60s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

37 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Thanks Col

The Skyhawk is definitely in with a good shout as is the Phantom.

Looks like it's going to be a good and varied GB.

James

There's certainly no shortage of potential subjects from the decade in question so hopefully everyone will take advantage of the opportunities to do something a little different. At the moment it has been all aviation subjects being discussed but with any luck a good variety of land and sea assets will appear as well.

• Like 1

I am quite tempted to build a Luftwaffe F-86F for this one as well, and to be completely different it'll be plastic!!! :yikes: 

I'd have liked to have done the Fiat G.91 but the Heller model is so hard to find and the Italeri one is the old Esci model re-boxed!!! :door:

Now if I could find a decent F-84F.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I'd have liked to have done the Fiat G.91 but the Heller model is so hard to find and the Italeri one is the old Esci model re-boxed!!! :door:

Try 1/72 instead.  Meng! 

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Try 1/72 instead.  Meng! 

mmm but 1/48th now seems to be my scale, I know it's a killer with shelf space but it's much easier on my eyes...... microscopic PE bits aside.

It joins a growing list of forgotten models that really do need an updated release. Most of these can trace their origins back to the 80's or are just so bad you don't want to go there, Kinetic F-84F!!!

• Like 1

Considering doing a British based phantom anyway, but did those units based in the UK receive SEA camoed phantoms before 1970? Or would I build it  as a standalone? (Though I did accidentally build a 1970s phantom for the 80s group build so would be a nice bit of irony and i never finished my 70s phantom last year) 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 7/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Considering doing a British based phantom anyway, but did those units based in the UK receive SEA camoed phantoms before 1970? Or would I build it  as a standalone? (Though I did accidentally build a 1970s phantom for the 80s group build so would be a nice bit of irony and i never finished my 70s phantom last year) 

Hmm, good question, tempted to say they'd all have been ADC Grey but might have a magazine article on the subject somewhere... Let me have a look and get back to you on that.

23 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hmm, good question, tempted to say they'd all have been ADC Grey but might have a magazine article on the subject somewhere... Let me have a look and get back to you on that.

Surely Light Gull Gray and White which was the scheme the first F-4C's were delivered in?

I thought the SEA scheme appeared during the late 1960's, were there UK based USAF Phantoms by then?

Edited by Wez

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Surely Light Gull Gray and White which was the scheme the first F-4C's were delivered in?

I thought the SEA scheme appeared during the late 1960's, were there UK based USAF Phantoms by then?

Yes, there were at Woodbridge from 65 onwards, though as queried I’ve only seen them in the white/full grey scheme as you say. However if the answer is no on 60s sea f4, I started a build yesterday that if it’s meets <25% threshold is eligible if I change the decal option.

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I'm getting close to a decision on my build for this, one of my leading three is a f-8 crusader from one of the us navys med tour carriers, it'll be in 1/48 scale but eduards decal sheet is mainly for nam birds, anybody know of a decal sheet for crusaders on med duty, i have located a set from the shangri-la and this boat did a tour in the time frame we're builing so that may very well be the one, just looking for different decal options, 

Cheers for any forth coming advice or help on this ever pressing matter

Glynn 

• Like 1

After some deepish research I've come up with a  couple of possible decal option ideas I'd like to put before the more knowledgeable,  some of the carriers on tour of the med in the time frame, not all,  Roosevelt, kennedy, Shangri-la, and independence, 

Decal options for some of these are, 

Would the shangri-la, Roosevelt, intrepid  versions cut the mustard here? I'm almost sure I'm on the right track, but a little shove would do it

Cheers

Glynn 

Top one for the shangri-la is favourite

i8QDt8L.jpg

cz2GNVL.jpg

b7m3Ylu.jpg

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished

Got it now, vf84 jolly rogers made several tours to the med in the 60s on the independance flying crusaders

Although they were th f-8u not the eduards f-8e, much to change?  I'm losing the plot

I'll think of somthing else😪

GZZLZxs.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Although they were th f-8u not the eduards f-8e, much to change?

The F-8C equates to an F-8U2, the F-8E to an F-8U2NE.

The F-8E had a more bulbous radome compared the the F-8C which was more conical, this would be one of the first things I would look for in an E converted to C.  The E also had an IRST (Infra-Red Search and Tracker), mounted on the nose ahead of the windscreen, this would need to be omitted.

The most obvious difference is the fairing on the spine/upper wing which contained the avionics for the Bullpup missile, this would need to be removed and would be one of the first things to look for in an E converted to a C.

Fortunately the E wing didn't have the double slats and was the same as the C's in this respect, likewise both had the smaller stabilator.  E's had the Martin-Baker Mk5 seat, I'm not sure what seat the C's had originally or whether they were retrofitted with the MB seat.

I don't have the Hasegawa 1/48th kit which is what the Eduard kit uses for its plastic, I don't know whether it has the correct version of the MB seat (Monograms had the later MB.7GRU type seat), or whether it has the later A-7 type undercarriage which was fitted to Crusaders in later life.  Hopefully somebody can confirm this detail.

So, in answer to your question, much to change?  A fair bit, yes.  At the end of the day, it's your model.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

The F-8C equates to an F-8U2, the F-8E to an F-8U2NE.

The F-8E had a more bulbous radome compared the the F-8C which was more conical, this would be one of the first things I would look for in an E converted to C.  The E also had an IRST (Infra-Red Search and Tracker), mounted on the nose ahead of the windscreen, this would need to be omitted.

The most obvious difference is the fairing on the spine/upper wing which contained the avionics for the Bullpup missile, this would need to be removed and would be one of the first things to look for in an E converted to a C.

Fortunately the E wing didn't have the double slats and was the same as the C's in this respect, likewise both had the smaller stabilator.  E's had the Martin-Baker Mk5 seat, I'm not sure what seat the C's had originally or whether they were retrofitted with the MB seat.

I don't have the Hasegawa 1/48th kit which is what the Eduard kit uses for its plastic, I don't know whether it has the correct version of the MB seat (Monograms had the later MB.7GRU type seat), or whether it has the later A-7 type undercarriage which was fitted to Crusaders in later life.  Hopefully somebody can confirm this detail.

So, in answer to your question, much to change?  A fair bit, yes.  At the end of the day, it's your model.

Find another scheme, or scrap the idea then, 

Thanks tho wez. 

Glynn 

I vaguely remember some stipulation in one of the previous NATO v Warpac GBs, that subjects had to be 'front line'.  Is that correct, or have I imagined it?

If it is correct, would that exclude a Victor K.1 Tanker?

Cheers

Cliff

On 7/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, Hewy said:

After some deepish research I've come up with a  couple of possible decal option ideas I'd like to put before the more knowledgeable,  some of the carriers on tour of the med in the time frame, not all,  Roosevelt, kennedy, Shangri-la, and independence, 

Decal options for some of these are, 

Would the shangri-la, Roosevelt, intrepid  versions cut the mustard here? I'm almost sure I'm on the right track, but a little shove would do it

Cheers

Glynn 

Top one for the shangri-la is favourite

i8QDt8L.jpg

cz2GNVL.jpg

b7m3Ylu.jpg

Hi Glynn

Great choice of kit if you go with it. I've been building the Eduard boxing for the current Carriers Ahoy GB and it is very nice.

If you are still going ahead with it and aren't set on a particular aircraft yet I have the Micro Scale sheet with the markings for the Shangri La sitting around untouched if you're interested?

Thanks 

James

Hi Col

Not long back into modelling and currently on first GB with the P47 STGB and enjoying bouncing things around and getting tips of others

Need to do some research about what is eligible and then see what is in the stash in the loft

I know there are various lightnings in various scales and I think a hunter and Javelin, but need to look, or maybe something different

Count me in please

Ian :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Hi Glynn

Great choice of kit if you go with it. I've been building the Eduard boxing for the current Carriers Ahoy GB and it is very nice.

If you are still going ahead with it and aren't set on a particular aircraft yet I have the Micro Scale sheet with the markings for the Shangri La sitting around untouched if you're interested?

Thanks 

James

Unfortunatly james i dont  think they correlate for this build, the sheet i need after more research is, aeromaster, colorfull crusaders, amd 48-563, but its not in stock, at least where I've been looking, the Shangri-la  on that one tail code, ak, vf62, the boomerangs. love to do it with your sheet but i suppose its got to be right, if anyone else can give providence for your  sheet consider it sold james, thanks for the offer though , and I'll have a look through the carriers ahoy gb at your crusader,  I'm embarrassed to say that I've not had much of a look through that gb,

Thanks mate

Glynn 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Hi Glynn

Thanks 

James

I think james the Shangri-la scheme on that sheet was a vietnam tour, i may be wrong, the research does continue though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

I think james the Shangri-la scheme on that sheet was a vietnam tour, i may be wrong, the research does continue though 

Hi Glynn, the VF-111 F-8 is indeed a Vietnam tour bird. The Sundowners never toured the Atlantic as they were a Pacific Fleet Squadron.

I'll see if I can find any Atlantic Fleet F-8E's in my references (such as they are!).

• Thanks 1

Rare you'll find craig, at least those still for sale ,  vietnam ones are two a penny, i dont want to drop down to 72nd for this one, I've been looking for a while now I've identified a few sheets but no luck purchasing them, cheers for any help, 

Glynn 

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Glynn, the VF-111 F-8 is indeed a Vietnam tour bird. The Sundowners never toured the Atlantic as they were a Pacific Fleet Squadron.

I'll see if I can find any Atlantic Fleet F-8E's in my references (such as they are!).

Vf11 on the super scale sheet is ok but no luck buying it 

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think i read they did tour the med, but alas it was 1970,i may be mistaken I'm going screen mad here😭, may have left the choices a bit too long, I'm keen to do a med carrier bird, 1st choice f-8e, the fall backs are looming ever closer