Catching Pictures in the Air

On 4/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, TheBaron said:

I noticed too that there is a second set (outboard of the engines) of those Howler's Besotted Flaps that James gleefully described yesterday, that will also need be-slotting....

C-119 flap reportage

d82a755902721352cdb716f6ec78ec14.jpg

Also illustrations of them in your IPC Tony.

At least you won't have to do what @CJP has had to do with his Alize' flaps!

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:55, TheBaron said:

In Peripheral matters, I've almost entirely abandoned the use of paintbrushes these days in favour of make-up ones:

Confession! He's been at Crisp's powder compact again!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 22/04/2018 at 7:38 PM, giemme said:

I use neodymium magnets at work - incredibly strong, aren't they?

If Tony could find some that were reallllllllly strong Giorgio, do you think he could fix them so that they repelled each other - he could make a real 'Flying' Boxcar then, with no visible means of support.....!! :D

Keith

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

If Tony could find some that were reallllllllly strong Giorgio, do you think he could fix them so that they repelled each other - he could make a real 'Flying' Boxcar then, with no visible means of support.....!! :D

Keith

I don't know, but I'd love to see that ... :whistle::D

Ciao

• Like 4

20 hours ago, giemme said:

I don't know, but I'd love to see that ... :whistle::D

Ciao

Stranger things have happened There are some YouTube videos where modellers have done just that.

Martian

• Like 2

On 22/04/2018 at 4:43 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I've always been under the impression that this is in the instructions?

Encoded in the male gene I suspect Pete....

On 22/04/2018 at 5:33 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I still have the album and watched the movie religiously as a kid.

That might explain a lot.....

On 22/04/2018 at 7:07 PM, CedB said:

but wait, no, there's still plenty to do,

Yew ain't' alf kidding my old china.

On 22/04/2018 at 7:33 PM, The Spadgent said:

which got me doing something crazy of my own.

I noticed Johnny. You're going to need a bigger airbrush and a cherry-picker for that Lanc.....

MMRO_PaintingHangar.55afa2e3099d1.jpg

On 22/04/2018 at 7:38 PM, giemme said:

I use neodymium magnets at work - incredibly strong, aren't they?

Quite unbelievable in relation to their size Giorgio  - have you any idea of the physics behind this?

On 22/04/2018 at 10:57 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I take my hat off to you.

And very stylish you look too Chris.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4wclXhCepELARUTM2egy

On 23/04/2018 at 12:33 AM, limeypilot said:

hate to see the magnets stronger than the plastic bond

Don't worry Ian - the trick with neodymiums is to gently slide sideways to break the strength of bond, rather than a manly heft upwards. There'll a thin layer of something soft on the metal plate as well so that this won't scratch the paint.

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

you most definitely solutionise

I am energized by your encomium James and return to these endeavours with renewed vim. :banghead:

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

and that ice cream looks like it

...isn't going to last very long. Correct! The syrup I used is this stuff, which works equally well mixed into ice-cold milk as a most delicious drink:

1434698665_OWOCOWA%20SPIZARNIA%20MALINA%

Most Polish shops seem to stock it or a close equivalent.

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

C-119 flap reportage

d82a755902721352cdb716f6ec78ec14.jpg

Superb! I want one!

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Confession!

Forgive me Fr. Martian for it has been three weeks since my last confession. I have fallen from the path of righteousness and repeatedly coveted kits and tools.

Here  - I posted this article I discovered about Martian aviation earlier that you might recognize old friends from:

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

do you think he could fix them so that they repelled each other

19 hours ago, giemme said:

I don't know, but I'd love to see that

My guess is that it would end in tears using just magnets on a pole-based mounting as the aircraft would just skate sideways due to the fine tolerances of balance required. Something might be possible using an electromagentic field however, like maglev trains....

Giorgio - anything like that where you work? :whistle:

Good evening chaps. Just a little curtain-raiser for you this evening as we need to cut some more bits off of the kit:

27806142638_277fd39574_c.jpg

Since James's information about the Fowler flaps I've spend the last couple of evenings squinting at the relevant sections of the maintenance manual in order to more fully understand the various control surfaces.

You can see here that each wing has both inboard and outboard ailerons, and the same arrangement for the flaps:

40964964084_cca4036666_c.jpg

From the top those shapes look a relatively simple job to cut around for removal, but the same can't be said of the tailplane I'm afraid:

40784474095_af5868d9ff_c.jpg

I'm sure that there are sound engineering principles behind that irregular shape, but to my untutored eye it looks quite like something Charles Rennie Mackintosh might have had a hand in. My one consolation is that I haven't yet found a shape that couldn't be cut out with the right methodology but at the present I am eyeing that region warily as a potential Nemesis....

My faith in using larger heavier tools in a delicate fashion was renewed here by ditching all the fancy countour saws and fine blades I originally gathered together, instead just gently scoring these outlines with a Stanley knife until you see the white stress line appear along the reverse side. At that point it's safe enough to bend the kit plastic until it shears off:

27806142448_c09ce65c75_c.jpg

Resulting in nice sharp, neat edges.

You can see the lovely job Italeri actually did of the moulded detail for the underside of the outboard flap, but the various hinges for both ailerons are a stumbling block:

40964963954_fc7e17cdbf_c.jpg

You could conceivably spend ages scoring around those aileron-hinges but I preferred to apply Bill of Occam's Stanley knife to remove the whole assembly, cutting out the slots and adding new hinges to the wing later:

40784474185_0e4a4a44fe_c.jpg

That's one wing done, only the other one to do, the inner flaps, tailplane, rudders......:frantic:

Note to self that I need also to compare the panel lines on the wings to those shown in the maintenance manual.

After a day of teeming rain and sodden overcast here I look outside to see the that sun has come out just as it's setting. Don't you just hate it when the universe does ironic. 

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

Stranger things have happened There are some YouTube videos where modellers have done just that.

Martian

Any links? :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Tony, I have no clue about neodymium properties, nor electromagnetic fields at hand, sorry :shrug:

Most excellent surgery on the moving surfaces :worthy::clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm sure that there are sound engineering principles behind that irregular shape,

The elevator. It depends where the hinge line is. It may be on the second line from the front. 

So that would mean there are weights along the leading edge to balance it. 

That way the airflow helps to deflect the elevator (If I remember non powered control surfaces theory correctly).

Also, I suspect the rudders impinge onto the tailplane surface which would explain those diagonal lines.

Of course that could all be garbage. An expert will be along shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

Tony, I have no clue about neodymium properties, nor electromagnetic fields at hand, sorry :shrug:

Most excellent surgery on the moving surfaces :worthy::clap:

Ciao

Sorry to barge in here Tony.

Neodymium magnets are a very fine piece of kit, low mass and high magnetic output means they are ideal for head-phones/ear-phones.

A friend of mine (a bass player) has a speaker cab with one of these magnets in, you can pick it up with one finger instead of a forklift.

BTW Magnetic Fields was a fine album by Jean-Michel Jarre.

Great work on the flaps Tony.

More surgery ahead.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

My faith in using larger heavier tools in a delicate fashion was renewed here by ditching all the fancy countour saws and fine blades I originally gathered together, instead just gently scoring these outlines with a Stanley knife

That's what I like to hear. Another possible alternative for the delicate cuts:

Stihl Chainsaw MS880 MAGNUM

• Haha 10

I use the same technique you used for the ailerons, it works very well. I'd be tempted to do the same with the elevator. IE cut it all off and replace the ends with plastic stock.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Variations of green ?? Look this one has not been restored.

The seats has been changed but that old bird has also saw my father jumpin'out at the end of the '50s

33778819286_fc8e712967_b.jpg

The tonality is also marked. Sorry for my daughter and her snake.

What a really great job you did ! I stay in awe !

Congratulations !!

:mike:

Sincerely!

CC

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Forgive me Fr. Martian for it has been three weeks since my last confession. I have fallen from the path of righteousness and repeatedly coveted kits and tools.

Since when were you ever on the path of righteousness? If you went to confession it would blow the parish's overtime budget for a whole year. Anyway I'm Church of Mars, so there!

The very reverend Martian, Defender of the Bluglecruncheon.

• Haha 4

Hi Tony. Just spent an intense week reading your entire build, all 84 pages! 

You've done some stunning work on this kit, makes me want to break out the gunship variant I have. 

On a slightly sad note I was sorry to hear of your bereavements over the last year, please accept my deepest condolences, and was sorry I couldn't offer them at the relevant time. 

Keep up the Stirling work. 

Matt

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Most excellent surgery 

Thanks Giorgio. The first one is always the hardest isn't it but having got a 'feel' for the plastic with the knife now, it's just a matter of patience when attacking the rest of the subassemblies.

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The elevator. It depends where the hinge line is. It may be on the second line from the front. 

So that would mean there are weights along the leading edge to balance it. 

That seems a fair summary Pete :thumbsup2::

40981701604_92a55f27fb_o.jpg

I couldn't see any parts listed for the weights but reckon your surmise about the angled profile due to intersection of elevator and rudder a likely cause - once I've cut those bits off we can tape them together at an angle and test the theory...

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

BTW Magnetic Fields was a fine album by Jean-Michel Jarre.

I remember when the future was going to sound like that...:winkgrin:

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

great scoring and flappage

Gracias Don Spados.

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Another possible alternative for the delicate cuts:

The split-crotch trousers add a nice fetish touch don't you think?:o

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I use the same technique you used for the ailerons, it works very well. I'd be tempted to do the same with the elevator.

I'm no doubt channelling your superb Battle-surgery here Ian - this method seems to offer a premium of control over sawing away as I've done in the past - with the attendant uneven lines...

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The seats has been changed but that old bird has also saw my father jumpin'out at the end of the '50s

Great photo and family history Cc!

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Since when were you ever on the path of righteousness?

The Devil made me say it Rev. Martian.;)

I'm Church of Hawkwind myself....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I couldn't see any parts listed for the weights but reckon your surmise about the angled profile due to intersection of elevator and rudder a likely cause - once I've cut those bits off we can tape them together at an angle and test the theory...

Not always weighted mind, sometimes it's an aerodynamic balance whereby the nose of the surface is ahead of the hinge point and  moves below and above the main tailplane surface.

The angled cut outs each side look to be to clear the rudder deflections.

Lovely cuts mind!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1