Catching Pictures in the Air

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

Isn't it lower than the rollers?

Don't the rollers equal the height of that rail on the edge of the tray we see rather than the whole deck?

I think you're right Bill - nice observation.

I think the deck is lower than the rollers - but only just.   The camera is located higher than the deck - thus we can see the top of the boxes that the keyhole thingies sit on.... given that vantage point, if the deck was the same height, I'd expect to see the front edge (even just a tiny bit) of the longitudinal spars running the length of the deck appearing just above the rollers - I don't see that..

I think the upright yellow protuberances you see on the front of the roller is a continuation of that longitudinal spar.

For me, I think the rollers are higher than the deck sections

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Anychance some sort of measuring deeevice(Stanley tapemeasure or si-mu-lar)can be brandished around noo layve

so that we can get a grasp of it's dimenshee-er at all,at all dear fellow.

Here you go:

33156693754_ff05a736d7_c.jpg

300mm x 60mm x 70mm

Just remember to plug the part about it being a bead-lathe and therefore has potential use for feminine crafts as well?;)

This was the one I went for:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142124535603?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In my previous I pegged this at £40, actually it's only £35 (€40), just to add to its lathe-appeal...

• Like 4

Ta Tone.

Is le moteur a variable speed variety I vonder?,you know,not much speed and lotsa feed(see below).....

Some clever sort must've come up with a tool holder(steady Cedders)and tool tips(steady again Cedders)so that

one can turn soft metals(mild steel,brarss,aluminium,etc)forrit by now I'd imagine.

(thinking of bits for the RC off road racer and RC Tiger 1)

• Like 3

Superb looking duck 'eads and stuff. Good points made about compromise, scale limitations and laws of physics strength wise (although I'm a tad disappointed you haven't (yet) come up with a way of scaling down molecules and atoms to 1/72...but we are only 16 pages in!). I think there will always be some scale creep and pay off, so we have to try and pull off some sort of Trompe-l'œil, with shading, transfers and other blags etc to create the illusion of scale. Oh boy though, all these gizmos and stuff. 'fraid I'm just gonna have to visit evilbay and get one of those lathes, some of Hendie's recommended silicone putty, and an Automatic Greenhouse Window Opener Replacement Cylinder...oh erm wrong thread for the last item...getting a bit carried away...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

I may well invest in one myself.  (actually, I'm a little jealous!)

At the revised price in my above post, why wouldn't you? :nodding:

2 hours ago, hendie said:

Given the price of some kits... this tool is a bargain.

I may well invest in one myself.  (actually, I'm a little jealous!)

At the revised price in my above post, why wouldn't you? (I shall just keep repeating this phrase until you do.:nodding:)

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

youspinmerightroundbabyrightroundlikearecordbabyrightroundroundnow

Eeee. I'm all dizzy Gromit. Whee!:wacko:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

And finally the (apparently) mandatory Dbl-E scores

Oooh - nothing gets past you! There must be something in the Bath water....:evil_laugh:

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

I hear Father Ted has opened a confessional near to you, er, should you?

Back at Christmas myself and Mrs. B were visiting friends past who live over in Co.Clare. During the visit decided to go for a drive out into the wilds near the Burren for a winter walk. The kybosh was firmly put on that plan however when parking-up, they ran the wall of their tyre into a limestone outcrop and it went instantly flat, leaving us out in the middle of nowhere with the car tilting precariously into a ditch. The only way home was to call a taxi from the nearest town and as the place we were stranded in wasn't possessed of a specific name, I went on Google maps to see the nearest landmark. This was - and I kid you not - the only feature of note nearby to direct the taxi to:

:mental:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Should the original deck height, based no doubt on the kit's decking height, not be where it was at first?

I hear you Bill but have a look at this and see if I'm missing something as I'm not convinced it's wrong:

33959196106_f048ab3b92_b.jpg

The rectangles in each image are of equal height and the deeper deck certainbly look more accurate to me than previously (even allowing for the slight difference in elevation between the two photos)

1 hour ago, perdu said:

that rail on the edge of the tray

I'm a tad confused by that Bill. Which rail? Seen from inside particularly (the Star Catchers history has a number of such shorts), the rollers are indeed slightly proud of the cable deck level as you say. Once I've evened off the end of the deck I'll add the mounts for the rollers as you see in the reference shot.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Doesn't that beat trying to persuade the Expo drill not to wobble under power whilst skimming 'meat' (secret guild trade name for 'stuff') off the target stuf

Why does I hear you saying this in the voice of Bob Hoskin's character from The Long Good Friday:D The gizmo looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hendie said:

For me, I think the rollers are higher than the deck sections

Agreed. They'd have to be if the retrieval cable has to run out and be pulled back in over them, otherwise it would simply catch on the edge of the deck. 

There's also what I recall being referred to as a 'sheave' to add to the ceiling directly in line with those lower rollers; this being an extra overhead roller that was used to assist pull the film bucket upwards to clear the lower rollers as it was being drawn inside the aircraft.

I've just noticed I need to raise the sidewall sections that the stations run down into as well along the edges of the deck. This build just turned fractal. I think I say that every build...

Addenda: I missed those last few posts:

50 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Ta Tone.

Is le moteur a variable speed variety I vonder?,you know,not much speed and lotsa feed(see below).....

Fixed speed only Miggers. I'm no electrickeryician but would some kind of variable power control between the psu and lathe let you vary the rate?

26 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Superb looking duck 'eads and stuff. Good points made about compromise, scale limitations and laws of physics strength wise (although I'm a tad disappointed you haven't (yet) come up with a way of scaling down molecules and atoms to 1/72...but we are only 16 pages in!). I think there will always be some scale creep and pay off, so we have to try and pull off some sort of Trompe-l'œil, with shading, transfers and other blags etc to create the illusion of scale. Oh boy though, all these gizmos and stuff. 'fraid I'm just gonna have to visit evilbay and get one of those lathes, some of Hendie's recommended silicone putty, and an Automatic Greenhouse Window Opener Replacement Cylinder...oh erm wrong thread for the last item...getting a bit carried away...

Thanks for that Tomo. Sane sentiments sir. :thumbsup2:

I'm beginning to gain an inkling that scale vs. illusion will be quite important in not having bits drop off later!

Buy lathe.

Buy putty.

Then I won't be the only one being bankrupted by this thread! :lol:

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

In my previous I pegged this at £40, actually it's only £35 (€40), just to add to its lathe-appeal...

Unfortunately as it comes from Hong Kong, with the now ever increasing likelihood that it will be intercepted by HMRC, by the time we pay VAT (& import duty??) and worst of all the thieving barstewards at the Royal Mail (or is it Parcelforce?) their  'collection charge' we'd be looking at probably more like 55 squid for one. I do fancy one too though, but have absolutely no idea what I'd use it for!

Keith

• Like 3

Tony look at the left picture along with the right one

The shiny rail down the starb'd side looks to be pointing pretty well at the top of the roller but the floor seems lower

Using your useful photos as a guide and using the comparison rectangles I'd say the hefty metal bases of the yellow 'sheaves' with the duckybillititis would raise it higher and cover most of the discrepancy I see

Those bases must be half an inch or more thick and would cover a lot of the difference for me

Still enjoying this one, its a cracker

b

(ps Keith, if you get one I might pop over to Welsh Wales and borrow it        Twice a week   ;)  )

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I do fancy one too though, but have absolutely no idea what I'd use it for!

You'll never know unless you buy it Keith. Catch-22!:D

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

The shiny rail down the starb'd side looks to be pointing pretty well at the top of the roller but the floor seems lower

I can be thick as the proverbial dual lengths of wood sometimes Bill so bear with me. Doth mean this bit of the floor with the silvery edge arrowed here?

33158001114_fcac15f277_m.jpg

That section tis the edge of the removable central floor-panel that would usually cover the cable trough in flight to stop the crew falling down the cracks. The actual floor deck level is the one it's resting on ( as indicated by the parshully covered silver strip it's sitting on top of.

• Like 2

So I'm right

The floor is lower than the roller with additional for the guys to walk on

;)

Another interference coming

Tell me to sod off if you like

The two ducklets, will you be removing part of the tube you've installed between them?

in that picture I see the pair of braces (call 'em whatever, they seem to brace the arms in action) and the outer part of the separator to the right of the actual rod which shows between the duckholes

Good material for making the rods and associated dooberreys stand out

As ever in a chap's build, - please feel free to tell me to "Do one!"

I know the things as drives me are blarry stupid some times  :)

b

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perdu said:

So I'm right

:rofl: You'll be walking the plank in a minute Barnacle Bill of the Black Wasp.:pirate::whip:

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Tell me to sod off if you like

Sod o.....;) :fraidnot:Wouldn't do it. I likes yer company shipmate and you help me works things out. Who could take offence at that?

8 hours ago, perdu said:

The two ducklets, will you 

If you mean hollowing-out to widen the internal diameter then :fraidnot:

Here's why. 

1. In bearing the load of the extended poles and recovered payload later this

has to act as part of a kind of lever/fulcrum arrangement and I don't want to weaken it any further.

2. With the retrieval poles fully-extended through the ducklets towards us, you'll not be seeing very much of that interior tunnel/channel/separator.

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I know the things as drives me are blarry stupid some times  

It's the same with all of us or we wouldn't be on the forum in the first place!

Seriously - you gotta buy yersel' one these mini-lathes Bill. It's a complete giggle.  I'm already considering a candelabra for the flight deck...

More this evening.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 3

Evenin' all.

A bit slow and methodical today - nothing too exciting as happens sometimes when you're at that stage of having to work out what level of detail is going to be required on the various parts of the structure. As the rear of the aircraft is going to be the focal point of this particular build I want  make sure that area gets sufficient attention, so today was largely a blitz on getting the rearmost rollers fitted. First task therefore was to finish boxing-in the rear of the cable deck:

33976469756_de15817ef1_c.jpg

On the reverse of that girder-like form is some kind of hydraulically-operated latch:

33976470026_12c629d616_c.jpg

I've no idea at what point in the recovery this is flipped over or what the exact purpose of it might be. You're also not really going to see it at the end either, but this is Britmodeller right?:D 

The two sets of rollers don't meet exactly in the middle - there's a kind of grooved channel (at 1/72 about 2mm wide) through which the main recovery cable runs. This (yay!)  required some lathe action with a v-shaped chisel:

33976470256_baa9cc1540_c.jpg

It kind of resembles the puck thing from a diabolo here:

33976470886_ca7605f310_c.jpg

It's a puzzling shape as it's certainly not cylindrical like the accompanying rollers and no two shots are alike due to differences of angle and shadow. As it has a curved top that stretches downward with the channel continuing in it, I'm just cutting this puck to mount at an angle matching reference photos.

The rollers have been cut to size and polished up a bit in preparation for using them as spacers to attach the mounting brackets that hold them in place:

33976471266_f09a659f70_c.jpg

They won't actually be attached until after paint as it'll be a nightmare to mask all these little bits and rather risks pulling-off delicate bits along with the tape afterwards. Speaking of nightmares, a set of ducklings to match the ducklets for the pole mounts, this time even smaller:

33976472106_ed0fbe4e8c_c.jpg

Two of them are thicker than the others to match the greater width of the central two that hold the cable channel in the centre, the others are all slightly thinner. One or two of the ones you see ended up over-small so I built some extras after seeing that in the photo.

These above bits felt worryingly lightweight when sanding them down but once TETed in place, I think they'll be secure enough after a night setting - the rollers don't weigh much and eventually the whole row of parts will be glued together to distribute the weight along the line:

33976468366_33a550f84a_c.jpg

After that, a quick final check with the rollers for scale:

33976468626_b800f28d28_c.jpg

That looks ok aside from bit of reshaping on the two innermost brackets to make them match the others more closely in profile but I'll take a proper and longer look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes. Still, one significant part of the build attacked today anyway.

Oh. nearly forgot - I found a decent piece of colour film of one of the early Corona recovery missions. Anything else moving-image-wise like newsreels has always been in b&w so this makes a nice change. Some lovely early 60s saturated film stock!

I hope you're own evening's have been going ok compadres. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 11

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Lovely work Tony. 'Nuff said. :) 

Gracias Ced, but regrettably only if the world is turned through 180° (see below).

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Would that lever thingy be a cable cutter.....just in case?

That's a good thought Ian.

I have a shot though of it rotated round to lock over the cable during recovery operations - I don't know if that position meant it was ready to cut through in an emergency, or just acting to stop the cable jumping out of the central groove if turbulence or slipstream made the relative elevations of the aircraft and capsule vary suddenly? I don't know that I'd fancy being on the cable deck if that cable did part and it whipped back under tension....

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Blimey, talk about baggy trousers

:nod:

Lovely work with the rollers m'man, I might put some little turning jobs your way, its the bees-knees that little gizmo

Cheers Bill.:thumbsup2: 

Is mini-lathe addiction a thing yet? I believe I maybe in the early throes....

The Short Good Friday (update)

Right. No beating about the bush. All my blather about coming down with fresh eyes this morning blahdiblah. What's wrong with this picture?

33871592922_db8dbafaf8_c.jpg

Yup. Some feckwit has built his roller system up the wrong end of the bleedin aircraft!!!! Seriously, how obvious does a problem have to be before I'll notice it?

giphy.gif

It should of course be down here at the rear where the slots for the pole mounts are at the rear:

33216441333_99d1445580_c.jpg

The only valid response to this of course raucous laughter.

Cosmic

gales

of 

the stuff.

:rofl::rofl:

An absolute cracker of a SNAFU eh? :doh:

The good news is that with the central aisle being the same width at both ends, that part at least can can be salvaged. Outboard of that I'll not only need to re-position the brackets, but re-do the rollers for length, if not width as well. By eye there we need to lose a minimum of 6mm across that rear, possibly more - I'll measure up in due course.

I'll come back daisy-fresh and wade into that wreckage over the weekend.

For the rest of Good Friday afternoon we've a film double-bill of the original Day of the Jackal, followed by Arrival. I also had a smoked ham on slow-cooking overnight with the view to knocking up a batch of Scandinavian pea and ham soup later.

Enjoy yourselves and more in dew coarse.

Tony

• Like 11

OK everybody, round to Tony's for soooop laters

Not, as you say, a big deal

I look upon THAT kind of thing as NFABB

And I expect to have much more of that kind of thing, to hell with 'Down With' it Fatter Ted

• Like 1

Roller-ing on the floor laffing! Ooops! At least you spotted it before trying to fit it in and wondering why it won't go.....

Enjoy the soup, hope you remembered to turn the oven on.....

Ian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The two sets of rollers don't meet exactly in the middle - there's a kind of grooved channel (at 1/72 about 2mm wide) through which the main recovery cable runs. This (yay!)  required some lathe action with a v-shaped chisel:

33976470256_baa9cc1540_c.jpg

That groove makes the lathe purchase all worthwhile, even if you never use it again...:P

I jest of course it's bound to get loads of use, thinking of purchasing one myself. The derrière detailing is coming along nicely.

Well - I'm really - not to mention shamefully - late to realise that this is a must-follow build :blush:  But I'm here now if there's room for a little one?

I love this quality, multi-media, top-tip, new tools type stuff.  And who knew there were such things as bead lathes - and for less than 40 quid (and why hasn't Ced bought at least two?).  I feel eBay calling me......

And - even if hadn't been enthralled by the build - I'd have realised from the dodgy types contributing to the thread that this was one to watch :)

Great work Tony.

BTW - I think you should get yourself some proper casting silicone and pouring resin - you'll find it a doddle and fun and really useful.

Steve

• Like 3