stash......go on, you know you want to......

I do - it's true!

(But not until you finish your magnificent masterclass build so that I know what I'm going to be doing...)

2 hours ago, giemme said:

On a side note, I think you have far too many Italeri kits in your stash to be able to preserve your sanity

Sanity? Have you forgotten this is Britmodeller? 🌪️

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Not a VW Golf is it?

A second-cousin Bill - it's a Skoda Octavia that's getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays so starting to develop all those niggly idiosyncracies that drive you mad. Luckily though we are blessed with a saint of a mechanic called Seamus who carries out mechanical exorcisms.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

praise be to epoxy 'stuff' the prime worker of miracles

Amen and thanks-be brother. It was you who introduced me to it - I just wouldn't look at anything except the 24-hour stuff now!

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

As I would see your Boxcar finished, I won't show you that ceiling lamps in the cargo bay....

The devils on here have already tried to tempt me to the introduction of electrical circuitry Cc.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Look what I forgot to install before fixing the ceiling on yesterday:

and that's only the first bit you forgot!

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Alongside them were reams of these:

27430857467_2fdb2d433e_c.jpg

As a student I worked in a gas station, sorry, garage over the summer which gave out the stamps.  Most of the clientele ignored the freebies so yours truly kept them (plus a substantial amount of others) and got a whole load of camping gear that year.

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Anyone watched The Terror yet?

Watched the season finale just last night.  Very good series.  I assume it's only just starting in the UK so I won't spoil it for you.  I'd rate it just behind Gotham

Nice donk by the way

Seems like forever since I delved into BM.

What a treat, 🤩 on my first look, engines painted, cowlings, internal seats found and fitted, smoothing primer and more smoothing. Flappy mc flappy face. Not to mention a spinal tap moment. Ahhhh, “where a man is a man and the children dance to the pipes of pan”  and all that.

Thanks Tony your slow build is making my build look even slower. I think slow is the new fast. Talking about fast builds, I need to pop an see what Ced is up too.

drills you say? 

Take is easy dear boy.

hope the hospital wasn’t too bad.

johnny. 🦉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3