Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

8 hours ago, giemme said:

The four Spits are looking Fabulous, Rob! :clap:  :clap: Looks like you've raised the bar with this build :thumbsup: 

Ciao

That is very kind of you to say, and I'm really happy you think that. It's my aim to move forward with every build.

Rob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wonderful progress on all your builds Rob. Got to agree with Giemme too! :goodjob:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Mr Stix sir, high praise from a fellow enthusiast 

Rob

• Like 1

Hello. The Spitfires look great. Like the landscape photos also very much, especially that with the old house. I would like to own something like that, but totally out of range for me. Nice Dauntless too. Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So again i have been lazy with my updates, sorry. its been Easter so the kids have been off school, my days off have been spent entertaining them and the rest of my time has been selling chocolate eggs at work.... a tiring business...

Indulge me for a bit before the spitfires, or just scroll down!

I leave the house and the wife decides to repaint it, first of the hall

33281943163_9252027c85_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

A lovely shade of interior grey green! then the front room...

34052794236_9e4cc8be80_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

PRU Blue!! whats next Sky for the bathroom? azure Blue for the Kitchen?? I don't know she was never interested in WWII aircraft colour when i lived there!

Anyway, I have also been up on the hills a lot with the kids and Sunday got them to walk to the becon. weather was windy with cloud and lovely sunshine, made for some nice light. I also have a new camera app... so here are the results

33283269064_ebb4b3b155_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Cows chilling out half way up

33740734220_d1b61d808c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Kids legging it

34125264795_9c10cf7bf2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The eldest giving out the dispositions for battle to her most trusted officer (actually pointing out her cousins house which is impressive as she got it right!)

33968206992_fec2b8fcfb_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Risky devils...

33967651592_bf9e5b3ffd_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and me!!

MKXXII with its wheels on:

34093470545_7c91c0115a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and the hood on, touch ups have also been done in a number of areas and spinner repainted sky, oh and the canopy from has been painted.

MKXIX:

Wheels on!

34093472105_b2c45bebf6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So both of them are nearly done other than a gentle weather satin coat and a few last little bits added.

MKIIA and MKIA:

Wheels on here too!

34052796896_c0d8fc352b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the Revell MKIIA has had the Airfix undercarriage added as the Revell one looks pony! just needed to drill out the holes in the Revell kit and they fitted like a glove... should have just bought the Airfix kit!

then the walkways were masked buy eye with some thin Tamiya tape

33740323440_5a69c6c438_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34084771366_054635f063_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

That's the airfix kit, revell looks exactly the same so no pic's. These were then painted black of course and then tape removed

33740227280_352914063c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34084767046_22dbd8a9f4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The MKIIA has the fighter band.

After that it was time for touch ups then I went at it with the transfers.

33994914711_5edf7ddaca_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33994912821_8ea4819381_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33994912321_20e2544250_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Walk way sticks out a bit under the roundel, could have done with a micromesh.

33994914491_f480f3a850_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then I called it a day as i lost my nerve after a couple of slips

33313817043_dd248b1df8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33313815013_289e2b3bba_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

More progress tomorrow hopefully, as I should get a bit more time in the evening! hope your all well and like the rogress

Rob

• Like 11

Beautiful shots Rob - that new camera is obviously bringing out your inner David Bailey (insert more up to date photographer of your choice!)

Good work on the models too - they're looking smart :) 

• Like 1

Very nice models Rob, they've all turned out really well. Now you have me thinking about walkways. Masking with fine tape..noted.

It's a big learning process with Spitfires (for me). 

Is that a Douglas Invader poking its nose in on the left :winkgrin:?

Lovely photographs; you live in an area with some really beautiful, calming views and countryside. I must visit the area the next time I visit the UK; I've never been in the county at all :o.

The quartet are nearly finished!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

large_000000.jpg

Cheers PC, that's a great poster. I love that pic of them on the rocks, the land seems to stretch on forever!

TonyT no not an invader but nearly. It's a Boston mk v the revell one. Detailing is really nice on the kit but the nose section absolutely sucks. It's leftover from the MTO GB but has had some fettling since and if I could be bothered to finish the little lumps on the cowls it would be ready for paint! Cheers, and glad you like the spits, I'm looking forward to when I have nearly finished the octet!

ced, glad you like them and the pics! No new camera all taken on my iPhone and then cleaned up in a new app I have. Rather impressed with the results as it's brought out a lot of detail you wouldn't have picked up with the camera but do with your eye.

Stew! Glad you like them, also the names not bad just a shame about the face :) 

cheers giemme, I was unsure about posting as I thought you might all just be board of pictures of Malvern... I wouldn't blame you! I posted them to the family on what's app only to be trumped by my brother who is currently skiing round Mont Blanc with the kids! Now that's some scenery.

cheers all!

Rob

• Like 6

I'd never get bored of photographs of where you live. The area around Malvern is a lovely part of the world, to my shame I've only been twice but my friend who run the Red Lion at Stiffords Bridge got flooded and lost the business.

Nice work on the Spitfires, by the way. I've tried to do the walkways with a fine Rotoring pen but your method is better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beard said:

I'd never get bored of photographs of where you live. The area around Malvern is a lovely part of the world, to my shame I've only been twice but my friend who run the Red Lion at Stiffords Bridge got flooded and lost the business.

Nice work on the Spitfires, by the way. I've tried to do the walkways with a fine Rotoring pen but your method is better.

I know stiffords bridge very well! And I can imagine flooding was a big problem, I remember seeing a silver Ford Focus hanging on the edge of the bridge after one flood. I drive past the red lion everyday! Just down from what used to be the prancing pony bought by a fella who really liked lord of the rings... but couldn't run a pub.

Rob

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I know stiffords bridge very well! And I can imagine flooding was a big problem, I remember seeing a silver Ford Focus hanging on the edge of the bridge after one flood. I drive past the red lion everyday! Just down from what used to be the prancing pony bought by a fella who really liked lord of the rings... but couldn't run a pub.

Rob

I went in the pub across the road, once, but didn't know it was called the Prancing Pony; it got flooded too but the owners just swept out the water and re-opened, the Red Lion was wrecked and the lose of income did for my friend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beard said:

I went in the pub across the road, once, but didn't know it was called the Prancing Pony; it got flooded too but the owners just swept out the water and re-opened, the Red Lion was wrecked and the lose of income did for my friend.

It's a lot lower than the pony, and the lion in literally on the river bank so would have taken the worst of it. Such a shame for your mate, that road is terrible once the water level rises!

Rob  

4 minutes ago, rob85 said:

It's a lot lower than the pony, and the lion in literally on the river bank so would have taken the worst of it. Such a shame for your mate, that road is terrible once the water level rises!

Rob  

Yeah, the rain poured down in the hills, the river swept  down debris which blocked the bit under the bridge, the water level rose and, broke the banks.

I know how much it can rain in the west but, apparently, it was extreme weather by any standards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beard said:

Rob  

28 minutes ago, Beard said:

Yeah, the rain poured down in the hills, the river swept  down debris which blocked the bit under the bridge, the water level rose and, broke the banks.

I know how much it can rain in the west but, apparently, it was extreme weather by any standards.

Sounds like 2007 or 2008 when I ended up stuck in Hereford for the night due to the stupidly bad flooding. It's all the Malvern hills fault really, rain coulda just can't get over it then it all gets funnelled into the valleys!

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello! i had a frenzy of activity last night and managed to finish these chaps off! but before that i will put up a few pics of the final transfers on the MKII and MKI

first up latter codes on the MKIA KL-A

34055096131_26057e9a1d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34186032735_118a3e5d4d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

managed to chip the white of the roundel!

now the MKIIA

34186033105_295e14e6ad_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

these are a bit crinkled due to all the bumps, the transfers were xtradecals and nice and thin, just too much undulation in the surface to get them flat.

33343605744_5ad63895f1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33801841200_437bb916aa_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33374969563_379d2774ea_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the E is slightly thinker than the KL which is annoying but i can live with it!

33343600244_5832a8bd66_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

they then had minimal weathering with pastels (th MKIA was described as fresh from the factory) as did the XIX and XXII, last little bits were added masks removed but not before a satin coat made from half and half N&W gloss and Matt varnish..... so here they are!

33483407134_dd134439c1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

MKXXII:

34166993772_13501946e8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34166996712_fa3215f04d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284129836_bfcc2b42ec_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34325063365_66ee952ff5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

MKXIX:

34194259471_8920cdb1ac_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34167035562_669660e304_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194194921_5b77c894b7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34325063415_2d3b175ec2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(no glass in the camera ports, may remedy that at some point) 

MKIA:

33514888743_02cdb17cfc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33941187010_e672c4a3a3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33483407944_2ce0f350b9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194281781_8764c84989_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

MKIIA:

34167034162_18ad90973f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284167796_a6d7c40b0f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194259481_e2ffca5092_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34325093465_ae1a662777_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

so that is the end to Castle Bromwich mkii, part 1 next will be Part two, hopefully consisting of 3 VB's, 1 VC and  mk IX....however this wont be started tbis weekend as I plan to get very druck for free at a works do... wish me luck.

Oh and the MKIA adn MKIIA are now with the family of Howard Squires as a memory to their granddad, they appeared really pleased with them and i have asked if they want a larger version to let me know.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Nice work Rob. Are you brush painting the Tamiya on? 

Indeed I am, thinned well with water and a flat brush. It's a dream usually!

Rob