Catching Pictures in the Air

13 hours ago, hendie said:

and that's only the first bit you forgot!

Most astute.

Annoyingly. 🤨

I forgot another bit this morning.:winkgrin:

Most of the clientele ignored the freebies so yours truly kept them (plus a substantial amount of others) and got a whole load of camping gear that year.

I've seen the pictures.

Carry-On-Camping.jpg

Watched the season finale just last night.  Very good series.

Thanks hendie - that clinches it. Goes to the top of the 'to view' list.

I need a bit of Gothic now the sun's out. :emo:

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I need to pop an see what Ced is up too.

Basking in a new tool-fest judging by the 'What have you bought section'! :winkgrin:

Seems like forever since I delved into BM.

Sorry to hear you're not getting much time to yourself Johnny. I wouldn't have been able to either when the lads were younger so send sympathetic vibes your way.

Ain't it great being a patriarch? 🤠 🤔

hope the hospital wasn’t too bad.

Nope. Well on the mend and off the painkillers. 

With Springwatch starting on the BBC next week I thought it time to get this thread in shape with a nature ramble first. 

A spider has taken up residence amongst the rock collection on the bathroom windowsill: he/she doesn't spin webs in the traditional sense but distributes a set of miniature cables across every surface in immaculate 1930s horror movie style:

28426384288_f6951b1b7a_c.jpg

Mrs B found an abandoned wasp's nest by the compost heap yesterday too:

41417391075_2280985878_c.jpg

The structures that creatures create are a constant source of fascination to me, I mean, look at the delicacy of this:

40512178700_06994be0a2_c.jpg

We've an old wrens' nest in the kitchen that makes the finest of any human weaving look incredibly crude.

Right.

A slew of valedictory shots to start with as this is the last you'll see of such views from now on:

28447214818_e0e03a9283_c.jpg

41417390965_5c1b9a87fc_c.jpg

The Act of Enclosure is upon us once more:

41417390995_2b5da94356_c.jpg

From the array of clamps, pegs and tape you can see for yourself that this last step was not an easy one. With epoxy all over a range of flat and curved surfaces all at various angles to each other there was a (wholly predictable) tendency for the previous section to slip out of alignment whilst you were adjusting the current one:

40512178580_b0c1c063f8_c.jpg

It took nearly an hour to get everything lined up in various dimensions and secured in place...

41417391065_0918da7769_c.jpg

...paranoiacally checking for any sprung seams before stepping away and going nowhere near this blighter now for a full diurnal rotation of the home planet.

With that closed-up we're entering a new phase of the build now, one that will be largely fixated upon getting outer appearances to a sufficient  - though not slavish - likeness of the original.

Surface detail to take care of first - a long job I suspect -  including a look at scratch-building various antennae and actuators & etc.,

The fun never stops does it?

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

Of course the fun never stops, that's why we do this!

If that spider is trainable, you may be able to find a few buyers in the biplane department......

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

well done Dear Baron,

not an easy beast to close up, mine is now a little bit lower in the stash....

I stay in awe knowing that it is a 1/72 one !!!

Sincerely, that's a whole funny thing at all even when the :poo:

Is'nt it ??? Still trying to swalow my Seafire varnish failure :rant:

2 more days of evening work and no modelling :raincloud:

I will make some resin parts sunday and finish my Frightning !

I really enjoy your thread !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

To echo Bill's comment, now we're talking! :worthy: :clap: 

And yes, it looks from those pics you're in some sort of strange dark mood ....  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

It took a while to go through 95 pages, but embedded in those pages is a very excellent build! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Now we're getting started

:rofl2:

It's just the finishing that seems to so elusive!

(Does anyone know what happens when we reach page 100 btw? 🤔)

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

C-119 really coming together now, shame a lot of that interior won't be seen again!

Thanks Roger: at least we'll know there - even if we can't see them! :banghead:

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You're getting really Gothic judging by those latest pics Tony! 

Awww Keith. You say the darkest things...

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If that spider is trainable, you may be able to find a few buyers in the biplane department

You'd need a whole nest of them for the Muromets!

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

not an easy beast to close up, mine is now a little bit lower in the stash..

You'll get to it one day Cc. It just takes being in a Boxcar state of mind. Glad you're enjoying the build!

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

2 more days of evening work and no modelling :raincloud:

You....you're not a vampire - are you? 😨

4 hours ago, giemme said:

And yes, it looks from those pics you're in some sort of strange dark mood ....  :D 

Embrace the darkness! :evil_laugh:

3 hours ago, Azgaron said:

It took a while to go through 95 pages, but embedded in those pages is a very excellent build! :)

Thanks Håkan! Only another 95 to go go!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Major milestone!  Nice one.  

And that Spufforth book is excellent.  Chalk me up as anither polar exploration obsessive (reading sbout it, that is; not actually doing it).

Hum !

Vampire ?? Gothic ?? Wow ! That's going to be more and more interesting !!

The same kind of vampire than Bill 😈

But when we are talked about in the press, it's more as "Angels" for the stranded drivers :bandit:

Can you figure us in an angel disguise ??

Elvis 's way maybe !:rofl2:

When I finished working at 22h30 I'm too worn to install my mobile Bench...

Angel… That can explain the nuns in the shower !!

Sincerely.

CC

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

28447214818_e0e03a9283_c.jpg

41417390965_5c1b9a87fc_c.jpg

41417390995_2b5da94356_c.jpg

40512178580_b0c1c063f8_c.jpg

41417391065_0918da7769_c.jpg

Looks like thee poor thing's under attack by some sort of crocodile and tortured by sme sort of vice machine...

...anyway I'm only sure about one thing...

once the fuselage's closed, there caan only be more light than in these last pictures!!!!!

poor guys are all very worried by this night flying session!!!:rofl::rofl:

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A spider has taken up residence amongst the rock collection on the bathroom windowsill

Who needs Spring Watch with the Baron on the case? Great photo Tony and I love the Astronaut…

Please could you turn the light on next time you take some photos? I've tried turning mine on here, but it doesn't help.

Great glueing (Batman) :) 

AFAIK when you get to 100 pages you just ask the mods to extend. Fritag has done this before I think. Where is he by the way?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, massimo said:

poor guys are all very worried by this night flying session!!!:rofl::rofl:

Indeed, perhaps you should change the thread title to 'Catching pictures in the dark', Tony..... :camera: :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Fritag has done this before I think. Where is he by the way?

Seems he's keeping dark too - according to his profile he last visited 19 hours ago.....

Keith

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CedB said:

AFAIK when you get to 100 pages you just ask the mods to extend. Fritag has done this before I think. Where is he by the way?

Part 1 of my Seaking build went beyond 100 pages; I didn’t ask anyone - just kept going.  There was a phase when the mods got a bit twitchy about really long threads, but provided they’re happy it’s a genuine build (& who could possibly doubt it in this case?) you’ll have no problem.

Yes. Steve. @Fritag - stop poncing around in a wig and come back to us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Seems he's keeping dark too - according to his profile he last visited 19 hours ago.....

Keith

Obviously nervous in case I ask him for more vortex generators

Or conversely very busy generating art for the hundreds of vgs he can sell to Hawk modellers

Or simply earning a crust to keep him and the lovely Mrs F in trips to the snow...

Who can tell, but I hope he's OK

I just had a traumatic time in another BBS finding we'd had one of our number pass away, unreported for weeks

I still have concerns for others of our own BM, however 19 hours ago for Steve makes me reassured 

A lot reassured

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Major milestone!  Nice one.  

And that Spufforth book is excellent.  Chalk me up as anither polar exploration obsessive (reading sbout it, that is; not actually doing it).

Thanks. :thumbsup2:

The extremity of the poles is just so far removed from our normal domesticity is't it, that I defy anyone not to be fascinated by such strangeness.

I don't know if you've read:

137585.jpg?

Simply magnificent.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Please could you turn the light on next time you take some photos?

Will do.

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Indeed, perhaps you should change the thread title to 'Catching pictures in the dark', 

Let the audience become disaffected I have not stinted in the number of photons used in today's reproductions. :wink:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Great photo Tony and I love the Astronaut…

Part of the old Airfix set!

AIR01741-300x247.jpg

Look! There's five astronauts on the lunar surface there all at the same time! I knew the NASA shots were fake.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

The fact that you hint Steve disappeared after asking to go beyond a hundred pages now puts me in mortal fear.... 😨

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Part 1 of my Seaking build went beyond 100 pages; I didn’t ask anyone - just kept going.

Ahh - that's more reassuring (I can cancel the bodyguard now).

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes. Steve. @Fritag - stop poncing around in a wig and come back to us.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Who can tell, but I hope he's OK

Hear, hear! You are missed at  the Round Table Sir Percival.

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking forward to the rest of the airframe coming together.

For you sweetie - anything! :laugh:

27470296587_c00250e9ff_c.jpg

A dry-fit of major components then to tittivate the old Martian tentacles.

Yesterday's gluing session worked out generally ok without any of the seams slipping whilst the epoxy was curing. The bit I was most worried about  - the join between vacform and upper spar box at the rear - came out far better that I had expected in fact, leaving me more confident of a quality result on the blend between kit moulding and vacform now. One minor annoyance during gluing yesterday was in not being able to get the tip of the nose to closed tight at the front - the resulting gap being only about 0.5mm at it's widest and easily cured with some Milliput.

I remember mentioning this issue a long time back when dry-fitting the fuselage halves but had hoped that I could tape them in tightly enough to cure it here. In the end the angle of the nose meant that all my attempts at clamping it off failed and even the wad of Gaffer tape I swathed it in gave over time. Possibly nature's way of indicating an investment in Berna clamps for such awkward contours in the near future? I know 'The Toolinator' (@CedB)swears by 'em...

This morning's session was confined to a photographic survey of the aircraft with all major bits in place in order to work-out what jobs need attending to prior to scribing.

I thought you might like to see them too?

41617499214_43b27d44fd_c.jpg

1. Hinges for cabin door. (Brass)
  2. Strengthening seams. (Aluminium tape)
  3. Engine lower exhaust. (TBA)
  4. Formation light(?) on fin. (Transparency) - I've mistakenly marked two here in the photo, in fact references only show one on the port fin, and as correctly moulded on the kit.

41617499254_bbdfc3c17c_c.jpg

1. ILS aperture.
  2. Homing antennae for capsule beacon. (Brass)
  3. Pitots. (Brass)
  4. Wing fences. (Brass) These should be outboard further beside the landing lights, not as I've incorrectly shown them here by the intakes. I also forgot to add the landing lights need doing also...

41438017865_e19c5e64e6_c.jpg

1. Canopy and astrodome.
  2. Engine upper exhausts. (TBA)
  3. Port/Starboard navigation lights. (Transparency)
  4. Upper hinges for BT. (Brass)

27470296707_3473e0b9c7_c.jpg

1.  Hinges & actuators for outboard flaps. (Brass)
  2. Hinges & actuators for inboard flaps. (Brass)

41617499384_cf187cb947_c.jpg

1. Antenna 'farm'. (Brass)
  2. Upper wing fairings. (Poss. accentuate w/ Alu tape)

41617499414_71b7f7b97c_c.jpg

1. Nosewheel doors. (Kit part)
  2. Lower wing fairings. (Poss. accentuate w/ Alu tape)

In case you're curious, the wingspan of this beast is just over 46.5 cm and 36.5cm from nose to tail. That makes it officially too big to fit into the display case!

I should have some progress on this to report back with over the weekend but first have to spend this evening stripping some 40 year-old varnish off of a bureau - out with the Rustins it is then.....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

Wow, what a difference a day makes! She is a big beastie though, isn't she.

That gave me a thought too. Instead of packing the Battle and leaving it for 3 months, I might be able to bring it in my luggage as the scribing needs doing and that doesn't need much in the way of tools. Could bring the wheels for the Merc too and re spoke those, that should give me something to keep me occupied!

Speaking of absent members, did anyone ever manage to get in touch with TonyTiger? Knowing he was not in good health, and now such a long gap without hearing from him is very worrying!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, what a difference a day makes! She is a big beastie though, isn't she.

That gave me a thought too. Instead of packing the Battle and leaving it for 3 months, I might be able to bring it in my luggage as the scribing needs doing and that doesn't need much in the way of tools. Could bring the wheels for the Merc too and re spoke those, that should give me something to keep me occupied!

Speaking of absent members, did anyone ever manage to get in touch with TonyTiger? Knowing he was not in good health, and now such a long gap without hearing from him is very worrying!

Ian it is Tony T who concerns me most at the moment

I tried to pm him but no response so far, it shook me up to realise a friend in a different 'place' who'd been having a hard time lately passed on

We need to look after each other which is why I post something even if I'm not doing much model making at the time

Keeps us all in the loop so to speak

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

In case you're curious, the wingspan of this beast is just over 46.5 cm and 36.5cm from nose to tail. That makes it officially too big to fit into the display case!

A custom case beckons then.  I had a few doubtful moments before I invested in one for the Wessex, but I'm glad I did.  It would be a wrthwile investment for all that work.

Ah, dear old Sioux herself around JuJu time - The Banshees at their absolute best and at their pinnacle of creativity

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

giphy.gif

I was lucky enough in me younger days to be conniving enough to get on the JuJu tour with them.  We'd meet John McGeoch (great, great guy and even greater guitarist) before the soundcheck at each gig and he'd let us know what hotel they were staying in.  We'd find the location of the hotel, then back to the gig and John McG would have me on the guest list every night. After the gig we'd meet up with the band and crew at the hotel afterwards. I believe there was some quaffing of alcohol involved now and then.

And as a bonus, I even got to see them in Hong Kong when I was stationed out there. Still have the posters from those gigs

Must remember to put all that in my memoirs someday

21 hours ago, Azgaron said:

but embedded in those pages is a very excellent build!

Really? dammit, now I'll have to go back and read from the beginning again.  I got all caught up in the Gothic imagery, astronauts, spiders, and entertainment

• Like 5

We ALL know where to look for entertainment

And skill

And imaginative exploitation of materials.

And now we find you have been mixing with royalty

Not going to pretend I just became a Hendie fan

Been one of those for ages

My pantheon of heroes has so many of you guys in it

👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2