Short Sperrin B Mk.1 ....a whiff of the Cold War

Haven't posted any builds in a long time, but going to try and make an effort this year.

This is the Anigrand 1/144 Short Sperrin dressed up in anti-flash white representing the aircraft as they may have appeared if production had started and they'd reached the RAF

The kit is nice enough but as with the other two Sperrin kits available there are some accuracy issues. However the Anigrand kit actually maybe makes it look a better looking aircraft, or maybe I'm just liking it too much now. In retrospect I would change the wheels which are reminiscent of matchbox/hotwheels cars from the 70's.

1/144 isn't a scale I'd normally tackle and it was a bit of a fight to finish for various non kit quality related reasons (I managed to drop it once)... which didn't help the modelling mojo.

Anyway, on to some pictures, and hope you find it interesting :)     

cP3052960_zpspdv5imic.jpg

P3052965_zpso2v8nn73.jpg

cP3052963_zps5wjewfac.jpg

cP3052956_zps035wmqen.jpg

cP3052962_zpsaspflqzc.jpg

• Like 58

I have one of these in the stash waiting to be built, but I have never seen one completed before.  Your handiwork and finishing is exceptional and the model is presented beautifully.  I really do like that.

Mike

• Like 1

What a joy to behold - the plane really looks like a crisscross of pre- and post WW2 engineering! :D

And you model in that setting is just the right way to show it off! :goodjob:

I like it! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

That's a neat little vignette but I do wish you'd not given it the panel line wash treatment: even control surface gaps would be less easy to see on the real jet at a distance that would render it an equivalent size to your model.  It's nice to see a Sperrin in a scheme that it could or should have worn.

Are the figures and Land Rover N gauge railway accessories?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stever219 said:

That's a neat little vignette but I do wish you'd not given it the panel line wash treatment: even control surface gaps would be less easy to see on the real jet at a distance that would render it an equivalent size to your model.  It's nice to see a Sperrin in a scheme that it could or should have worn.

Are the figures and Land Rover N gauge railway accessories?

Completely hear what your saying but it just looked like a big white blob to me when it was just in the white. Hence the lines which I know are far from scale.

The Landrover is N guage (I think) so not accurately to scale, but the figures are Preiser 1/144 airfield/aircrew

• Like 2

Very nice modelling.  I fully understand the panel lines dilemma.  Personally I don't like them at all in most scales except the largest or on particular aircraft where the join is frighteningly obvious on the real article.  I think you called it right though on the Sperrin.

I bet more than a few aircrew  felt that prayers had been answered when the Valiant, Vulcan and Victor were found to be successful.

• Like 1

I don' know if it's the fact that have some sympathy for these prototype aircraft that didn't quite make it or the impact that the Sperrin had on me when it featured as a cutaway drawing in the center pages of "Eagle" comic all those years ago. I always thought that the fin shape had a look similar to some French bomber designs of the day. Most un "jet like". Now that Valom are doing a B-45, what about a 1/72 Sperrin ?

Well Done Tony,   Trev.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

What a joy to behold - the plane really looks like a crisscross of pre- and post WW2 engineering! :D

And you model in that setting is just the right way to show it off! :goodjob:

I like it! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

What he said. It has that 40's - 50's  feel of design on the cutting edge.

It does look more like a transport aircraft than a bomber though.

• Like 1

It's not easy to get a white model to look good in a picture so 10 /10 for the finish. A great little model. I agree 1/72 would be great but having waited 60 years for the Victor we might be waiting a while for a Sperrin. 

Colin W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...