Catching Pictures in the Air

WOW Tony !!

If I can add another wow to this great collection of Wow, Even the heavenly Kate Has said WOW !

Very good C-119, if I did'nt have seen this unfold on BM, I never would'nt have believed it !

I'll be glad to wow her in the flesh !! (I'm talking of the Iron Chicken of course)

Are you going to bring her in Telford ? 2019 ? I cannot attend this year !

Great saving on the PW too !

Sincerely. 

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again Wow. Needless to say. Looking great so far. Cheers

Ps.: Mrs  Bush is  a good point here and everywhere. (Great personality)

But my favourite of hers is by this cute lady :

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Totally off the chart. I’d almost forgotten about those little guys in there. Beautiful mate. And thanks for the tip about the gloss. I went back to rattle gloss a while back. All that faffing about clogging my airbrush had to stop, I did buy a cheap one for that though. 🤔 hmm maybe on the next build. 😀

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Being able to transform the Dremel workstand into a pillar-drill has proved completely dreamy for jobs like this...

I want one... do I need one? Gnnnghhhh.... :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Assuredly you do Mr B

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Of course you do! BTW, I have one... :coolio:

If it'll make me model like Tony, Bill and Giorgio it has to be had! Ordered :) 

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

All that work measuring and double/triple checking everything all those months back has paid off handsomely

I'm definitely a convert to the 'paranoiac measuring now - less blunt force later' method  Ian....

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Yeah, not bad ...

:rofl:

Even a 'not bad' from a craftsperson such as yourself would be treasured Giorgio!

17 hours ago, perdu said:

And real is what lights my fire, turns me on and never fails to satisfy

Hear! Hear! ⚗️

As somebody once said; 'Reality's all I've got to go on...'

16 hours ago, massimo said:

I assume you're going to have her in flying mode... ??

She will be perched as if so Massimo, with the fishing rods out the back  :nodding: - I'm just seeing if my plan for an unobtrusive but sturdy stand with work. If it does I shall reveal all: if it doesn't I shall reveal nothing! :laugh:

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

every update takes this to another level

Thanks Roger!

For some reason I hear the 'Are You Being Served?' theme tune to that phrase....:frantic:

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

WOW Tony !!

If I can add another wow to this great collection of Wow, Even the heavenly Kate Has said WOW !

Very good C-119, if I did'nt have seen this unfold on BM, I never would'nt have believed it !

I'll be glad to wow her in the flesh !! (I'm talking of the Iron Chicken of course)

Are you going to bring her in Telford ? 2019 ? I cannot attend this year !

Your are too kind mon ami, as always! :thanks:

I too shall be AWOL from Telford this year:. I've just just received my winter schedule from work and found that it will leave little enough time for modelling up until Christmas, let alone any possibility of travelling across to the UK for a long weekend. That and the cost of getting a second motor insured for our eldest means that I need to start saving for a 2019 visitation instead, so will delighted that you'll be going then as well!

If only they could move Telford to the Easter holidays....

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice save on the engine mate.

Thanks Simon. I could do without such high-wire acts at this late stage of things tbh! :laugh:

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

But my favourite of hers is by this cute lady :

Interesting to see La Bush filtered through a stripped-down rock arrangement and still retaining so much of the original flavouring.

Enjoyed that Benedikt - thanks! 😁

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

All that faffing about clogging my airbrush had to stop

What were you spraying Johnny. I found Pledge through a 0.3mm needle worked ok....

13 hours ago, CedB said:

do I need one?

giphy.gif

:winkgrin:

13 hours ago, hendie said:

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

You don't do pub quizzes by any chance hendie? :rofl:

Now say:

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Assuredly you do Mr B

I might even, tooooooo.......

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Of course you do! BTW, I have one... :coolio:

Ciao

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Ordered

I have just witnessed a remake of 'The Perfect Storm'. :rofl2:

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Ought I?

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/yes

😉

Small, but significant progress to add today.

Firstly the remaining fittings joining the BT to the fuselage got installed. Up above the hydraulic ram on each side near the ceiling is a triangular bracket that runs along a slot above the doors on each side of the BT as it is cranked upwards:

42554766100_5b0b7b2127_c.jpg

Bit of lingering dust around the entrance there that needs a blow with the airbrush later....

One more little bit of frippery I couldn't hold myself back from was trying to approximate those subtle distempered/sun-faded lappearances that paints such as the fluorescent orange gets after prolonged exposure to sun and sea air:

29426858567_4493b772da_c.jpg

I've limited myself to doing only the fins on this occassion as tbh as I just don't have the energy left at this stage to correct any mistakes if I muck up larger areas such as the main wings. At this scale I think that's about as extreme as plausibility will allow, and was produced by not-quite letting a very thin wash of oil-paints dry off before spraying a little Pledge over that and then in turn before that has fully dried, get some partially de-tacked adhesive tape and stick it on until the Plege has dried. Then peel the tape off roughly and Micromesh 6000 down the result to something visually acceptable.

Don't ask me where that brainstorm came from but I had a bee in my bonnet about trying it....

The inner and outer sets of flaps are now on:

42554765930_8246972310_c.jpg

My earlier obsessing over repeatedly dry-fitting these prior to painting mean that they slotted in nice and snug with the the layers of paint giving just a few microns extra grip so that I don't have to worry about taping them up whilst the epoxy is hardening. As to establishing some kind of parameter for angling the flaps correctly during the recovery phase, I relied on this contemporary background photograph of a recovery in progress:

42554765970_49fa49fdba_c.jpg

The brasswork for the actuators has worked-out well in giving a good strong mounting into the trailing edge of each wing:

29426858667_edcff4a1ca_c.jpg

There are still all the little hinges to fit on each side of the individual flaps but not until the Araldite has done its thing.

29426858737_91890bd172_c.jpg

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You don't do pub quizzes by any chance hendie? :rofl:

not any more but what with all that work you've put in, I determined that the only appropriate response to the whole extravaganza had to have at least one word with lots of syllables

the only ones I found that were longer all had to do with some unfortunate medical condition

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:
18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What were you spraying Johnny. I found Pledge through a 0.3mm needle worked ok....

Tamiya gloss. ( little pot ) thinned with Tamiya thinners. And sometimes the Vallejo metal varnish. Got me all clogged in the front hole. 😮

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

not bad at all

Thanks Bill.

I'm treading extra-carefully at each step now in order to try and avoid any more silly mistakes....

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Stunning. I'm stunned.

Those "subtle distempered/sun-faded appearances" - stunning. Great tip :D 

Most kind Ced!

Be careful if you do try anything like that - it's an inherently unpredictable process and I would hate to see it bring grief to somebody else's work.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

the only ones I found that were longer all had to do with some unfortunate medical condition

:laugh:

This build has gone on so long that It's probably not far off being classified as some kind of psychological syndrome... 👨‍⚕️

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Tamiya gloss. ( little pot ) thinned with Tamiya thinners. And sometimes the Vallejo metal varnish. Got me all clogged in the front hole. 😮

I've never tried either and on the strength of your clogged hole, unlikely to!

50 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s all looking rather splendid!

That's kind of you Adrian.  :thumbsup2:

Right.

I thought that the Iron Chicken needed something steampunk to nest on so I went out for a scratch around in the garden shed:

44319774752_b8b85c0645_c.jpg

An old T-bracket got cut down on the Dremel to the width of the fuselage, whilst that large brown object is a slab of clear acrylic I bought at the dawn of this build with vague intentions of it becoming a stand. With a 6mm hole drilled-out the copper upright can sit in like so:

42560493970_b8b85c0645_c.jpg

The various copper lengths were then sweat-soldered together to give enough altitude:

44319774782_dcc3ee9de0_c.jpg

Soldering the bracket to the pipe gave me a first outing on the new heat-sink/clamps I'd ordered from Japan:

43651713004_e5702d105a_c.jpg

They're handy for getting into tight corners and not having so much oomph as the haemostats are less likely to crush delicate tubing. For extra strength I added cruciform buttressing as well:

42560493750_783428e628_c.jpg

After smoothing all that baroque solder out with a flat tip in the iron, we had a roost:

43651713314_fa6e7931f4_c.jpg

'But-' you're wondering, '-does it work?'

I know my audience - you want a shot don't you? 😄

42560493840_b7a384b16a_c.jpg

Pelican 9 is airborne! :yahoo:

44319774542_5273111d06_c.jpg

I'll get some epoxy on that pipe/base at the bottom and that's another job done, apart from finding a bit of felt or similar to cover the metal baseplate so that it doesn't besmirch the metalwork.

Good evening mes braves.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17