60s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

22 hours ago, SAU said:

I have both the Meng F-102A and Revell F-89J, but as they're already been taken 😉

Is it OK with a Keflavik based Willie Victor that's just laying here begging to be built... ?

Minicraft 1/144 EC-121, all in dark grey

A Keflavik based EC-121 will be grand. As of course would the F-102 and F-89J because, as Enzo says,...

22 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Just 'cos others are building them doesn't mean that you can't. 

Enzo will also tell you, "Build them all!" and I'll encourage you to do the same if you have the time ;) 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

I have to admit my record on these GB's is really bad and I change my mind every 10 minutes so please build a 57 FIS "Flying Vacuum" or a "Deuce", that way one might get finished 😂

Sounds like you and I have the same problem. I've tried all sorts of techniques, like roll a dice but with all my choices the dice never stop rolling...

3 hours ago, Col. said:

A Keflavik based EC-121 will be grand. As of course would the F-102 and F-89J because, as Enzo says,...

Enzo will also tell you, "Build them all!" and I'll encourage you to do the same if you have the time ;) 

In my case, "Start them all!" but my shelf of doom is already full. I think I'll go for the "Willie Victor" and a "Flying Vacuum" as a start.

I bought the F-102A Xtradecal sheet when it came out but I think they've mixed up the markings for 57th FIS. 🤔

Dated 1963 and the fin with serial without "0-" is correct

but

... large 70's checkers

... no early 60's buzz codes

I better wait with that one and modify it for a 70's theme.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SAU said:

Dated 1963 and the fin with serial without "0-" is correct

I remembered reading something a while ago that certain types of aircraft, once they reached ten years in service got the “0” in front of the serial #. It indicated weariness or fatigue in the airframe. I wonder if thats why your serial # has the “0”. 

From Wikipedia:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aircraft_serial_numbers

Its in the Usaf section.

“When the original fiscal year of a serial became ten years earlier than the current fiscal year, the tail number was often prefixed with a zero, for example 0-16717 instead of 16717 for UH-1H fiscal serial 66-16717. This was for disambiguation purposes, to avoid confusion with tail numbers for later fiscal years. The practice was generally abandoned in the 1980s. The notion that it was O for Obsolete is a widespread myth.[1]”

From a Netherlands modeling site:

http://www.oldwings.nl/content/o0/not_oh.htm

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Sort of settled on a Danish F100 for a build but would like to do a Warpac subject  but getting away from the obvious Mig family wondered if a

Mil Hound would be eligeble? Hobbyboss do an excellent 1/72 kit which I've fancied building for a good few year's I know they started making

an appearence in the mid fifties but would assume they served well into the sixties and beyond,a Russian scheme is in the box.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sort of settled on a Danish F100 for a build

That would be good alongside my French jet, would it be NMF or the wonderfully tatty green scheme in the paint that wouldn't stick or withstand a shower?

Come to think of it, when was the green scheme introduced?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sort of settled on a Danish F100 for a build but would like to do a Warpac subject  but getting away from the obvious Mig family wondered if a

Mil Hound would be eligeble? Hobbyboss do an excellent 1/72 kit which I've fancied building for a good few year's I know they started making

an appearence in the mid fifties but would assume they served well into the sixties and beyond,a Russian scheme is in the box.

The Mil-4 was still being produced and in service right through the 60s and therefore is eligible for this GB :D Are you going for both it and the Danish F-100? :pray:

24 minutes ago, Wez said:

That would be good alongside my French jet, would it be NMF or the wonderfully tatty green scheme in the paint that wouldn't stick or withstand a shower?

Hmm, good question Wez, anyone know when the overall green was introduced by the Danish AF?

• Like 1

Im not 100% sure but think the overall green on the Danish birds started in the 70’s but could be wrong? I will go check my sources and see what i have ?  

Ok I was wrong heres a link to a site showing Danish F-100’s 

http://www.f-100.org/hun041.shtml

There is a photo captioned that shows the green in 1968. Its the 3rd photo down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

http://www.f-100.org/hun041.shtml

There is a photo captioned that shows the green in 1968. Its the 3rd photo down.

And it looks wonderfully grotty!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

The best source for a danish F-100 is Stoppel in Denmark.

I have the decals for the early scheme, 1960-1969

Here you have it green, 1969-1982

Good luck with the weathering, a mix of salt water, worn out and burnt colours. :winkgrin:

Edited by SAU
  • Like 1

This is shaping up to be a marvellous group build, and we haven’t even started yet. Really interesting mix of subjects so far. We could do with a bit more Warpac though - might have to think about a second model. I have something in mind but I’ll keep it to myself for now - need to make some progress on current and almost started builds in this and other GBs before I can contemplate something else!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

The Mil-4 was still being produced and in service right through the 60s and therefore is eligible for this GB :D Are you going for both it and the Danish F-100? :pray:

Hmm, good question Wez, anyone know when the overall green was introduced by the Danish AF?

Definitely Col now I know the Mi -4 is OK,the F100 is a definite to I also like the look of the  Hobbyboss Mi-8 hip but the scheme's are post 69 and the Mi-2 Hoplite

Ineed to check the variant's and scheme's,I did their Choktaw for the French fancy Gb and loved it.

SDC13198%20640x480_zps6mlamglq.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wez said:

NMF Wez it has the large early roundel's by the way my local museum in Sunderland has a French F-100 in the three tone  Camo I've had the pleasure of

sitting in her a while ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zebra said:

This is shaping up to be a marvellous group build, and we haven’t even started yet. Really interesting mix of subjects so far. We could do with a bit more Warpac though - might have to think about a second model. I have something in mind but I’ll keep it to myself for now - need to make some progress on current and almost started builds in this and other GBs before I can contemplate something else!

This evening I dug out a Revell MiG-21 kit and an Eduard MiG-15 kit so will hopefully help redress some of that imbalance myself :) 

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Definitely Col now I know the Mi -4 is OK,the F100 is a definite to I also like the look of the  Hobbyboss Mi-8 hip but the scheme's are post 69 and the Mi-2 Hoplite

Ineed to check the variant's and scheme's,I did their Choktaw for the French fancy Gb and loved it.

SDC13198%20640x480_zps6mlamglq.jpg

I think the -4 generally superceded the -2 in service and in turn was replaced by the -8 but they had a considerable service overlap during the 60s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blitz23 said:

Hoping to enter a EE Lightning F2a. from 19 Sqn based out of Gütersloh West Germany.

Mmmm nice!

• Like 1

Hello @Col. ... Thought Id show you these photos. The first two photo’s are in museums in the Mid-east. This one is Syria4l9x3eD.jpg

This one is in Israel 

MzzLf9n.jpg

This one was killed during the war and still sits in the Golan Heights area. 

YPgtyNo.jpg

This is a StuG from the period i believe. It has the soviet added anti-aircraft gun mount on the commandeers cupola.

EfacXvC.jpg The flags look to be arabic and there is arabic script on the commanders cupola. I just learned this about 2 years ago myself and i think i will possibly be doing one of these for the Panzer IV Grp. Bld. In December. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. ... Thought Id show you these photos.... I just learned this about 2 years ago myself and i think i will possibly be doing one of these for the Panzer IV Grp. Bld. In December. 

Dennis

Wow, thank you for taking the time to share these Dennis, I can easily understand why you are considering one as a subject for that GB. A Second World War AFV built in German that was refurbished in the Soviet Union and used in combat by Arab nations has quite a story attached to it!

• Like 1

Less than 5 hours until we can start :D 

In the meantime remember there's also the potential for a late 1945 to 59 edition of this theme if we get a few more names so don't be shy ;) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Don't be confused Col.  Just stuff I'll never get around to building.

Fair point John. I really should do the same but hardly have time to get at the bench lately far less dig into the stash.

3 & 1/2 hours and counting :bounce:

Don't worry gang, I'm stuck at work with nobody to talk with, either the job will happen or get cancelled soon so this novelty will wear thin once I get to go home <_<