We've had that and it is awful

Take your time, get back when you are ready, chat if you like any time

pace pal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Really sad to hear such a bad new.

All my condolences my friend.

Loosing a youngster is always a blow in the face, and I alas know what I mean.

Add my prayers to the ones of all your friends here on BM.

As I, like Bill, have been through such a harsh time, feel free to PM me if you feel the need for it.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keith, Benedikt, Ced, Giorgio, Simon & Lady R, Chillidragon, Tomo, Bill, CC, Ian, Corsairfoxfouruncle, Johnny, Martian, Crisp, Roger, Nigel: it needs to be said  - despite the obviousness of it  - but you're a damn fine bunch and I'm grateful for your thoughts. I don't like to let my own circumstances intrude here when so many others have experienced losses of their own, but disappearing so suddenly on you required (I felt) some explanation.

As mundane as it might sound, keeping the build going has provided a therapeutic ritual of sorts over the last few weeks - something practical and external to periodically absorb emotion and attention turned out a helpful mechanism. Not being up to really posting I've a backlog of images that I'll put up over the next few days, hopefully recollecting why I did certain things at the time.

First installment to follow....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

When last we met around the cauldron I believe I'd just finished midnighting the internals with some black Aclad primer; subsequent to that, some necessary parts had the odd blast of Alclad steel for variety's sake (and also partly 'to get a feel' for the substantial amount of metalworking that's going to be needed on the outside of Pelican 9 later on):

41046606311_d45c0a3fcf_c.jpg

Those long recovery poles in the centre of the above shot may look bent and indeed they are, to reproduce the curved  'splay' you see when they were deployed on recovery operations:

discoverer.jpg

The reason for the curvature is (from various crew accounts) a mixture of the flexible poles being deployed into the slipstream allied to the regular capture forces that bent (and in some instances snapped completely!) them over repeated recovery cycles. The Heath Robinson elegant method I used to reproduce this effect was to tape the poles together and bend them by hand around the curved pillar of my external monitor:

26175790197_aca612a262_c.jpg

Two items that I'd so far overlooked from the snag list were to make the removable plate that is used to cover the central cable deck prior to recovery, and the steel drum into which the Corona film capsule was placed for transit to the processing labs:

39603783990_3e3b546df5_m.jpg39237639160_b52446203d_c.jpg

Also remembering to 'pre-fold' the webbing for the jump seats to match where they'll need to hang off the side of the fuslage later:

26175790317_607eca770f_c.jpg

Now, much in the mode of EDSG brawls learned discussions: what green effects  - and I deliberately use the word 'effects' rather than single colour, given the range of hues that ended up on actual aircraft:

40301628444_997fac003b_b.jpg

I'm not trusting to museum restoration as a decisive arbiter in such matters as from looking through as many colour interior references as I could find, there are a number of issues:

1. Underlying chromate primer visible through the olive main coat due to thinnner/clumsier spraying in some areas and erosion of top coat in others.

2. Variation in olive green/drab pigment of paint batches in different times and places.

3. Photographic contamination - look at the above shot on the right -the yellowish hues around the light over the man's back indicates a tungsten light shot with a daylight colour temperature. Any nearby greens are then similarly shifted to the yellower end of the spectrum, giving false values.

To that list  can also add additional factors such as over/underexposure of various regions and subsequent brightness/contrast/gamma adjustments done in image manipulation packages, just to muddy the waters further....

The above information is clearer if you look at the varying RGB values for a range of green sampled from various C-119 interiors:

39237639300_07742b35c5_c.jpg

I think you'll agree that there is significant enough variation in the raw figures to resist authoritative statements reproducing a single hue?

Around the edge I'd just dabbed on some Tamiya variations as a way of working out what to do. 

More to follow in a bit....

• Like 12

After staring at greens until I thought I'd go a bit mad, the net result was that I decided to go for a mixture of zinc chromate undercoating overlaid with olive drab variation. In order to introduce some further visual interest to colours across surfaces, I used some scrap etch runners as irregular masking, for a (hopefully subtle) rectilinear feel to the final result. Here's the first pass of chromate then:

26175790537_b4fafa746f_c.jpg

The scrap etch used:

39237639370_84e2a69502_c.jpg

These bits were just rotated and overlaid in random fashion to avoid any regularity. If memory serves these were the remains of the ghastly Airwaves etch for the Meteor NF 14 - at last they have found redemption!

Seating and other sundry green areas such as the BT doors also received a light chromating:

41046606521_78952ab188_c.jpg

Then it was on with slowly building up variation in the top layers with something darker and more olive, using the etch again:

26175790587_7c43e017e3_c.jpg

Hopefully by now you get the idea - building up colour variation on a rectilinear basis with the etch masks all around the belly of the beast:

39237639500_e6e047e1e6_c.jpg

It looks still quite crude in this stage - especially with Pacman chomping along the port wall:

39237639560_9104b5e3f7_c.jpg

One thing you have to bear in mind is of course not making that top layer too dark (or too uniform), in allowance for the darkening effects of the varnish coat and any subsequent toning that need to be done:

26175790727_a3042097ea_c.jpg

After about three passes using this method it all starts to quieten down nicely in terms of colour contrasts:

39237639660_27fa6d280b_c.jpg

Similar for the fittings:

26175790847_3829435034_c.jpg

After the first few minutes the process becomes quite absorbing and organic in terms of building up effects, and after about 45 minutes we arrived at this point where I considered it time to draw this stage to a close:

39237639810_4a0dc4d161_c.jpg

That's it for tonight chaps. Tomorrow it's 'Adventures in Yellow' and other sundry assaults upon the retina.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

O u t standing!

Agreed 100%! :clap::worthy:

Looking forward to more of this painting magic :popcorn:

To be completely honest, I'm also very intrigued by the early green stages - I suppose they would be appropriate for a dismantled/abandoned aircraft ..

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm also very intrigued by the early green stages - I suppose they would be appropriate for a dismantled/abandoned aircraft ..

I was thinking exactly the same Giorgio!

That all looks really good Tony, I do like the innovative painting techniques you keep coming up with - great stuff!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For this one just in German: Hallo Tony. Großartig!! Ich liebe diese Art und Weise, wie Du einen kleinen Bausatz in einen prachtvolles Schmuckstück verwandelst oder dieses kannst. Meinen größten Respekt dafür, wie auch für die Genauigkeit bei der Farbwahl für den Laderaum hier!!  Sehr schöne Arbeit, wie sonst auch!! Viele Grüße Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some lovely work there Tony, as always! And it’s good to see this labour of love and detail moving along.

sorry it’s late, but I would like to pass on my condolences to you and the family for your loss, hope you’re all holding up ok.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Mr Baron, sir.

I've spent the last few days reading through this entire thread. You sir are awesome.

I was sorry to read of your loss, my condolences to you and you family.

Regards,

Bowcat

• Thanks 1