Tamiya 1/32 De Havilland Mosquito

Hi folks.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Tamiya's big Mossie, other than the big 'ole box would contain a shed load of plastic and peripherals or what it would be like to nail together. Having reached the far side of that little amble I can say it's astonishing how far kit production has progressed, with no sign of a let up in innovation or refinement and no sign we're anywhere near a pinnacle just yet.

That all bodes nicely going forwards of course and in the mean time, all we have to worry about is living as long as possible to enjoy the fruits of all this plastic loveliness. 

21_zpssxvx1ojy.jpg

51_zpsf1nfdbbp.jpg

M18Clean_zps5djatmzi.jpg

The build has found its way into a Mosquito 'special' for AMW, out this Thursday I believe.

TTFN

Steve :-)

• Like 46

Wow this is beautiful,.......I was admiring the interior and bombs,.....scrolling down and hoping that it wouldn`t be a standard grey and green scheme and you failed to disappoint,........just the scheme I was hoping for,.........fantastic job, well done,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

I have to say that everything looks fantastic, but those bombs are just nothing short of fantastic. Sorry I realise that almost sounds derogatory to the rest - which it isnt, because your whole model looks bloody lovely!  

It is as they used to say on Page 3 of a well known Red Top, "A Stunna"

Jonners

On 07/03/2017 at 6:58 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I have to say that everything looks fantastic, but those bombs are just nothing short of fantastic. Sorry I realise that almost sounds derogatory to the rest - which it isnt, because your whole model looks bloody lovely!  

It is as they used to say on Page 3 of a well known Red Top, "A Stunna"

Jonners

Hi Jon:

Thanks for your response to Tam's 500 pounders. I can't respond through the thread as I've been blocked for 'advertising'. While I unravel that little conundrum, I can say the finish on the weapons was completed easily. My wife married me because she likes simple things and it's the same for me in modelling.

The bombs were sprayed the requisite dark green Tamiya acrylic (can't recall which one) and glossed with Klear for the decals. Once decalled and dry latex free gloves were donned and Gunze acrylic matt clear varnish was applied. A hair dryer rendered the surface 'dry' (but in reality still had a gentle tack). A couple of sticks of chalk pastels were ground into powder on a course flat file to produce two small piles. One was a pale, slightly pinkish buff, the other, earth colour (a mid brown). 

All I did was dab a gloved finger in some of the earth colour pastel powder and dab it by finger on and around the bombs. The process was repeated with the buff powder. Obviously one's finger can't access all the recesses, so a quarter inch flat chisel brush with stiffish bristles was dabbed in the powder and worked into the bits untouched by the finger.

Fixing the powder is easy - mist flat clear on from a greater distance in very short bursts. A little of the pastel effect disappears, so I gently overdue that in anticipation, as I've done this a few times now...and that's all there is to it. Occam's Razor rules (even if I am bastardising the meaning somewhat).

Wish you well with it Jon, if you give it a go. I can send you an image of the actual pastel sticks if you prefer? Just give me the nod.

TTFN

On 07/03/2017 at 5:37 PM, tonyot said:

Wow this is beautiful,.......I was admiring the interior and bombs,.....scrolling down and hoping that it wouldn`t be a standard grey and green scheme and you failed to disappoint,........just the scheme I was hoping for,.........fantastic job, well done,

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony. In truth, the scheme was chosen by Chris. Left to my own devices I'd have gone for something grubby. Really glad you like it.

TTFN

Steve

My thanks to every one else who've kindly dropped by.

A few more images.

The Eduard interior set includes a cable guard for the pilot's emergency harness release. The folded brass first aid kit was a huge improvement over the kit part but on the whole, the standard plastic trumps the etch, which was used in a 'targeted' way to pick up the odd bits where it was genuinely a 'hop up'.

7_zpse7yprdux.jpg

The first cockpit sub-assembly is a joy to nail together. The HGW dedicated belt set is the most challenging I've ever assembled. Only 50% can be hooked up 'off model', the remainder needs to be added in situ - a double tweezers, three hands job with the 3.5 mag Optivisor.

18_zpsiy2jwuxr.jpg

19_zps8ppiqskf.jpg

The fuel gauge / Very Light switching box had the moulded cable razor sawed into its component parts and replaced with .4mm yellow cable from Little Cars, along with cable clamps knocked up from thin strip. It was a useful upgrade, as it's very much visible at the top of the cockpit.

24_zpsdpcvo4vv.jpg

Note the unpainted plastic 'saddle' that guides the screw that secures the wing sub-assembly.

25_zps5dq9fo48.jpg

Please excuse the scrappy white background - this is an unfinished shot, not tidied up by designer. It's an outstanding kit.

M11_zpssaudvwyv.jpg

TTFN

Steve 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

Beautiful metallic finish, one of the most realistic I've seen.  What kind of metallic paints/technique did you use for it?

Hi D.

Alclad II 'High Speed Silver' ALC-125 was chosen on this occasion. Rather oddly, the application instructions on the bottle differ from the normal Alclad methodology of '12-15 psi' and instead mention air pressures of '20-30 psi'. The formulation seems different and I found surface adherence very much less than the 'old' Alclad II I'm well used to (which is essentially iron clad).

TTFN

Steve

15 hours ago, Dances With Wolves said:

Left to my own devices I'd have gone for something grubby.

Perhaps you'll get another chance? I know that after your 1/24th Typhoons, a grubby Mossie would be gorgeous!

Beautiful work as always, Steve. Looking forward to the article :D.

56 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Perhaps you'll get another chance? I know that after your 1/24th Typhoons, a grubby Mossie would be gorgeous!

Beautiful work as always, Steve. Looking forward to the article :D.

Thanks for that John - all things being equal, I think a Mossie re-visit is pretty certain. The car door Tiffie was even more pleasurable after the dress reversal of the slider and I think the same will hold true for the wooden wonder.

Hope you enjoy the 'special' - the other builds are great reads.

TTFN

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dances With Wolves said:

Thanks for that John - all things being equal, I think a Mossie re-visit is pretty certain. The car door Tiffie was even more pleasurable after the dress reversal of the slider and I think the same will hold true for the wooden wonder.

Hope you enjoy the 'special' - the other builds are great reads.

Excellent!

I know I will :).

That is absolutely stunning.  The cockpit detail is amazing and beautifully rendered.  Also, one of the 'sexiest' schemes ever to adorn the type.  Brilliant work.

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is absolutely stunning.  The cockpit detail is amazing and beautifully rendered.  Also, one of the 'sexiest' schemes ever to adorn the type.  Brilliant work.

Cheers M!

I like simple approaches to these things. The custom mixed Interior Grey Green (a much maligned colour) was simply over-coated with a couple of thin applications of Michael Harding oil washes (MH paint has hand ground pigments that are finer than other brands and result in particularly creamy washes with significantly less granularity) and given some dry sponging with Humbrol 66 Dark Grey.

Thanks again.

Steve  

• Like 1

Outstanding work all round Steve,I've seen many takes on NM finishes but the subtle shading on this is something special

and the scheme overall is a refreshing change.