Catching Pictures in the Air

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Brilliant!

I'm in danger of developing a latex glove fetish from having worn them handling the Iron Chicken with them on so much recently in order to avoid leaving sticky paw-prints on the shiny...

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Simply should have grown a huger vocabulary

I was curious to know what language the word 'Wow' actually sprang from and fascinated to learn that it apparently came from the Scotland in the 16th century.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/09/wow.html

Sorry, this is turning into 'Ask the Family'...

19 hours ago, CedB said:

She flies!!

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

X 2.

Thanks for getting excited too chaps. I was a bit giggly all told last evening on the strength of getting the roost built.... :laugh:

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

All that work for a desk lamp?

Tsk!

:rofl2: It's pure Conran ain't it.... :winkgrin:

18 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Wow

Oh Gosh Tomo! Utter nostalgia! 😃

Sinister bread-based aerial surveillance devices that led to our drone-culture....

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Ooooh wow! :wow::wow:Outstanding!!

Steady there dear fellow - you'll have the wine over....

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Iron Airborne Chicken!  Bloomin’ lovely.

Ta Crisp. :thumbsup2: Not long now....

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Would like to see a picture in daylight.

That will certainly happen for the RFI Benedikt. :nodding:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

I couldn't bring myself to reproduce that picture, so disturbing was it! :rofl2::rofl2:

Half-day today so straight to work getting the hinges on the flaps bedded-in:

44335755902_1bac9089b4_c.jpg

Getting them settled onto the inboard flaps was a bit if a bugger due to the tight angles but luckily I'd got a long pair of tweezers in reserve that did the trick. The outer ones slipped-in nice and handy however:

44335755892_346c593693_c.jpg

I used Gator's Grip (Normal blend) here as not trusting CA for such jobs and wanted to avoid smearing epoxy over any of the surroundings. Tbh I should be trusting GG much more than I have in the past - it's great stuff and grips well, plus very easy on the clean-up.

Then it was over to the piece I keep forgetting about - the lower door that retracts upwards into the roof of the BT. A test fit in relation to photographs revealed that it needed the inboard end holding away from direct contact with the roof by a few mills., so I added a length of scrap to that end first:

29448028407_0835c6c301_c.jpg

That then sat-in at a nicely-plausible angle compared to shots taken from inside the aircraft during recovery operations:

44335755992_985cdd492b_c.jpg

I also added the rearmost hinges from which it pivots upwards:

44335756012_310ba8cfc2_c.jpg

That's being left well alone now to let everything set before I touch it any further.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

:nod:

Caught it perfectly

:nodding:

Right down to the very minute detail! :clap: :clap:

18 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Steady there dear fellow - you'll have the wine over....

Wine? Where? Can't see any of.... drats, here!  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Caught it perfectly

That's most kind Bill: it IS amazing what staring at the maintenance manual and same set of photographs for over a year can let you arrive at.

My main worry though is that just like real chicken, I may have imprinted this so deeply that on any future occasion I see a C-119, I'll instinctively run up to it for protection like a Mother Hen.... :banghead:

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Right down to the very minute detail!

If ever you see me buying a micoscope Giorgio, please stage an intervention because I shall be beyond help....

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Wine? Where? Can't see any of.... drats, here!  

It's the weekend - you're off the leash now! :cheers:

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Are the crew giddy yet? Being hung upside down must be making them nauseous...

Oh God! I built a Time Tunnel!

20 hours ago, hendie said:

lorra lorra luverly little details there Tony

Thanks hendie - bit more coming up!

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Just spent twenty minutes catching up after half a week away

Did you go anywhere nice or were you on an intergalactic cruise in your office? 😃

The exhausts are on:

30534526418_debe0a3d63_c.jpg

Three per engine. I'm happy with the sharper definition that using brass tubing gave in the end, here with an outer layer of Alclad 'Exhaust Manifold':

43494497255_63fce7883a_c.jpg

Those went on with Gator's Grip but for the antennae farm (I know that's not the correct term for aircraft as opposed to ground stations but I like it) I elected to go for Araldite, on the grounds that the extra strength to brace rigging will be needed here:

30534526498_695baa92b2_c.jpg

It also gives you plenty of time to wiggle them up squared-off in relation to one another:

43494497325_d7af261b8b_c.jpg

Getting the Yagi array similarly square up on the schnozz was like trying to play tennis with yourself but I got there in the end:

44402591561_ee54e758c3_c.jpg

I knew buying multiple steel rulers has a purpose...

43494497465_b3ecd0848d_c.jpg

That's as much as I'm chancing my arm over today. I always find such jobs leave me exhausted at the level of concentration required so that lot can set overnight now before getting the pitots and rigging on tomorrow.

It's not beyond the bounds there'll be an RFI at some point during the week!

And on that bombshell &etc.

Tony

PS. Your encouragement has been brilliant at seeing me through this last set of 'bitty' jobs. :thanks:

PPS. And propellers, don't forget the propellers.... :banghead:

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

like trying to play tennis with yourself....

That made my eyes water........

Absolutely glorious Tony.

I was hoping to get over for Telford this year but it's not going to happen so I'm going to try for next year. Hope to see this beastie then!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Did you go anywhere nice

Just the usual earthbound trip to visit daughter & co. in Hampshire, got to RAF Odiham's families day again & rather enjoyed standing in close proximity to 'Sally B' as she started up her 4 Pratt & Whitneys polluting half the county and taxied out past us almost close enough to touch. Brilliant! Her display was good too, including a first pass with a Chinook in close formation! 

Took grand daughter to Birdworld on Thursday which she really enjoyed and then in the evening had a hot air balloon skim just over the trees behind the house to make a landing on the village cricket pitch about a hundred yards away, so we went over to see it and I think she was most impressed - it must have looked enormous through a 4 year old's eyes - it looked pretty big to me! Good fun watching them collapse it, not sure what the groundsman thought of it landing on his pitch & the recovery Land Rover & trailer driving over the outfield though!

So, yes, it was a quite nice few days!

And talking of quite nice, that Chicken don't look half bad either!

Keith

• Like 6

What can I say that hasn't been said already? I'm rather speechless :gobsmacked:

Good idea about stopping here with the little bits and restart fresh on a new day :thumbsup: I find the antennae rigging especially demanding in terms of concentration (to the point of being nerve wracking, at times), so again, good choice :clap:

And yes, I'll have wine today :coolio: 😃

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, canberra kid said:

WOW Tony! just that WOW! 

Consiering what you do with Canberras John, praise to be savoured. :thumbsup2:

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Altogether looking so good Tony

Thanks Terry. :thumbsup2:

Seeing all that complexity now behind me makes me pine for something simple and graceful. Like a glider? :laugh:

22 hours ago, hendie said:

Wow! indeed with an added that's a richt stoatir!

Pint o' heavy and a Glenmorangie for that man. :thanks:

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I was hoping to get over for Telford this year but it's not going to happen so I'm going to try for next year. Hope to see this beastie then!

Well now Ian; doesn't that look like 2019 is shaping up to be a bumper event? I shall be moving heaven and earth to get there myself and it would be great to get to catch up with you for a chinwag. :nodding:

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

So, yes, it was a quite nice few days!

Sounds like you had a great time. Nice one Keith. :thumbsup2:

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good fun watching them collapse it, not sure what the groundsman thought of it landing on his pitch

Probably a bit stumped I'd say. 😜

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Tomorrow will do, so don't rush...

:rofl:

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

You should be very proud of this creation. 

Thanks Chris. :nodding:

It's an odd thing to say maybe but each time I finish a build there's a whole mixture of emotions involved, in varying amounts. I never really freel proud though as there's always so many things you come away with thinking you could do better next time around.

I'm possibly a bit of a pessimist....

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

It has been a pure joy to watch this build, learning different techniques along the way.

Most kind Simon. I've actually lost count of the things I learned this time around but certainly feel as if I know my tools a whole lot better now! 😄

20 hours ago, CedB said:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases :) 

(No prizes for guessing the poet...)

Ah, Endymion. Lovely. 😊

Yer man had the best description of a glass of wine ever as far as I'm concerned:

O for a beaker full of the warm South, 

Full of the true, the blushful Hippocrene, 

With beaded bubbles winking at the brim, 

And purple-stained mouth; 

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Cheers Ced!

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

More fantastic details Tony!

Not what I say when looking in the mirror with reading glasses on and notice that the crowsfeet are turning to ravens.... 😄

You're most kind Cookie. :thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

❤️❤️❤️❤️🙊

Bless you dear heart. :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

More coming??

Nearly there Benedikt! 😁

10 hours ago, CJP said:

A work of art

Oh stop it you! You'll have my head turned. 😀

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Good idea about stopping here with the little bits and restart fresh on a new day

I've really had to force myself to slowdown for this last bit Giorgio. Even wrote a list to make sure I didn't overlook anything:

29484959557_fb00cdb2ba_c.jpg

I find the antennae rigging especially demanding in terms of concentration (to the point of being nerve wracking, at times),

Exactement! (Though I had a better plan this time around that made the process go more smoothly than in the past.)

And yes, I'll have wine today

Met too! There's a Valpolicella 'breathing' in the kitchen as I write...

Roast chicken with all the trimmings cooked by our youngest as a late lunch. Yum!

47 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Spike Milligan?

Aaaah Spike.

The original superhero:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzfyWXUv6I86u_X363qdG

Tail and wing lights got brought back to visibility again, plus some nervy fun drilling out holes for the radio wires in the leading edge of the fins:

43513957115_c529fbd302_c.jpg

Taking a leaf out of hendie's book I now have 10-packs of every drill-bit size from 0.2-0.5mm. Which is great; except this needed to be 0.6mm. 🤦‍♂️

Quick run upstairs to snaffle back a pack of bits I'd given my youngest a while back had this sorted in the end.

The holes are bigger than the EZ-line as I now find it easier to glue the line into a brass tube 'plug' away from the aircraft so that it can be easily inserted afterward using CA:

44372824022_3a21314a00_c.jpg

It also gives you a nice long contact point for the EZ-line to bond to inside the tube when affixing it to things like fins. As added security I also dangle them into the bottle of Rocket Hot to make sure they get a good soak inside the tube.

A quick test fit to make sure:

44423033661_3244500426_c.jpg

Before sticking the rigging into place though I wanted to take care of the pitots up at the front:

30554047568_a7e4cb0be1_c.jpg

Gator's Grip again here for that task:

29484959597_3244500426_c.jpg

After giving those about 30 mins to dry, it was back over to the antennae rigging:

29484959657_e9d331a03e_c.jpg

A blob of Rocket Max in the hole and the plug slides in nice and snug.

After about 30 minutes of pacing myself, a cradle of lines emerged between the relevant points:

30554047718_95ff8355a2_c.jpg

I don't know how clear it comes across in the photos but I gave the black EZ-line a bushing with IJN Grey in order to calm it down visually. I find the black too intense and tends to make the aircraft 'leap forward' to the eye in contradiction to the overall visuals without some form of lightening.

30554047778_3244500426_c.jpg

Big finale for Bill. The props go on!

These too were put in place using Gator's Grip:

30554047868_f81defcded_c.jpg

29484959757_5847574a56_c.jpg

Bar sorting out the recovery poles and associated rigging at some point during the week, I've now officially run out of things to stick on!

Mad eh? After all this time.... :rofl:

The stand has turned-out fine - I forgot to phtograph it earlier but all it needs is some padding for the Iron Chicken to rooston without getting a sore tail and we're good to go.

I do hope you all have a lovely Sunday. I'm orf now in seach of food and drink.

Tony

• Like 19