Catching Pictures in the Air

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Those control surface removals

Amazing what a sharp knife and blithe  sense of overconfidence can achieve Roger!

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Harrier airshow routine anyone?!

Magnificently mad Keith! How about a Magnet GB complete with levitating bedsteads and helicopters?:pilot:

15 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Hi Tony. Just spent an intense week reading your entire build,

Talk about glutton for punishment Matt!:winkgrin:

I believe the pilot of this aircraft went on to distinguish himself flying the gunship version later on, presumably in Vietnam.

Appreciate your kind thoughts also.:thumbsup2:

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I still have the 45.

(Note to anyone under 25, that is a vinyl record)

Glad to hear it vicar. I remember seeing them at the Hammersmith Odeon in the early 80s, complete with Michael Moorcock periodically appearing on stage to read poetry. Inspired lunacy of the highest order!

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Not always weighted mind, sometimes it's an aerodynamic balance whereby the nose of the surface is ahead of the hinge point and  moves below and above the main tailplane surface.

Elegantly and concisely explained as always James. Thank you.

No pictures for you tonight chaps but two questions:

1. Can you keep your minces peeled for any Aeroclub E006 Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines in 1/72? My contact in the US turned out a bust dammit.

2. Does anyone make V.1 flying bombs in 1/72 that don't involve buying an aircraft along with it?

:bye:

Tony

Edited by TheBaron
Wrong aeroclub number
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

...you're going to need bigger engines!

I'm bloody well going to have to 3d print them myself if I can't find any of those beautiful Aeroclub jobs for the Annie later on...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Does anyone make V.1 flying bombs in 1/72 that don't involve buying an aircraft along with it?

I recently sent three Doodlebugs to another BM member after he posted in wanted. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's brilliant! Harrier airshow routine anyone?!

Is my memory playing tricks, or did Airfix once market something similar?

Keith

It was Revell with some 1/144 aircraft which I presume was based on the same technology. It is something I intend to try out myself, probably with a Haunebu. Revell are supposed to be re-issuing Hand and Head's kit later this year so it would not be the end of the world if I could not make it work.

Martian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

1. Can you keep your minces peeled for any Aeroclub EP005 Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines in 1/72?

There's a packet labelled EP005 on e-bay UK at the moment Tony, but it just says it's an 'Armstrong engine with prop for a Tutor'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEROCLUB-MODELS-AIRCRAFT-SPARES-PART-EP-005-ARMSTRONG-ENGINE-2-BLD-PROP-TUTOR/202297332788?hash=item2f19dc5434:g:k~AAAOSwN-la30Qs

Keith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

2. Does anyone make V.1 flying bombs in 1/72 that don't involve buying an aircraft along with it?

I don't know of any Tony but I've built two now, one with a Frog Spitfire and the other a Meteor. I have a vague memory of trying to find separate V1's with no luck, although there was one 1/76 scale kit including a launcher but it was too dear.

Perhaps someone will let you have the bits from a duo kit they don't want?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I recently sent three Doodlebugs to another BM member

I've heard of people being sent bullets in the post as a warning but when you get Doodlebugs you must sense that  you're really in trouble.

Baron 'being incredibly nice to Pete from now on':o

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It is something I intend to try out myself, 

That conjures up the sublime vision of you levitating around Telford like Baron Harkonnen this year Martian.....

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Try Engines and things

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

like the engine and things stuff.

I've seen that Ian and Benedikt but as they don't illustrate it I'm wary of the quality involved. I've seen some of their stuff that looks great, and some not so...

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

There's a packet labelled EP005 on e-bay UK at the moment Tony, but it just says it's an 'Armstrong engine with prop for a Tutor'

Well spotted Keith.:thanks:

Sadly that's a Lynx - I got the number wrong in my post last night, the Cheetah is actually E005 in the Aeroclub catalogue and seems rarer than duck's dentures...

8 hours ago, 71chally said:

and R3350s

Oh stop it you. :fool::waiting:🐣🎈

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Perhaps someone will let you have the bits from a duo kit they don't want?

But who could possibly be that helpful..?

What's this?

6 hours ago, perdu said:

You just found one

:elephant::dog::bear:

Thank you Bill. Those are most excellent tidings before breakfast.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

did an Anson shoot down a V1 then

I think one might have done in Warlord comic back in 1976 Keith - but then again the RAF shot everything down in Warlord comic iirc..

...but a B-17 did carry V1s (or rather JB2s as these were called):

07cfd82586602d772e3e5fe0b9600f10.png

:winkgrin:

Now how does the old Revell B-17 compare to the new Airfix one....I'm itching to have a bang at this at some stage.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

postal medeario

PM inbound Bill.

You do realize that once installed on the Boeing those missiles will be referred to as 'Bill 1' and 'Bill 2'....

• Haha 4

Twin Doodlebills.

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

...I intend to try out myself, probably with a Haunebu...

The Levitating Madonna with the Big Boobies?

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I think one might have done in Warlord comic back in 1976 Keith - but then again the RAF shot everything down in Warlord comic iirc..

...but a B-17 did carry V1s (or rather JB2s as these were called):

07cfd82586602d772e3e5fe0b9600f10.png

:winkgrin:

Now how does the old Revell B-17 compare to the new Airfix one....I'm itching to have a bang at this at some stage.

You have just got to do that one Tony!

Martian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wow ! Another great idea Tony !

But I Wonder if those test in the U.S are made by the sailors ??

At china lake shooting range... Must find back my old reviews from the Tailhook Assoc ..

Good one for Bill one and two !!

Mmmmh another epic thread in the future, Raaah Lovely !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Now how does the old Revell B-17 compare to the new Airfix one

I have no experience of the new Airfix kit but I still have the scars from building the Revell Memphis Belle. Mental and physical :(

Photobucket has destroyed the threads but, as it's in my signature, I suppose I should upload to Flickr and edit all the pictures. All 224 of them...

Or take it out of my signature :hmmm:

Good luck with the V1 carrier - a great project (which is, of course, BM speak for 'you must be mad')

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Now the Flying Fortress and that pair of Loons has your name written all over it!

Surprising how many of us came up with similar thoughts - does this tell you anything, Tony? 

:D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Twin Doodlebills.

Between that and the 'Satellite-Catching Iron Chicken', your ability to coin a bon mot is par excellence M. Crisp...

Though coming up close on the inside:

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Or even Perdubugs?

:D

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You have just got to do that one Tony!

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Now the Flying Fortress and that pair of Loons has your name written all over it!

Fear nought Martian & James: the provisional running order for the next few builds (subject to mood, whim and brass supplies) is:

1. Avro Anson

2. Westland Dragonfly

3. Sea Vixens FAW 1 & 2 

4. B-17 mit der big Doodlebills.

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

But I Wonder if those test in the U.S are made by the sailors ??

At china lake shooting range... Must find back my old reviews from the Tailhook Assoc ..

Please do Cc - all research materials gratefully received! 

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Good luck with the V1 carrier

Nothing like announcing it in public to suddenly realize you'll have to now build it Ced!

Actually, it looks kind of fun - I've always had a weird soft spot for aircraft that had other big bits dangling off of them like that as they all without exception look like an unholy cross between Hergé's Adventures of Tintin and Gerry Anderson....

Tupolev_TB-3.jpg

051018-F-1234P-036.JPG

9 minutes ago, giemme said:

Surprising how many of us came up with similar thoughts - does this tell you anything, Tony? 

Yes Giorgio. That you are all clearly bad, bad men intent on causing distress to the innocent....:P

Right. I'm off to Dublin in the morning but plan on getting some more plastic cut tonight. Off for a platter of ham and eggs first....

• Like 5
  • Haha 3