60s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

On 7/7/2018 at 9:46 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Does this qualify as less than 25% I suspect not given how little construction is left, but given it would be a nmf paint job which means hours of sanding ahead....

41442357050_a99cd8c815_b.jpg

That one is over the 25% mark I'm afraid to say Stu due to having its wings fitted. Still plenty to work ahead for you but you've gone a bit far to be eligible for this GB.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, CliffB said:

I vaguely remember some stipulation in one of the previous NATO v Warpac GBs, that subjects had to be 'front line'.  Is that correct, or have I imagined it?

If it is correct, would that exclude a Victor K.1 Tanker?

Cheers

Cliff

A Victor K.1 Tanker would be involved in support of front line operations so is fine.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:47 PM, Redstaff said:

Hi Col

Not long back into modelling and currently on first GB with the P47 STGB and enjoying bouncing things around and getting tips of others

Need to do some research about what is eligible and then see what is in the stash in the loft

I know there are various lightnings in various scales and I think a hunter and Javelin, but need to look, or maybe something different

Count me in please

Ian :) 

Sounds as if you're having fun in the P-47 STGB and that's what's it all about Ian. Lightning, Hunter, and Javelin are all good options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

A Victor K.1 Tanker would be involved in support of front line operations so is fine.

Thanks Col :thumbsup2:

Cliff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you're having fun in the P-47 STGB and that's what's it all about Ian. Lightning, Hunter, and Javelin are all good options.

I am having fun thanks Col :)

I should get P47 finished this coming week then have a look and see what's eligible and put it forward for approval by the knowlidgable ones :)

Thanks

Ian

• Like 1

16 days 'til this one is go gang so get the benches cleared and choices made :D 

Something I'd do well to be getting on with myself :hmmm:

• Like 2

I have to admit I'm getting quite excited about this GB, have gotten everything all planned.

So instead of the usual big complex resin build I'm doing some smaller ones........ simple :whistle:

For some reason I just don't seem to be able to stop building resin beasts...... so two smaller resin beasties and a ancient plastic one (1975).

1/48 Luftwaffe F-86K - resin and almost OOB, that'll be a first.....

1/35 French AMX-13 DCA - an ancient Heller model with Friuly tracks

1/35 French Panhard EBR-10 75 - some odd resin model I planned to build for the 70's GB but it was out of service by then, I never really started it.

I think I have the whole 60's covered, EBR retired early 60's, F-86 op mid 60's, and AMX entered service late 60's. They should keep me out of mischief for a little while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Been having a look on the internet for a suitable build and I’ve opted for the Sword kit, Lightning F.3. Comes with markings for 1965 and even some etch! :happy:

:thumbsup:    I'm doing the Sword Lightning F.2.  

• Like 3

Must admit I'm probably going down the lightning route as well as I must have a dozen various ones in the loft, but probably 1/48 airfix F3 in 111 markings if possible :) 

Haven't got a sword one in the stash....yet ;) 

• Like 1

So there won't be a lack of Lightnings in this GB. Cool :D 

At the moment I'm thinking of either a Hunter, very early Harrier, or perhaps a MiG-21 to balance out all those lovely Lightnings slightly. No, Enzo, I very much doubt I can do them all in the GB timeframe. Much as I'd love to!

• Like 1

Hmmm, with all these lightnings already on offer, I might be tempted to find out how bad the 1/48 Buccaneer kit really is as a RN S2 in overall dark grey 🤔

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Hmmm, with all these lightnings already on offer, I might be tempted to find out how bad the 1/48 Buccaneer kit really is as a RN S2 in overall dark grey 🤔

You'll find strong support for a Bucc build around these parts :D 

• Thanks 1

The lightning will always be my favourite, but I've always had a soft spot for the Brick due to their low level capabilities, looked at a doing a RAF version but they didn't get them till '69 so probably may not have got frontline in time 

About time I did a Navy version, need to check out what decals are available and get researching :) 

• Like 1

I was hoping the 1/72nd SH Super Mystère would be out in time for this GB but sadly that looks like that won't be the case, so I've dug out an old ESCI 1/72nd F-100D which I'll be doing as a French jet from EC.2/3 "Champagne" based at just over the French/German border at Lahr in Germany during 1966 (when France were still part of NATO).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

The lightning will always be my favourite, but I've always had a soft spot for the Brick due to their low level capabilities, looked at a doing a RAF version but they didn't get them till '69 so probably may not have got frontline in time 

About time I did a Navy version, need to check out what decals are available and get researching :) 

You could do a lot worse than look at this one ;) 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML48177

16 minutes ago, Wez said:

I was hoping the 1/72nd SH Super Mystère would be out in time for this GB but sadly that looks like that won't be the case, so I've dug out an old ESCI 1/72nd F-100D which I'll be doing as a French jet from EC.2/3 "Champagne" based at just over the French/German border at Lahr in Germany during 1966 (when France were still part of NATO).

While I'd have enjoyed seeing the Super Mystere a French Air Force F-100 is a fine substitute :speak_cool:

23 minutes ago, Wez said:

I was hoping the 1/72nd SH Super Mystère would be out in time for this GB but sadly that looks like that won't be the case

The AZ Model SMB2 is a nice kit.  I'll be building one.

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

You could do a lot worse than look at this one ;) 

Thanks Col :) 

That's the only one I've found as yet for '60s, most of the others are Gulf war or '70s Germany

Need to finish P47 STGB and then sort kit out and see what decals are with it, I might have already got some extras with it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The AZ Model SMB2 is a nice kit.  I'll be building one.

I'm planning to save my hard earned pennies for the SH/Azur kit.  Looking forward to seeing your AZ one, if you can find some small tanks from the Academy/Italeri Super Etendard they're correct for a Super Mystère, you'll just have to scratch some pylons (which I'm sure a man of your skill can manage).

Edited by Wez

18 minutes ago, Wez said:

if you can find some small tanks from the Academy/Italeri Super Etendard they're correct for a Super Mystère, you'll just have to scratch some pylons (which I'm sure a man of your skill can manage).

I'm being lazy.  I've got a resin set of tanks from L'Arsenal.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm being lazy.  I've got a resin set of tanks from L'Arsenal.

And I thought you were too much of a cheapskate for such extravagances! :whistle: