Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

So back off the holiday! Had a lovely time, I can recommend it!

the flight out I had a window seat which is normally stolen from me by my kids, and the times I have had one it’s either dark or cloudy! Not this time!

3SMs94G.jpg

Mosta from above

y2XYx2G.jpg

st. Paul’s bay

Pp3Jms8.jpg

somewhere north Malta 🤷🏻‍♂️

JT10Khf.jpg

WRBKyUj.jpg

K3Mtn9y.jpg

comino (blue lagoon) and Gozo

IiAhAJ2.jpg

and Sicily where the baddies flew from! (Actually the flew from further along the coast but I was on the wrong side) 

but does anybody  know where these are? Somewhere in the south of England.

G1TTkxF.jpg

WFHOu7F.jpg

Anyway I did do some work on the spitfires!

Painted the props again

7181cxN.jpg

all the pics of spitfires I’ve seen on Malta, especially ones being delivered have DH props (they are the thinner ones right?) so have one from an old spitfire kit. but the other two I’m going with the kit prop (Rotol?) hope that makes sense?

Two have had their canopies masked, which I should have just done from the get go, but I was lazy! I am however missing a canopy so will need a good hunt for that!

83kb1OA.jpg

xOk8dSE.jpg

Then they all had their props glued on

F6naMFW.jpg

2KENZKs.jpg

and I found (I think @Beard sent it to me 🤔) a slipper tank which I plan to put on the blue Vb. all had a final coat of blue on the undersides and the desert scheme had a final coat of dark earth..... were getting there people! Slow and steady!

in other news I’ve started a mozzie in the D-Day GB, rude not to really! 

Hope everyone is well!

Rob

• Like 8

Welcome back Rob! Nice photos and progress on the Spits :) 

I was intrigued by the photo of the, er, circle thing :

18 hours ago, rob85 said:

G1TTkxF.jpg

… and spent far too long looking at Google Maps satellite view of "Somewhere in the south of England". 

Now it's my fault… being a West Country boy (inn I my luvver?) I assumed that South of England meant somewhere south of the Thames. 

Hah!

No luck.

So it looks like some sort of car test track. Google that.

Found it! Millbrook. Near Milton Keynes.

I call that ""Somewhere in the Midlands". :D 

• Like 3

And that's Bedford creeping in at the top of the shot. I've spent so many hours filming cars from helicopters at Millbrook I have the local landscape etched onto my retinas!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Gorgeous pics, Rob! Thanks for posting them! :thumbsup:

And nice progress on the Spitfires, too :clap: 

Ciao

Cheers Giemme! Glad you like the pics I’m pretty dam happy with how they turned out, they remained me of old PR shots

RAF-Hal-Far-airfield-Malta-IWM-MOWH181.j

Like this one of Hal Far!

Rob

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

What a very interesting thread I’m in :) 

Cheers Rob, glad its of interest! And welcome along... you will find the pace reassuringly slow so sit back and take it easy.

I might manage getting the green on the clipped wing over the weekend, then hopefully a coat or two of gloss on my day off.... I probably won’t be able to avoid transfers after that.... but will probably try....

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Cheers Rob, glad its of interest! And welcome along... you will find the pace reassuringly slow so sit back and take it easy...

That sounds good. I quite often do multiple builds usually two in one thread. You taken it to a new level and I see it’s spits. I seem to be making lots of spits too. I have one duo build of Mk1/ 2 at the mo and along with many of my started and stalled but soon to be resumed builds 4 1/32 spits but also plenty more spits on the stash more than I realised when I was sorting today. Can’t deny I have a huge love of spitfires. (Who don’t honestsly .. ) 

cheers Rob :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robvulcan said:

That sounds good. I quite often do multiple builds usually two in one thread. You taken it to a new level and I see it’s spits. I seem to be making lots of spits too. I have one duo build of Mk1/ 2 at the mo and along with many of my started and stalled but soon to be resumed builds 4 1/32 spits but also plenty more spits on the stash more than I realised when I was sorting today. Can’t deny I have a huge love of spitfires. (Who don’t honestsly .. ) 

cheers Rob :)

It’s a hard aircraft to not enjoy! I did have more than I realised in the stash before this build, it has dramatically reduced the number, but I still appear to have 3 mk i’s which I wasn’t expecting! 

I will I’ll have to have a look for the spit dual build your doing and would love to see the 1/32’s, your hayford and Stranraer were excellent!

Rob

18 minutes ago, rob85 said:

It’s a hard aircraft to not enjoy! I did have more than I realised in the stash before this build, it has dramatically reduced the number, but I still appear to have 3 mk i’s which I wasn’t expecting! 

I will I’ll have to have a look for the spit dual build your doing and would love to see the 1/32’s, your hayford and Stranraer were excellent!

Rob

Thanks Rob think you might have the wrong person I’ve not made a Heyford or Stranraer yet but I would love too. 

I nearly picked up a Heyford at telford and wish I had now. Just got to get a big b-17 finished then work on the 1/32 spits can resume :)

• Like 1

Your probably right I think I have! Sorry about me 😬 I know I’ve definitely seen you build a Vulcan though! If I’m wrong there then I have a serious memory problem!

Rob

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Your probably right I think I have! Sorry about me 😬 I know I’ve definitely seen you build a Vulcan though! If I’m wrong there then I have a serious memory problem!

Rob

Nope never made a vulcan ..

haha yeh made a few haha of them things and more to come. 

Rob :) 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Well it’s been a while huh? What with summer holidays, getting work ready for Christmas and sorting out other life matters, there has been very little time for work on the spitfires.

however I have had a flurry of work today! An actual day has come where I have no other tasks or work to take up my time.... or help me to procrastinate, as if I’m honest I’ve lost my drive for this thread and I kinda feel like this shows in the work.

first up let’s talk about the SAAF mk vb with the clipped wings, and the green that has been used. It’s Mig dark green.....

O1WySc1.jpg

its really, well, green! (in this light) really not dark green. But here it is in natural light, not the harsh strong lamp light of my dinghy basement.

4ADUID8.jpg

DcLRIpA.jpg

now I don’t know if it’s the fact it’s gloss vs the Matt brown, lighting or that the brown is too light anyway, but it’s not looking correct. Most of you people I’m sure would re paint it, but I’ve done this once already with the brown and I can’t do it again. I’m just going to make the most of it.

anyhow, I also realised I didn’t do the yellow wing edge, I’m a fool! So that was masked and painted with several coats of humbrol yellow.

k9l3FMw.jpg

the yellow paint is there, but it’s a little hard to discern from the yellow masking tape. 

I also masked the walkway markings for the 92 sqn desert mk vb as I find it less stressful than decals.

So then, onto the Malta based blue mk vb. I didn’t really take many pictures I just cracked on so sorry for the large jump. Here’s a reminder of where it was.

fZmTreK.jpg

and now.... 

1D0Kzqf.jpg

p5orNjm.jpg

Couple of pre landing gear shots straight after decals 

7nnA2LJ.jpg

UvYlBCx.jpg

so since you last saw her she has had her gloss coat on, few paint touch ups, all decals added, canopy painted, aerial added and painted, cannons added and painted, and of course her legs put on.

All that’s left for her is a tail wheel, exhausts matt coat and a weather. So close...

here’s a family photo

4Z3kPo8.jpg

getting there now! 

I don’t think I will be carrying on straight to the mk ix's and finishing off the Vc after these three, I need a change! Suggestions welcome, pic of the stash below.

Wm5GZoA.jpg

there is also a new Airfix Wellington kit not in the shot.

Also just because I like it here’s a shot of the sunset over the Malverns taken from Pershore 

FF8ymI0.jpg

Hope your all doing well and thanks for stopping by!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

Suggestions welcome, pic of the stash below.

A Twin (x2) Otter build?  Only because I've been on the verge of ordering a second, and it is one of the "more different" in your stash.  I just hope the decals I've saved from youth still function, so I can eventually do a Pilgrim Airlines example.  No idea what I'd do for a second...

p.s. Nice sunset photo!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

A Twin (x2) Otter build?  Only because I've been on the verge of ordering a second, and it is one of the "more different" in you stash.  I just hope the decals I've saved from youth still function, so I can eventually do a Pilgrim Airlines example.  No idea what I'd do for a second...

p.s. Nice sunset photo!

Ah yes the otters! They are in fact a (slow) work in progress for my two kids, and were kindly donated by an anonymous benefactor from this forum when the last flying boat group build was on ( see what I mean slow! They don’t get much time on it but they are keen! The boy has previously built a Catalina and the girl a mozzie, beaufighter and spitfire). The stash is rather one sided your right, I definitely have a focus on  aircraft from 39 to 45! 

have you got a build on at the moment?

also cheers, I rather like taking pictures of landscapes etc, but you can’t beat a good sunrise or sunset!

Rob

Edited by rob85

2 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

Just catching up.  Wonderful stuff!  As a Malta-history tragic and a lover of aerial photography, this has really made my day.  :)

Thanks! I like aerial photography and find it very interesting studying the little details within the pics. It’s very rare I get to fly and even rarer that it’s in daylight and a cloudless day! If I had my own aircraft or a drone (not as fun for me) I would do a lot more!

Malta is just a fascinating subject, so many small human interest story’s but also huge events with far reaching consequences, and I don’t just mean the siege of  40-42. Malta has a long history of holding out under overwhelming odds (lets just discount the soft over turn to Napoleon, the fault of the knights of St. John rather than the Maltese population who actually put up some sort of resistance).

It is the WWII siege that I mainly focus on though, as that’s my kinda history. It’s the 80th anniversary of the start of this siege next year, and I plan to do a lot of builds of the aircraft used on the island. Obviously spitfires and the can of worms they open are the big talking point, and of course the mythical statues of the gladiators there. But I would like to build some of the other aircraft that had such a big impact on axis shipping. Well that’s the plan anyway.......

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

have you got a build on at the moment?

Kinda-sorta.  I started a P-40 or two for that Group Build, but they've been neglected for a few weeks while my seasonal work/life wound up to a big finish.  That's done now, so I need to get my attention back to them, but I also got an old ESCI 1/48 Henschel 129 over the weekend and couldn't wait to start into that.  No reason I can't work on all of them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Kinda-sorta.  I started a P-40 or two for that Group Build, but they've been neglected for a few weeks while my seasonal work/life wound up to a big finish.  That's done now, so I need to get my attention back to them, but I also got an old ESCI 1/48 Henschel 129 over the weekend and couldn't wait to start into that.  No reason I can't work on all of them!

I can empathise with this situation! I also thought there wasn’t a reason to not do them all at once, but don’t tell that to the other spitfires, liberator, Boston, mozzie or the two hurricanes, they might think I should be working on them and not starting a new kit!!

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Good to see you back at these, Rob 👍🏻 I love the blue Spit :clap: :clap: And the sunset pic! :D 

How about a Corsair for your next build? :) 

Ciao

Hi giemme! Thanks glad you like both. Corsair is a good shout, I do have three and a set of decals for FAA and NZ which I had wanted to build for the GB a while back. 🤔 all food for thought.

Rob

• Like 2