Catching Pictures in the Air

Have I wowowowowowow'ed you lately Tony?

Wow

How the heck do you find long thin lolly sticks?

All I ever get is those elongated 'eight' shaped magnum types

(this is ludicrous, he's even got me jealous of his lollystickery) :(

She really is a marvellous piece of model engineering, you simply surpass that Tony (you) every time you do the next thing

Magic

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well Mutinous and Depraved…. A borderline Genius Indeed !

Not to mention that I'll came up with a full load of Karmeliet….

As The Spadgent will have the carpet rolled in the corners that will be easier for practising some aerobatic Rock'n roll !

There will be some Wrens too, They start to be addicted to the belgian Rocket fuel !!

Great job on the aerial Dear Baron, so you're going in Dorset…. I know someone in Poole

But what a pity, he will not be at home at that time...

He'll have a appointment with the Innuendoes…

How many goat ???

Sincerely

CC

• Haha 2

Lovely soldery work, that's given me an idea for the "artificial horizon" on the Muromets when I get to it.

I don't think the parrot wants to play this year, can't say I blame him! We probably need something a little bigger and more resilient. I hear there's an Albatros available somewhere nearby, but for God's sake don't give it any chili, that would make the goat VERY uncomfortable!

Ian

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely soldery work, that's given me an idea for the "artificial horizon" on the Muromets when I get to it.

I don't think the parrot wants to play this year, can't say I blame him! We probably need something a little bigger and more resilient. I hear there's an Albatros available somewhere nearby, but for God's sake don't give it any chili, that would make the goat VERY uncomfortable!

Ian

Hello Ian,

Ho so you remember that torrid evening…. 😈

Well, Let's go for parrots AND Albatros !  :bandit:

Do you see Dear Baron, how much we take care of your thread ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the radars. Looks like you could do justice to some German night fighters!

Regards,

Adrian

I agreed a 200% !!

I must try this soldering job… one day !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 5:39 PM, Martian Hale said:

Mutinous? Us? I never heard such a thing!

Whatever the Vogon for mutinous is then... :winkgrin:

22 hours ago, giemme said:

I normally go with an old fine brush slightly dipped in Tamiya Green Cap, but I shall give your method I try

Hope it works for you Giorgio. :thumbsup2: 

Doubtless the intensity of the effect will vary from plastic to plastic and also with respect to the grade of graphite in the pencil. The Italeri plastic was quite a hard mix in this instance and I was using an HB lead in a mechanical pencil - the two seeming to work well together.

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Excellent work on the radar masts Tony.

And the "pencil" trick is nice....

:thanks:

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb work there Tony, some of the detail must be so subtle but all adds to the finished piece.

The model must be difficult to handle by now.

Thanks James. :thumbsup2:

You're right - the number of times I've banged the booms on the bench light now turning it around to look at various parts are beyond counting! 

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Wow

Too too kind as ever Bill. 😊

18 hours ago, perdu said:

All I ever get is those elongated 'eight' shaped magnum types

Clearly sir is a man of distinction who shops at the posh end of the freezer cabinet. 🤵

Mine will be from the cheaper 'was once driven past a field of fruit on the way out of the factory but contains no actual fruit' end of the cabinet.... 🍧 😉

17 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

How many goat ???

I can say with all certainty that no-one has ever asked me that question before Cc! :rofl2:

How many do you need and for how long 🐐

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Thanks old chap. :thumbsup2:

Given the heat where you are I presume you can do it with just a magnifying glass out on the windowsill...?

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

but for God's sake don't give it any chili, that would make the goat VERY uncomfortable!

I'm beginning to suspect something rather rum about the predilection for goats on this forum! 

Have I gotten on to Britsatanist by accident and failed to note that everything modelling-related is actually a cult-euphemism? 🤔 :worry: :laugh:

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm not going to say anything about one mans lolly stick envy!🦑

An unusual level of restraint for this forum...

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Do you see Dear Baron, how much we take care of your thread ??

That would be a use of the phrase 'take care of' that one should beware of then Cc...as in Rommel saying 'Ill just take care of Tobruk'.... 🤣

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the radars. Looks like you could do justice to some German night fighters!

Thanks Adrian. :thumbsup2:

Along with aircraft that fly over the sea I must confess to a fondness for those with antlers as well - it fascinated me how aircraft during this period went through some extraordinarily medieval growths of analogue technology before it all got digitialized and concealed within streamlined airframes in later decades:

Messerschmitt-Bf-110G-4-Nachtj%C3%A4ger.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I must try this soldering job… one day !

Give it a try Cc. :nodding:

Honestly it gives such freedom to a build knowing that if plastic will be prove flimsy or visually 'soft' for a part, that you can fall back on brass.

If my experience is anything to go by then your first attempts will be unimaginably horrible, but that's what drives you to the point of getting a 'feel' for the process.

(That's a long-winded way of saying that if a clumsy galoot like me can learn to bodge the odd bit o' brass together, then anyone can - it's just practice, pure & simple...)

Lots of small stuff today, starting with the engine exhausts. Italeri give a small 'dimple' to indicate the openings so natch I had to drill those out as thin & deep as the plastic would tolerate:

42250145934_d193267741_c.jpg

Strikes me that I need to look at sourcing some brass tubing above the 1mm max. diameter Albion stuff I have for making a better job of such parts in future, but that will do on this occasion:

42250145744_e5808df738_c.jpg

Having got them one rigged for future painting it was on to consideration of the antennae farm up on the roof of the Iron Chicken:

29096456058_3d8646a108_c.jpg

All sorts of odd-shaped blades and shapes to consider but you also need to take notice in reference photographs of how these vary in shape and location between variants. On this occasion I used reference shots of Pelican 9 for type and location and only then referred to the parts manual for detailed specs. Needless to say my dissatisfaction with the accuracy of plastic for representing such thin parts at this scale has only increased with time, so the kit parts were not an option. You can see in the above shot that I'd set out intending to fabricate many of these from brass sheet in the same manner I'd done back on the Dornier. That had involved just soldering a locating pin to the bottom of the antennae then but I reckoned here a less fragile method at this scale would be to eschew soldering on any pin at all, instead simply insert a length of brass rod inside brass tubing of the required diameter before crushing it flat around the rod for strength,  then final shaping with the sihrsc as shown here:

42250145814_767db65fcc_c.jpg

The 'swept-wing' top of that I did make from brass sheet, cutting out the centre and shaping the edges with a grinding disc on the Dremel before smoothing the profile with a sanding stick. This was then soldered onto the upright, for which a haemostat proved most useful:

41158628580_35ab828e2b_c.jpg

None of the  remaining four antennae were quite the same shape or size but all were fabricated with the same internal rod/crushed tube process for creating the various vane shapes and cross-sections, her dry-fitted:

29096456128_3f2c32057c_c.jpg

I nearly forgot that rearmost one near the escape hatches, as there are only a  few photos of the 'J' showing this region clearly enough:

42250145984_a178d7f5d8_c.jpg

Off to get the tea ready before this evening's match: sumac-flavoured kebabs, pittas and mint sauce...

Have a lovely evening/morning/afternoon (delete according to time-zone)

:bye:

Tony

PS. The badge on the Baronmobile has nearly weathered away. Think it worth painting a roundel in there before leaving for Blighty?

29097129778_1212f33fa9_c.jpg

:laugh:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Paint a BMW badge in there, that'll confuse the car spotters.....!!

Very lovely work on those aerials Tony, so much more finesse about them than even the best plastic part....

Keith

Agreed 100%! :clap: On both accounts :wink: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

41158628580_35ab828e2b_c.jpg

Now that was worth waiting for. - and great out of the box thinking to boot. 

Have a great hols break and we'll look forward to a reinvigorated kick start to the remainder of the build

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm beginning to believe in 'forced evolution' now

None of you b*ggers had even considered the use of 'the six-inch, half-round, second cut file' before I dumped my idle method of plastic reformation upon you

Now look at you...

😱

Tony the aerial suite on the beastie is becoming a thing of beauty

Oh by the way postie turned up this am bearing gifts, rather fabulous gifts too, or have you lost something you put down and cannot recollect where it may have gone?

I have good reading ahead, thank you old chap

The Skoda badge, have you considered the 'new wave' roundel as worn by Stealthy Lightning 2s?

Grey on grey

Just a thought, thinking...

😉

• Haha 3

Oh my god !

That will be a case to move the whole thing now with all these wonderfull aerials !

Really great job Dear Baron and thanks for the tip...

My turn is coming now, I choose a version with 2 radar for my Uhu ...

I will use master aerial and really fine resin one from Vektor

I just hope that I will not screw it ...

Yup a roundel will do the job but avoid the pink and blue one….

As for the goat, You gave me a good laugh with Britsatanic…. I'll bring some Karmeliet… Soooo, Don't you worry !

Sincerely !

CC

• Haha 1

Oh look Tony !

May I suggest this one for the Skoda roundel:cheers:

IT'S A...….

téléchargement

GOAT !!!

Sincerely from the metal castle !! A bit gothic but...

CC

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Haha 3

Hot! Hot! Hot!

The last two days here on the edge of Europe have been spectacularly cloudless - it barely seemed to get dark at all last night. Mrs. B had already decided that as yesterday was St. John's Eve (here in Ireland that means one of those delicious pagan fire festivals that corporate Christianity tried but failed to takr over in the name of a saint and which the sensual joy of an open fire beneath the stars utterly mocks) - we weren't in bed until the early hours of Sunday morning, sitting out around a small fire of rotten planks and elder branches. This photo was taken at about 11pm:

28112208457_cea8e87887_c.jpg

Ducks under the midsummer moon. 

You can't see it in there but Jupiter is about a duck's length below and to the right of the moon in this photo: our youngest had the telescope out and had his first sight of the Galiliean moons as sparks on either side of the planet. As a result today is one lazy Sunday - just as well that there wasn't much more needed doing to the Iron Chicken.

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Paint a BMW badge in there, that'll confuse the car spotters.....!!

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100%!

Keith & Giorgio: I wonder will Tamiya acrylics under a coat of yacht varnish work? 🤔 😆

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Have a great hols break and we'll look forward to a reinvigorated kick start to the remainder of the build

Ta hendie. :thumbsup2: This'll be the last update this side of the hols so catch ye in July!

16 hours ago, perdu said:

None of you b*ggers had even considered the use of 'the six-inch, half-round, second cut file' before I dumped my idle method of plastic reformation upon you

Now look at you...

I believe the phrase that you're looking for Bill is 'Pandora's Box' !! :laugh:

pandora_mediano-1.jpg

Oh by the way postie turned up this am bearing gifts

Glad it arrived safe - hope it tickles a rib or two.

The Skoda badge, have you considered the 'new wave' roundel as worn by Stealthy Lightning 2s?

I hadn't....but now that you raise the subject it is rather 'now' isn't it? Although I must admit to being a bit of a dyed-in-the-wool Type C.1 man...decisions, decisions....

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

My turn is coming now, I choose a version with 2 radar for my Uhu ...

Excellent Cc! You can't go wrong with a set of antlers on an aircraft can you? When you're out of ammo you can still have a stab at the foe...

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

IT'S A...….

téléchargement

Most metal dude! 🤘

Then I could also get a bumper sticker that read: 'Caution - I slow down for the souls of the righteous. So that I can reverse back over them and crush all hope.

Are goatskin seat covers available for the Skoda Octavia do you know? 🤔

Right, I'd best stick  some pictures up before you lose patience with these sleep-starved prattlings. First job was to knock up some pitots - a simple enough task with some 0.3mm brass rod sweat-soldered into 0.5mm tubing. Thence it was time to drill the nose of the Iron Chicken to receive a test-fit of both these and the DF antennae:

42931179732_efc3ce5bd3_c.jpg

41170580440_03bdf5a1d9_c.jpg

During the process of drilling out that lot, due to my general clumsiness in relation to drilling into curves at an angle I've now managed to comprehensively snap most of my sub 0.5mm drill bits. I do have a couple of those packs of bits you get when you buy a pin vices and such like but I find them bluntly dreadful so have jut whacked a bulk order in for 0.3 and 0.4mm carbide bits in the hope it'll take me a while to work through them.

42931179932_dc1b2f922e_c.jpg

I'm generally pleased with how these have turned out; there are some tiny conical tips to add to the DF aerials and a couple of bits of wire to add to a couple of the vertical spines, but otherwise:

8c6e36d04afc4f95b2ecc5304a6f4f2b.png

28112149227_d199f214da_c.jpg

As a finale then, the outer wings have now been glued on:

42931179822_92f6afeb7b_c.jpg

There traditional tape & Lego method for establishing the correct dihedral:

28112149267_c3b8dd323f_c.jpg

As on previous occasions with major components I was uber-generous with the epoxy so that it will also act as a carve-able filler once cured, which saves faffing around with filler separately later on:

42931180052_fdcf75d977_c.jpg

In fairness to Italeri there were only minor seams to take care of at the outer wing root.

Big Chicken now ain't it?

29108296088_85f0247a8e_c.jpg

Now then. Short of tidying-up those seams and misting some Halfordian grey onto the airframe to check for imperfections, we are now very close to getting out with the Alclad primer and black gloss in preparation for painting. This will be a tricky masking and colouring sequence to get right so that will be left until we get home again.

You guys have been superb (as ever) at keeping my motivation levels up during these last stages of construction so big  :thanks: and this is Iron Chicken Leader signing-off until the 2nd week of July.

Make sure you use plenty of sunscreen - I don't want to come back to Britlobster....

giphy.gif

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

Bootiful!

Oh wait, that was turkey wasn't it? Oh well, the same sentiment applies.

Enjoy the hols Tony! See you on your return, suitably refreshed and roaring to get on with the paint!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a great holydays Tony !

Nice trip and stay abroad, thank for the pics, St john fire are customary in my region too !

Goat skin seats 😖 that must be scratchy would'nt it ??

We can however suggest such seats for a certain albatros….

Now I wait for the painting of that big chicken !

In fact… Chicken, goat and turkey, are'nt we in Britfarmer !!

Oh Dear that remind me of

And

I just got one when I was a kid because it was expensive...

Enjoy your Hols Dear Baron !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This photo was taken at about 11pm:

28112208457_cea8e87887_c.jpg

Hi ho, hi ho it's off to work we go.......

Cracking pic Tony, as are those nose aerials on the IC, great work!

Enjoy your holibobs!

K & :dinosaur:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I really like your technique of holding the tube between lolly sticks to drill it accurately - filed away for future use - nice fine & strong antenna too - the model looks big and impressive now its in one piece

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1