Catching Pictures in the Air

21 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

...I need a bacon roll. I must go.

From the fog of parts something solid appears (at last)!...

Hopefully the two aren't linked, going from previous encountered times with Kabab shops.

Love the interior completeness contrasted against the work in progress of the exterior.

• Haha 1

This is really coming together beautifully, quite literally!

In my experience, cowl flaps are only opened on the ground, to aid cooling at the near zero airspeeds associated with taxiing, so I think you're safe leaving them that way. Having said that, with the reputation these engines had I wouldn't be surprised if they were opened for extended periods of slow flight, such as a recovery. Photos would be the best confirmation of course!

Not much help then really, am I?

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hopefully the two aren't linked, going from previous encountered times with Kabab shops.

That time you were doing meteorology at Aldegrove - you didn't pop into that kebab shop on Shaftsebury Square as well did you? 🥘 

Many's the  night a stagger home full of snakebite ended up in there with extra garlic sauce to try and mask what might be lurking inside on the lettuce.

Pittas like Paloustes they were!

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

This is really coming together beautifully, quite literally!

In my experience, cowl flaps are only opened on the ground, to aid cooling at the near zero airspeeds associated with taxiing, so I think you're safe leaving them that way. Having said that, with the reputation these engines had I wouldn't be surprised if they were opened for extended periods of slow flight, such as a recovery. Photos would be the best confirmation of course!

Not much help then really, am I?

Yes. Yes you are Ian. :thumbsup2:

I read somewhere as well (as per usual never bookmarked the page, I think it may have been the Star Catcher history) that the flaps additionally would be open when climbing to altitude on max revs, then pretty much closed for level flight as appears to be the case in shots like this:

Fairchild_C-119J_Flying_Boxcar_recovers_

On the kit moulding the cowls seem to be open at an angle *slightly* more than seen above, but I reckon I can thin the outsides down as well as some more tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I never tire of seeing that cargo bay interior.

:thanks::worthy:

Not wondering what it would taste like I hope.* 🤨

*Readers puzzled by this statement may be unaware that dear Martian apparently ate part of his Albatross build earlier. Allegedly.

Righty-ho; a little more now this evening. Kind of enjoying this phase of actually taking bits out of the box and sticking them together. Must be the novelty of it I guess! 

Even had to look at the instructions for the first time in about 9 months as well to check something earlier and felt quite giddy. 

A last bit of interior for Martian - the results of a test fit on the ceiling, which passed without a hitch:

28321729488_1b97bbcf18_c.jpg

It did throw up a slight problematic gap on the seam of the vacform roof, which I've cured by gluing some slivers of scrap as ashim to each side of the seam, so as to file them down to the exact size later on.

Having glued the extra boom sections that go in front of the wing, a test fir of the cowls OOB showed a mediocre fit:

40387330550_4e06d48591_c.jpg

This was cured by taking off about 1mm from the front of the boom along with grinding out the inside of the cowl, seen here in another before and after comparison:

42148020752_c31e900dff_c.jpg

The easisest and neatest way I've found to handle such jobs is with one of these grinding discs in a Dremel on the slowest setting.

Eminently swift and controllable:

40387330450_f103c660ea_c.jpg

The half-round side of the sihrsc is then perfect for getting a smnooth finish inside there.

With the insides cured, I started defining the flaps a bit more realistically. At this scale I felt sawing would give an unrealistic definition so I used a similar method to that I tried on removing all the rudders and ailerons previously - slowly and repeatedly scoring the lines with a fresh blade in the Stanley. Another b & a shot, with the one on the right waiting to be done:

42148020922_b45dfb6d9c_c.jpg

I finished off by defining the seam that runs around the front of the flaps with the scriber.

40387330440_7133bff98e_c.jpg

Plonked on the booms you can see they fit a lot more snugly but I want to sand down the flaps a bit so they don't angle out backwards quite as much as you see here:

42148020822_0a98c6571e_c.jpg

Not by much thought - just a minor adjustment to the visuals.

Seen from this angle  the flap thicknesses look a lot more in keeping with the scale now than previously:

42148020782_f1422eec68_c.jpg

Let's hope this optimism persists for a few days! 🤩

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Rest assured that this particular alien has no intention of eating your or anybody else's models! It just occurred to me that you could have this model snatching a Martian space capsule!

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Really really coming together now Tony :) 

I was about to make a dangerous suggestion about putting some magnets in the wing mounts so that you could remove the roof to show the interior, then I remembered the ceiling.

As you were...

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

(presumably Italeri favouring a build with the lallies out)

Ooooo, in'e bold!

Thanks for that trip around the Horne! :D 

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It just occurred to me that you could have this model snatching a Martian space capsule!

I'd need to super-detail it with a 1/72 Martian occupant.

Not sure my retinas would survive contact with the reference photographs needed.... 👀

51 minutes ago, CedB said:

Ooooo, in'e bold!

Keep Britain Bonnnnna....

I've lost the magnets I was going to glue in this morning.  

Last seen when perched on the metal plate many pages ago taking photos.

Plans in disarray whilst I scour the entire workroom for their 'safe' location.

Annoying.🔭

• Like 2

A little later...

28334863168_6768d291df_c.jpg

Well. I cleaned up the entire bench and surrounding shelves from top to bottom and no luck. The spirit was waning I must confess.

In such cases when all seems lost Mrs. B has a childhood rhyme she learned. Now, like you lot I like to think myself a rational child of the Enlightenment...

Wait, this is Britmodeller, that can't be right....? 🏳️

Anyway, the rhyme goes (in this case, by way of example):

'Wee folk, wee folk

- borrow and lend.

Bring back Tony's magnets just as soon as you can

-for I need them right away.'

The rhyme must be said without any trace of mockery and cynicism or it won't work, and work it has. On many occasions.

Including this one - Yay!!!

41307443915_07656f8a5b_c.jpg

I feel a Spinal Tap quip coming on.

Must....resist.....

In the photo of the bench above both magnets and the metal plate were tucked away on the noticeboard shelf just out of shot on lower frame right.

Directly to hand and in line with my eyes level, so clearly undiscoverable without assistance. :banghead:

Those have now been secured at the CG point using Gorilla Glue:

42161710312_f91cc50645_c.jpg

A final moment of stupidity to crown this morning's foolishness. The magnets kept sliding off to one side due to the liquidity of the glue, whilst putting weight of any kind on made them slide off even faster. Finally it dawned on me to slip the metal plate under the fuselage so that the magnets are locked into position whilst the glue dries.

Magnets: who'd have thought you could use magnetism to hold them in place? 

Oh alright then:

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Nice video Tony, very Bona! :D

Glad you found the magnets. I'm sure the poem helped but so would the old shout of 'Look behind you!'.

Flippin' Pantomime this place.

All together now - OH NO IT ISN'T!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Paranormal modelling going on here, with sorcery to retrieve missing magnets and all of that ... 😱

I'm a sort of scientific-Wiccan-Sufi in outlook these days Giorgio - it pays to cover all aspects in the crazed times we inhabit... 👨‍🔬🌒👳‍♂️ :laugh:

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

As for mis-placing things, that`s a common occurrence at the bench.

If by bench you mean 'every possible life-situation' then I'm in full agreement Simon! 🤸‍♂️

2 hours ago, CJP said:

So now the magnets are glued in is she always going to point herself at north magnetic pole?

It will be the most extravagant sat-nav ever, sat there on the dashboard of the Skoda and pointing accusingly at me as I stop and ask for directions...

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm sure the poem helped but so would the old shout of 'Look behind you!'.

Flippin' Pantomime this place.

Ah, you old trouper Ced.

Will it be Abanazar in Aladdin again for you at the Bath Playhouse this year? I believe your big wand was an outstanding feature of the production... 🧙‍♂️

Considering that they are going to be hidden away in the cowling, Italeri's engines do a decent job of homage to the original R3350 engines:

41310803765_fcb33057ab_c.jpg

There are a number of variants of this engine, the Boxcar using the '85 version (which the above images isn't of). Lots of 3350 photos out there but trying to find one explicitly labelled as the 85 variant is no mean task, however this magnificent shot gives a decent amount of information for structural and colour information:

12440162343_52632def64_b.jpg

Image credit: Chris Kennedy https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/12440162343

As my build is of an airborne one this is about as much of that as you're going to see in the end:

28338478148_fa35361360_c.jpg

Some people have window boxes of flowers, I just have a window Boxcar:

28338478458_bfa6eb8b00_c.jpg

Once the primer had dried I brushed on some Alclad Aluminium, followed by a wash of White Aluminium as a metallic base for further effects. I deliberately hairybrushed this (rather than airbrushing) in order to try and retain a little of the underlying grey from the primer in the mix

The (ignition?) ring was added from 5 amp fuse wire but at this scale and levels of visibility I'll forgo any silliness with building a full on wiring-loom if you don't mind.

After all four engine blocks had received the same metallizing, they got an initial wash of raw umber oils:

41310804165_3251174ec6_c.jpg

Once that's dried I'll knock it back in a few places and then a black oil wash to finish:

28338478268_562c00b69b_c.jpg

Tony

• Like 13

Nice engines Tony, very nice :) 

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Will it be Abanazar in Aladdin again for you at the Bath Playhouse this year? I believe your big wand was an outstanding feature of the production...

Sadly not, it's Peter Pan this year. Honestly, some people never grow up :D 

One feature of these shows is that, apart from our own Jon Monie (who's always a great laugh) they always have to explain who the 'celebrities' are... (You know, the guy that was in East Enders? He played the tramp in 1987)

And no, I shan't be waving my wand this year after the unpleasantness last Christmas... 😨

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Will it be Abanazar in Aladdin again for you at the Bath Playhouse this year? I believe your big wand was an outstanding feature of the production... 🧙‍♂️

:rofl2:

I'm so glad I hadn't yet taken a mouthful of my coffee when I read that, I've only just cleaned the laptop screen!

Very nice motors!

K

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Sadly not, it's Peter Pan this year.

Ahh...with Paul Nicholas playing the hooker I see.

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I shan't be waving my wand this year after the unpleasantness last Christmas...

I felt the judge was very fair in his summing-up all told.

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm so glad I hadn't yet taken a mouthful of my coffee when I read that, I've only just cleaned the laptop screen!

It must have been bloody filthy if you needed a cup of coffee after doing it.

giphy.gif

Sitting here typing this with an episode of Lovejoy playing on the other screen as a guilty pleasure - today we've been mainly making progress! 

This seems to be one of those elusive passages in a build when you feel that things are actually happening with visible results (rather than 'I sanded that for three hours and nothing to show for it in the photo...') Last knockings yesterday evening the the engines had a deeper black wash in a few places, which - with some of the umber from previously still showing - through, produced some nice variations at this scale.

Here they are now now first thing this a.m. with front and rear sections joined together:

41328802595_af3cd6ec63_c.jpg

I always struggle painting bits like this in terms of being able to hold and rotate them in a controlled manner. Here I found another use for old cotton buds cut in half - apart from paint stirrers:

41508128704_697729076a_c.jpg

...they made excellent mounts for painting the engines:

42229855751_e898389975_c.jpg

After sealing with Klear these were then bunged post-haste into the cowlings:

27358887847_60835e7011_c.jpg

The undersides of the booms had received a dose of primer last evening, which in the cold light of the a.m. revealed a certain Vincent Price pallor to the proceedings.

The Masque of the Grey Death :

42229856211_1ef094e71f_c.jpg

All those pencil marks indicate flaws, either due to the poor fit of the kit doors in the closed position or to clumsy bulges of filler that need reduction. 40 minutes of labour with file and buffing felt in the Dremel and all was shiny-cylindery again:

41328802725_48f3b98a23_c.jpg

On to more complex matters - beginning to fit out the interior! First job was to trim-off the excess Gorilla Glue. Not as simple as it sounds, trying to saw through that dried glue with the blade of the scalpel held fast against some rather powerful magnets!

41508128884_f1c031373a_c.jpg

After that I discovered that there wasn't quite enough clearance between the rearmost magnets and the underside of the floor (this due to the  reinforcing 'lip' of of plastic I'd added all around the inside of the join between the vacform and kit fuselage), though this was swiftly sorted by resort to a birr in the Dremel to grind out a channel:

41328802915_fed8531a4b_c.jpg

Then a test-fit of both halves. So that's where the razor blade disappeared to:

41328802825_6057ecd638_c.jpg

Aren't magnets fun? :banghead:

I'd worked out a sequence for shutting all these parts up - based partly on the parts themselves and partly on structural and access issues like the metal reinforcements sticking out from under the spar box, the running order being:

1.Stick floor to port side of fuselage.

2.Stick ceiling to port side of fuselage.

3.Stick spar box/upper wing to port side of fuselage

4. Stick starboard side of fuselage to all of the above.

Almost forgot that I still had oxygen cylinders in the 'painted' pile, so these were first added to the cockpit walls:

41508129004_7ac03b366d_c.jpg

Then, mixing up some epoxy it was down to the main event:

41328803055_14e7bea779_c.jpg

This took about 40 minutes to get right (why is everything taking about 40 minutes at the moment?). Everything at the back worked fine:

41508129164_f19d75666a_c.jpg

But a couple of issues announced themselves up in the cockpit. One was that with the tape tensioning the roof over the cockpit down, the head of the figure standing behind the pilots was too proud so I had to jiggle him to one side, in the process of which I managed to knock the radio op's chair awry. You can see these related issues in this shot:

27358887967_dbe161520d_c.jpg

Predictable with all thsse potentially breakable bits scattered throughout the aircraft but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of judicious gluing and tweezering...

The canopy isn't stuck on at this stage btw, I'd simply taped it into place to make sure that the coaming around the top of the IP doesn't stick up too high and stop the transparencies fitting later on in that region:

41328803155_3c43110f0f_c.jpg

Prior to fixing all that, I'd remembered to add a shim rear edge of the side windows where my enthusiastic filing long ago had gone over the score:

41508129084_326d2ab073_c.jpg

With all thatsettled and left to glue overnight, me ragged nerves required a chocolate biscuit and really strong cup of tea to recover...

41508129304_7c703c1621_c.jpg

With the restorative Oolong thus swilling around the system, the engines were then installed:

41508129294_62b8107c95_c.jpg

It's hard to tell prior to paint but I think the thinning and detailing on the flaps will be a significant improvement. 

27358888087_5684a33817_c.jpg

This last picture is as an insurance policy. 

42229856341_7b86184ab8_c.jpg

See that shiny-shiny on the wooden block in the centre of the frame? That's the remaining magnets.

When I panic later gluing the starboard side on, remind me that's where I left them! :laugh:

Tony

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

t must have been bloody filthy if you needed a cup of coffee after doing it.

giphy.gif

That's bliddy brolliant - I'm going to make one of those later!

Even nicer motors!

I'll pop back in a bit!

K

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's bliddy brolliant - I'm going to make one of those later!

Isn't it? Careful on the non-stick pans though....

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

Loving every bit of those engines :worthy:

Too bad most of them is hidden now

Such is the modeller's lament Giorgio.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

this is coming along swimmingly Tony.   I have been particularly drawn in by the magnet episodes.  You could say c'est magnetifique even.

A quick heads up to you though... you should probably seek the services of an otolaryngologist at your earliest convenience.   I don't think that stuff of that color should be coming out of your ears!   I like how you've put caps on the ends to prevent pushing them in too far - good tip!

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

42229855751_e898389975_c.jpg

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ahh...with Paul Nicholas playing the hooker I see.

Ah, that's who it is, I remember him from 'Just Good Friends'. Strangely I remember Jan Francis better... :Tasty:

Great work on the assembly Tony, despite the small problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 12:07 PM, TheBaron said:

41307443915_07656f8a5b_c.jpg

I feel a Spinal Tap quip coming on...

The magnets tend to understate the... uhhh... hugeness of the object.

Please tell me that none of the design for this build was performed on the back of a napkin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hendie said:

I don't think that stuff of that color should be coming out of your ears!  

I pushed them in too far - that is actually the colour of my mind hendie... 🕳️

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, that's who it is, I remember him from 'Just Good Friends'. Strangely I remember Jan Francis better... 

Put your finger on it..

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Please tell me that none of the design for this build was performed on the back of a napkin.

I am not in a position to give such an undertaking at this time.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Let's hope you don't do yourself an injury with magnets and scalpels while painting!

Never walk past an armoury after swallowing a large magnet I say...

800px-Gersdorff_p21v.jpg

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

To describe the work I am seeing in this thread as magnificent, is probably understating things a bit .............. so I wont!

Brilliant stuff, am loving every bit of this.

Terry