Catching Pictures in the Air

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Was that the big Monogram B-36 you did? Deep envy. Now that is something that I covet but just can't justify the current cost of acquisition. Again I'm drawn to that aircraft, despite it being designed to look like a Northrop Flying Wing surprised from behind by a B-29...

Yes the biggun, it's a great kit, again very much of it's era.

A friend of mine sold it to me for a tenner about 4 weeks before a model show, he couldn't believe it when he saw it displayed at said show, and that took 2nd!  I used Kitkat wrappers for the metal finish, found that you can get four shades per wrapper on that job!  That was about 28 years ago!

I would highly recommend it to you, you might find it cheap at a show or jumble maybe, but I would try and get the Monogram original.

The 'Wing' kit looks nice made up, but a right bugger to build!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

For what it's worth Tony, other than grinding out the injection marks you could leave the interior detail and then build on top of it. Looking at the pictures of the interior frame work the kit detail is not to far from what I would call the base frame work, then there appears to be frame work and wiring etc built up as a layer on top? Or am I talking out if the other name for a donkey??

I LOVE the composition of your last pic, right up my street! You have a knack for this picture taking lark, anyone would think you enjoy it 😃.

i am glad Toni has stiffened the old resolve... crack on

Rob 

• Like 3

I rather like the idea of showing some of the research and preparatory process, something I have never thought of doing with my builds before. Whilst not applicable to every build, it is very educational and something I am going to have to think about very seriously in the future.

As for thinking overly hard about the things you have to do before a build, don't. It's probably the worst thing you can do. The potential problems can build up in one's mind to the point that a build never gets started. Way better to plunge in and deal with any problems as thy arise. One also finds that the further a build progresses and the more one has invested in it, the more determined one becomes to overcome any issues if and when they do arise. Works for this alien!

Martian

• Like 4

Meticulous planning there Tony - great stuff.

Metal finishes: I've tried a few and, personally, settled on AK True Metal paste as I don't like smelly Alclad stuff and I like the control under the hairy brush. I have also bookmarked 'Old Man's' technique of using egg-shell stained metal kitchen foil - might be worth a go? Scroll up from that link to see his models - amazing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If you really want quixotic and ungainly I could give you a few suggestions, but I really don't think you want to go there...how are your rigging skills?

:lol: If it's big and Russian you're on your own pal - I'm not that mad! :hmmm:

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I would have absolutely no idea of how to go about it, but have you thought about the possibility of getting some custom photo etch done for all that interior framework?

Wotcha Keith. Tbh I didn't know anyone even did custom photo-etch! I've looked high and low for a rare Aeroclub Complete C-119 Interior White Metal Deluxe set as well but to no avail...This may turn out to be a job for plasticard and patience as the kit framework for those walls bears no resemblance structurally to the real thing in terms of the placement of divisions.....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes the biggun, it's a great kit, again very much of it's era.

A friend of mine sold it to me for a tenner about 4 weeks before a model show, he couldn't believe it when he saw it displayed at said show, and that took 2nd!  I used Kitkat wrappers for the metal finish, found that you can get four shades per wrapper on that job!  That was about 28 years ago!

I would highly recommend it to you, you might find it cheap at a show or jumble maybe, but I would try and get the Monogram original.

A Kit-Kat Peacemaker? An impressive feat - ploughshares into swords if ever! I remain ever vigilant and eternally optimistic that an unfeasibly-cheap Monogram boxing will one day turn up.

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

For what it's worth Tony, other than grinding out the injection marks you could leave the interior detail and then build on top of it. Looking at the pictures of the interior frame work the kit detail is not to far from what I would call the base frame work, then there appears to be frame work and wiring etc built up as a layer on top? Or am I talking out if the other name for a donkey??

I LOVE the composition of your last pic, right up my street! You have a knack for this picture taking lark, anyone would think you enjoy it 😃.

i am glad Toni has stiffened the old resolve... crack on

Cheers Rob for trying to to soften the blow in such a gentlemanly fashion. On closer inspection I regret that the kit moulding for that framework is just not passing muster in the Baronial Hangar. A quick look at the placement of dividers in relation to window openings is enough for me to start rummaging through the Dremel attachments in earnest.

Glad you liked the photo - the various lights are just so transient here at present that it's almost kaleidoscopic. There was a kind of apricot mist at dawn that turned into blue fumes as I was driving into work, and then became a kind of radiant  pearl-grey as the sun got higher by 9am. Ravishingly vernal.

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I rather like the idea of showing some of the research and preparatory process, something I have never thought of doing with my builds before. Whilst not applicable to every build, it is very educational and something I am going to have to think about very seriously in the future.

As for thinking overly hard about the things you have to do before a build, don't. It's probably the worst thing you can do. The potential problems can build up in one's mind to the point that a build never gets started. Way better to plunge in and deal with any problems as thy arise. One also finds that the further a build progresses and the more one has invested in it, the more determined one becomes to overcome any issues if and when they do arise. Works for this alien!

Yep.

In complete agreement with that Martian. Once I've used the drawing phase as a way of getting a feel for the various shapes and dimensions, I'll just plunge straight into the grinding and building, letting it develop bit by bit, rather than a tight and unyeilding plan.

If past experience is anything to go by, the aircraft will tell me what it needs as things progress anyway...

I thought of whacking up the basic research on this because although there's a relatively decent amount of historical background about these missions coming out, there's considerably less about the aircraft concerned from a perspective that's helpful to the modeller, so I hope the drawings and references help others.

It's not something I'll do on all future occasions if I think I'm just repeating stuff people have already done to death, but in this instance, quite rewarding trying to make sense of what was going on in operational terms.

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excelent plans. B)

What is it they say about the  best-laid ones...? :huh:

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Meticulous planning there Tony - great stuff.

Metal finishes: I've tried a few and, personally, settled on AK True Metal paste as I don't like smelly Alclad stuff and I like the control under the hairy brush. I have also bookmarked 'Old Man's' technique of using egg-shell stained metal kitchen foil - might be worth a go? Scroll up from that link to see his models - amazing.

Muchos gracias Señor Cederico. Well I never - eggshell foiliage?  I'm going to have me a look at that. You can't make un Car du Box without breaking oeufs, as Gordon Kaye might have said (only once)....

Nada progress to report tonight as my eyes are in work-to-rule mode after an afternoon of heavy visual activity; however I hope to finish off the working drawing for the roof detail and maybe start on grinding out the interior framework down t'back. When I still haven't progressed past this stage by the winter solstice, someone please remind me in gloating terms of how foolishly optimistic I was back in the spring.....:hourglass:

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Cheers Rob for trying to to soften the blow in such a gentlemanly fashion. On closer inspection I regret that the kit moulding for that framework is just not passing muster in the Baronial Hangar. A quick look at the placement of dividers in relation to window openings is enough for me to start rummaging through the Dremel attachments in earnest.

Glad you liked the photo - the various lights are just so transient here at present that it's almost kaleidoscopic. There was a kind of apricot mist at dawn that turned into blue fumes as I was driving into work, and then became a kind of radiant  pearl-grey as the sun got higher by 9am. Ravishingly vernal.

That is a delightful paragraph, you are it would appear a man after my heart. the way light falls on my drive to work (from Malvern to Hereford, the countryside there is beautiful) is really rather inspiring, spring and autumn are they best times of year to catch this as the weather varies so much and so quickly that the effect are wonderful. A few days ago my kids went nuts as the sun and rain managed to create a perfect double rainbow the appeared land right in front of us on the road. I wish my eyes were cameras, light is a brilliant thing...

bummer about the frame work mate....

Rob

• Like 5

On 10/03/2017 at 8:07 PM, TheBaron said:

Wotcha Miggers! Long time no hear.:D

Thanks for the tips on the kit. I'm going to dig it out for a good fondling over the weekend to get a sense of what's in store, and also to start sketching out jobs for the interior in particular.

After reading your post, I've  just had an alarming read in the Aerofax volume about technical failures on this baby, including this chestnut:

2017-03-10_07-44-54

You imagine his report was terse and probably consisted of 'I'm [<expletive] off!':lol:

On p.36 there's a detailed discussion of 'propellor issues'(as it delicately puts it) but it states that only 22 of the 'G's were retrofitted with three-bladed HS props to create the 'L'. variant. There's a detailed table on P.33 of the same volume and this gives the 'J' variant as having an Aeroproducts f40k-1-198-18MZ prop on a dash 89B variant of the R-3350 engine. Any shots I've seen of the aircraft I'm doing seem to be four-bladed also.

(I had to go look all this up, I can't imagine how you remember it all off pat!)

Apparently ditching a Boxcar was considered so lethal to the crews that the flying manual simply said DON'T....

Tony

Hiya Tone.

It's been that time of year(fields,shotguns,pheasants,etc).

Told ya,there used to be a great version out there for Microsoft flight sim.

About ten years ago,I used to "fly" for a virtual airline(usually 748's in Hawaii)that had a "contract"up in Alaska carting

freight about the oilfields.

The C119G/L was the weapon of choice(as I said,the G version replicated the Aeroproducts prop "habits").

Not only ditching,belly landings were also very best avoided,the entire cockpit section would collapse and fold under the rest

of the airframe in either scenario,hence,the crew would go over the side instead of riding it down wherever possible.

They were used as firebombers too,but usually in flat areas,the flaps don't really have enough authority to slow 'em

down for tight valley or hilly area work.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wotcha Keith. Tbh I didn't know anyone even did custom photo-etch! 

I've read about it a few times in model railway mags, they seem to like the idea, but not really taken much notice as I rarely use even the readily available stuff. From what i recall there are firms that you can send your artwork to & they will convert it into shiny sheets of brass. I tend to think it might not be an inexpensive process! I've also seen articles on making your own P.E. at home, but the toxicity of the various chemicals involved reminds me of past work life visits to the Hell on earth places that were metal platiing works...!! And I'm too lazy to even think about trying it out - I'd just leave the rear doors shut...!

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

In complete agreement with that Martian. Once I've used the drawing phase as a way of getting a feel for the various shapes and dimensions, I'll just plunge straight into the grinding and building, letting it develop bit by bit, rather than a tight and unyeilding plan.

If past experience is anything to go by, the aircraft will tell me what it needs as things progress anyway...

I thought of whacking up the basic research on this because although there's a relatively decent amount of historical background about these missions coming out, there's considerably less about the aircraft concerned from a perspective that's helpful to the modeller, so I hope the drawings and references help others.

It's not something I'll do on all future occasions if I think I'm just repeating stuff people have already done to death, but in this instance, quite rewarding trying to make sense of what was going on in operational terms.

What is it they say about the  best-laid ones...? :huh:

I forgot to mention as well that when you do hit a brick wall, there are plenty here in the cheap seats prepared to offer ill informed advice and/or abuse.

Martian the Not Quite So Helpful

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

That is a delightful paragraph, you are it would appear a man after my heart. the way light falls on my drive to work (from Malvern to Hereford, the countryside there is beautiful) is really rather inspiring, spring and autumn are they best times of year to catch this as the weather varies so much and so quickly that the effect are wonderful. A few days ago my kids went nuts as the sun and rain managed to create a perfect double rainbow the appeared land right in front of us on the road. I wish my eyes were cameras, light is a brilliant thing...

bummer about the frame work mate....

:D Nice one. It sounds like you might enjoy this volume Rob if you haven't come across it yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/16/six-facets-of-light-ann-wroe-review

Mrs. B currently has custody of it (well, it was part of her birthday present I guess...), but from the covert readings I've managed to obtain, it is exquisite. As indeed that x2 rainbow sounded - may it bring you and yours much luck! :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, Miggers said:

Hiya Tone.

It's been that time of year(fields,shotguns,pheasants,etc).

Any good bags?

I re-read this recently and found it most enjoyable:

http://www.existentialennui.com/2012/03/book-review-rough-shoot-by-geoffrey.html

You have to admire the apparent business prowess of:

'Roger Taine, a Dorset salesman who rents 450 acres of rough shooting from a local farmer...' Much in the John Buchan mode and roars along.

16 hours ago, Miggers said:

About ten years ago,I used to "fly" for a virtual airline(usually 748's in Hawaii)that had a "contract"up in Alaska carting

freight about the oilfields.

The C119G/L was the weapon of choice(as I said,the G version replicated the Aeroproducts prop "habits").

Not only ditching,belly landings were also very best avoided,the entire cockpit section would collapse and fold under the rest

of the airframe in either scenario,hence,the crew would go over the side instead of riding it down wherever possible.

They were used as firebombers too,but usually in flat areas,the flaps don't really have enough authority to slow 'em

down for tight valley or hilly area work.

I've been trying to teach my grandmother to such eggs when it comes to this one I can see Miggers; I wonder were those the same Alaskan '19s that Cookie mentioned earlier in the thread?:hmmm:I can't help noticing how many memoirs of flying in this aircraft seems to stress the abundance of available parachutes....

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've read about it a few times in model railway mags, they seem to like the idea, but not really taken much notice as I rarely use even the readily available stuff. From what i recall there are firms that you can send your artwork to & they will convert it into shiny sheets of brass. I tend to think it might not be an inexpensive process! I've also seen articles on making your own P.E. at home, but the toxicity of the various chemicals involved reminds me of past work life visits to the Hell on earth places that were metal platiing works...!! And I'm too lazy to even think about trying it out - I'd just leave the rear doors shut...!

TBH the process sounds so wonderfully Victorian Keith that i'd love to try it one day, but like the Professor's lab in The First Men in the Moon, I would probably end up having to explain something like this to the insurance company:

vlcsnap-178121.png

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I forgot to mention as well that when you do hit a brick wall, there are plenty here in the cheap seats prepared to offer ill informed advice and/or abuse.

Martian the Not Quite So Helpful

Thanks Martian...I think...;) I'm now starting to get a bit nervous that you've anticipated some major issue that I've blithely overlooked in my customary haste to grind bits off of a perfectly reasonable kit...:o In line with which, here's a bit more detail for the interior ceiling:

33307428411_94822e37d6_c.jpg

Not so much detail available for this region compared to the walls and floor, mostly culled from avery small number of low-angle shots taken looking in from the back. Also, no two shots show identical configurations and arrangements of sound-proofing etc. so this is biased more towards what I can see on contemporary shots of Pelican 9.

33280039242_15fbe05633_c.jpg

No more drawings now. Time for action. Wave goodbye to the interior frame mouldings you see there....

• Like 9

No, you're fine Tony. I haven't detected any specific problems but on any big project, some problems are certain to arise and, for better or worse, that's where we can try and help.

Martian

• Like 1

Some excellent prep work going on, love 'actual' scribblings!

Have to agree with Martian about the background and history you present in your posts, I really don't know how you do it.

I seem to have a little bit of time with the kit and then the photos and writing takes up a fair amount of time.

• Like 1

Mostly been beating and picking up meself Tony,though the lad and I went out with our "blunderbusses"t'other week

and bagged a nice hen and half a dozen woodies.

Here's another good read for you if you like that sort of book:

http://www.gamekeeperslife.com/TTS_Web/Welcome.html

The virtual airline was "Venture Hawaii" in,well,Hawaii,the Alaskan side of it was(surprise,surprise)"Venture Alaskan".

We also used DC-6C's(pretty agile for a big'un),but the 119 was more common because of the ability to lug a big load

in one lump.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

No, you're fine Tony. I haven't detected any specific problems but on any big project, some problems are certain to arise and, for better or worse, that's where we can try and help.

:phew: I've already noticed a slew of things I'm going to need professional advice on here...Quilted soundproofing material for one!

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Some excellent prep work going on, love 'actual' scribblings!

Have to agree with Martian about the background and history you present in your posts, I really don't know how you do it.

I seem to have a little bit of time with the kit and then the photos and writing takes up a fair amount of time.

Much as I work with digital gear all the time I'm still very much an ink and papyrus man at heart when it comes to drawing. It's a fundamental act of exploration imo and even a graphics tablet doesn't reproduce that sufficiently for me.

As to the background materials, I never deliberately start out to make them feature so heavily, but the more I found out about the subject over time, the more the field seems to  open-out before you in a fascinating manner. Writing-up the build itself is just a profound and public confession that I'm making this up as we go along for the most part...:lol:

I doubt I'd have been up for this at all tbh when our children were young, but with both of them firmly and independently enmeshed in teenager-hood now, I get a decent run at things for the most part.

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Mostly been beating and picking up meself Tony,though the lad and I went out with our "blunderbusses"t'other week

and bagged a nice hen and half a dozen woodies.

Nice! I came across an old Jack Hargreaves film recently of him out picking-up with his dog Bess on a shoot, filmed I think in the late 60s/early 70s. Most evocative of time and place.

• Like 4

Tony if you do fancy having a bash at some home brew etch, check out this link from the esteemed Mr Cheshiretaurus, hopefully he won't mind me quoting him. It is a superb link, very useful and I intend to give it a go sometime (yikes). That said you could always turn your hand to making some Cavorite. Bound to come in handy and save having to use the ladders.

• Like 2

Consider this an endorsement of the 'detail, design and carve the hell out of it' school over here by the bar, Kronenbourg tonight!

You may have noticed it to be the way I do much of my 'public' building too

I find having a reason to explain and categorise what I do helps the little difficult bits come more easily too

And there is always a willing audience to give a sharp dose of hectory and advisement if I ever need one (you lot)

on many of my pictorial bits you can see the pencil planning sessions outlined under the model bits on odd scraps of A4

The fore-planning here is in my opinion an exemplary lesson in scratchery

Please do it as often as you like on any of your builds, it is impressive and entertaining

I've got some of the AK True Metal to try out when I get into my Lightning build

Next year, this being the year of the nautics for me, so I cant tell you yet how it works

maybe you will be telling me...

;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

:phew: I've already noticed a slew of things I'm going to need professional advice on here...Quilted soundproofing material for one!

Simples! check out plastic disposable plates. They often have the pattern you seek and a pack wil last you a lifetime.

Martian 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Tony if you do fancy having a bash at some home brew etch, check out this link from the esteemed Mr Cheshiretaurus, hopefully he won't mind me quoting him. It is a superb link, very useful and I intend to give it a go sometime (yikes). That said you could always turn your hand to making some Cavorite. Bound to come in handy and save having to use the ladders.

Mr.T, that is a fantastic link. I've just spent 30 mins digesting it over a morning cuppa and have to say that the slightly alchemical process is a deeply appealing one. I've bookmarked that now. :thumbsup2:

It would be madness to try that out on anything big or complex the first time out, but might however make a perfect project for a small and simple build in order to get your eye in. I've a little Aeroclub Tiger Moth that might fit that bill....

Cavorite would certainly make it easier to have the finished aircraft hanging from the ceiling wouldn't it? I must mention that to Ced....

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Consider this an endorsement of the 'detail, design and carve the hell out of it' school over here by the bar, Kronenbourg tonight!

You may have noticed it to be the way I do much of my 'public' building too

I find having a reason to explain and categorise what I do helps the little difficult bits come more easily too

And there is always a willing audience to give a sharp dose of hectory and advisement if I ever need one (you lot)

Endorsement happily acknowledged Bill. In complete agreement with the above; the only other factor I'd add would be that of once having made wild undertakings in public about what I want to do to a kit (including the making of female aircrew...), it stops me from any moral backsliding away from the problem should it get uber-tricky, knowing that a knowledgable audience is watching...

9 hours ago, perdu said:

on many of my pictorial bits you can see the pencil planning sessions outlined under the model bits on odd scraps of A4

The fore-planning here is in my opinion an exemplary lesson in scratchery

Please do it as often as you like on any of your builds, it is impressive and entertaining

I've got some of the AK True Metal to try out when I get into my Lightning build

Next year, this being the year of the nautics for me, so I cant tell you yet how it works

Over the last year or so I've come to rely more on my own drawings (done from  reference photos) and largely stopped using pre-existing drawings altogether (barring the kind of top-notch engineering references that John (canberra kid) is so generous with). Seeing the level of preparation that you put into your Wasp, and Crisp's Sea King plans, have both recently  been contributing factors in making me do more in this regard....:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh my. This may take some time.;)

I fondly imagine you pointing this build out to your grand-children and telling them how confident the old codger was when he started, and yet he's still working on the interior....

:lol:

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Simples! check out plastic disposable plates. They often have the pattern you seek and a pack wil last you a lifetime.

Now. That is a thought. Thanks Martian!

• Like 3

Cavorite! On the shopping list, thanks Tony! :D

(That's meant to be a joke, obviously. That said I was disappointed that I couldn't screenshot a 'buy Cavorite at low prices' link, not even on Google. Rats)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Cavorite! On the shopping list, thanks Tony! :D

(That's meant to be a joke, obviously. That said I was disappointed that I couldn't screenshot a 'buy Cavorite at low prices' link, not even on Google. Rats)

:lol: I'm equally surprised there isn't actually someone trying to sell some thing like it on the 'bay TBH Ced, with a caveat emptor in very very small print...

I have to go into a scheduled vacuous posturing session meeting at work later after lunch :shutup: so I've been preparing for it with the Dremel, or more accurately the Junior Home Marathon Man Set:

33453730235_390214c703_c.jpg

Decadent to have to admit it in the face of such riches, but it don't actually see the tool I want there for grinding the interior. Then I found these up on a shelf:

33298086512_fff4689b66_c.jpg

A bag of birrs I've no recollection buying. From (limited) experience I reckon the first and fifth will be the most practical. Here's a last look at what's going:

32610843864_1d9a95d1df_c.jpg

Not that you'll see the above view when the interior bulkhead goes in behind the cockpit. But you'll be able to see a lot of this:

33298087332_dfa5f20f69_c.jpg

Just holding the Dremel in the hand for this won't yield precise enough control swhould the birr slip, so it's out with the by now familiar ad hoc lathe:

32610845134_013917aae9_c.jpg

In a rare moment of thoughtfulness regarding mess. I've mounted this in the spraying booth so the grindings shouldn't go all over the place. About 20 minutes-worth of offerings-up to those two birrs, and we have starboard reduced:

33453729695_676f2abc4d_c.jpg

The framing is all off on one side as you can see - any over-grinds can be made good with filler later. The wall detailing in the cockpit has been erased as well, it's just too 'soft' in shape. I'll do the port side over the next day or so for short a session that it was, it was quite intense and focussed, and I want to be fresh for pt.2.

What was I bragging earlier about containing the mess?

32610846044_eec95e501a_c.jpg

Great. Now I get to go into work looking like an effin sparkly vampire....

Just before I go: I had a brief hypnagogic 'moment' last night in which I had a picture of one of those fish-eye peep-holes (the kind you have in a front door) mounted in place of one of the windows in the fuselage, situated so that you could see around the insides of the aircraft. The window opening is only about 3mm across though and seems too small for any I've seen for sale. Besides, it'd only stick out from the fuselage and not be a realistic part of the aircraft. Daft idea.

I'd better got and get rid of those sparkles now before facing my colleagues...

:bye: Tony

• Like 14

Good stuff Tony. I would have been tempted to go to the meeting with 'the sparkles', just to see what the reaction was!

• Like 2

Nice work grinding the old stuff off Tony. Will you be hanging this from the ceiling?

I've been pondering your 'viewing the interior' conundrum.

My brain has been fuddling with the idea of a miniature 'Spy Camera' (seems pertinent to the subject) either cunningly built into the interior, or angled from a point outside. You could then view the interior on a monitor etc when you felt like it :photo: .

They're all prices, sizes and shapes. This one's disguised as a Phillips screw:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171929560976 

Another of my hair brained, not quite formed ideas. Led lights inside the cargo bay (cockpit and wings etc) would be nice too :).

Not that I'm trying to create unnecessary complications :whistle: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 4