Catching Pictures in the Air

On 7/8/2018 at 4:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

It should be possible to remove the radiator section, box in the hole in the wing, add detail and the replace the section.

I completely overlooked the fact that I tell you really Italeri donated a part to go in there:

42400098695_b4bd850b42_c.jpg

The reality is a little more complex (as you might have surmised) with deep ducting that splits inside the wing into two directions for carburettor filters and de-icing vents and all sorts of malarkey. Part d43 up there is intended I think to be some kind of baffle or screen which although barely discernible in one or two reference photos it isn't shown in the parts manual and so I'm going to leave off here and concentrate on building ducting because ducting...

On 7/8/2018 at 4:51 PM, keefr22 said:

Preferably in a Tiger Moth!

There was one there I believe Keith but I recall reading somewhere that there was a fatal crash involving it. :sad:

Whilst the lads were up I got chatting to another fellow airfieldee who was waiting for a powered glider to come and pick him up for a swoop over Purbeck; he told me the previous week he'd been for a flight in the oldest flying Tiger Moth -  based somewhere over in Kent, iirc.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:51 PM, keefr22 said:

I had a pair of powder blue brushed denim ones just like that first pair!

Were they not a bit of a menace with the rudder pedals Keith? :whistle:

On 7/8/2018 at 5:10 PM, Hamden said:

Nice to see you back on this project glad you had a good time in Dorset 

Thanks on both counts Roger! :thumbsup2:

On 7/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Terry1954 said:

we are fortunate to live down in Purbeck.

Any more of this enviable stuff and I'll be turning as permanently-green as a Martian modeller Terry....

Regularly see C-130's dropping marines into the water!

Practicing to invade Love Island no doubt - quite the thing with the RAF these days I believe:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5931987/RAF-crews-break-bombing-targets-Syria-watch-Love-Island.html

I'm liking the use of epoxy as filler and glue!

On 7/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, giemme said:

Very effective filling job, 

Thanks Terry & Giorgio: saves time and eminently carvable/sandable when cured...

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

The Anson!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever have one of those days when you change your mind fifteen times an hour about what you're going to build next? :rofl: 

Actually Benedikt it has to be the Anson next 'cos the boxing of it I've got is the same one I built as a lad in Somerset in about 1975 and it fills me with nostalgia just seeing that pert little nose and Thomas the Tank Engine nacelles on each wing. I've also managed to source maintenance manual for this aircraft, which has become one of my touchstones for commencing a build now.

I don't suppose anyone knows theserial number of the Y-Service Anson that successfully detected the Knickebein beams?

22 hours ago, hendie said:

There's nothing for it but for you now to rise to the next level on the modeling ladder, and build a... helicopter

As you say though hendie, the rotary world cannot be denied forever and as I'm getting FAA withdrawl symptoms I've a nice little Airways vacform Westland Dragonfly that might provide some decent sport post-Anson. :smile:

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Dorset, I reckon God will go there to retire

We used to stay in a little place just out of Bridport.

Bridport'd do me Bill.

Forever 'n ever...

22 hours ago, perdu said:

I'd hate to see you chopping the wings apart for a whim

None to keen on the prospect myself but after consulting the parts manual it seemed possible to build the ducting without surgery - thin plasticard curved and glued for the sides of the intakes:

42400098825_5f8f673d77_c.jpg

Flat inserts added top and bottom to complete the boxing-in:

29434657448_bce97cb360_c.jpg

You can probably just make out a bit of Milluputtery on the outboard intake in the photo above? When I was gluing the top of the ducting inside on that part last night, the TET seemed to react quite vigorously with the leading edge of the wing in that region, leaving it all a bit:

I resorted to cutting out said doughy bit and pressing some Welshpaste on, carving the required profile back-in this afternoon.

As another delaying tactic to put off building the flap actuators (I know, I know....) I reprised the foil/Silhouette method for the outer wing fairings. That metal make-up tool you see below is a superb yoke for smoothing Washi tape into corners and around changing curves:

29434657468_fb27695c50_c.jpg

Marked out in three-dimensions:

42400098965_b8d86cef89_c.jpg

A Silhouette test-cut applied:

29434657538_c8e9ed3729_c.jpg

Due to the interacting curves and corners involved his is a really necessary stage to make sure that you've caught the essential outline correctly - I never get it right the first time so this test-fit lets you iron out any discrepancies before committing to more expensive adhesive foil:

29434657578_147f56afd4_c.jpg

Not every aircraft needs this of course: 

42400099145_58baa4e4e7_c.jpg

I reckon with the Alclad Primer & Microfiller being applied later, that these should blend in very nicely to enhance the overall visual interest of the aircraft:

29434657648_dc34baba49_c.jpg

These sets took a lot longer to do than the inboard ones did previously, for a rather idiosyncratic reason that took me a while to work out. Despite the blade of the Silhouette cutter being freshly-cleaned it had a tendency to rip some of the corners when cutting out those long strips for the fairings - an annoying occurrence that I eventually narrowed down to the fact that the current humidity and heat were making the adhesive of the foil much more tacky and causing it to foul the blade. As soon as I touched the adhesive with a fingertip, fine strands of it would stick to it in a way it hadn't previously when cutting a few weeks back in cooler conditions. Heat affecting adhesive properties - not always an issue until you go to cut complex shapes from it... 🔪 :headbang:

Move over Monty Don, Stevie Wonder's doing the garden now...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Were they not a menace a bit of with the rudder pedals Keith?

Combined with the 4 inch platform boots - a control nightmare Tony.... :rofl2:

Neat progress on the Chicken & a masterful save on the ducting! Must say though I'd be a tad surprised if they left gaping maws like that in the leading edge unprotected by a grille of somesuch - surely they'd be concerned about swallowing seagulls in flight or bald eagles nesting in them on the ground? Maybe they left the grilles off the manual diagrams in the interests of clarity?

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Combined with the 4 inch platform boots - a control nightmare Tony

And as for those lace cuffs...dahling if you catch them in the flap lever just one more time I shall thcream and thcream and thcream...

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Maybe they left the grilles off the manual diagrams in the interests of clarity?

Reckon that's the reason Keith. :nod: There's doubtless a supplementary volume for the Iron Chicken somewhere with all those bits about protective covers and jacking points etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In amongst all the frivolity it’s nice to see you back on the case :)

I did two and a bit years down in Weymouth working at AWRE in Portland in the 80s and it was a lively and lovely place (and still is). It was standing room only on the 4pm Friday train back to London though. One of the summers all the pubs boycotted Guinness  because there was a Guiness advert filmed in Weymouth but the voiceover claimed it was Skegness!

The ad is here if you are interested. It’s one minute in and the iPhone isn’t letting me get a link with an offset, so you will have to scrub past adverts for loo cleaners and Jimmy Saville.

Whoops! Sorry for thread drift but I have been misled by my peers yerhonour...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That metal make-up tool you see below is a superb yoke for smoothing Washi tape into corners and around changing curves

Aha! Another use for the metal-things-with-the-knob-on-the-end... marvellous!

Nice progress Tony :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Must get around and try cutting self adhesive foil with my cutter... 

Just don't do it on very hot days Giorgio or you'll end up with a sticky tip!

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

did two and a bit years down in Weymouth working at AWRE in Portland in the 80s and it was a lively and lovely place (and still is). It was standing room only on the 4pm Friday train back to London though. One of the summers all the pubs boycotted Guinness  because there was a Guiness advert filmed in Weymouth but the voiceover claimed it was Skegness!

'Weymouth - the Skegness of the South' :laugh:

Great adverts Adrian: reminds me that I'm nearly out of Harpic...

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Whoops! Sorry for thread drift but I have been misled by my peers yerhonour.

My threads are just one big long drift, so you blend in perfectly. :winkgrin:

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hmmm, there might be a bad taste joke in there somewhere

Hand me that wrench, I think I can get at it from this side...

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Aha! Another use for the metal-things-with-the-knob-on-the-end..

I would dearly love to know what it's called Ced so that I can buy other versions! 

Any make-up fans out there on the forum able to help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Don't you have a fridge guys?*

That Washi tape, I found a roll of tape in a book I received in the post

That tape "Green it were!", has worked wonders on my Gannet to replace the stiffeners that were damaged when I had to sand off the bubbled varnish

If that is Washi I highly commend it, brilliant stuff

Kinda Tamiyatape Plus

Reminds me, I need to get the Gannet in a cooler to see if I can get new paint on it

Hot innit...

* place the metalfoil in for a chillin' before you try to cut it, simples...  

:mental:

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Just don't do it on very hot days Giorgio or you'll end up with a sticky tip!

The cutter is the one I have at work, there's air conditioning in the office :wink:

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

* place the metalfoil in for a chillin' before you try to cut it, simples...  

Also a good idea ... :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't you have a fridge guys?*

Oh yes. :banghead:

Need to go and put my head in it first.

Then the tape.

In that order...

:laugh:

3 hours ago, perdu said:

That tape "Green it were!", has worked wonders on my Gannet to replace the stiffeners that were damaged when I had to sand off the bubbled varnish

If that is Washi I highly commend it, brilliant stuff

Kinda Tamiyatape Plus

Delighted it's turned out useful Bill. :thumbsup2:

Ced kindly put me onto it some time ago, if memory serves (let me pull my head out of the salad shelf for a moment) after Giorgio or Massimo put him onto it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DKI9816/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reasonably priced too!

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Hot innit...

:nodding: A tad moistening to one's brow it could be admitted!

Leaving the hammock out in the garden fulltime now - handy for those 'I'm just popping outside to do something important' snoozes in the cool of the evening. :sleep_1:

Retribution for such idleness is currently being woken up at 5am though by young jackdaws sliding down the roof tiles above the bedroom - since we stopped them getting at the chickens' food they've started doing Harrier ski-jump impressions to get airborne...

2 hours ago, giemme said:

The cutter is the one I have at work, there's air conditioning in the office

How I picture you arriving at work Giorgio:

giphy.gif

Cooled cutter.

I ask you...

:winkgrin:

• Haha 6

Well that was an entertaining catch-up!

I think the reason you keep seeing the RAF dropping Marines in the sea is that they keep swimming back! 

I'm really starting to miss my bench time now. I have been advised that the container with my motley collection of stuff loosely referred to as furniture (plus my models!) is expected in Dubai on 27th, so I'd better find an apartment pdq! I brought the wheels of the Merc I started with me, along with sundry tools, so I could re-spoke them while in the hotel, but when I tried to do some work I realised I'd forgotten my magnifier. Oh the joys of getting older!

Anyway, I digress, great work, and looking forward to more. I have to satisfy the modeling urge somehow!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Great work on the the rad`s good sir, no major surgery needed.

The "Foil" re enforcing tape looks good also.

Under a coat of primer/filler should give the wanted effect.

Warm enough for you ?

Keep cool.

Simon. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Well that was an entertaining catch-up!

Thanks Ian. Good to hear you're getting settled in and that the necessities of life will soon be with you.

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'd better find an apartment pdq!

Which window will you be behind I wonder? 😀

furnished-apartment-dubai-marina.jpg

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the the rad`s good sir, no major surgery needed.

The "Foil" re enforcing tape looks good also.

Under a coat of primer/filler should give the wanted effect.

Ta Simon. I'd best stop now lest the whole thing become engulfed in the silvery stuff and become a foil-wrapped chicken....

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Warm enough for you ?

Blimmin' 'ot.

Much more of this and I might become contented with life.... :happy:

I got both sets of intakes faired-in:

43321231891_2f334f6e27_c.jpg

I discarded the original plan to cut those panels out on the Silhouette as it was a simpler job to simply apply the foil to the wing, trim to size and shape before slicing horizontally along the opening to rub the foil in around the lip of the ducting with a blunt cocktail stick:

43321231921_c51edf5542_c.jpg

Finally I could delay sorting out the flaps no longer, so wedged them in to approximate the way that they're angled in reference shots of Pelican 9 swooping

on the capsule:

29451242798_64ebce6903_c.jpg

991px-Fairchild_C-119J_Flying_Boxcar_recovers_CORONA_Capsule_1960_USAF_040314-O-9999R-001.jpg

Looks about right by eye:

43321231991_45dae3be9d_c.jpg

Not quite sure why I've been putting this  off really as it shouldn't be a hard job: could it be a reluctance to stop building and fear of having now to paint it? :whistle:

Anyhow, this - as they say - is the general arrangement:

43321232201_b89ac367f6_c.jpg

The actuators push the flap back and down, guided by a hinge at each end of the flap. To make sure that both sets of holes in wing and flap match up later on, some precautionary marking out:

29451243018_978482e796_c.jpg

For smaller hard-to-get-at places, brass strip makes a handy ruler...

During test fitting all of this I noticed a kit discrepancy in relation to reference photographs:

43321232151_b460b1a443_c.jpg

The outer part of the inboard flaps (f'you see what I mean in the photo above) butt up flush against the booms whereas Italeri - rather as they did with the tailplane - had a stub of wing running along the boom, which was the point I'd cut the flaps out using their panel lines as a guide. As a consequence that 'stump' has now been carved and sanded back on both sides to correct the error.

Having learned the hard way back on the Do-18 just how delicate actuators can be at this scale, this time around I decided to use just a single piece of brass (3.5mm wide strips cut from 0.15mm thick bands) and shape it by hand, rather than stick two separate pieces together to achieve the desired angles:

43321232341_1fa9012392_c.jpg

More time-consuming but a physically stronger result:

43321232301_142bf6d958_c.jpg

To test my measurements I completed one first and test fitted it before proceeding (Just noticed I had the actuator in upside down for this photo - need to put the head back in the fridge...):

42603184574_73229c93a4_c.jpg

Then built the rest knowing that they would do the job:

43321232911_b7ced55782_c.jpg

To make these, I simply roughed out the blanks with the Dremel locked-off sideways to turn it into a bench grinder (effective), before final shaping with sihrsc and needle files. With the flaps only being partly deployed I didn't really need to go to the trouble of shaping the whole actuator as the ends will be buried inside the wing and flap, but felt it bad karma not too...

Here's the remainder test-fitted to the flaps:

42603187014_774d142d87_c.jpg

The brass fits the slits in the flaps nice and tight but I'll epoxy them in later, plus where they meet the flap there's a sort of tiny pyramidal bracket that I need to look at. Then it's on to the hinges at each end over the next couple of days.

France v. Belgium later - I bet @corsaircorp's sitting astride a keg of Triple Karmeliet with a straw as we speak! :laugh:

Take care til next time chums.

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

How I picture you arriving at work Giorgio:

Yeah, could be me. Except for the beard. And the grey hair. And I'm much fitter. :coolio:

:rofl:  :rofl:

Ciao

Edit:  posted simultaneously, Tony. Excellent job with those hinges :clap: I use the Dremel too for that kind of job, also with the sanding disc tool; it allows me to get very close to the actual finish, if I can actually handle the part ...

Edited by giemme

nope !! Dear baron !

I Don't like soccer, in fact I Don't care about !!

I'll be at my desk and scratch some platic… And today, it will be Triple Maredsous, or a strong dark Waterloo !!

Do not try the straw tip with such rocket fuel, it will stone you in a few minutes !! :evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Cheers :cheers:

I think that I will Martianise a Fonderie kit today !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

nice metalwork as always there sir.    Dunno if I ever mentioned this before, and it may work on your nano scale, but if you take some brass wire or rod and bend it to the correct angle, you can then stick it in a vise and crush it.  As it crushes, it flattens (obviously) and increases in width slightly.  I've used that for actuators and various other greeblies before

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Marvellous work Tony, very realistic :) 

Cooler here today so I hope your trips to the fridge won't be required for much longer.

• Thanks 1

Nice work on the flap rails!

There are usually 2 parts to flaps of this sort, an actuator that pushes them back and down, and a rail that they slide back and forth on. This stops the airflow from pushing them back up. It would also make your flaps a lot stronger. I'll have a look for some piccies to explain better....

Here you go, actual C-119 flaps. Note the brackets at the ends to give support, and the actuators giving a triangular type attachment for strength.

frouch_c-119_19.jpg

frouch_c-119_20.jpg

frouch_c-119_17.jpg

Ian

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Yeah, could be me. Except for the beard. And the grey hair. And I'm much fitter.

Must be all that paving you do Giorgio! :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, giemme said:

it allows me to get very close to the actual finish, if I can actually handle the part ...

I know what you meant -  at a certain point at this scale you just run out of bits to grip with the pliers!

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

nope !! Dear baron !

I Don't like soccer, in fact I Don't care about !!

The weird thing is Cc neither do I until the World Cup comes around and then it becomes a transitory passion. A bit like eating a whole pudding yourself and then being sick of it until the next time...

Mrs. B's even worse - she was quoting possession statistics at me during halftime earlier.... :footy:

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I think that I will Martianise a Fonderie kit today !!

He's now a verb? 📖

May our gods help us...

4 hours ago, hendie said:

nice metalwork as always there sir.    Dunno if I ever mentioned this before,

Ta hendie. :thumbsup2:

I suspect that you have told me that already and that it has not lodged in the 'making actuators' part of the frontal lobe.

Note to self: either bring  the big vice in from shed or upgrade the pitiful nutcracker currently on the bench....

<cough> Someone should engineer some kind of custom bend/squeeze jig for this kind of thing...actually I suspect that in the bowels of the Science Museum in S. Ken there is a beautiful 18th century precision device for doing precisely that. 

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Cooler here today so I hope your trips to the fridge won't be required for much longer.

Oh, you know - can't complain. Wandering around with a brain befuddled by heat is quite pleasant at the moment and stops people expecting too much of me... 👨‍🎤

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice work on the flap rails!

Thanks Ian - I wasn't aware of the significance of the side rails but that makes perfect engineering sense (to a non-engineer like myself).

Thanks for the hooking out those pics - great minds think alike as I've been relying on cross-referencing  that Cybermodeller set against the maintenance manual for some time now - they do indeed seem to be the best collection of images for that particular portion of the bird. :nodding:

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

much admired patient metal shaping on display there!

I first read that as 'mental patient' and thought: 'Curses, I've finally been rumbled...'

How's Little T doing in this heat Keith? 

I've finished epoxying those actuators into the slits in the flaps just now - all fitted surprisingly well in the end. That pyramidal bracket between flap and actuator I approximated with a conical blob of epoxy, though let's see if it looks more like melted ice cream in the morning!

Sweet dreams modellers....

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

How's Little T doing in this heat Keith? 

:dinosaur:  He says he's fine thanks - heat seems to reflect off the great beast. There was however another ice cream related incident earlier, it appears a Mr Whippy van, complete with driver & contents has gone missing in Swansea..... 

I'm keeping quiet about the couple of tyres & mangled steering wheel I found in the front garden.... not to mention the 'Match of the Day' tune that emanates from little T every time he burps :whistle:

K

• Haha 8

Epoxying the actuators into the flaps, I wiggled the flaps into the recesses on the aircraft at the required orientation, using the aircraft as a jig to make sure that the actuators set at the correct angle overnight  before gluing on at the end after all the paintwork gets done:

41530648970_0fb3ffa0dc_c.jpg

An early start this morning allowed me to get to work on the hinges at either end of each set of flaps. Since hendie giving me a nudge that a judicious squeeze of the rod might help out here I decided to reprise the technique I'd used previously when making the blade antennae for the top of the aircraft, to whit:

42622770144_a91c5f7449_c.jpg

0.4mm rod inside a 5mm length of 0.5mm tube. This was then bent on the PE jig to produce this:

43290137882_434d350917_c.jpg

Which was then squeezed in pliers to produce this:

42435940235_131903abe1_c.jpg

Close enough:

c-119j_51-8037_66_of_90.jpg

Bona!

41530649160_89612ab843_c.jpg

With the test example working I knocked out the remainder in short order:

41530649380_425e568413_c.jpg

42622770294_e22133c348_c.jpg

Wedged-in for a quick test-fit I reckon that these will  provide a good enough expression of hingery at this scale:

41530649610_a7ff1912fa_c.jpg

Due to the delicacy of those bits, you won't be surprised that I'll mount those right at the end of the build:

42435940365_34c2c70f4f_c.jpg

A few scrapes on the flaps will need a schmear of PPP to avoid showing up under a metal finish:

42622770354_7011b3332d_c.jpg

Otherwise that's it really for the flap regions - makes you wonder why I dallied so long over that don't it?

Aside from summat similar from brass to make the roof hinges of the BT I reckon that's nearly it for the construction phase. 

Almost a shock to think of it really! 

I'll take a day or so to do do an inventory of anything I may have missed structurally and need to do up a paint plan but otherwise we could be spraying soon!

Not too soon though. I've to go in hospital for the day on Friday under a local so that the sawbones can inject various dyes into my spine to work out what's going-on. The hospital letter asks me to wear 'a dressing gown and self-gripping socks'. What the hell are self-gripping socks? They sound alarming... :laugh:

New set of drill bits popped through the letterbox just now:

42623208864_50a87170c3_c.jpg

Just as well as I've spent the last few days comprehensively snapping every one I have under 0.5mm whilst working on the flaps. I'm such a clumsy git with these small needles that I've now taken to ordering single sizes in batches of 10......

If you're watching the match later: 'Howay the lads!'

If you're not watching the match later: 'Bloody football, I'm sick of it'

😉

Laters potaters...

Tony

• Like 11