60s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

3 hours ago, Col. said:

You could do a lot worse than look at this one ;) 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML48177

Hi Col

Bitten the bullet and gone for one of these, the decals in the kit are god knows how old anyway so I'll go with fresh :) 

Edited by Redstaff
multiple entry
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Just toying with some ideas. Would a Bundesgrenzschutz Alouette II count?

Hmm, that's an interesting point :hmmm: On one hand they were basically a border patrol force but on the other they would have been first in the firing line. I'm going to say yes and also allow any BRIXMIS or equivalent equipment to be included.

13 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Col

Bitten the bullet and gone for one of these, the decals in the kit are god knows how old anyway so I'll go with fresh :) 

Quite right too. Tempted to go for it as well. The original issue of that sheet in 48th was going for silly money on eBay recently.

Extracted kit from loft and it doesn't look like I got any extras so need to look and see whats about and needed as cockpit looks sparse to say the least

Kit decals looked yellow and a bit warped, so awaiting new ones from MJR :) 

Must admit I forgot how big the kit is in 1/48 🤔

Need to decide wheels up or down as quite fancy idea of low level over water but also fancy wings and airbrake folded, but probably beyond my skill level at present

• Like 1

phuh!

60ies it is then.....

no idea what to do here! not really my comfort zone!!

Yak-28 I guess would be ok? but which airfield/ squadron.....etc..

some Prague Spring items..?   

really of guard at the moment!

suggestions please!  - preferably Warpak stuff... or else ;)

(but neither was me on guard for the previous editions for Nato vs. Warpak) :(

• Like 1

Well, I got the 1/48 Heller Alouette 2 kit, but I'm a bit surprised by the lack of aftermarket decals for it. The ones for the Bundesgrenzschutz that I had in mind seem to be the later style that was used in the 1980's. Maybe I can combine some UH-1D sheets or something to do a Heeresflieger one.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Redstaff said:

Extracted kit from loft and it doesn't look like I got any extras so need to look and see whats about and needed as cockpit looks sparse to say the least

Kit decals looked yellow and a bit warped, so awaiting new ones from MJR :) 

Must admit I forgot how big the kit is in 1/48 🤔

Need to decide wheels up or down as quite fancy idea of low level over water but also fancy wings and airbrake folded, but probably beyond my skill level at present

If you want to do this one wheels up and in flight be aware the gear doors are not designed to be fitted shut and will take a bit of work to make so. Guess how I know :( 

On 7/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, exdraken said:

phuh!

60ies it is then.....

no idea what to do here! not really my comfort zone!!

Yak-28 I guess would be ok? but which airfield/ squadron.....etc..

some Prague Spring items..?   

really of guard at the moment!

suggestions please!  - preferably Warpak stuff... or else ;)

(but neither was me on guard for the previous editions for Nato vs. Warpak) :(

The Yak-28 would certainly be a cool choice but anything used in the Prague Spring is fine as well.

11 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Morning guys

Is it possible to post a set of rules here just to clarify what is eligible etc just to stem any confusion going fwd.

Not long home from a weekend away from any internet access but will get that done soon as I can.

46 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Well, I got the 1/48 Heller Alouette 2 kit, but I'm a bit surprised by the lack of aftermarket decals for it. The ones for the Bundesgrenzschutz that I had in mind seem to be the later style that was used in the 1980's. Maybe I can combine some UH-1D sheets or something to do a Heeresflieger one.

Good luck doing a pick and mix for the Bundesgrenzschutz machine but a Heeresflieger will make for a fine second choice if it comes to that.

• Like 1

Hello @Col. ... Mind if I jump in here with an F-102 “Deuce” from the 431st Fs. out of Zaragoza spain in the early 1960’s ? They were part of S.A.C.s forward operating capabilities and rotated between Spain and Morocco. The Deuce will be in these markings. BcZW1UD.jpg

I need to build my Revell Deuce sooner or later, might as well be in a group build. 

Dennis

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. ... Mind if I jump in here with an F-102 “Deuce” from the 431st Fs. out of Zaragoza spain in the early 1960’s ? They were part of S.A.C.s forward operating capabilities and rotated between Spain and Morocco. The Deuce will be in these markings. BcZW1UD.jpg

I need to build my Revell Deuce sooner or later, might as well be in a group build. 

Dennis

cool markings! where do you get those decals from may I ask?? I have a resin/ PE  improved version form Encore in 1/48......

12 hours ago, Col. said:

If you want to do this one wheels up and in flight be aware the gear doors are not designed to be fitted shut and will take a bit of work to make so. Guess how I know :(

Thanks Col

I was thinking wheels up would be easier considering the apparently poor fit of this kit, but maybe not then 🤔

• Like 1

Might go an F104 Starfighter for a build Italeri/Esci in 72 scale, I'll  need to plough through the various boxing's online to see which of the releases have

the right decal's for the timeframe.There is a Dutch machine from 1966 in NM present in the last boxing,I'd really like to do an early Italian machine.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

I know that Col will probably excommunicate me after raising this in the 80's GB - I won't mention 'That Book!' either - but is the 57th FIS based at Keflavik eligible? If they are I could just squeeze in an F-89J Scorpion or an F-102 Delta Dagger 🙂

Just asking for a yes / no. Humbly promise not to debate it.

Michael 🙏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghostbase said:

I know that Col will probably excommunicate me after raising this in the 80's GB - I won't mention 'That Book!' either - but is the 57th FIS based at Keflavik eligible? If they are I could just squeeze in an F-89J Scorpion or an F-102 Delta Dagger 🙂

Michael 🙏

I'm sure its been discussed before Michael and I'm sure the 57th have been deemed eligible. One of their F-102's was my second choice for this GB so I would love to see one built, I also have an F-89J that I want to do as a 57th aircraft so am happy whichever choice you make.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exdraken said:
10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

cool markings! where do you get those decals from may I ask?? I have a resin/ PE  improved version form Encore in 1/48......

These are an older set from Micro/superscale I can get you the number when i get to my office. I was lucky enough to find the last set at Sprue brothers online shop. If you look at fleabay and other hobby shops you might find a set ? I wish you luck with that quest Werner. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Michael 🙏

Keflavik is good Michael :thumbsup: Anything covering the Greenland/Iceland/UK Gap is within our theater of operations.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Col. said:

...Anything covering the Greenland/Iceland/UK Gap is within our theater of operations.

I have both the Meng F-102A and Revell F-89J, but as they're already been taken 😉

Is it OK with a Keflavik based Willie Victor that's just laying here begging to be built... ?

Minicraft 1/144 EC-121, all in dark grey

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SAU said:

I have both the Meng F-102A and Revell F-89J, but as they're already been taken 😉

Is it OK with a Keflavik based Willie Victor that's just laying here begging to be built... ?

Minicraft 1/144 EC-121, all in dark grey

I have to admit my record on these GB's is really bad and I change my mind every 10 minutes so please build a 57 FIS "Flying Vacuum" or a "Deuce", that way one might get finished 😂