Airfix Space:1999 Hawk

I picked one of these kits up from eBay for not too ridiculous a price, so decided to build it right away while the paint job on the Dino Ferrari is being sorted.

DSC_7261.JPG

Apparently the tooling for this kit has been lost/destroyed so its unlikely we'll see a re-issue, although some are hoping that Round2 will make a new kit after the success of their 22" Eagle kit! I've had the WARP resin kit of this int he stash for some years now, but never got round to doing anythign with it, so rather than this suffering the same fate, I decided to get on with it!

DSC_7262.JPG

Its not a complicated kit! First job was the engine which comes in two halves with quite a poor fit so some complex sanding is required

DSC_7263.JPG

The end of the engine looks atrocious, so checking with the WARP resin i had an idea...

DSC_7264.JPG

So I scratch built an insert for the engine bell, which works pretty well...

DSC_7265.JPG

The other main components are the main fuselage with the beak and the two side engines. These need a consierable amount of clean up, sanding, filling etc

DSC_7266.JPG

All ready for the primer here, but after it was applied, it showed up some major issues with joints and needed a lot of clean up. Currently on the second coat of primer...

In the meantime, the two brackets for the stand have been attached to a base of thick plastic card and the two thruster blocks have been cleaned up and are being painted. The two missile/weapon pods have been left off for cleaning up and painting separately.

I'm tempted to do the orange version that appeared in the TV show rather than the all white one that the kit represents. There are plenty of photos out there including this I took at Smallspace a few years back

DSCF5826.JPG

More to come...

• Like 11

Oh my! What a blast from the past!

Most definitely it needs to be done in the orange.

Great work so far, and I am sure you will do your usual excellent job on her :)

I wouldn't recommend it - as much as I love the ships from it, the TV series itself is dire, terrible writing, awful acting...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

Series I isn't too bad, the acting and scripts went down hill for series II when they dumbed it down and increased the pointless action to appeal to US Audiences.

Nice work on the Hawk, it's a pity the tooling has been lost but then if Round 2 are considering replacing it I hope they would rescale their Eagle to 72nd scale and replace the old MPC tooling with a more accurate model.

Progress over the weekend...

Er well I did spray the orange and then tried to paint the black anti-glare panels and made such a mess that I've stripped the paint back to plastic and will be starting again :(

These things do happen...

So having made a complete dogs breakfast of my first attempt at the control module with black anti glare panels and orange body, I started back again this weekend by re-priming the main body and masking the ant-glare panels ready for the matt Nato black as seen here:

DSC_7328_001.JPG

and unmasked they look like this

DSC_7329.JPG

That'll do! Next its to mask the whole window area so I can spray the orange over the nose...

• Like 6

Great work! I have this kit in the stash so am watching with great interest.

Just noticed, though, if you're going to build the orange version according to canon (and the version shown above), there are no black glare panels. There are plenty of examples with the black panels though, and original concept art by Brian Johnson has them as well.

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/images/sfx/sfx17wg.html

http://www.thepropgallery.com/brian-johnson-hawk-concept-art

oh my god you are right - I've just wasted about 5 days trying to sort this out... I should have paid more attention to the photos of the model rather than the bloody box cover!!!

Oh boy, back to square one...

• Like 1

You could keep it as is and do the white version. That's how I'm going to do mine. Originally it was white but the producers felt they would be confused with the Eagles and so the orange was added minus the black glare panels.

Sorry about that - I didn't mean to make more work for you.

Edited by iSteve
  • Like 1

I've been doing more research and it does seem that the large scale Hawk models had black window panels but some of the smaller ones had white! There doesn't appear to be any real consistency. Most of the models I've seen at shows have been black windows

31" Hawk from Catacombs

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/models/hawk/imhawk31as.jpg

16" Hawk from Catacombs

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/models/hawk/imhawktops.jpg

The photos iSteve linked to above, eg

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/images/sfx/wg/spwgfx2030.jpg

appear to come from unused SFX footage and not necessarily from the broadcast show... So I'm back to black window frames again... sigh...

• Like 1

On 13/03/2017 at 8:02 AM, Kallisti said:

I wouldn't recommend it - as much as I love the ships from it, the TV series itself is dire, terrible writing, awful acting...

It must be 40 years since I watched any of this offal, but despite looking very expensive, and even allowing for '70s period extravagances (like truly massive Lionel Blairs), the main problem in virtually all the scripts was that the Home Team got its collective butt well and truly kicked every week! Even though, *somehow*, it all seemed to turn out OK in the end, it got a bit exhausting after a while -James Tiberius Kirk would never have stood for it!!!  And then there were the guesting 'aliens'...as the old Wild Weasel maxim goes, YGBSM!