'But she dressed in calico
For a gambler likes his women fancy'

19 hours ago, perdu said:

I just read ' deluded quest for a badger'

It could as easily have been that either..... :laugh:

17 hours ago, hendie said:

Bill you weren't imagining things...

Badger-Quest-DVD-cover.jpeg

Was a time when Knights laboured upon a Grail Quest.

Nowadays it seems merely obtaining a mammal suffices. #falling standards #mammalian millennials

17 hours ago, hendie said:

ah... wonderful words.  I must print that out and show SWMBO

Just think how majestic it would look on matching robe and tattoos.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

Agree about the comments on appropriate surface finish.

Mersey bowcoo James. A consensus is an awesome thing. :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice curtains el Baroni.

Probably the only thing to get pulled around here of late :wicked: 

Your pulling my leg ain't yer?

Mash.jpg

15 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice Origami work on those curtains and on the rest of the C119 too!

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really like your soft furnishings these little details make a GREAT difference! STUNNING

Thanks CJ & Roger. Glad you're enjoying the soft furnishing phase of the build....

Today's update is small but significant in that the canopy interior is now complete.

Under primer the curtains look vaguely like some kind of cuneiform script. This is probably something obscene in Sumerian:

27603790187_71e546446e_c.jpg

Those colour shots that are available of the curtainage predictably vary in colour so in the end I went with the khaki-ish colour the Pelican 9 ones are at the USAF museum:

160331-F-IO108-024.JPG

Ooh. I just noticed that additional instrumentation fixed to the roof just forward of overhead switches. I recall reading what it was a while back but can't think was it a readout for ILS. I need a squint at the manual again.

Anyway, my interpretation:

41572071665_a863fd1423_c.jpg

As you can see I decided in the end to avoid putting the rails for these due to the sub-human hair thickness of them being so  clearly unfeasible at this scale.

Side curtains:

41572071695_ddf737b63c_c.jpg

After sticking that stray box onto the overhead this will now be ready at long last for fitting to the fuselage:

42474579381_1100ff291c_c.jpg

Having used epoxy again on these (for strength against such small contact areas for gluing) these'll sit overnight curing though.

One rather fabulous thing has happened this week in that an owl family have taken up residence next to our house! Mrs. B had been hearing some odd-sounding squawks in the twilight when shutting up the fowl late at night and finally spotted one of them sitting on the telephone wire on Tuesday evening.

Long-eared owls!

Such magnificent birds to see gliding as silent shadows over the garden. last night one of them perched on the roof directly over our eldest son's bedroom and spent ages calling to his mate across the night air.

Spine-tingling....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

One rather fabulous thing has happened this week in that an owl family have taken up residence next to our house! 

Fantastic!  All I get here is ground hogs and possums, oh and turtles.  Makes mowing the lawn more of a chore than it actually is since I need to keep and eye out for those little low level crawlers.  I'd never forgive myself if I sliced one of those up.   Last year I did unfortunately make sushi sized slices of a couple of snakes by accident - still felt bad about that.

Canopy is becoming a thing of beauty and wonder.  Dare I say it - Fritag-like in it's neatness and quality (Fritageous?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think I will go down the same road should I decide to fit curtains to my Albatross.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Those curtains look fine Tony, and as you said , where would you get "Swish Track" that small?

Owls do you say.

Nowt exotic here, apart from a family of sea gulls nesting on a roof across the road from us.

Three young ones to feed, busy parents... 

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Internals looking splendid Tony, lovely stuff.

Owls? Fabulous indeed - what a hoot... 🧥

When we were staying in a farmhouse in France our youngest, whose imagination always scares her silly, came downstairs in the evening saying 'there was someone breathing in her room'. She'd chosen the one in the loft, of course, and investigation showed a nest of barn owls in the adjoining roof space. Who knew (too whit) that young barn owls sound like heavy breathing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Makes mowing the lawn more of a chore than it actually is since I need to keep and eye out for those little low level crawlers. 

That can be a source of anxiety. :nodding:

We're cautious for similar reasons related to hedgehogs, though having let nature take care of parts of the garden they along with Gawd know how many other sources of owl food small mammals have safe and discreet abodes away from the flashing blades.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Canopy is becoming a thing of beauty and wonder. 

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I think I will go down the same road should I decide to fit curtains to my Albatross.

Martian 👽

It's curtains for you then? 😉

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nowt exotic here, apart from a family of sea gulls nesting on a roof across the road from us.

Maybe it's a thing as I've got older and we've kept our own fowl but even commonplace birds such as rooks and robins  fascinate me trememdously with their behaviour.

Help! I'm turning into Odd Billie!

4221396001_4357775906001_bill-odie.jpg?p

39 minutes ago, CedB said:

Who knew (too whit) that young barn owls sound like heavy breathing?

:rofl2:

Someone's in fine form this evening!

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Magic

giphy.gif

Massive update!

42426891352_d57270dce9_c.jpg

Black instrument 'I can't remember function of' added in front of overhead switch panel.

Apologies for dodgy smartphone pic.

Didn't have me glasses on....

👓

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

160331-F-IO108-024.JPG

Ooh. I just noticed that additional instrumentation fixed to the roof just forward of overhead switches. I recall reading what it was a while back but can't think was it a readout for ILS. I need a squint at the manual again.

Anyway, my interpretation:

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Black instrument 'I can't remember function of' added in front of overhead switch panel.

Without looking it up (which I really must do before firing off these replies!) I would think that it is a standby compass reader, an equivalent to the good old British E2B.

I would say the the ILS is the cross hairs instrument just above the pilots yoke.

BTW where did you find that great  shot, and are there any others of Pelicans' interior?

Incredible work on that cabin overhead stuff, truly the Michelangelo of the aircraft cockpit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Those curtains look fine Tony, and as you said , where would you get "Swish Track" that small?

The Swish Track is well within the Baronial skill set.  But even he might struggle with the hooks.

P.S. I agree re standby compass rather than ILS - it would be a bonkers place to put an ILS (not that this conclusively rules it out...).  

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

!) I would think that it is a standby compass reader,

48 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I agree re standby compass 

Good call you two. :thanks:

I found a high-res version of that Pelican 9  image  and cropped this from it:

2018-05-31_07-36-22

Seems to have been fitted over time in a variety of guises:

2018-05-31_07-32-072018-05-31_07-36-07

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

BTW where did you find that great  shot, and are there any others of Pelicans' interior?

James, it's from the USAF Museum site:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197556/fairchild-c-119j-flying-boxcar/

A couple of other interior shots there also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

42474579381_1100ff291c_c.jpg

Blimey Tony this is looking scarily brilliant. As for them primered resembling something rude in cuneiform, well I'm sure your erudite self knows that a certain naughty word beginning with the sixth letter of the alphabet is firmly Anglo-Saxon in origin, but given them Babylonians invented quite a lot of stuff, being a bit clever like, I'm sure they had an equivalent.

And I really do think your work is Blue Peter badge gold standard.

• Thanks 1

Curtains!!!! What next? A throw cushion? A vanity blind. 😂 Wonderful micro engineering El Barony. Great news about the owls. We had some at the house before this one. They used to use the big sycamore in the garden as a roost. Wonderful birds. My favorite of course being the “teat”*

*sorry.🧥

• Haha 3

We often get an owl calling from the trees opposite, don't know what variant as it's invariably dark when s/he's about. Wonderful sound, I can stand outside for ages just listening to it. Wife thinks I'm daft. She's usually right....

Love the widow drapes, marvellous canopy in totality Tony. Wonder how much we'll see when it's stuck on?!

Keith

• Thanks 1

I hope we can see all that beautiful detail but knowing what gets to be seen inside my Sherpa cockpit its a good job we've seen it now

It is fabulous work for 1/72th scale Tony, what did I say a post or ten ago?

M A G I C

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Curtains? Really? OMG!

Go on Giorgio  - you know that A-10 cockpit is crying out for a little lace:

ecb3b734f87091a678d4aaf7b31f9ada.jpg

21 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Blimey Tony

Sounds like the perfect name for me if I'd been in a firm of London gangsters back in the sixties.

Which  - I hasten to add - I wasn't. 😨 :bobby:

given them Babylonians invented quite a lot of stuff, being a bit clever like, I'm sure they had an equivalent.

I'm firmly convinced the Nazca lines are a risque visual joke and that archaeologists just don't have a sense of humour:

42376942_303.jpg

Even Arthur C. Clarke missed that one!

And I really do think your work is Blue Peter badge gold standard.

I'm not sure about the BP badge but possibly worth a line of Green Shield stamps anyways.

Sometime in 1973 (I was about eight) I actually sent a drawing of an aircraft carrier in to Blue Peter. It didn't win anything on account of just being a random drawing unconnected with any competition. It's possible I'd gotten them confused with Vision On...

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful birds.

Yes. Yes they are.! 😁

Mrs. B and I fell asleep last night with the window open listening to them cackling and whooing outside in the darkness.

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wonderful sound, I can stand outside for ages just listening to it.

I can completely relate to that Keith. 🦉

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wonder how much we'll see when it's stuck on?!

Here's your answer:

4 hours ago, perdu said:

knowing what gets to be seen inside my Sherpa cockpit its a good job we've seen it now

And it's too late to worry about it now anyway - the lid's on the pot:

27627386307_89435aae66_c.jpg

Washi tape - for when you absolutely positively have to keep every mutha on the bench stuck in place whilst the glue hardens:

41776010554_fc8330db8a_c.jpg

Epoxy for strength, and also to fill any errant gaps:

41595445365_4c2a0d748b_c.jpg

Short and sweet and hopefully we can peel that off to find nothing's shifted in the morning.

Felicitous Friday evening greetings to all of you.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Wow Tony the curtains are great and transforms the look of the amazing canopy interior completely.  Fantastic work fella. 

You are very lucky to have the owls there. I see the barn owls flying next to me and they cross the road in front of me as I drive along the lovely route across the Romney Marsh towards Tenterden on my way to work early mornings. Even had a Buzzard  (I think )

Swoop down in front of me onto a poor already dead animal in the road. It was a shock and I had to swerve a bit to avoid it. Caught it on camera though. 

Nature is truly magical and so is your build. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CJP said:

Fingers crossed for you

Much obliged sir. :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nature is truly magical and so is your build. 

Thanks on both counts Chris. :thumbsup2:

That buzzard encounter sounds guaranteed to have set the pulses racing!

Somewhere in this frame is a family of four:

27627424337_b7f0f77771_c.jpg

Mrs. B caught them feeding the young out on that electricity pole late last night.

Quick 'reveal' then this morning with the tape off:

28638243528_1aa0cedab2_c.jpg

The starboard transparency is ever so slightly proud at the rear of the side windows but I suspect this can be corrected with a few scrapes of the scalpel. Port seems fine:

42459554872_78fbf8a104_c.jpg

In this close-up of the nose you can probably detect that the bottom of the windshield is similarly slightly proud of the aircraft skin:

41788793924_c57e30fcd0_c.jpg 

I'd previously elected to leave this unaddressed as on the actual aircraft there is a curved fairing along the bottom of the windshield rather than an abrupt change of angle as the kit would have it:

141216-F-IO108-002.JPG

Some shaping with Milliput should work in representing that feature.

The above shot also gives an excellent idea of the surface qualities of the aircraft finish that we'd been talking about previously: from the state of the airframe and the guy cleaning it I'm fairly sure this is Pelican 9 at the point where it was brought inside (from where it had been left outside on static display exposed to the elements for years) being cleaned prior to the 'restoration' which left it all repainted and shiny.

160406-F-IO108-011.JPG

Note the absence of black paint on the booms behind the engine in outside shots:

071102-F-1234S-026.JPG

...compared to contemporary shots of Pelican 9 on Corona operations:

27641073297_78703a4c50_z.jpg

This seems to have been reinstated on the restored aircraft and I'll be painting it in as well. I like the balance of surface qualities in the above shot and hope eventually to aim for something like this. In relation to which, the fruits of recent colour research involving the excellent USAF colour specs for the C-119 over here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-119/c-119_profile01.shtml

cross-referenced using the excellent FS colour server here:

http://www.colorserver.net/

yields:

42460298722_bf9d10b925_c.jpg

That obviously lies a bit in the future yet.

One last thing before lunch. I bought this recently with a view to reading it on holiday:

41609697865_13551ec242_c.jpg

Look at the original owner's inscription - an artefact contemporary with the subject of this build!

40703827300_a0401f9e1a_c.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Cool! Changing threads Is back!

Laurence likes that.

Laurence+low+res+FINAL.jpg

I got some more time in this afternoon, firstly to work with Milliput building the fairing around the front of the windshield:

41612703845_baa4be79c4_c.jpg

You can see also where I chose to address the difference in height between the top of the canopy and top of the fuselage - about 0.5mm at it's greatest in terms of disagreement which I reckon will be nigh on invisible in terms of altering the aircraft profile in any noticeable way. 

Being in a 'fairing-in' state of  mind  - and not inclined to tackle any massive jobs today - I decided to put my plan into action for representing the not-overly-prominent-but-you'd-miss-them-if-they-weren't-there fairings around the wing roots. As these are in fact a set of curvatures that vary drastically  in three dimensions all the way around, built out of a host out of individual sections on the actual aircraft, there was no way I felt able to build anything remotely accurate from illustrations in the maintenance manual alone:

42463131282_a86fb29b47_c.jpg

If in doubt just map three-dimensions into two by using masking tape to create master-shapes for top and bottom. Trimmed to size and shape and checked against references:

41792225824_a86fb29b47_c.jpg

41612703965_d487fbc7f1_c.jpg

The tape then got peeled off of the aircraft and pressed out flat on a piece of paper:

41792225774_a86fb29b47_c.jpg

...to be scanned into Photoshop:

27642963567_d45b092000_z.jpg

Irregularities in the curved outline are a natural hazard with this technique but really easy to correct later in the Silhouette software. Here's the initial pass using the 'Trace' function just to get an initial 'there or therabouts' outline created:

42463125412_693fbb4eb1_c.jpg

There may be a 'Preference' setting to limit the number of control points tracing creates here but I haven't got round to finding it yet. When refining curves as beziers like this you really don't want a whole bunch of superfluous control points so I deleted about half of the ones seen a bove and then simply used the control handles on the remaining points to orientate and refine the required variations in curvature.

41792222844_058bb21c18_c.jpg

Before committing to cut from metal foil I did a test run to check for quality and size using Washi paper masking:

41612704105_467ea7d31b_c.jpg

On the actual aircraft there's a complex angled seam at the front where the upper and lower halves meet, but on the evidence here I don't think it will show up too much in the end under primer and paint. Nonetheless I tried for accuracy:

42463131582_a4d5f1e347_c.jpg

Rear section:

41792225884_7aa25fccfa_c.jpg

Satisfied that was going to work as a solution I cut the port side from adhesive metal foil:

41792225914_490352663b_c.jpg

There are a number of foil-based setting in the Silhouette software but not being clear enough about which one did what, I simply left the cutter at the Washi paper setting due to the thickness of both materials being similar. If you ever go down this route be aware that when you pull the metal foil off of its backing paper it immediately wants to be a spring!

41612704225_5e5972ff53_c.jpg

You just need to be patient when this happens to avoid adjacent surfaces sticking together. Upper and lower port side in place, seen from the front:

41792225924_c774e85a3b_c.jpg

Happy that was going to work out it was a simple matter to then mirror the design in the Silhouette software to output an identical set for starboard:

41612705485_08c92c81fd_c.jpg

Both sides done:

42463134332_15a40eafaf_c.jpg

A blunt toothpick works well for smoothing down the foil into all those curves, whilst going over it at the end with a folded rubber band makes for an excellent levelling tool to get out any remaining wrinkles and raised edges:

28641588918_1ce2fe17cc_c.jpg

42463136092_685e726164_c.jpg

Overall time to get that job done from start to finish is about 90 minutes. I'm sure that approach is suitable for other tasks I haven't thought about yet as well.

Rainy and grey here today but incredibly humid. I'm off to hydrate with some Martinis and binge-watch:

93cee4ff737948716a798ee0ab2d5417.jpg

Brrrrr......

Tony

• Like 13

immaculate work there Tony.  Executed with panache.  

not-overly-prominent-but-you'd-miss-them-if-they-weren't-there fairings around the wing roots.

so true.

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Tony and thanks for the step by step. Those fairings look very realistic, good job :)

There may be a 'Preference' setting to limit the number of control points tracing creates here but I haven't got round to finding it yet.

I haven’t found it yet either, but I have used ‘Simplify’ to reduce the number of points before adjusting. 

• Thanks 1