Catching Pictures in the Air

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

adeb26702f293ced1aa1e4b0efdd119b.jpg

There is no truth in the rumour that this was the result of a visit from the changing threads team!

Good save on the model though, you must have felt how I did when I dropped the SH-34 a week before Telford.

Innocent of Mars 👽

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There is no truth in the rumour that this was the result of a visit from the changing threads team!

Good save on the model though, you must have felt how I did when I dropped the SH-34 a week before Telford.

Innocent of Mars 👽

That was surely an awful feeling my Dear tentacled one...

I've got a similar experience with a 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom almost finished.

He skidded from the box as I started to step down the staircase and crashed on almost every steps !!!

Finishing its Journey crashing on the soil.😩😩

I keep that kit to remind me how stupid I can be … Sometimes… Well almost….

So, respect to you both !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

A nice car, see her today in working with the dog !

WP_20180822_12_40_55_Pro

The restoration job is really a very good one !!

A boost for our Dear Baron, since he fired my nurse !!!

Have a great modelling time !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4

Thanks Tony for the explanation on dot filtering. A fellow Italian modeller I met at a show once told me he uses a similar method, by applying oils with a sponge.

Both intriguing techniques ...

Great save on the thinner damage, that would have seriously gotten to my nerves... :badmood:

And she looks wonderful with all glazes unmasked 👏

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, Martian Hale said:

That man is wearing a striped top in a room full of dots: what was he thinking?

On 8/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, Martian Hale said:

Oh gosh Martian I'd forgotten that near-calamity! :sad:

On 8/21/2018 at 8:31 PM, massimo said:

After the little touches here and there to the paint work, she's absolutely gorgeous!!!

All the efforts 've been worth it!

Mille grazie mio amico!

On 8/21/2018 at 9:38 PM, Terry1954 said:

Looking the business indeed.

I seem determined to damage it at present Terry! Spent this evening respraying where I'd got blobs of epoxy from one of the ailerons on a roundel...

On 8/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, corsaircorp said:

Finishing its Journey crashing on the soil.

Gives me the heebijeebies just thinking about it CC...

BEAUTIFUL MG!

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks Tony for the explanation on dot filtering. A fellow Italian modeller I met at a show once told me he uses a similar method, by applying oils with a sponge.

Both ways seem a promising source of variation Giorgio.

I did some experimenting on the metals I'd sprayed on the mule previously and have decided to only try a little filtering on the colour sections of then Iron Chicken. It's an obvious point but the bare metal surfaces on real aircraft show colour differences due to what they reflect of their surroundings (except obviously for burnt metal exhausts and the like) so it is a pointless exercise to try and paint a simulated reflection map over the surface using oils.

Might be an interesting experiment to photograph her when finished next to the laptop screen with a bright aerial/ocean photograph casting a range of colours to see what the metal surfaces reflect - a bit like the projection box Alfonso Cuaron used in shooting the live action scenes for Gravity:

Gravity_1200_Film06.jpg

I should have thought that through with greater clarity before now but sometimes you have to live with the obvious right in front of you for a bit before clocking it.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Phew I am glad you managed to save the model Tony.  It looks absolutely amazing and what a relief all the glazing stayed in place too.  Great work.  

Thanks Chris - I must confess that leaving masking on for any length of time fills me with trepidation.

I should have a few hours free tomorrow afternoon so hope to get a little more done, Might be time to play with some oils... 

Anyone know how to delete a box like the one below when you're using a tablet to write? I can't for the life of me work out how to delete this..

On 8/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, corsaircorp said:

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Those boxes fill me with despair too but I have managed to shift 'em sometimes by setting the cursor point just after it and deleting from there

Not very often though, how about accessing the site from a PC to do remedial stuff?

Works for me

Now, with inconsequential stuff outadaway the chicken

Absolutely divine work

I saw someone else suggest using fine lines of Tamiya Smoke to detail the odd looking off-shining bits of the metal

Might be worth a play on the mulecaster on those lines

Seeing it though, is putting me off having a bash at some of my Lightning's

Scary hard times ahead for me...

Not, however for you, it looks brilliant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Not, however for you, it looks brilliant

I agree it looks brilliant. Scary times approach for me also Bill, assuming you mean metallic surfaces..... I am approaching the Alclad phase at some point in the near future for both the Sabre and indeed the Sedbergh ............. 😨. In the meantime I have started a boat in the watery section, no visible metallics on that!

Go for those Lightnings!

Terry

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Weren't they wood? At least the ancient thing I used to 'fly' always seemed to give me splinters....!! :)

Keith

Wood and fabric largely. Like an aerodynamic art deco era, objet d'art I suppose ... 😉

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I thought they were, just wondered why yours needs Alclading Terry?

K

Bill asked the same question in another thread. I plan to do the T21 as per my T31 ........

20180227_171346

That had matt mid grey primer, Alclad Dull Alluminium and finished off with almost matt varnish. Simulates doped fabric perfectly.

The moral of the story is that Alclad need not be just for bright shiny metal! Either that, or I am mad ............ 😱

Sincere apologies to @TheBaron for a little thread drift here!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks Keith, really appreciate that. I'm sure Tony wont mind, and I certainly don't!

If you are interested in seeing the T21 build, there is a WIP thread here...

There is also an RFI for the T31 somewhere on here. 

Terry

• Like 2

Back from Belfast (Korean dinner Saturday night followed by humungous sausage and black pudding bap down St. George's  Market to recover on the Sunday morning) and now Monday lunchtime, so to take my mind of Monday altogether a luncheon update.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, perdu said:

Those boxes fill me with despair too but I have managed to shift 'em sometimes by setting the cursor point just after it and deleting from there

Not very often though, how about accessing the site from a PC to do remedial stuff?

That does indeed seem to be the only way I can find too Bill. :nodding:

Blasted tech gazillionaires using us to crash-test their products...

I saw someone else suggest using fine lines of Tamiya Smoke to detail the odd looking off-shining bits of the metal

Thanks Bill; I'd seen that approach used on a number of metal builds around the infosphere but after a brief test convinced me that I'd be putting tones in where they don't permanently exist on reflective surfaces. There is a  uniformity to the metals on these aircraft:  I've had the first ten seconds or so of this clip playing as a loop and as  colour/tone differences on the metal surfaces are predominantly due to lighting and environment:

Send 'em to Ced and he'll metal 'em with paste for you! :winkgrin:

On 8/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Terry1954 said:

Scary times approach for me also Bill, assuming you mean metallic surfaces

Be stout of heart men. :viking:

If a lunk like me can stumble towards something metal-acceptable then there's no doubting you guys can. Plus Alclad is far more forgiving and workable than many give it credit for. Too many Youtorials seem to assume every aircraft looks like:

a) a chrome bumper

or:

b) some kind of complicated metal harlequin.

Some do of course. But not all do, either at all, or all the time, or under operational conditions...

On 8/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Terry1954 said:

I have started a boat in the watery section, no visible metallics on that!

I need to get over for a shufti!

On 8/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, Terry1954 said:

Sincere apologies to @TheBaron for a little thread drift here!

Drift away dear boy. The more directions a thread goes, the more interesting it is. :thumbsup:

On 8/25/2018 at 1:48 PM, keefr22 said:

I hope Tony won't mind if I just say that's lovely Terry!

On 8/25/2018 at 2:11 PM, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Keith, really appreciate that. I'm sure Tony wont mind, and I certainly don't!

I hope Keith won't mind me not minding and glad that you don't mind that he said that was lovely and I think the same thing that he said too.... ☺️

Alright pointillistas, I've got a picture deluge coming up as I carried out the dot filtering and promised a couple of people to show how it went. Before that though, after leaving a succession of notes for myself around the studio, I got round to spraying the red propeller warning band around the fuselage:

43581382254_2ab3d25bbc_c.jpg

That was - hopefully - the last time I need to touch the airbrush on this build.

Once that had dried, I decided to apply a precautionary layer of Pledge over everything as:

a) I couldn't remember where any unsealed Alclad areas might now be lurking after various re-sprayed repairs, and:

b) I wanted to avoid the oil paint 'biting' too readily into the acrylic surface before it had been spread around sufficiently. (I learned the perils of that from experimenting on the mule between sealed and unsealed surfaces):

43581382504_c984f5c9ba_c.jpg

The oils I used were a mixture of good quality W&N plus some cheap Lidl oils I'd grabbed some time back:

44250770832_80e466c561_c.jpg

As from the results here I'm certainly going to use dot filtering again in the future I'm certainly going to buy a lot more of the W&N product. From L-R the colour are a sort of Alizarin Crimson, Orange, Naples Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre. 

I picked a not-too-obvious place (under the schnozz) for the first application in case it turned out naff:

44250770952_bab516c43e_c.jpg

So nervous on the first use of this technique that I forgot to take any 'after' shots. Moving over to the wings however I remembered too:

43581382544_e96161a086_c.jpg

Regarding spacing, weight of dot &etc., it's pretty soon apparent that there's a lot of latitude to this technique:

43581382624_ed3fe8171d_c.jpg

Also how much white spirit on the brush influences colour variation:

44250771012_8cf1f1049d_c.jpg

Two things also that I learned were that this technique doesn't always reproduce very well in still photographs - it strikes me as being a wonderfully dynamic - but subtle -  effect in that it responds to the changing play of light. In the above shot it doesn't look like a whole lot has changed in general on that panel but in the flesh there is a changing 'bloom' to the surface that is really attractive. With metal surfaces you do end up with brush strokes and pigment left visible:

43581382634_741bdd02c7_c.jpg

but these are easily cleaned up with cotton buds at the end. IMO don't stop and try to clean these things up as you go along: concentrate on getting a consistency between surfaces without losing focus and come back at the end for a cleaning pass.

Similarly you can see that there's no avoiding paint going over the roundels:

44250771372_ddc176e441_c.jpg

44250771532_a7d56c9580_c.jpg

This shot below shows where I put too much on in places:

43581382864_1f286bc1d5_c.jpg

You do get a  bit carried-away and I had to keep reminding myself that subtlety can be quite an unnerving thing to try and achieve because you're worried that people mightn't actually notice it!

I actually ditched traditional paintbrushes and solely used make-up ones, reasoning that these are primarily for achieving smooth blends and fades.

29362825987_9f0db5551c_c.jpg

Having tried both I found these better at avoiding linearity from brush bristles.

Remembering Giorgio talking about his friend experimenting with sponges and the like I dropped a little paint onto a small puddle of white spirit to see how it might spread:

44250771602_a81e98f940_c.jpg

It looked interesting but not in this context, so filed away for future use

Moving to the curved tail regions:

43581383004_e2aa275f08_c.jpg

You can see the alternating direction of the brush on the first pass:

44250771732_5183edcb98_c.jpg

The surface starting to 'settle in' now:

44250771702_e27bdd7ba0_c.jpg

All told this session lasted just over an hour and as a first outing with dot filtering, I know I'll be returning to it readily in future:

44250771832_cc97645102_c.jpg

As a technique it manages to combined tactility and sensitivity in a way that I really like:

43581383334_7189970afe_c.jpg

There's still acouple of places I need to go back to and buff the oil paint away fro mthe surrounding metal:

29362826167_ee8cd173a5_c.jpg

- but otherwise that is the dot filtering done to my satisfaction:

44250772182_27d3347859_c.jpg

Once that's dried I'll seal that to stop it getting rubbed away again.

Hope it helped seeing that.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Wow

Very wow

I love how that works

Wow

📣📣📣📣📣📣📣📣📣

Yup

Wow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It might not be a bad thing if we remind you

Flaps

Oildot the flaps too

The silvern pieces that have had it look amazing, I'd hate for the fully engineered flaps to miss out

;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's gorgeous, and the effect on the ailerons is not too bad. A little "dumbing down" and you'll have the perfect look of control surfaces streaked with faint traces of oil/hydraulic fluid as is commonly seen. 

Very nice!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Stunning Tony, absolutely stunning mate.

An excellent demo of how the technique works.

Simon.

Agreed 100%! :worthy::clap: 

Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Superb stuff Tony. I've been away for awhile and still catching up on this (feels like I've been on a long interstellar journey and what feels like a few months passing for me, has been centuries for this build). Excellent tutorial on the filtering, something I've yet to try, but following your walkthrough, I'm itching to indulge.Really hope you can bring this along to Telford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1