Catching Pictures in the Air

Simon, hendie, John, bendikt, Martian, CC, Chris, Keith, Johnny, Pete, Bill, Massimo, Terry, Ced, AW, Giorgio, Teuchter, CJP, Crisp: thanks you all for your kind comments - my apologies for not responding to you all individually but it's been a bit of a ratty day tbh and I'm not great company tonight.

I did get some reparations done to many of those elements I pointed out in yesterday's instalment. The metal border around the front of the port '0' got widened:

29137763687_0ea87e69ab_c.jpg

Yuk. That dark blue band around the nose looks ghastly along the bottom thoughm- how could I have not picked that wobble up before?

The white 'cap' along the top of the aircraft did sand down very nicely with some water and W&D, however it ha picked up some scrapes in handling that needed some Humbrol filler:

44074497551_fab9273808_c.jpg

These sanded in nice and flat afterwards.

Then, being tired I started to make stupid mistakes.... 

I corrected the distortion on the port boom roundel ok, but then pulled the masking tape off too quickly and removed some of the fresh Alclad:

44074497661_a8466a1feb_c.jpg

Then a little later, when taking off the masking for the thin blue line that runs around the lower edge of the white cap, I managed to drop a scalpel onto that snowy white surface, leaving a nasty scratch:

44074497701_f49810e37d_c.jpg

:facepalm:

I did manage to get the full stops on the starboard side there squared-up, but that blue line where it dog-legs up over the canopyneeds revisiting as my masking there was frankly amateurish.

All-in-all an unsatisfactory end to the day - nothing that can't be cured after a good night's sleep but I must confess to now being a little bored at these fiddly little tasks and angry at myself for making such easily avoided errors through tiredness, and thus prolonging matters.

Don't worry, I'm not about to let this drop but definitely feeling like this has been a loooong build now and won't be sorry to see it done. 

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13
  • Sad 4

It certainly has been a long build, but worth every hour of it from what I can see. Of course there are going to be small repairs needed here and there, no problems fixing those. The main thing is that the final result is absolutely gorgeous!

Take a rest, come back refreshed, and stun us even more!

Ian

• Thanks 1

I know how you feel Tony - modelling when tired is always frustrating...

Have a good kip matey and come back to it - you may be seeing the faults (some of which could be operational dings, just saying) but I'm seeing a beautiful model near to completion. 

Courage mon brave :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks OK to me

Some minor readjustments of course, par, as we say, for the course

Look at the positives mate, the silver round the number that you enlarged without a trace

How the hell do you do that?

The white cap that you actually had to attack with filler and w&d, absolutely top job

The little scratch on the white, pah!

I spit on that tiny nick, if you do it might even disappear mon brave

And I can attest, m'lud that no remasking job goes right

After whipping numerals from under a model just before the varnish went on, which meant I needed to use spare parts from other sources, I promise you it happens universally

The Tin Budgie looks very real, I love it

(Other avian types are available)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Fully understand !

Take a rest, try some Ansonery and then, you'll came back at the chicken with a renewed Energy !

This is a REALLY great kit and a long process, so this is no longer at matter of some days to wait !

That's why I used to have multiple builds...:whistle:

I feel the same with my 190 D-9, Seemingly, everytime I look at her, I find glitches !!

And I'm far, far, far behind your quality standards !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

nothing that can't be cured after a good night's sleep

Exactly!

These sort of annoying issues happen to as all, but (as you know that I'm sure) the worse of it is, the closer you get to the finish, the incidence of them seems to increase, along with the apparent seriousness .................... It's a mathematical formula I'm certain, something like ..... "as model tends to infinity completion, P (problem) multiplied by M (magnitude) is equal to or greater than T (time to completion), where actual completion cannot be expressed as a real value" ...................   like much of the maths from my past, I struggle to express it correctly!

Soldier on, the bird is close now.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It certainly has been a long job but as I have only been following this closely for the last week or so I am well qualified to say that through a fresh set of eyes it looks excellent- extraordinary really!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

After such an epic build, and with the finish line looming, it would be foolish to rush it.

Thanks as ever Simon - you're right, I don't want to succumb to that 'let's get this done quickly now' feeling, however tempting it might be....

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Take a rest, come back refreshed, and stun us even more!

Cheers Ian: sleep as ever has proved the great healer...

22 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Amazing!

Most kind John. :thumbsup2: It's a consolation that every step forward from this point means exponentially reducing the number of potential errors left to make!

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I know how you feel Tony - modelling when tired is always frustrating...

Have a good kip matey and come back to it

You're dead right Ced: :thanks: I've no doubt everyone reading this has been through their own variations of the nuit sombre.....

20 hours ago, hendie said:

just take a step back and come back fresh

I hear you hendie. 

Some light exercise may help with the mood also:

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Look at the positives mate,

Thanks Bill. That was a most comforting post mate. :thumbsup2:

17 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

try some Ansonery

:laugh: That my friend could be quite dangerous! I tend to be quite single-minded when something needs doing and the thought of two builds running simultaneously would have me in meltdown. 

I don't know how you manage to keep all 27 on the go at the one time! :winkgrin:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

the worse of it is, the closer you get to the finish, the incidence of them seems to increase, along with the apparent seriousness

Terry - that was exactly how I felt last night: well put sir!

8 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I am well qualified to say that through a fresh set of eyes it looks excellent

From a craftsman of your calibre Steve that is a comment to be treasured: thanks. :nodding:

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

:gobsmacked:

Stay strong Cookie: a chin bench is in the post:

But-Hussaim.jpg

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

You've really nailed that paint work! Well worth ALL the time and effort you have expended

Most kind Roger. :thumbsup:

This is not only the first aircraft I've ever painted all over with metallics but also the biggest I've done  since I returned to modelling. If nothing else it's provided ample opportunity to get to know the ins-and-outs of the airbrush, so a lot of latent knowledge has been acquired along the way.

No pics tonight as the repairs done this evening were not especially photogenic i.e., roof scratch filled and sanded smooth, nose ring outline redone around the bottom, blue line re-angled up and over the canopy. With these 'bitty' jobs I've also learned from yesterday's frustrations to do them in and around other things, rather than grimly approaching them as a single monolithic process, which has helped.

I slept well last night and awoke refreshed, though had mad dreams - at one point involving arguing with Felicity Kendall in a railway carriage about scissors before spotting Boris Johnson out of the window as we pulled away from the platform and lobbing a brick at his head, shouting: 'What's that fecker doing here?' 

I must stop listening to 'The World Tonight'program whilst half asleep...

Driving into work this morning I realized that I have nothing to complain about in family life, modelling and in general at the moment and felt rather grateful.

Thanks for all your supportive comments - you chaps really are the best, you know that?

Tony

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I slept well last night and awoke refreshed, though had mad dreams - at one point involving arguing with Felicity Kendall in a railway carriage about scissors before spotting Boris Johnson out of the window as we pulled away from the platform and lobbing a brick at his head, shouting: 'What's that fecker doing here?' 

:rofl2:

I used to dream about Felicity too - luckily Boris never got involved!!

K

• Haha 3

Wow Tony it has been definitely worth the wait. Looks amazing.  You have done a marvellous job with all the masking etc. I have to say that I would have got lost somewhere along the way doing all that. 

I hope you are feeling okay now.  When I saw your post mentioning a ratty day and not being good company.  I have had a similar few days this week  (car problems/money/worries etc etc) I then had a realisation on my fairly long commute to work yesterday that I am a lucky chap really with what I have and am grateful . I am now feeling better too, which is just as well as I can now fix the bloomin car !!!

Keep your chin up fella and don't succumb to the temptation to rush to the finish. Keep up the amazing work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

You argued with Felicity???

Good God man, you were worse than I thought!

At least a little sanity returned with the brick lobbing.....phew!

Ian

• Haha 3

All this talk of Felicity Kendall has made me come over all unnecessary! :frantic:

Martian (off for a very cold shower!) 👽

• Haha 4

On 8/17/2018 at 8:47 PM, giemme said:

Good to see you back in a good mood, Tony

Thanks Giorgio - you've got to expect to get rough periods in a build of this length now and again haven't you? :banghead:

I think Terry was dead right though about problems seeming to be magnified the closer you get to the end.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:47 PM, keefr22 said:

I used to dream about Felicity too

But who does she dream about Keith..? :rofl:

On 8/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

For me it was seeing her in Wellies in The Good Life...Mmmm...yes...😉

That series always did have a cult following with the rubber-fetish community. :laugh:

On 8/18/2018 at 1:25 PM, limeypilot said:

Good God man, you were worse than I thought!

What was it Freud said about dreams...?

More than he bloody should have on a number of counts....

On 8/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Martian Hale said:

All this talk of Felicity Kendall has made me come over all unnecessary!

Thank God for longer sentences.... :shocked:

23 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

It's the Wellies...

Fetishist.

I knew it... :winkgrin:

On 8/18/2018 at 9:03 AM, bigbadbadge said:

don't succumb to the temptation to rush to the finish

I hear you Chris. :thumbsup2:

What the:

29137763987_ea5da884a9_c.jpg

's been going on you might ask?

Tidying.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Side-to-side and cha-cha-cha mainly.

The IC's schnozz had been a source of ire regarding a wobbly outline on the underneath, so that was masked and resprayed betterer:

44132345801_5903b96940_c.jpg

Such jobs are a reminder never to get rid of your left-over  mask surrounds:

44132346021_da0e30272f_c.jpg

Using the remains I was able to cut out the negative circles of the roundels and use those to mask the curves of the nose. This job was complicated by the fact that the nose rings are not circular in cross section all the way around, but I discovered that a quick blast from the hair dryer on hot makes the masking film nice and floppy so that you can finesse it to the required variations of  curvature before it cools and harden again:

43225621255_2396b3390a_c.jpg

After that I straightened the leading edges of the fluorescent wing panels and repaired the damaged aluminium above the port boom roundel, then got to work in Silhouette Studio (for what I hope was the last time this build) to generate the masks for the wing walkways:

44083706572_be5e0a9666_c.jpg

You can see that I've finally copped on to nesting shapes against each other resulting in less cutting time and less wastage of masking film by bunching things closer together.

Outer wings first:

44132346121_2fd63ff90c_c.jpg

I'm spraying NATO Black for this job as flat black just looks plain wrong to me on thin lines at this scale. This job took several hours on and off in the end as you have to be meticulous in making sure that the adjacent sets of walkways match up and align all the way along from wingtip to wing root - particularly taxing when having to meet exactly on either side the negative walkways over the booms:

44083707782_9efe28b168_c.jpg

Even-tually we arrived at this point with all walkways now completed on the upper surfaces:

44083708402_d709f69d8c_c.jpg

I widened that black cruciform panel on the roof to match more closely what can be seen in reference shots  (using Alcald primer to match the original outline) and you can no doubt make out that I managed to smudge a finger's width of the starboard outer walkway when removing the masking so I'll have to clean that up:

30264441678_c3c650398e_c.jpg

The critical point of this job was to make sure that the lines retain their separation along the various runs despite the varying contours of the aircraft's surface, and I think I've nailed that now:

29194489937_1f09cc5f37_c.jpg

This is the Iron Chicken this afternoon then.

44132347631_cff35d1dde_c.jpg

Plumage nearly complete - there's the smudged walkway and a couple more touch-ups needing on the aluminium in places - then I can finish spraying the white cap. I'd really like to experiment with dot filtering across both metal and painted surfaces, so as long as I've got all the metal surfaces sealed (as I think I have now) Iit should be possible use oil paints across both them and the acrylic-painted ones without losing the shiny/matt differentiation across these varying regions.

More over the course of the week birdwatchers.

Tony

• Like 16