Catching Pictures in the Air

I love all this painting procedure!!!

I think the level of patience it took is admirable, to say the less!

Look forward to see all that masking being removed!!!

Please, let us savour it with plenty of pictures!!!

:clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CedB said:

That prop is a little work of art Tony, beautiful :) 

Oramask rules, OK?

:thumbsup: Both things very true!

I definitely need a bigger screen - a couple more days to wait, though...

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Props on the props

?

?

Oh well however that translates I bet it means they are fabulous, acos they are

Some more impeccable work (and working OUT) going into the Pelican, you really should hire trucks and bring it and the floaty thing to Telford soon

We'll all be busting to see them in the flash

I said trucks because I think we'd like to enjoy revisiting all your produce

Amazing (again)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Alclad grey primer... maybe the black is worth a try?

I read somebody a while back warning that the grey wasn't as good hendie. I can't remember the exact combination of circumstances but remember being glad to have stayed with the black. I gave the beast a good going over with a cloth buffing head on the Dremel last night and no Alclad lifted, even from over the metal foil parts that you imagine would have the most fragile bond.

16 hours ago, hendie said:

the one thing I have noticed with a/c in bare metal finish is that even a 'shiny' finish has a *dull* deep sheen to it (yes, oxymoron time).  Most of the models in bare metal finish are too bright, too sparkly almost (if anyone understands what I'm trying to say).

I do indeed hendie. Presumably somewhere deep in the headquarters of the Rivet Enumeration Underground is a heated discussion about 'scale sparkle'. 

Certainly the microsurfaces of metal are not reproduced at the scales we work at, which obviously has implications for the way light behaves across surfaces regarding specularity, anisotropy, lighting distances and shadow hardness &etc. and here we are down the rabbit hole again. I think that your characterization of 'sheen' problems sums it up well when seeing examples of overly bright surfaces that 'pop' too much.

The car wax idea is an intriguing one. I'll have a rummage in the utility room after work and see if we still have some in an old tin. (Which shows you the last time I waxed the car...)

14 hours ago, massimo said:

Look forward to see all that masking being removed!!!

Please, let us savour it with plenty of pictures!!!

It shall be done Massimo!

If I can get some Pledge on it later I might risk a peel this evening.... :smile:

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Oramask rules, OK?

Doesn't it just Ced? Magic stuff for which I remain indebted to yourself and Giorgio for convincing me to invest.

Already wondering how long this roll will last.... :whistle:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

you really should hire trucks and bring it and the floaty thing to Telford soon

I wonder could I convince the Air Corps here to run the Learjet over to Birmingham airport?

f23962cbf7.jpg

😄

• Like 6

Guess what I've just been up to:

44004344542_fe1e3ffdd0_c.jpg

Yep. The Iron Chicken has been unmasked in stages now.

The results?

Good. :nodding:

Inevitably there are some  touch-ups needed here on something this complex but nothing that can't be tidied up later.

I had noticed a nasty scuff on the port engine that I must have caused during buffing last night (I've noticed one or two others since that could use attention but they can all be done at the same time as other tidying-up jobs):

43146461675_d039014a69_c.jpg

This as you can see got a blast of primer before being reinstated to match the surroundings. After an hours or so drying it was out with the Pledge, misting on a first light coat and then two further successively heavy ones:

43334129534_e486e4378e_c.jpg

This is the last shot you'll see her all silver. like that. 

First off were the dark blue lettering and 'climb faster' stripes along each side of the fuselage. The 'U.S. Air Force' lettering I must confess had been giving me perhaps the most worry of the lot as if it looked clumsy or badly spaced it was going to be an eyesore. Thankfully not:

43146461815_c7c3876170_c.jpg

To starboard equally reassuring results - except for those bloody full stops which I must have twisted under a thumb during painting! :laugh:

44004344302_4fabcdc35c_c.jpg

I even managed to make sure that the stripe on the BT matched the placement of the one on the fuselage:

42243311190_f372e4de42_c.jpg

Next to be revealed were the positive and negative walkway regions that I'd left in black primer:

43334129674_1585a40e15_c.jpg

That isn't some kind of oversight on the starboard wing root btw - there really is a black oblong marking there, due, I think, to some kind of vent outlet which I've consistently been too lazy to look up the purpose of.

Tail numbers too are nice and crisp, given their small size:

44004344392_ec8b7b05b3_c.jpg

Whilst the wing lettering and roundels performed equally well:

42243311460_3da85663c5_c.jpg

as did that rather time-consuming masking around the booms top and bottom:

42243311390_2ca7498ccc_c.jpg

Now for the orange panels. Tail first:

43334129804_7c5e3c3280_c.jpg

and the wings?

44004344632_d9581dee58_c.jpg

Look closely though and you can see along those leading edges of the orange wing panels - I managed to introduce a clumsy 'step' half way along on each side:

44004344692_a7799d3bb9_c.jpg

This is of course easily correctable, but you've go to laugh at yourself making such a hash of possibly the simplest of all the masking jobs here... 🤦‍♂️

Starboard boom roundel turned out fine:

44004344952_0e372e2fb5_c.jpg

Port one I need to revisit as I managed to distort the mask when originally painting the roundel. I'cve no idea how but suspect I was too conscientious in trying to burnish it flat around that curve and stretched it. this as you can perhaps see resulted in the  blue ground disc being too extended too far out at the top and too far in to the points of the white star at the bottom. I've all the mask designs for this saved thankfully so  just need to cut a fresh set and respray later on:

43334130054_e5b939820a_c.jpg

Nose numbers?

Again, one of those critical areas I was very concerned about due to the complexity of positive and negative masking between the numbers and orange nose panels. To port the silver strip separating the leading edge of the '0' from the orange needs widening slightly and some touch-ups on the letters, otherwise better than I'd hoped:

44004344862_ab71d3dce4_c.jpg

Starboard?

Really only needs a touch-up where the '0' overlays that vent sticking out, which was a bugger to mask in the first instance:

44004344912_964b48388f_c.jpg

The nose aspect seem to have turned out ok - a couple of very minor wobbles in the outline near the anti-glare that a brush stroke or two should sort out but nothing serious:

44004344982_643ba35b83_c.jpg

Earlier on I'd also darkened the cooling gills slightly with a misting of steel:

44004345162_af8e86c64b_c.jpg

One some aircraft these look darker, on others lighter, and on some, no different from the surrounding aluminium. I just liked the idea here of a little differentiation.

The control surfaces and related parts have also been Pledged and checked, and all have stayed free from any signs of damage:

43146463145_efcee403e6_c.jpg

As well as those various painting repairs, I need to finish the white 'cap' to the roof:

44004345042_59816df194_c.jpg

You recall the problems I had with a chalky jar of Tamiya white so I need to sand and MM that back, reapply the off-white and put in the dark blue borders that separate it from the surrounding metal work as well as fully  reinstating the black oblong at the starboard wing root. Also need to finish painting the canopy framing:

44004345102_7319732af6_c.jpg

Still lots of bits and pieces to do but that's the main plumage in place now:

44004345212_a8e49599e7_c.jpg

I hope it was worth the wait.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 25

Wow,  that looks really amazing Tony. I never would have the patience for that masking orgy. Well worth it. The orange looks really great to the other colours. Very realistic.

Bad news: No exciting weather report from me here today for you  Sorry.🌥️

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Tony !

Brilliant !! that was worth the waiting !

:mike:

The amount of masking is impressive and I was a bit concerned about what could possibly get out !!

Just awesome !! So Oramask rules !! 100% agreed !!

Wait Telford 2019 to show your collection, that way, I'll be there....

Really good one, I'm really impressed !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony. 

Wow this is looking flippin marvellous what a great job fella.   You surely should win a medal if you do exhibit the model. 

I must say that I am glad to see that you kept up the propblade snapping tradition too. 

Amazing, Stunning and lots of other complimentary words fella. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2018 at 6:45 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

I don’t know so much - he obviously had me sussed out as a ‘non-expert’. Can’t fault his judgement, 😜

Never, read my lips ! Never take a retailer argument for true !!

If I can use Alclad, I'm sure that you can do it ! Even in the worst conditions, tiny, non pro compressor coupled with an old spitting badger, I can achieve some good results. I will try Chrome in a few days on my Starfire !!

That just remind me an old woman in an hobby shop in Germany...

She asked me when I came at the counter with a 1/48 AC-47 "Sir, do you know that you need some glue to build this one ??"

I burst in laugh... Then I told her that I have a good 400 1/48 kits in my attic....

She just replied "Ach so you know so !"

Type Fry and Laurie model shop on You Tu... and have a pretty good laugh on my behalf !!

Sincerely.

CC 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony. 

Wow this is looking flippin marvellous what a great job fella.   You surely should win a medal if you do exhibit the model. 

I must say that I am glad to see that you kept up the propblade snapping tradition too. 

Amazing, Stunning and lots of other complimentary words fella. 

All the best 

Chris 

Totally agree, and follow the great idea of our tentacled one....

A digital photo frame beside her !! Everyone deserve to know that this Iron Chicken has functional toilets !!

Seriously, showing the internals and the heavy load of work realised seem to be a must.

Once again, My friend, Congratulations, it's a real pleasure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WOW!!!

This is very much like watching a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly!!!

She looks really gorgeous!!!

...and all that masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting- masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting- masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting- masking-painting-masking-painting-masking-painting has done the trick!!!

I don't really know how you didn't get lost in all that masking work...

but...wasn't she silver a few hours ago???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1