Catching Pictures in the Air

On 17/03/2018 at 10:30, CedB said:

Morning! Had another look at measuring line length on diagonals and no joy :(

Of course you could rotate a single line to the vertical, resize and rotate it back, or draw another flat line the right length, rotate that and change the original to match.

But you'll have thought of that I'm sure :)

Pythagoras is your friend :)

Or, perhaps more usefully, mark out a 1cm (other units are available) line on your drawing and set the screen scaling so it measures out at 2cm or some other easy multiple. Then measure your chosen line on screen with a ruler and divide it by 2 (or whatever). I do that all the time if I can't be bothered to print something out.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Tenterhooks... hmmm. Maybe not, what with all the soldering stuff that's eating into the budget :)

Snow? We've had loads here, probably about 6" (nothing to boast about) but it didn't stop an Amazon delivery... who are these people?

Not the cutter blade, obviously, that's not coming until later in the week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Course, I'll be on tenterhooks (what are tenterhooks anyway? :hmmm::shrug:)

It was only a few years ago that I realised it was tenterhooks, not tenderhooks. :dunce:

I still reckon that Ced (despite his protests) will find a use for and buy some...

I am looking forward to seeing his soldering journey.

• Like 2

Light breeze and grass glowing in the sun her all day today  - looks suspiciously like a Spring day, though looking at the British press this morning and some of the pics on the forum, the Ice Queen still rules Narnia over in Angleterre...

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Portsmouth is nigh on flat

Is that chippie still there opposite the gates to the Historic Dockyard Simon?

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I wonder how long it'll take @CedB to buy some, he's bound to see a use for them

Is he a big drier of linen?

It seems an odd hobby...

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Really looking forward to seeing some paint on this interior work of beauty

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to seeing the interior painted.

Your wait is over Giorgio & Chris - you can have any colour as long as it's black! :lol:

(see below)

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Pythagoras is your friend

We were never close but have had a reconciliation of late...:D

Thanks Prof. :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, CedB said:

but it didn't stop an Amazon delivery... who are these people

Underpaid bot-fodder regrettably....

18 hours ago, CedB said:

that's not coming until later in the week

I can't wait for it to arrive nearly as much as you can't Ced!:lol:

I've seriously blown too much cash this month but if you get good results I may be following 'Big Blade Bufton' into the Valley of Plastic next pay-day.

18 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I am looking forward to seeing his soldering journey.

You watch over us learner-solderers like a benevolent spirit Saint Nigel. ;)

This next part will be picture-heavy as I got as far as priming everything I could lay my hands on today, so if it looks like it's going to be too big I'll split this into Home Alone and Home Alone 2...

First job this morning was to complete preparations on the top bracket of the BT. You know when you get that nagging feeling that something hasn't quite coalesced, but you can't quite put your finger on it? Well I was a bit like that last night and after sleeping on the problem, realized I needed to solder a second mounting point to the back of the bracket where there was originally a 1mm hole halfway along if you recall:

40859727492_190fb200e4_c.jpg

The reasoning for this was to provide a superior bond to glue, allowing me to create a stronger mounting point for it out for some drilled scrap plastic added to the rearmost station:

40859723992_afd63f7e8c_c.jpg

That should be much stronger when epoxied into that hole now, whilst the more robust fixing will be well-concealed by the brackets themselves.

Good.

After a feed of both waffles and pancakes for a late breakfast, there was that much carbohydrate and sugar roistering around the system that I lunged straight in and began unearthing all the various bits and pieces of structure I've been accumulating for this aircraft over the last year (yes, it is a year, this began on March 9, 2017!). One change I've had to make since then is to raise my modelling surface to standing height as a concession to lower-back troubles that make sitting too painful for long periods:

40901575311_285ca5a65e_c.jpg

You get used to it quite quickly and I console myself that it has that same rakish vibe as leaning against the counter in one of those tiny French bars....:lol:

One last job I'd forgotten about was to drill some mounting holes in the cockpit floor for the control collumns:

27030941908_d8924c3e16_c.jpg

If you look at the green patches on the floor several millimetres in front of those collumns, that was where Italeri would have had you put the kit ones! Definitely no cigar...

Some final adjustments for height needed but the pilot's legs fit around them at least (hough he will be undergoing surgery later to make his legs stretch out to reach the rudder pedals):

40859724082_a00fc463d8_c.jpg

The priming-plan was simply to start piling the stuff together thematically, based on the various final colours going on to them, checking for damage and missing bits prior to getting the airbrush out:

27030942138_63f123b55b_c.jpg

Getting everything mounted for spraying became so regular and repetitive that I became conscious of making 'Ivor the Engine' sher-ter-coof  sher-ter-coof  sounds to myself.:banghead:

This took about an hour (the part collecting, not the sher-ter-coof ing), and aside from putting a door handle back on was surprisingly light on the need for running repairs - proving perhaps that at long last I've learned to keep stuff safe, even to the extent of putting lids on some of it....

Hear we are then ready for action:

40859724322_84a1a168dd_c.jpg

To prime everything, I went with the same Alclad Black Primer & Microfiller that I've come to rely on over the last couple of builds. Only last night though did I remember that I was down to a quarter of a bottle so whacked in an order for another couple of bottles.

The biggest bits got the first blast of midnight:

40901575621_d069993b00_c.jpg

I apologize for some of the over- and under-exposures - being black means some bits will end up too dark or too light, depending on how the light and shadow catch them. Oblique-light views are often most effective under such conditions I find:

27030942308_00c23729be_c.jpg

Ceiling:

40901575781_c575d2d704_c.jpg

The heat-shrunk bin-bag and Formula 560 approach for the roof soundproofing came out ok under a coat of primer, but as an experiment I'd also tried a similar approach on the smaller rearmost roof section using standard decorator's masking tape and a wash of Rocket Hot CA over it; if anything that latter approach is even better at giving a taut fabric-like expression to that area. (It occurred to me 1/72 tenterhooks might be another method...:lol:)

The err...bits that will need steel Alcladding:

40859724682_79476b2c63_c.jpg

Anything even remotely likely to have yellow on it anywhere:

27030942678_a71efb9ce7_c.jpg

Some bits like the cable deck will be a mixture of yellow, steel and non-slip floor colour (which I'm imagining might be some kind of dark grey?):

40859724552_44095c6579_c.jpg

Join us after the break for some more Dark Arts.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Is he a big drier of linen?

What, have you never seen his 50 page threads on Superdryunderpantsmodeller.com? You're missing a treat (although the actual modelling would be better undertaken by a much younger blonde of the female persuasion - just my opinion of course, YMMV, as our ex-colonial friends are wont to say...)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Part 2

Welcome Back.

27030942878_5d6f876753_c.jpg

I rather like the way the BT has turned out under a blast of black - seeing things as raw plastic for so long you get a bit jaded until this stage don't you?

40859724632_3895871fbf_c.jpg

Other bits that need Interior Green:

39091897120_2e95476e50_c.jpg

Those pesky brackets:

27030944898_272236e0f5_c.jpg

I call this next one 'Fire Damage in Ikea':

27030947108_2747ce7ba5_c.jpg

A closer look at the chairs:

40859725022_0231ff02f9_c.jpg

Unified under a single colour those multimedia parts give a nice mix of visual weights.

Cargo spaces and flight deck:

40859724432_cbf092cddb_c.jpg

Should be able to track a satellite with all that gear:

40901576281_60b9c19176_c.jpg

That circular orifice on the second shelf is some kind of orangey CRT that I'll fill in after painting using some orange paint mixed in with PVA.

Forward bulkhead:

27030942468_c788ac7860_c.jpg

IP and console:

40901575941_fd1ee46e48_c.jpg

And to finish - the family portrait (all put away to dry safely in the spray booth):

39091898090_6b0812bbd3_c.jpg

Well, that did for the bank-holiday - back to work tomorrow and a busy week so I would expect no further movement of note until next weekend, That's quite handy, as I haven't a clue what to do next - more paint of course but possibly some crew surgery for Easter!

:evil_laugh::wicked:

26030546137_e746bd6f7f_c.jpg

3 minutes ago, giemme said:

You did spray some black, didn't you?

Everywhere. On Everything.:whistle:

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What, have you never seen his 50 page threads on Superdryunderpantsmodeller.com?

:rofl2: I read that as '50 page spreads' and spat me coffee out...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Is that chippie still there opposite the gates to the Historic Dockyard Simon?

Yes Tony, it is mate, does a thriving trade.

I go past it at least once a fortnight, must pop in one time and gorge on proper fish and chips.

Not a proper Chippy in the city centre...

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

that same rakish vibe as leaning against the counter in one of those tiny French bars.

Why did I read that as "French bras"? The image that popped into my head was NOT particularly attractive!

It's all looking even more impressive in black!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 3

I too am devoted to Alclad black primer - it does the job like nothing else in my opinion.  Though I have yet to try the stuff with the bizarre name.  Styl ‘n’ Reg or something [sound like two dodgy Dutch geezers]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see you had a black day!!! (in Italian this has got a meaning,,,not sure in English!)

Anyway that cockpit with those brass details is wonderful!!!

Not having a good relationship with soldering , i really admire the result you got !!!

I love what I'm seeing in thisbuild!!!

Looking forward for seing the rest of it!!!:yes:

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder what Ian's got against French bras

I'm quite in favour meself

And I am also very much in favour of that black looking primer, less enamoured, it must be said with The Dutch guys

I was using the (now they tell me) less than optimal 0.2mm nozzle/needle combo though

When I get control of my breathing functions again I will give it another go with the recently commended 0.3mm combination

Reports will then follow

I was a bit nonplussed at priming in black but I think I see light on the horizon, should end up as an under highlighter

Altogether looks damned wunnerfull. ☺

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Yes Tony, it is mate, does a thriving trade.

I go past it at least once a fortnight, must pop in one time and gorge on proper fish and chips.

Good to know Simon - fond memories of sitting on a bench across the road from it with the family and watching - I think it was the Invincible - coming in to harbour in the kind of transcendental state that only stuffing your face with deep-fried food can give...:D

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

My laughy likey on your last post was for the final line Tony, by no means is there anything funny about your modelling update,

Now would I ever take offence at anything said by a man with a pet Tyrannosaurus Keith?:D

14 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

That black glove still scares me though...

Oh yeah, 70s adverts...sorry but I couldn't resist:

The proximity of those two statements is...disturbing.:lol:

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Why did I read that as "French bras"?

A question we're all asking ourselves...

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It's all looking even more impressive in black!

The br-

Oh.

The model, yes.

Yes of course.

Thank-you Ian. :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I too am devoted to Alclad black primer - it does the job like nothing else in my  opinion.  Though I have yet to try the stuff with the bizarre name.  Styl ‘n’ Reg or something [sound like two dodgy Dutch geezers]

:lol: I find the 'silkiness' of that Alclad stuff just too damn pleasing to have a reason to seek alternatives...

1 hour ago, massimo said:

I see you had a black day!!! (in Italian this has got a meaning,,,not sure in English!)

And now 'vedere tutto nero'...:D

Thanks for the kind comments Massimo - you new portrait-avatar is brilliant!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I was a bit nonplussed at priming in black but I think I see light on the horizon, should end up as an under highlighter

Being a bit of a convert to black-basing of late, the 'Goth' approach to priming is plenty forgiving of my mistakes when colouring in with the crayons later.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

When I get control of my breathing functions again I will give it another go

Dear Lord. Bill - I hope you're not suffering? :undecided:

Thanks for the kind comments fellows - meant to be at work today but waiting to see a physio instead due to the back going last night - blame the silliness on the painkillers...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant, nice one Tony looking good.  Nearly finished then !!

Yep. Only a year to go now Chris. ;)

16 hours ago, giemme said:

More black marvel

Can't beat a coat of midnight to give an aircraft that special air of mystery can you? :D

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Nice work Tony!

Thanks Benedikt. Took a lot longer to get to the priming stage than I'd anticipated...

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

:rage:

Superb work - nuff said

I see what you did there. :lol:

Thanks James.

• Like 3

Marvellous stuff Tony, all that hard work coming beautifully together... :)

I watched the adverts too - ah, the memories! I especially enjoyed the Twix ad - so handy, bigger than other snacks and two bars so that when your lovely, blonde girlfriend arrives you can give her one...

Oh, OK, if you must, fnaar fnaar! :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6