Catching Pictures in the Air

I thought I'd tuck this in as a mark of intent for the next build, although I don't intend any serious work commencing on it for at least a week or so yet: Italeri's Fairchild C-119 G Boxcar from 1985.

I think this is going to be fun, and slakes two of my particular thirsts - cameras in the sky and in orbit - so let me explain....

Backstory

'When Harmon touched the capsule, he jerked his hand back because it was hot. Then he touched the capsule again and it wasn't really hot, but it was quite warm...Harmon was the first person on Earth to feel the heat of reentry.' 

Corona Star Catchers, p.88

http://www.nro.gov/history/csnr/corona/StarCatchersWeb.pdf

As the Cold War developed throughout the 1950s, the increasing vulnerability of aircraft to interception led the US to foster 'national technical means' in order to conduct surveillance of the USSR (amongst other targets) from orbit. This led to the inception of the Corona program. This first generation of US spy satellites -  more accurately referred to by their 'Keyhole' security designation eg. KH-4 - were film-based (this was long before any digital downlink capability for imagery remember) and faced the non-trivial problem of returning the exposed film back to Earth from orbit for development and analysis. Think the beginning of the film Ice Sation Zebra and you get the idea.

After a succession of problems, the first operational 'take' was returned to Earth in August of 1960. Initial resolution was in the range of 35-40 feet (depending on atmospheric conditions) but over the course of the decade this resolution drastically improved with each successive generation of KH imagery. The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum has some quite exceptional KH-4 images in high resolution here:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/search?filter[set_name]=Corona Program Exhibit Posters Collection

These will let you see both the improvement over time in resolution, as well as the scale of the context images in relation to enlarged sections.

There's an evocative contemporary USAF film here that gives an example mission profile:

What I'm going to do here  is turn the 'G' kit version into a 'J' version that was used to collect the returned film buckets in mid-air. You can see this terminal part of the mission illustrated here:

aerial-recovery-of-capsule.jpg

Although this is a later graphic showing the C-130, the procedure for the C-119 was effectively identical.

The aircraft I intend building is 'Pelican 9' (s/n 51-8037), flown by Capt. Harold E. Mitchell, responsible for the first successful Corona film bucket collection. The National Reconaissance Office maintains a decent online Corona archive here:

http://www.nro.gov/history/csnr/corona/index.html

which includes an excellent oral history of the recovery crews who flew these missions:

http://www.nro.gov/history/csnr/corona/StarCatchersWeb.pdf

The best book in print currently on the Corona missions is Eye in the Sky: The Story of the Corona Spy Satellites, ed. Dwayne A. Day et.al.  Although thoroughly researched it is a typical aerospace history in being drily technocratic and lacking any real critical perspectives on events. William Burrows'  Deep Black provides a useful (and more readable) historical account of the transition from aircraft to orbital reconnaissance systems. For basic information on 'Pelican 9' I'm relying on the excellent Aerofax volume Fairchild C-82 Packet and C-119 Flying Boxcar, by Alwyn T. Lloyd, as well as the Starcatchers publication listed above, this latter volume has some superb interior shots of the rear of the recovery planes, showing details of the recovery gear that I've not seen anywhere else.

The aircraft itself is currently preserved at the National Museum of the US Air Force:

160406-F-IO108-010.JPG

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/197556/fairchild-c-119j-flying-boxcar.aspx

Now a little about the kit:

33153111132_e1060f25c9_c.jpg

I bought this second-hand off a gentleman online who had packed it immaculately between layers of Co-op paper:

33153115782_c1db607ed3_c.jpg

A gert big instruction booklet and canary yellow decal sheet (which I probably won't use anything from):

33153111482_7fd359e3ff_c.jpg

The runners:

32465654734_5b2e98caf6_c.jpg

Notice anything missing in the above shot btw? No wings! I just had a mild coronary until I dashed back to the box and found them under the bottom layer of paper which I hadn't turned over. Not an auspicious start!:lol:

33153112372_7b4ebdc79a_c.jpg

I'm not sure yet how accurate some of that interior is, so the jury's open on how much will still be there by the end.  Same for what's up inside the front end (along with some tasty sink marks...) Is that a bullwhip on the port side behind those fire extinguishers?:yikes:

33153113782_812d872aac_c.jpg

The engines are less than over-whelming however.:crosseyed:

33153113392_61543e48b6_c.jpg

As the kit is a 'G variant that would make these Wright R-3350s, which would also be suitable for the version I intend building I think. I'm not happy with the way these look here however - I'm wanting to replace one of them with one of these from Aerolines for a reveal possibly:

https://www.modelchoice.net/catalogue/aircraft/engine-engine-set/wright-r-3350-al-7013.html

However, I'm throwing this open to the floor for any eagle-eyed engine experts to correct me if that's wrong in relation to this:

640px-Fairchild_C-119_engine_detail_(N15

It's kind of hard to tell...

This is also going to be a lot bigger than I imagined!

33153114142_b19ae94a9a_c.jpg

A glimpse down the dance hall:

33153114362_af3c765ebe_c.jpg

There's going to be some fun kitting this out for sure. Look at all those bloody windows though...

33153115142_7916ae063d_c.jpg

Gawd...lots to pop out later.:shocked:

Aside from doing something about the engines if I can, the biggest tasks are to built a new 'J'  ahem beaver-tail instead of the 'G' ahemahemclam-shell rear door, build new aerial arrays for the nose, and do up the interior with all the various booms, winches, platforms, collection drum etc. I had toyed with some kind of 'capture' scenario with the aircraft it in flight dramatically snagging the parachute in the trailing wires:

cor13h.jpg

but it would just be too big to store anywhere with the chute dangling backwards from the booms.

I'll need to go through the kit in greater detail now and start comparing it to references shots in order to do up a job list. 

Thanks for reading!

:bye: Tony

• Like 23

I actually enjoyed this kit, it went together well and the interior detail was a big bonus at the time. 

I was happy with the engines, but I didn't open the cowlings and they won't come close to those 41 piece resin jobbies!

Both of the above will fall short of your expectations though, and I I just know you're going to make a right meal of this one!

here's that pic again, just to cheer you up

C-119J_satellite_catching_gear.jpg

• Like 6

I've got a nice spot up the bar for this one with a good view of the telly.

"I'm not sure yet how accurate some of that interior is, so the jury's open on how much will still be there by the end.  Same for what's up inside the front end ..."

You can see loads of detail Tony, absolutely loads...best be safe than sorry eh :devil:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Oh, he wants to know can he watch again too please Tony...:dinosaur:

Welcome along Keith! You have to stop him slashing the seats when he gets excited though - I haven't finished paying for all the velour since you got him jacked up on ice-cream in the last show...

33 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I actually enjoyed this kit, it went together well and the interior detail was a big bonus at the time. 

I was happy with the engines, but I didn't open the cowlings and they won't come close to those 41 piece resin jobbies!

Both of the above will fall short of your expectations though, and I I just know you're going to make a right meal of this one!

here's that pic again, just to cheer you up

C-119J_satellite_catching_gear.jpg

Most thoughtful James :unsure: I'm only now just starting to realise how involved this might become. 41 pieces....! I hadn't read that bit.^_^ I think I need the turbo compound postwar version (Aero Line 7015) though rather than the 7013 I posted the link to above. 

24 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

I've got a nice spot up the bar for this one with a good view of the telly.

"I'm not sure yet how accurate some of that interior is, so the jury's open on how much will still be there by the end.  Same for what's up inside the front end ..."

You can see loads of detail Tony, absolutely loads...best be safe than sorry eh :devil:

Come aboard Tomo.  Welcome to the Boxcar Baroque Extravaganza! No detail knowingly left behind.....

25 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Epic epicness, Tony.

Let me move that salmon and get you a seat Cookie.:thumbsup2:

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

Sorry I'm late in, just been to the bar

Got my first pint in

Beaver?

Clam?

Such strange terminology, I'm glad I have a day or two to bone up on them

They're the only flavour of crisps we do...:cyclops:

• Like 5

Are you going to rescribe it all Tony? Think I got as far as finishing the upper centre section of the wings on mine before it went back in the box. I'll finish it one day, really like the Italian option.

Little t has been banned from ice cream for life, after the episode in Ben & Jerry's. When he ate Ben & then Jerry...I promise to keep him on his lead.

K

• Like 2

Great intro Tony :) 

Sorry I'm late - I've been watching that video... bad man, throwing his cup out the back. Hey wait, you could model him doing that! :wicked:

What's he doing at home? Plucking Papayas? I think that's what he said... (8:48)

I skipped the drive into work and went to the briefing - he's drinking coffee again!

"The 119 was never designed to do the kind of job we're doing. When we take off we're about 4,000lbs overweight". Er...

"Seems like we rolled down that runway forever" I wonder why...

He finally gets his poles out at 13:00. 34' long. Crikey.

Part 2 is the exciting bit. Gives you buck fever. "Number of capsules caught by your crew? Zero." Uh oh.

Here's the exciting bit:

Pilot line up, clench buttocks - missed!

Second time lucky!

"Man has learnt... to catch... a falling star"  :crying:

• Like 6

Room on the front row, but as always I'm sitting middle left by the usher. I get first pick of the choc ices, raspberry mivis and FAB lollies :).

Hung from the ceiling, Ced style (well hung, mind), with all rods deployed. 

:giggle:.

Superb subject with great introduction and references. The PDF is over 200 pages. I like a free read :).

You'll need a nano-saw or two for those tiny windows. If you buy four of those engines, that will be 164 parts on the engines alone :o!

Engines N Things do quite nice ones. I know some of their engines have been said to be not the best, but I have a fair few and they're all really nice (especially the Gnome-Rhone ones in 1/72). 

You can download a PDF catalogue here.

http://www.planet.eon.net/~engthg/

I normally order a few by email; service is good and delivery fast and very reasonable postage.

Looking forward to this; NMF and what may well be international orange (?) and spy spacecraft 🚀 .

Lovely :).

Good luck on it Le Baron, enjoy!

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Tony, can only stay as long as the tide is out.

I'll get a jetty rigged for longer stays.:D

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Are you going to rescribe it all Tony? Think I got as far as finishing the upper centre section of the wings on mine before it went back in the box. I'll finish it one day, really like the Italian option.

Little t has been banned from ice cream for life, after the episode in Ben & Jerry's. When he ate Ben & then Jerry...I promise to keep him on his lead.

:lol: I'm moving the hot-dog stand from the foyer, just in case....

I'm re-considering the scribing requirements on this one Keith. There's some excellent close-ups here:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54554&mobile=off

that need some thought as to the best method to approach various  rectilinear patternings you see in lots of shots of this aircraft. I'm not persuaded that scribing will be an appropriate method for a lot of this, especially  as it will involve metal finishes in larger regions...

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Great intro Tony :) 

Sorry I'm late - I've been watching that video... bad man, throwing his cup out the back. Hey wait, you could model him doing that! :wicked:

What's he doing at home? Plucking Papayas? I think that's what he said... (8:48)

I skipped the drive into work and went to the briefing - he's drinking coffee again!

"The 119 was never designed to do the kind of job we're doing. 

"Seems like we rolled down that runway forever" I wonder why...

He finally gets his poles out at 13:00. 34' long. Crikey.

There is some bizarre 'human face of the military' stuff there isn't there? They seem to cast a Hoagy Carmichael clone who looks like he would be more at home sitting with a scotch on the piano in front of him...

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Room on the front row, but as always I'm sitting middle left by the usher. I get first pick of the choc ices, raspberry mivis and FAB lollies :).

Hung from the ceiling, Ced style (well hung, mind), with all rods deployed. 

:giggle:.

Superb subject with great introduction and references. The PDF is over 200 pages. I like a free read :).

You'll need a nano-saw or two for those tiny windows. If you buy four of those engines, that will be 164 parts on the engines alone :o!

Engines N Things do quite nice ones. I know some of their engines have been said to be not the best, but I have a fair few and they're all really nice (especially the Gnome-Rhone ones in 1/72). 

You can download a PDF catalogue here.

http://www.planet.eon.net/~engthg/

I normally order a few by email; service is good and delivery fast and very reasonable postage.

Looking forward to this; NMF and what may well be international orange (?) and spy spacecraft 🚀 .

Welcome in sir. The frozen assortment will be available shortly. There's also an Indian restaurant 'The Sacred Boxcow' just a short walk from this cinema...

Questions: I liked the look of them Engines & Things offerings as a simpler alternative. Thanks. I'm going to that route but  I can't see any details on postage costs though - do you have to email them  first for  a total and then PayPal them?

I may have to disappoint on the dayglo orange stakes however as I note the Aerofax volume states that unlike it's brethren, Pelican 9 was done up in 'international cardinal red'. I'll have to seek a mixture for that...

56 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Cool clips guys, it's like whilst that bond chap was picked up in innit...

really looking forward to this tony, looks very cool

Get an adult to help you with this at home:

article-0-158795FF000005DC-411_634x798.j

• Like 5

" You will slowly rise almost vertically and be winched aboard within a few minutes'' ..... Yeh, right...!! 

''International Cardinal Red'' - I'd hazard a guess that would likely be rather similar to Artic Red?

And  '' The Sacred Boxcow''....:rofl:  

Keith

PS :dinosaur: would like directions to the restaurant. Don't tell him Pike....!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I'll get a jetty rigged for longer stays.:D

:lol: I'm moving the hot-dog stand from the foyer, just in case....

I'm re-considering the scribing requirements on this one Keith. There's some excellent close-ups here:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54554&mobile=off

that need some thought as to the best method to approach various  rectilinear patternings you see in lots of shots of this aircraft. I'm not persuaded that scribing will be an appropriate method for a lot of this, especially  as it will involve metal finishes in larger regions...

There is some bizarre 'human face of the military' stuff there isn't there? They seem to cast a Hoagy Carmichael clone who looks like he would be more at home sitting with a scotch on the piano in front of him...

Welcome in sir. The frozen assortment will be available shortly. There's also an Indian restaurant 'The Sacred Boxcow' just a short walk from this cinema...

Questions: I liked the look of them Engines & Things offerings as a simpler alternative. Thanks. I'm going to that route but  I can't see any details on postage costs though - do you have to email them  first for  a total and then PayPal them?

I may have to disappoint on the dayglo orange stakes however as I note the Aerofax volume states that unlike it's brethren, Pelican 9 was done up in 'international cardinal red'. I'll have to seek a mixture for that...

Get an adult to help you with this at home:

article-0-158795FF000005DC-411_634x798.j

I'm going to give that a go for picking the kids up....

can you imagine, a little 5 & 6 year old getting into their little suits, inflating their balloon, just sitting there in the middle of the playground everyone thinking they have lost it...... then zipp! Off they shoot! Brilliant!

Rob

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

or The Mother in law

oh just think, sitting in the garden minding her own business knitting,  then......whoosh!

:rofl::rofl: that made me howl.... reminds me of an actual dream I had, I was flying a b-26 with my kids as crew members doing final checks for a bombing run. then  I remember seeing a lovely summer BBQ scene with all my wife's family there (don't worry not as dark as you are currently thinking). Next thing I'm back flying the B-26 with my little girl telling me we are approaching target and control was with her and could her brother (in the turret ) check the bomb bay. Then I was back looking at the BBQ, listening to a sound of an approaching twin, followed by a low pass and 100's of water bombs being dropped! Last bit before I woke up was my daughter telling me it was a direct hit! Lo

woke and told the wife, who was rolling around laughing, her family can be irritating but I think they would have seen the funny side.... anyway I'm off to look at renting a medium bomber... :)

Rob

• Like 6

Budge up everyone! Room for a small one? Just going to squeeeeze in the front here, shhhhh stop complaining!

Now that I'm in, this looks interesting. Every now and then some one posts something I knew nothing about and this is a new one on me, mid air pickup? Although I don't fancy the reverse parachute method much, much prefer being picked up by a big chopper!

I do like this kit, I bought the gunship version many, many moons ago (December 88, the first kit I bought with my Naval wages!). I only remember it through rose tinted specs, I enjoyed it going together and it was a nice, large, chunky and impressive kit. I did do it OOB and always look at getting another when I see them pop up for sale, but alas never do. Looking forward to following along on this little adventure.........

Bob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

much, much prefer being picked up by a big chopper!

Begging your pardon m'lud, I don't think that's what he meant....sir? SIR???

I'm on board for this one too...should be very edookashonal......

Ian

• Like 2

I love those instructions Tony. "Tie hoods securely and check each others equipment"? I suppose that'll give them something to do while they're waiting for a pickup!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2017 at 9:06 AM, keefr22 said:

''International Cardinal Red'' - I'd hazard a guess that would likely be rather similar to Artic Red?

I'd say they are similar, if not identical Keith. I wonder how you mix that up? Some research to do later....:hmmm:

On 3/8/2017 at 10:45 AM, sinnerboy said:

or The Mother in law

oh just think, sitting in the garden minding her own business knitting,  then......whoosh!

Les Dawson? Les....is that really you? Knock once for yes....:lol:

On 3/8/2017 at 11:24 AM, rob85 said:

reminds me of an actual dream I had

:rofl: A wet dream apparently....  

On 3/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, moaning dolphin said:

Room for a small one? Just going to squeeeeze in the front here, shhhhh stop complaining!

AAAaaannnd that concludes Lesson One in the series: 'The Moaning Dolphin Guide to Romancing your Woman'....:lol:

Welcome along Bob!

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Begging your pardon m'lud, I don't think that's what he meant....sir?

Now you know better than that Ian....of course he did. It's the price of admission to one of my threads!

13 hours ago, CedB said:

I love those instructions Tony. "Tie hoods securely and check each others equipment"? I suppose that'll give them something to do while they're waiting for a pickup!

I forgot to mention that I had actually sourced that graphic from Ryanair's 2018 business plan...

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Ced, you have just taken the sites' double entardre policy to a new level - god bless you sir!

Saint Ced, Patron Saint of Gurgling Modellers everywhere! :o

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'd say they are similar, if not identical Keith. I wonder how you mix that up? Some research to do later....:hmmm:

Les Dawson? Les....is that really you? Knock once for yes....:lol:

:rofl: A wet dream apparently....  

AAAaaannnd that concludes Lesson One in the series: 'The Moaning Dolphin Guide to Romancing your Woman'....:lol:

Welcome along Bob!

Now you know better than that Ian....of course he did. It's the price of admission to one of my threads!

I forgot to mention that I had actually sourced that graphic from Ryanair's 2018 business plan...

Saint Ced, Patron Saint of Gurgling Modellers everywhere! :o

Any joke made by us has just been much funnier, you win Mr Baron! I howled at the above

Rob 

It's lively in here! Full house.

What's that smell of burning cork?

Is Arctic Red a bit like Arctic Roll? Is it still actually possible to buy Arctic roll?

It seemed to be the new fangled aspirer's pudding of the 1970's. Normally served after a main course of Findus Crispy Pancakes, Potato Croquettes and reduced salt baked beans.

I had an aunt that served such, then, apparently, modern delights :sick:. She also had a Hostess trolley and did, indeed. occasionally get a fondue on the go.

Dipping ones grapes in tepid, soft chocolate :unsure:

Am I alone in having such troubling childhood memories :shrug: ?

Ah, yes, modelling.

Yes Tony, choose Engines from their catalogue (in the style of choosing Corgi Toys from the 1971 catalogue (the one with 'Whizzwheels), then send an email.

A lady will get back to you with a price and if you like it, you can just PayPal the funds. I examined my stash for kits I thought I definitely wanted Engines for and sent off for four, to make the postage a bit more acceptable, but it wasn't much, certainly not Evilbay 'rip off' postage.

This cinema has run out of Opal Fruits *and* Fruit Gums :(. At least they've still got Vimto :).

So when does James Bond come on then? Hurry up I've got tomatoes ripening in the top drawer at home!

All the best

TonyT