Alvin Stalwart crash rescue vehicle

stever219

I have recently found a photo on the Internet of an Alvis Stalwart modified for crash rescue work on Gan.  The vehicle, 00 AG 79, appears to have some form of pump and water and/or foam delivery system in the load compartment: presumably water and/or foam tanks were also located there.  I am assuming that this was a local modification and that drawings and/or photographic records are likely to be scarce or non-existent.  Is there anyone here who served on Gan and who remembers this vehicle, or who has additional photographs of it?  Any information will be gratefully received.

Air sea Rescue operations on the Island of Gan in the Indian Ocean

There were two Stalwarts, both ex-Army sold to the RAF in the late 60s for Air-Sea Rescue purposes.  Referring to these 2 stalwarts as Air-Sea rescue is a bit of a misnomer inasmuch they were well and truly confined to the islands atoll and were not suitable for operations beyond the reef.  As a result the vehicles became known as the Reef Rescue unit with one vehicle being operational and the other held in reserve.  The Reef Rescue Unit was operational for a relatively short period of time.  There was to be no dramatic rescue attempts from crashed aircraft or from vessels running aground on the reef.  Their only claims to fame were as Angels of Mercy to drunken servicemen trapped on the reef by the tides and giving joyrides to bikini clad female members of the Combined Service Entertainments troop who occasionally visited the base.

The equipment carried on the Reef Rescue Unit consisted of a stand mounted trailer pump,a 45 gallon drum of foam concentrate, two foam making branchpipes, a 150lb dry powder fire extinguisher, a reel of nylon rope and several aircraft inflatable dingies.  A landing/climbing net was also provided which could be laid overthe side to assist in any rescue.

The only difference between the 2 Stalwarts was their colour scheme.  Both retained their basic Army Green finish with a prominent red stripe down each side BUT the operational vehicle sported a yellow cab. 

Data from Stout, Strong & Sturdy  "The Alvis Stalwart Story" by John L.Rue    ISBN 3-9805216-0-5

There are a couple of pics in the book, BUT, they ae in Black and White

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Thanks Ray that's brilliant.  Hopefully my local library can find a copy for me.

No problems, after driving them from new, for many years from zero mileage on their clocks in BAOR, my interest in these vehicles has never wained, always something special about them.

If it helps, another book that carries the same information and photographs is "Alvis Saracen Family  by Bill Munro (Crowood Press, 2002 ISBN 1 86126 537 9)"  not only that, you get a bonus of information on everything 6x6 made by Alvis.........be warned, these books have become "collectable" seems once they are printed, they never do another run.............cheapest seems to be Amazon @ £30(AND that is cheap!)