60s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh bugga almost over, no way my victor will make it, least now no pressure to rush anything. Good to hear about the 50s GB, already know what I’ll enter, picked up an airfix sabre earlier this year to do an Raf a/c

Sorry to hear your Victor won't make the gallery but then again I'm glad to hear you're not rushing it.

The RAF Sabre sounds a great choice for the 50s edition :thumbsup: 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Is it the fumes of the glue and paint as I'm sure there was a 5 pic max on photos in the gallery or am I seeing things  😂😂

So long as you got the finished article into the gallery before it locks I'll forgive the exact numbers a little. At least until tomorrow when I might go and edit it slightly ;) 

• Like 2

Thank you all for making this GB not only happen but for making it such an enjoyable event. The chat and banter has been great fun and we've got a great sellection of models in the gallery again. Give me a couple of days to get the poll sorted out and we can have the vote to find out your favourites from the two sides. In the meantime, as Dennis and John have noted, we've got a couple months to get subjects sorted for the 45 to 50s edition covering the formation of NATO and Warpac :D 

• Like 3

I agree @Col. it's been a very enjoyable few months with the banter, plus there have been some great models made and shared

Can't believe it's only 2 months for the next one though, need to have a look at the meteor I got and start planning :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I agree @Col. it's been a very enjoyable few months with the banter, plus there have been some great models made and shared

Can't believe it's only 2 months for the next one though, need to have a look at the meteor I got and start planning :) 

Glad to hear you've enjoyed this GB :) Also glad to hear you've got your subject sorted for the next edition :thumbsup: Have you decided on a squadron or indeed operator for it yet?

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Oh...I forgot...it was decided that we would begin in 1945 and go through to the end of '59?  That does open up the field a bit more, doesn't it?

Yes I'm hoping it gives us a greater variety of subjects from what was a fast-paced and turbulent period both technologically and politically.

I'm also thinking we need a better sub-title for the forthcoming edition, something like 'Birth of The Cold War in Europe' perhaps?

Had a quick count of finished subjects in the gallery (the Lightning was a popular subject again) so that gives us 25 NATO subjects to 11 Warpac items and so allows me to split the poll into two separate sections for Capitalist Pigs and Commie Scum. I'll also do a more detailed count of subject popularity soon but if you'll excuse me I've accidently found some proper work to do so will have to go crack on with that :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Glad to hear you've enjoyed this GB :) Also glad to hear you've got your subject sorted for the next edition :thumbsup: Have you decided on a squadron or indeed operator for it yet?

Hi Col.

Enjoyed it immensely thanks, I've got the 1/48 Airfix F8 Meteor on standby for this one

As it's supposed to be a good kit, think I'll go OOB and use the RAF yellow tailed markings from 111 squadron at North Weald from 1954 as the colour and grey/green camo should look good with the Hunter from this build :) 

Edited by Redstaff
  • Like 2

Of our selection of 36 completed models in the gallery the most popular subject award is shared on this occasion between the Lightning and MiG-21 with four of each. Joint second goes to the F-86, F-104, and R/F-84. Final step on the podium is also a joint award between the Hunter, F-100, Su-9/11 'Fishpot', and Scimitar with two of each.

Scale-wise the most popular choice was 72nd at 19 examples, 48th seen 12 models, then 35th with 4 kits finished.

These raw figures, however, only tell part of the story. Where else can you expect to see a couple of Supermarine Scimitar models displayed along side an EBR-10 75 and a ZSU-57 2? In fact when was the last time you seen two Scimitar models together!?! Part of the fun for me in these GBs is the wide variety of subjects which get picked and in particular the variety of unusual subjects that may otherwise go unseen. I sincerely hope this continues to be the case for our next edition in a couple of months time.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 5

Had me worried there for a minute Col. 

I read it first and thought the poll had be taken and I hadn't voted 😲 then I read it properly and realised I was a pillock 😂

Like you say, there was a great variety of models put forward and it's good to see them all in one place so to speak

Lightning nearly won hands down as that was my first choice as they've always been top of my list, but they seemed well represented and then it was going to be a brick until I was informed about the Bucc STGB and so I went for the Hunter and thoroughly enjoyed it :) 

Thanks for putting this forward and organising it and here's to the next one 

Ian

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 8:15 AM, helios16v said:

Back to lurking again.  Still hope to find time to maybe toss the Skyhawk together.  It doesn't help that I missed the start.  Haha.  But I now have a new complication...the air compressor bit the dust.  So now I have something else I get to deal with.  😣

Unfortunately the Scooter was the victim of a cold cat, and never made it off the deck.  😖

However, I now have a new compressor inbound and will hopefully get my '70s RF-4E completed this winter (along with a couple other shelf queens). 

We'll try again for the next one.....and will likely fail to finish yet again.  🤕

Edited by helios16v
typo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, helios16v said:

Unfortunately the Scooter was the victim of a cold cat, and never made it off the deck.  😖

However, I now have a new compressor inbound and will hopefully get my '70s RF-4E completed this winter (along with a couple other shelf queens). 

We'll try again for the next one.....and will likely fail to finish yet again.  🤕

Next time Chris ;) In the meantime get that RF-4E finished so we can all admire it :)