Catching Pictures in the Air

I was going to say if you tidy things on yer bench you’ll find the AWOL part ( I find that always works) but your place looks as tidy as can be. I’m sure you’ll find it along with fresh eyes and fresh Mojo in the mornin’

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey Tony that is SOME lamp huh...

Yoga

Always 'wondered' about that but with withering verts I suspect I'd be breaking me in two

Oh well, nowt wrong wondering whilst watching the local class practising in the Leisure ? Centre.

That door inner panel, I have just looked, its not inside the book so it must be behind you over there under those Wellies

You will find it, as you know but will it be before or after you make a new one?

We shall wait for your report

Yoga?

Hmm

👳

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Keep it up, Tony, and just relax :thumbsup2:

Ciao

20 hours ago, hendie said:

nah, dinnae worry.  We all have days like that (going through a few mesel)

Giorgio & hendie: thank you both for the moral support gentleman.

Nowt better a feeling that being down in the dumps and having good friends rally round. :worthy:

Speaking of dumps I note that Clive King died during the week:

220px-Stig_Dump.JPG

A book that lives vividly in the memory and one that my own children were equally enchanted by growing up.

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I was going to say if you tidy things on yer bench you’ll find the AWOL part ( I find that always works) but your place looks as tidy as can be. I’m sure you’ll find it along with fresh eyes and fresh Mojo in the mornin’

I thank you for your optimism Johnny but whilst the bench is currently spick and span, the floor around it resembles the beaches at Dunkirk and from which nothing returns.... :evil_laugh:

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Blimey Tony that is SOME lamp huh...

D'you reckon if I bunged a UV bulb it it I could get a nice tan whilst working at the bench? 🍊

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Yoga

Always 'wondered' about that but with withering verts I suspect I'd be breaking me in two

Let us learn to fly and free ourselves of earthly pain Bill:

4 hours ago, perdu said:

That door inner panel, I have just looked, its not inside the book so it must be behind you over there under those Wellies

You will find it, as you know but will it be before or after you make a new one?

We shall wait for your report

:laugh:

Best hurry the process along by getting cracking hadn't I?

41612313400_10fd8f879d_c.jpg

Won't detain you guys with further pictures of something you've seen once already but suffice it to say that the new door has not so far drawn forth the old...

After yesterday's weird and frustrating mindset (which I'm putting down to a delayed reaction to having been pumped full of chemicals and having bits of stainless steel probing the innards), upon waking early I plunged downstairs radiant with positivity and got to work, intent on working my way through as much of the snag list as possible.

First up was to deal with the slight 'lip'along the apex of the BT. From oblique shots of this region I'd persuaded myself that this ran the whole width of the door rear, but closer inspection from shots taken square-on revealed these elements to be more in the line of fairings to protect the sharp corners:

43420208601_0652cd7c16_c.jpg

Tucked away underneath also are a slot on either side into which the rearmost set of hinges on which the operable floor of the BT pivots upwards into the ceiling:

28550490027_7d4fcf62c3_c.jpg

The hinges themselves were a reprise of the method used to make those for the flaps previously, though in this instance the slightly larger size necessitated using 0.6mm inside 0.8mm tubing to give the desired effect:

41612313500_9f5be8fa62_c.jpg

After also excising a sliver from the rear corners of the door as well, a dry fit with all three elements in place:

41612313570_c3b9abb56e_c.jpg

As with the flap hinges, these will onlybe glued on once all the painting is complete:

43420208771_0d1c2367c1_c.jpg

With these items now completing the list of brass items needed, these were added to the Iron Chicken's ever-growing nest:

41612313640_48a7efcfff_c.jpg

Those antennae have been separated-out for painting as they need to be a pale grey to match the roof colour, whereas the other brass parts will match the overall metal finish of the aircraft:

43420208791_19acc8b263_c.jpg

The big DF 'trees'still requite a tidy before priming - the blobs on top being plastic road GG'd on to be filed down to give the conical tips of the actual  antennae.

If I get any more done today I'll post later.

One last thing I forget to post in all the chagrin yesterday is that if you have one of those dandy hole punch sets and now too skint to spring any moolah on a tray to fit underneath to catch your disks:

43420208661_dd978ca251_c.jpg

-an old smartphone cover performs quite usefully.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

Looks like you're planning a new episode of the Clangers! I too loved Stig of the Dump as a kid, that pic took me back! 

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Impressive micro engineering!

Thanks Martian. :thumbsup2:

With the steady amount of brass I seem to be getting through these days I'm beginning to regret not trolling over your direction and stopping in at Albion Alloys in Bournemouth to do a supermarket sweepstake....

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :worthy: 

Good to see you're back in a good mood, Tony

Thanks Giorgio. :nodding:

I must confess that it's a relief to be moving forward in the water again...

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

Looks good too, nicely nice

Ta Bill. :thumbsup2:

It is - as I believe Confucius once said - nice to be nice

....or was it the Crankies?

I'm not good on philosophy...

47 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I too loved Stig of the Dump as a kid, that pic took me back! 

Those Edward Ardizzone illustrations were just perfectly suggestive weren't they? Leaving enough room for your own imagination to generate the required detail.

As it stopped raining earlier I took the chicken and nest outside to run a surface integrity check with some primer:

29552303608_21196440b9_c.jpg

Some messy bits still to tidy up as expected around the added brasswork but nothing serious:

28553203947_fc0734e2a3_c.jpg

The flaps will need a little scrape in places to remove any remaining traces of overfill at you can see on the topmost parts of the middle one:

43423078671_799744032c_c.jpg

DF gear, pitots and hinges:

29552303718_dceeb3b6c9_c.jpg

Predictably the plastic I'd glued to the tips of those DF antennae earlier dropped off when handling so I simply melted some 70° solder onto the tip of the iron and dabbed that on to form the pointed ends. I can see though from the above shot that I need to go back and add some more solder to make the ends more conic.

These bits look ok too, though that hole in the top of the 'winged' antenna will need a fill - dab of solder whilst it's out doing the DF ones will do for that I reckon:

28553204107_148628edee_c.jpg

Now to the Iron Chicken itself:

42706520394_5477b27c03_c.jpg

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way that the added foil panels and fairings are now performing visually (though pretend you can't see where I forgot to tidy up the PPP on the lower part of the tail fin above).

A closer look round the other side:

29552303758_1ce3761785_c.jpg

The tailplane too now looks acceptable with a unfying colour applied:

42706520534_62e364f42a_c.jpg

Still some residual messiness to get rid of around those nosewheel doors however:

28553204387_9733b80c58_c.jpg

The canopy frame-working has come up nicely as well:

28553204217_751c9641f7_c.jpg

Who forgot to mask the transparency in the centre of the nose then? :banghead:Never mind - a cotton bud and some solvent will sort that out.

The ducted-in wing intakes have actually worked-out better than I'd hoped they might (I think the uber-shininess of the foil in the raw state always makes me dubious when seen against the surrounding plastic), plus I'm optimistic that those circular masks for the engines will keep out any zealous overspray in the coming weeks:

29552303828_eea206c0f3_c.jpg

Some tidying-up then - which I'll take my time over during the week - but not as much as I'd feared on a beast of this size. Certainly the use of epoxy as an adhesive/filler combination on wing joins has resulted in a practically invisible result. On the visual evidence here I can recommend as well the use of adhesive foil at 1/72 for those areas of raised detail; the one and only drawback of course having to be soooo careful to avoid rough handling as the paint will come off more easily than from the surrounding plastic. A small price to pay though imho.

That's as much as I feel can be usefully achieved today but honour restored a little I feel.

Not sure at what pace the painting will proceed as the coming weeks will get progressively busier - I've been given a lot more leeway to develop ideas that interest me at work, however,  the corollary to this is the need to carry out intensive writing and research. Bit like a day on Britmodeller in fact! Eh what? :laugh:

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your weekends and thanks for looking in - as always much appreciated.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20

Hope your feeling better after your encounter with the surgeon. 

The Iron Chicken is really coming together now, it looks superb in primer looking forward to seeing some colour applied.

Roger

• Thanks 1

I think you have pretty much nailed this build. Its certainly yours to screw up, not that you will do that.

Confident of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Tony,

Great job on priming the beast, surface details are spot on !!

Glad that you feel a bit better, Mojo is coming back for sure ! 

:partytime:

Are you going to use Alclads for the NMF parts ?

Your Boxcar will be a winner for sure !

Sincerey.

CC

Hope that my nurse has been kind with you !! :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Pleased to hear the treatment went well Tony and I hope you're feeling better for it soon :) 

When my back first went back in the dark ages my GP told me that the problem was that we're not built to walk upright; it relies on pairs of muscles across our backs working together to keep us upright and, if they get out of sync, one will tear the other, or pull something out of whack :( Should have stayed knuckle draggers...

The model's looking marvellous under the primer and the level of detail you're adding is, as always, superb. Good job that man!

• Thanks 1

Glad you’re back with your back in one piece. The chicken and her bits and bobs looks great in the primed state. Bravo, all those extra details are really pinging now. Excelent work. Did someone say paint? 😍

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, bbudde said:

Looking great Tony . Hope you feel good at the moment.

Thanks Benedikt! :thumbsup2: I'd add that 'my hair's looking sensational' too, but that'd would regrettably be to misrepresent the presence of hair.... 

On 7/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, Hamden said:

he Iron Chicken is really coming together now, it looks superb in primer looking forward to seeing some colour applied.

Ta Roger: reminds me that I still need to do up a colour plan as to what sequence to lay them down in.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:05 PM, Martian Hale said:

I think you have pretty much nailed this build. Its certainly yours to screw up, not that you will do that.

Gracias your Martianness!

I shall endeavour to live up to your faith.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, corsaircorp said:

Are you going to use Alclads for the NMF parts ?

Sure am Cc. :nodding:

Mainly standard and white aluminium which I'll experiment with by cutting with a steel colour. Never having actually painted an aircraft in this way it shall be something of a test of nerve of course!

On 7/15/2018 at 5:53 PM, giemme said:

with just a minimal tidying up to do

Grazie Giorgio! (With one of my favourite painters looking over my shoulder I'd best do a decent job then eh? 😄)

21 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Looks nice in primer!

Tack så mycket Håkan!

20 hours ago, hendie said:

It's nice to see it all coming together though there is just the slightest tinge of regret knowing the inevitable is to follow

Sometimes I regret the need to actually go beyond priming at all hendie, in the same way that I often prefer drawings to finished paintings...

I know what you mean though: it will be odd to walk in one day and find no more Iron Chicken to do after more than a year.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Pleased to hear the treatment went well Tony and I hope you're feeling better for it soon

Thanks Ced: I gathered from the sawbones that it can take a while to kick in, so currently in that ambiguous 'is it or isn't it?' mode. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, CedB said:

we're not built to walk upright; it relies on pairs of muscles across our backs working together to keep us upright and, if they get out of sync, one will tear the other, or pull something out of whack :( Should have stayed knuckle draggers...

Best not risk matters and get up from the bench then I guess! :winkgrin:

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Glad to see you back making awesome progress with this C-119 Tony, superb workmanship ocurring here ................. of course!

That's very kind of you young Terry! :thumbsup2:

A big part of course is having such a supportive and knowledgeable audience on here to spur-on one's efforts....

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Onwards and upwards 

To the Batspraybooth errr...Robin!

49 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Did someone say paint? 

Yeah! Just been practicing in fact! :wink:

giphy.gif

Tired now this evening after an eventful day so nothing of note to pass on the noo, save that these little gems popped through the letter box whilst I was out courtesy of Linda over in Canada:

42734439944_93db1939da_b.jpg

I was in truth a little put off from ordering from these guys in the past as some of the pictures in the 'engine products' section at the rear of their catalogue were poor enough to give me pause regarding the level of detail being represented in the castings. I'd just like to point out to any prospective buyers that some of the catalogue images do not do justice to the quality of the product - the three examples above have a nice crisp & clean rendition and I shall definitely be buying more from E&T in future - especially now that so many Aeroclub metal engines are becoming harder to source in 1/72.

The item on the left is of most interest as it will feature in the next build after this one (happy now @bbudde? :evil_laugh:)

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Hello Tony,

These engines look ace !!

Never tried it but it look very good indeed !

Bramo Fafnir, so I have some little time before the B-17.... :cheers:

A doodlebug fitted with a Bramo Fafnir...:rofl2:

That will be fun to see....

Poor Fafnir, he will not wake up tomorrow...

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Tony,

These engines look ace !!

Never tried it but it look very good indeed !

Bramo Fafnir, so I have some little time before the B-17.... :cheers:

A doodlebug fitted with a Bramo Fafnir...:rofl2:

That will be fun to see....

Poor Fafnir, he will not wake up tomorrow...

Sincerely.

CC

Oh dear, CC has been on that Belgian falling over juice again! :drunk:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

On a more and very temporary serious note, if the weather is as hot as it is down here in Poole, I would not rush into the paint stage at all. It would be a recipe for a disaster of a pebble dashed and orange peel genre and that would be criminal, given the promise this build shows and all the effort that has gone into it.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1