Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Rob! How nice to see you again mate :) 

Hope all's well with you all?

Cheers,

Stew

Yes pretty good thanks stew, ticking along, work has got hectic but that’s same as every year! Kids keep growing, they are 9 and 7 now which is just silly really! They have openly said they want to build more aircraft, Olive (eldest) has proclaimed ‘let 2019 be the year of building models!’ 10 months in and they haven’t so I better pull my finger out!

will you be at Telford? Or is it to much of a trek?

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice Spitfires.  Good finish.

For your next build (and I see it amongst your stash) RJ Mitchell designed Supermarine Walrus.  How different can you get...

Cheers! All brush painted (I’m not actually too happy with the finish, my first ones were much better) hopefully have these pretty much tucked away in the next few weeks.

the walrus! Think it comes with the BPF markings 🤔 that’s a nice shout.... rigging 😬 that’s scary

Rob

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rob85 said:

the walrus! Think it comes with the BPF markings 🤔 that’s a nice shout.... rigging 😬 that’s scary

Rob

I did the Walrus a few years ago.  I used fishing line for the rigging, TBH it's OK but a bit stiff.  I have some of that Uschi (?) thread and am going to try it on an Irish Air Corp Gladiator I'm building.

40896886101_e3f6d918a9_c.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I did the Walrus a few years ago.  I used fishing line for the rigging, TBH it's OK but a bit stiff.  I have some of that Uschi (?) thread and am going to try it on an Irish Air Corp Gladiator I'm building.

40896886101_e3f6d918a9_c.jpg

That’s some great work, and it’s a handsome thing! Maybe I do need to pull my finger out and get over my fear of rigging! Hmmmm thought is needed

Rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

will you be at Telford? Or is it to much of a trek?

Yes mate. Jamie and I will both be there, but we're going as civilians this year, so we won't be there standing up all day both days, it's a bit of a relief to be honest. Will you be there this year?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Yes mate. Jamie and I will both be there, but we're going as civilians this year, so we won't be there standing up all day both days, it's a bit of a relief to be honest. Will you be there this year?

Cheers,

Stew

Yes, that is the plan! It’s my weekend off so I’ve got childcare for the Saturday day, so nothing stopping me! I will no see you there which will be good!

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well floods and work have kept me away from these three! 

the basement (my work space) had to be evacuated due to the rain we have had, I ended up with nearly a foot of water down there. Everything was saved and avoided damp decals! (Well possibly not everything as you will see) 

My day off was absorbed by half term and bonfire night and of course I had a lovely time at Telford! Which was nice.

But today I got on with it! Well until I had to pick the kids up early from school due to the heavy rain it’s flooding again! Love this weather....

any how, it was not a good start

2l8usA9.jpg

this is the clipped wing SAAF Vb, so I had to get another decal off the sheet and hope for the best....

(Remind me never to take such a close picture again it really shows how under par my current paint work is!!) 

6rN9wZ7.jpg

my hope paid off and all other decals went on with no real problem! A part from the letter codes being a bit wonky to my eye.

39iv78v.jpg

the stark light is not helping, the blue is a lot darker in real life and you can’t see the little transfer on the engine cowl. 

so I then moved onto the 92sqn desert Vb

u6W2IWh.jpg

sEkJUH6.jpg

now the eagle eyed among you will notice that this is in fact a 249 (Gold Coast) sqn, a malta based aircraft no less. Now below is why it’s not a 92 bird

DQA4zZv.jpg

the delightful transfers that @Cookenbacher sent me shattered on contact with water, probably a mix of age and damage while in storage and me not getting them out of the basement quick enough to stop moisture getting to them.... sorry cookie.

This does raise some issue! The prop I have on there is now the wrong type which I might change, and according to the decal sheet the nose is the wrong colour (though the much missed Edgar said 249 sqn spinners were painted red the sheet has them as sky) also there is the argument of the colour, which as I have never seen a real pic of the AC I can’t vouch for (spitfire vb ab264(?) coded GN-H I s depicted with a grey over painting the middle stone of memory serves). I’m sure there are others like @tonyot that know enough to write a book on (and in fact has) that could shed light on this, but I’ll see how I go.

Anyway that’s as far as I got, pretty annoying as I wanted to have all the little bits on and touch ups (like on the canopy) done ready for weathering today, but oh well, there is always next week! Still, very happy these are coming together and nearly complete.

here’s a swan swimming where the park should be

e5kwwTQ.jpg

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Sorry about the transfers Rob! If I had my Silhouette cutter handy, I'd cut you some QJ masks, but it's in storage in NM unfortunately. Dang it.

Glad to see you back at Spitfires Rob, and it was a great privilege to meet you im person at Telford!

Privilege was all mine cookie! Don’t sweat it, transfers rarely fair well in my hands, and the fresh boiled water does tend to make anything not it perfect condition explode!

Im happy with the other scheme and will have a look at the prop on Monday, my day off. 

I think I will have these sorted by next week! Then I’ll be leaving this build till I can face a spitfire again (or until I find mkvc’s of a good quality and price, I still want to build a few more Malta spitfires and some Aussie Vc’s)

the plan is to start something easier, or at least more enjoyable to build than the old airfix kits above.... and maybe a bit bigger 🤔

Rob

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

If I had my Silhouette cutter handy, I'd cut you some QJ masks

Oooh, I have one of those! What do you need Rob? PM me…

(Glad you're back safe Cookie :) ) 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, CedB said:

Oooh, I have one of those! What do you need Rob? PM me…

(Glad you're back safe Cookie :) ) 

What is this silhouette cutter of which you and cookie speak??

ive gone ahead with the Malta transfers for now, and I’m happy with that. Still might change the prop but will see.

but look! More progress!! 

so I decided to get stuck into weathering and finish the blue Malta Vb, she got a Matt coat first thing then some dusting up to look like a well used spitfire based on a dusty little island being heavily bombed. Pictures of Malta spitfire show a lot of dust and weathering as well as spilt fuel from getting filled up by hand... so I tried to get that look... some may find it over done.

matt coat done first

73UPLSx.jpg

And exhausts added sorry! Mr hobby metal paint then dry brushed with rust and rubber black.

then gave it a bit of chipping but mainly tried to get that under coat of paint to come through.

3TWbdXD.jpg

then she got a good dust up with pastels, her tail wheel added, gun stains, oil stains and attempted petrol staining leaking down from the cap on the top cowl. 

her she is

POpREQ5.jpg

2rYTL7i.jpg

8To8EDr.jpg

iRkCv3y.jpg

ijTfkAO.jpg

she now sits on the ‘Malta’ shelf with a space left for her pal (I’ve bought another cabinet as will need more space!) 

6ypoJfH.jpg

mkiia hurri bomber from ages ago and a mki hurri made from and old and new airfix kit if memory serves!

and hers the rest!

iP6tiw7.jpg

shlef of randoms, you might recognise the two at the back from earlier in this build.

1O2H3Mx.jpg

BoB shelf (mkia spitfire x2, mkia hurricane, mki c(trial sent to 151 of the mkiic wing) and a mkia hurri with 20mm cannon pods (also a 151 trial)

ZgvJWmy.jpg

jugs and a corsair

dJNccyX.jpg

all the cats (so far)

TO9SMeZ.jpg

b-26 and random old fury

CDH32lE.jpg

and NMF

so here are the other two, matt coated and a bit of weathering 

tFruNDJ.jpg

that green looks so much better now it’s been varnished! (Still not right though)

izhmWVB.jpg

the oil stains on the Malta desert bird need some work.

thats all till tomorrow!

Rob

• Like 4

Nice work Rob and nice collection :) 

54 minutes ago, rob85 said:

What is this silhouette cutter of which you and cookie speak??

Silhouette Portrait vinyl cutter - let's you cut masking film from your own designs, great for roundel and ident masks. Great tool!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Rob and nice collection :) 

Silhouette Portrait vinyl cutter - let's you cut masking film from your own designs, great for roundel and ident masks. Great tool!

Ah I get ya! How complex can it go?? Could it cut the masking for a parrot nose on a b-25?.... asking for a friend....

that’s very kind of you (both) but I’m ok for now, however it’s something I might bare in mind if that’s ok? 

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic weathering Rob, and you've proven that blue suits a Spitfire nicely.

What a great collection you have, wonderful to see them all in one place!

Thanks cookie, glad you think it suits the spitfire, I gave to say it’s my favourite look! Though I’m sure accuracy can be argued. Also glad you like the collection! Hopefully it will start growing, fells really good to have at least one finally complete! It’s been 2 years!

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Could it cut the masking for a parrot nose on a b-25?.... asking for a friend....

that’s very kind of you (both) but I’m ok for now, however it’s something I might bare in mind if that’s ok? 

You hum it, I'll cut it :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, CedB said:

You hum it, I'll cut it :D 

This may be taken advantage of in the future!

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

A PG Tips chimp reference? We're showing our ages, or perhaps it's just me... :D 

Rob, your Malta Spit came out a treat B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers stew, glad you like it! Please see below for the other two 😃

...as for the pg tips I think I know what your on about, but being so young I might have to you tube it to refresh my memory 😃

so the progress shot are pretty non existent to be honest, but this trio have been finished!

However before that look who was doing their shopping with me in Sainsbury’s 

HRs8iVM.jpg

now for the other birds, below is what greeted me this morning 
3IbXiJH.jpg

real tidy

so today I changed the prop on the other Malta based Vb’s, added and painted all the pokey out bits, added the undercarriage and exhausts, weathered and generally dirtied it up....

sZxtcjH.jpg

sg8v0MI.jpg

not mad keen on how the fuel stain came out on this side

f08eDyx.jpg

im happy with her, not my finest work but I still really like how it’s (finally) come together.

and then there is the Italian Vb

mSdAlo6.jpg

still not a fan of the green, let’s call it weathered by the sun?

ytfDLeW.jpg

also annoyed with the silvering of the decals!

Hxrkxjf.jpg

i feel this should have been better but things did not come together, still happy I have finished it!

so there we are, I’ll get a RFI up tonight, and leave this thread alone till I can build up the courage to finish the Vc (going to buy a resin engine etc as mine is not up to par) and start the eduard mk ix!

thanks for watching!

Rob

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rob85 said:

...as for the pg tips I think I know what your on about, but being so young I might have to you tube it to refresh my memory 😃

Rob, being so young, I thought you might recognise the URL link in my comment to the ad on YouTube ;) :lol: 

Nice job on the Spitfires mate, three finished this year then, good work B) 

Cheers,

Stew