Catching Pictures in the Air

I dot filtered my Seaking (not metallic, but another example of a large expanse of single colour).  I think it is the best way of introducing subtle variations of colour & shade; I’m a complete convert.

That looks superb.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You're surprising me with every single progress on this build!!!

Very good technique to give life to the Dayglo areas! Should be the same used by Ex-FAAWAFU on his Sea King and I have to say it works very well on both these so different colours 

I may try it on my Buccaneer....

Well done!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful stuff Tony.

It will look even better when we get that Vogon snot off the model. I shall have word with the chief Vogon and see if he can find out who did it.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

On 8/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, perdu said:

Wow

On 8/27/2018 at 1:41 PM, Terry1954 said:

Yes wow

Bill & Terry you are too kind.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, perdu said:

I love how that works

It is kinda magic, but a leap of faith nonetheless! :rofl:

At least if you've sealed the surfaces thoroughly you can rub it off and start again if you don't like it. ♻️

On 8/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, Spookytooth said:

An excellent demo of how the technique works.

I've seen videos where some people say you should *only* use primary red, green and blue colours Simon - and although I think I understand where they are coming from regarding filtering the underlying colour in a 'purist' fashion - it is of course cant and falsehood to insist on a  single path to heaven....

On 8/27/2018 at 3:11 PM, perdu said:

Flaps

Oildot the flaps too

None of the metal surfaces have been oil-dotted so far Bill: any visual variations simply come from initially tweaking amounts and mixes of Alclad. For the ailerons and flaps I 'streakied' them with just a little more contrast than the main fuselge and wing areas but not too much as to make them out of keeping with overall appearances:

42516160690_cda4c030da_z.jpg

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That's gorgeous, and the effect on the ailerons is not too bad. A little "dumbing down" and you'll have the perfect look of control surfaces streaked with faint traces of oil/hydraulic fluid as is commonly seen. 

Thanks Ian. :thumbsup2:

That contrast on the ailerons that you see here:

44323506071_e349d8d396_c.jpg

...is primarily present due to strongly-oblique lighting angles. From other angles:

44323506031_86b962be54_c.jpg

...it's barely there.

That's something nice I've discovered recently about metal lacquers and anisotropy and the manner in which they scatter light.

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks for posting it!

My pleasure Giorgio. If it encourages others to give it the full Uffizi treatment then so much the better!

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

something I've yet to try, but following your walkthrough, I'm itching to indulge.

Go for it Tomo! :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Wow!

Cheers Mr. B!

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I dot filtered my Seaking

And it was one of your before/after shots of the surface of it that really made me want to try it Crisp. So this is your fault.

Though in terms of approach yours was a rather more restrained Whistler Nocturne compared to my Fauvist Fistfight...

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks like a Vogon sneezed on your model!

:rofl2:

Vogon filtering: for when your model is unacceptably pleasant to the eye.

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

STUNNING RESULT TONY

Steady with that Caps Lock Roger - it's only Tuesday! :winkgrin:

20 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That is a very convincing finish on a superbly built model.

Well done!

Most kind Trevor - thanking you. :thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, massimo said:

I may try it on my Buccaneer....

And your turn to surprise us Massimo! 🖌️🖌️🖌️🖌️🖌️🖌️🖌️

I reckon that would look just great!

17 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful stuff Tony.

You're a gem Cookie - thanks mate.

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It will look even better when we get that Vogon snot off the model. I shall have word with the chief Vogon and see if he can find out who did it.

Jandrox the Crepostulant has confessed in full to the West Midlands Serious Slime Squad, whilst his lawyer has asked for three other expectorations to be taken into account.

We surely need @Fritag to talk us through the finer legal aspects of the case... 👨‍⚖️

Screw this-

44323505951_2b6e68609f_c.jpg

- I thought.

With things going so swimmingly I decided to bollix-up the drilling-out of the engine in order to fit a replacement mounting stub for the propeller. The drill bit snapped and in the process of trying to extract the remains to allow drilling to continue, I pushed the engine back in out of its mounting.  #whoputthepratinprattandwhitney

The screw was an inspired/doomed piece of lateral thinking with the aim of pulling the engine back into position.

Dear reader: it didn't work. You'll not be surprised to learn.

There's a notch in the engine rear that has to match up with a peg inside the cowling but the residual glue proved too difficult to allow it to be pulled into position from the front.

Experience has now taught me to go and sleep for the night so that Morpheus can suggest what to do in the morning.

FFwd to this morning first thing and:

44323505991_2cbefb2dc0_c.jpg

Success!

Using  a piece of rod epoxied in the night before and an old airbrush needle inserted in from the rear through a hole I'd drilled to fit metal exhausts, I manged to lever the engine into place.

:phew:

As there were some surface details I wanted to slightly emphasize, the Payne's Grey had come out last night as well and some light pin washes deployed:

44323505821_c0d1387249_c.jpg

I'm really pleased with the way that the various foil details produced on the Silhouette cutter have now come into their own in the final result.

Wing fairing:

44275427612_3e7bea5c68_c.jpg

Wing intakes:

44323505901_ded1f26102_c.jpg

Rear access panels:

44323505921_608d59001e_c.jpg

Boom plate:

42515824490_b0a820a64d_c.jpg

Having buffed those back to this condition at breakfast, a precautionary layer of Pledge was misted over the entire aircraft in order to make those effects permanent now, before sticking the rudders on to the fins:

44275427762_069b974acb_c.jpg

So consumed with paint the last few weeks that I was surprised at peeling the mask off of the rear to recall how much time had gone into that interior!

The olive green around the rear facing edges needs retouching and then I reckon it's time to go hunting all the pieces that attach the BT.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Great recovery with the engine, Tony! :clap:  It would have been a real shame, after all the work you put in this project, to suffer such a tremendous drawback! :phew: 

I agree the foil detail is really paying off, smart move! :worthy: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Just caught up and WOW from me too - I despaired when I saw those blobs of paint on the fin but NO! The usual Baronial magic prevailed...

Beautiful finish Tony and good recovery on the engine :) 

• Thanks 1

And it's even more WOW from me.  Great work Tony.  The difference in the tone of the red/orange is amazing yet ever so subtle, it adds that extra layer of realism to the very realistic model you have created in the first place.  Well done fella. 

Amazing 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

🤣

Amazing details Tony, and so many techniques combining for a truly stunning result.

In my naivete I hadn't even considered half these techniques would even be necessary when commencing to build this. Or that  so much equipment would be purchased along the way.... :banghead:

4 hours ago, giemme said:

It would have been a real shame, after all the work you put in this project, to suffer such a tremendous drawback!

I had visions of having to pry the cowling off with a screwdriver at one point. Not pleasant.

4 hours ago, giemme said:

agree the foil detail is really paying off, smart move!

That will I think become a regular technique when needing to generate the likes of raised panels or fairings Giorgio. It occurred to me earlier it might be a good way of cutting your own seatbelts and harnesses too?

3 hours ago, CedB said:

! The usual Baronial magic prevailed...

With the Vegas residency on hold it looks like I'll be here a while...

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Amazing how often sleeping on a problem transforms matters.  Great save on that donk!

:nodding: One of the 'things I never thought would happen' is that of developing patience and the ability to let things go when necessary in order to come back to them fresh.

Sleep is - as you say Crisp - the great transformer of fortune.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

No apologies for posting this, even if it's already been posted.

Thanks Tomo. I have never knowingly refused a bush.

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

And it's even more WOW from me.  Great work Tony.  The difference in the tone of the red/orange is amazing yet ever so subtle, it adds that extra layer of realism to the very realistic model you have created in the first place.  Well done fella. 

Amazing 

All the best 

Chris 

Most kind Chris, though I must say that filtering is such a wonderfully adaptive and yielding process that it almost seems too good to be true!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tony, for someone that creates such beautifully delicate work, you aren't half fippin' clumsy...and I thought I was bad!!! However another great save to ensure the Chicken stays looking flawless!

And the blessed Kate, the thread that just keeps on giving! :)

Keith

• Haha 1

wowee.  I turn my back for a few days and there's postings galore, carnage, pigment, and extra terrestrial snot flying everywhere. 

What can I say, okay, write that hasn't already been typed and clicked and sucked up into the electronic ether? 

ehrrrrrr .. A veritable a kaleidoscope of colors! . and that's about as much as I can muster...

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 2

Ok then if this bloody dot thing goes crackers bonkers all over my big wings I’m blaming you.🤣

That technique looks spot on( pun intended), just what I need on my black underside to add some sweet variation.  She’s looking fab mate. Btw, when you top coat again how do you mask your glass bits? 

Johnny.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Tony, for someone that creates such beautifully delicate work, you aren't half fippin' clumsy

:rofl:

Hence my strict: 'No Bikes!' rule at the bench Keith:

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, hendie said:

carnage, pigment, and extra terrestrial snot

So, basically just yer average week on Britmodeller then....? :laugh:

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Btw, when you top coat again how do you mask your glass bits

Didn't bother tbh Johnny.

Since taking the back-end off the Iwata I find it's controllable enough to get right up close with the pressure down and do around glazing where necessary. There were some bits like around the portholes that didn't require any sealing as I'd not gone near them with the Payne's Grey...

Good luck doing your Lancaster nethers geezer! :thumbsup:

I started off the most recent session by cutting down and drilling-out some 2mm brass tubing to make the exhausts:

30476470468_56374fc051_c.jpg

The tube was one of the smaller diamters from the K&S bag o' bits I scored a while back, but the walls of the tubing are thicker than Albion Alloys stuff, hence the drill. Being able to transform the Dremel workstand into a pillar-drill has proved completely dreamy for jobs like this I would have found daunting before. Those have been primed now and will get a whiff of 'Exhaust manifold' at a later point.

Remember these bits?

44342997661_5bc81c6002_c.jpg

Yes, they've been sitting patiently up on the shelf for several months now so I figured that as the BT is kind of semi-protected by the booms on either side, that it made more sense to get that on first before attaching things like flaps and antennae.

As you can see in this dry-fit shot, I'm intending to epoxy the hydraulic actuator (top bits) and guides (lower bits) in first, and then when they've cured, to glue in the large triangular hinge-things that sit above the actuators:

44342997281_ec704c2e41_c.jpg

The key factor is: 'Does the BT sit on those ok?':

44294834982_982ab2c4e7_c.jpg

With some not-unexpected jiggling to get it to settle - yes!

A bit wonky at first:

30476470598_90b9eb3478_c.jpg

But after a bend here and a twist there, the Iron Chicken's tail is squared-off:

30476470888_0668f451a2_c.jpg

The next bit I'd had everything crossed for as this is actually the first test of whether there is enough clearance for those recovery poles to be deployed on either side:

30476470958_52f59f223f_c.jpg

:phew: 

Much to-ing and fro-ing between the bench and reference pics on the laptop screen to make sure that the various angles look plausible enough.

If that hadn't worked there would have been language not heard in these Isles since Alcock & Brown suddenly realized that Clifden airport was a bit more primitive than they'd anticipated.

With epoxy applied to the acuators and guides, I gently shimmied the BT into what will now be its permanent station in life:

30476471148_94848ec832_c.jpg

:yahoo:

At times I must confess I never thought to see that!

A quick spin around the aspects then to check alignments:

44294835152_652e158ee8_c.jpg

I wouldn't pretend to pass this off as perfect but it represents the extent of my working-tolerances at this point in time:

44342997521_171b1e4caf_c.jpg

30476471228_fc3cca346c_c.jpg

After satisfying myself that there wasn't any excess glue dribbling out like Alien drool over the metalwork anywhere, I left the IC with its rump propped up on a couple of packaging pellets to make sure it doesn't slump whilst the epoxy is hardening:

30476471268_f5518b8496_c.jpg

Touch that now I shall not for twenty-four of your Earth hours.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21

Wow!

All that work measuring and double/triple checking everything all those months back has paid off handsomely. On the home stretch now! 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, not bad ...

Kidding, this is ridiculously good! :worthy: :clap: :clap:Can't wait to see her hanging on her magnets :Tasty: (Can one say that without being banned? :rofl:)

Ciao 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I kinda like thees machine senor

She's amazing

Better still Tony she's looking proper real..

And real is what lights my fire, turns me on and never fails to satisfy

Wonderful work, simply wonderful

👍

🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1