Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Off to a flying start Rob!

Cheers cookie, oh spitfire king! I am merely a copy cat, a poor imitation of your work to be fair!

in other news the mk XXII is pretty much together and the XIX would be but I am waiting for the enamel I used on the seat to dry.... pics in the morning 

Rob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Great job Rob and thanks for the labels! They're looking good so far :) 

Buffing the iron with a brush and using it for highlights - genius! Top tip.

This tip was brought to you by our proud sponsor CedB industries.... without their donation of mr hobby metal paint this would not have been possible :)

Rob

• Like 2

Don't know what happened there...

anyway chaps that know know a good amount about cutting up spitfires. 

With a mk ix, and turning it into a mk vc... the cowl isn't correct and the cooler needs changing.... so if I cut the cowl off, left it off and added a small merlin, changed the cooler would I basically have a mk vc?!

Rob

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rob85 said:

[...] so if I cut the cowl off, left it off and added a small merlin, changed the cooler would I basically have a mk vc?!

Yes, although I think the converted MkIXs had wide cannon bulges and a slightly different top to the cowling and, 'early' elevators. They may also have had the Coffman starter bulge on the starboard lower front cowling.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beard said:

If you can get your hands on an AZ MkIX or a Eduard 'early', I'm sure they'll have the bits you'll need (I'm certain in the case of the AZ, not so sure with the Eduard).

The Eduard IXc has all three types of elevators; some late Spitfire Vcs had the narrow cannon bulges, so it will depend on the aircraft you build. The IXc early lower wing is better suited to doing a Vc (though the IX small carburetor intake looks similar to the Vc one, in actuality it's a fair bit different), though if you're doing a trop, you might want the IXc late to blend the beginnings of the Aero-vee intake/filter into the Vokes filter. But I'm the opposite of an expert on the differences in shape between the rear of the Aero-Vee and the Vokes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

The Eduard IXc has all three types of elevators; some late Spitfire Vcs had the narrow cannon bulges, so it will depend on the aircraft you build. The IXc early lower wing is better suited to doing a Vc (though the IX small carburetor intake looks similar to the Vc one, in actuality it's a fair bit different), though if you're doing a trop, you might want the IXc late to blend the beginnings of the Aero-vee intake/filter into the Vokes filter. But I'm the opposite of an expert on the differences in shape between the rear of the Aero-Vee and the Vokes.

As ever Mr P you raise a valid question.... what is the opposite of an expert?

so I'm looking for a late mk ix with the fat cannon bugle option, do preferably an AZ or Eduard (not going to lie I will get whatever is cheapest :) ) hmmm I will look into this more I think. Cheers all

Rob

or I could save all this hassle and buy a sword vc :) 

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, rob85 said:

what is the opposite of an expert?

Me.

I probably have some early (or fat) bulges. Once I've had my tea, I'll have a look in the spares box. I might even have some early tailplanes and a short carburettor too.

• Like 1

Well this one was going to be a volkes VC you see but then I was going to have all the panels off and the engine exposed... that said it might be a good idea to keep the volkes on as it means less scratch building?

however it would be great if you did have the early tail planes :) 

Rob

Edited by rob85

I've had a lovely day today! just been pottleing round the my rather picturesque home town of malvern, had a coffee in the ground of the abby.

33338972625_d388c8a10a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32524686413_802eebd075_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and some pic's of some Fat grey squirrels, thought I would get some before they are all poisoned to death in the cull to save the Red's (there is a great watership down style movie in there somewhere! )

33298155196_6bc24d99f6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33183679492_801d7e9311_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

careful lads you cant be sure whats on those nuts...

then had a giggle at the shop names

33183738572_e98a9c4883_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Sweet street, yes good name....chocolate avenue... hmmm could have done with more thought...

popped to the art shop, god i love an art shop, these pastels are beautiful the pigments are amazing I will be getting a few next week me thinks

33298172216_0558df1a37_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

think of the weathering! I did however pick up these from a charity shop

33183687332_1fd985f116_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

classic!

I have a had the week off and been looking after the kids as my wife (who is should really start reffering to as my ex-wife which is a bit of a killer) is in Paris visiting her sister, so lots of pottering and modeling time. I have also been treated like a 15 year old by my mother as for my birthday she took me out clothes shopping, what a lady, bought me loads... she was trying to convince me to by a 1/24 spitfire (harpers bizarre have them for £24 buy the way!!) ladies just dont understand its not about the size of the thing i suppose....

anyway i have done some modelling so here you are, forgive my above ramblings

MK XXII:

here are some better shots of the dry brushing

33338982225_9d3317042d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33183739422_976f340800_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the light is catching it quite a bit there.... and then the internals in.

33298101456_efb8f2d2b7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32524630783_b059cbf8a9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and the prop all done...

32956272310_217ef7f459_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

thats right i painted it Red! idiot, and its enamel so had to wait for it to dry out completely before repainting. I have to say though that is just one coat, great coverage! here it is with its first coat of sky

33298106446_2bdb8036fc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

not so nice!

anyway here she is all glued and sanded

33183668722_cb6b716378_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

its a mean mother!

32956268350_a779698405_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

It would appear that shot is pre-sanding! the seam does not exist anymore.

32956267910_9367ae3b07_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and thats were we leave her for now and move on to the MK XIX

MKXIX:

some internal shots (the keen eyed will notice the lack of control coloum, as is the way it was broken in two and sacrificed to the carpet monster for good luck... I'm sure you all do the same no?)

32956336920_f84b3c92fa_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32496245084_6f1d5202cc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the seat is roughly mixed HU 60 and 33 enamel paint as i like to effect.

33338923425_2b04e008f9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(sorry thats actally a bit of a crap photo)

then she got buttoned up with a PRU Blue spinner (right first time! just needs its little grey nose tip)

32496244894_d883c2e2a1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

followed by the little camera lense inserted through the bottom... like what the doctors do...no pic of that it would appear.

33183739172_c213003972_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

that spinner needs some work

and here they are basking in the sun...

33298116866_f1d1147c4e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

bit more work on the seems  (glue went all over the wing root! ), thats where we are at so far ladies and gents... more to come over the next couple of days.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 9

I'm out of likes Rob, but will donate some  when I've been paid again ;).

I enjoyed the little walk around Malvern. It looks very nice indeed. A lovely crisp day too.

So the grey squirrels are being nuked? For a while I  lived in Sheffield near the (lovely) Botanical Gardens. It was full of greys. I would grab a big bag of nuts every Sunday morning and go for a very pleasant walk, feeding thev already very fat little blighters up. I once got too close and the squirrel accidentally bit straight through the top of my index finger nail :o!! Ouch.

I can assure you that this hurts a great deal and the ensuing infection isn't nice. My own fault; eyes on the sides of their heads  and I was lucky that I was allowed to get close, given that in some parts of the world humans hunt, kill and eat squirrels.

Good find on the DVD's! A lot of people knock Memphis Belle, but I think it's a good Sunday afternoon comfort film, with great shots of real life aircraft and good music in the dance hall sequence. Harry Connick Jr. is ok in my book, he makes model aircraft in the movie after all :).

I have been taking notes on the colours you've  been using for the interior. I'm pretty green on modelling  Spitfires and the Tamiya kit I have is asking me to mix three colours for the interior green. No, I think it will be the Humbrol like yours.

Your mum sound wonderful! A 1/24 Spitfire and you declined :mental: .

The last present my mother gave me was a home made peg-bag.

In 1986 :unsure:.

I love her, but she's rather potty (runs in the family :D).

All the best

TonyT

• Like 3

Great progress Rob :clap::clap:

I love the first pics, too - are you sure you live in England? Looks way too sunny :coolio::D:D

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

A peg bag, interesting gift... home made though so that takes thought! 

Your probably out of likes as you used them up on liking all my other posts in the thread! I have been a little post happy to be fair.

i currently have little space for the stash so a box that's nearly as big as one of my kids could take up valuable 1/72 space, the true scale as we know :). She did confess she had wanted to buy me a kit but found them too expensive to justify... strange I said as they are about £7 for a nice little one but told her not to worry... turns out she was looking at the airfix car door typhoon for about £109, she's mad, surely common sense would have told her that most of my models are about 5 inches long there fore would not require a 3 foot box?? Any how I have enough to be getting on with, as I told her and she shouldn't worry about getting me kits.

Rob

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

Great progress Rob :clap::clap:

I love the first pics, too - are you sure you live in England? Looks way too sunny :coolio::D:D

Ciao

It's practically the Amalfi cost down my way at the moment! I was thinking of slicking my hair back and buying an Alfa spider.... don't worry it won't last!

Rob 

• Like 4

First of all: Malvern - you get to live there? Too beautiful for words in the eyes of this American.

Second - the XIX and 22 look great, the cockpit sidewalls are especially fantastic. - I'm taking careful notes on the 22, as I'm hoping to start a couple next week.

Third - I can't get the thought of making a Vc from an Eduard 'early' IX out of my head. I may have to copy you again!

• Like 2

Whew! That was an epic last installment Rob. And possibly the only time anyone has managed to get a colonoscopy reference into a Spitfire build....

All looking very splendid, dry-brush and propellor-wise. I hope the mini-tour of Malvern is going to to become part of an occasional series of guided walks.:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 2

As you've found out,the Airfix 22 is a doozy(I've converted one to a Seaf.46 and another to a Seaf 47).

The XIX,use the four spoke wheels unless you plan to add the required overwing bulges to accomodate them(12 inch wide wheels instead of 10.25)

I was going to say that if you've a spare 22's prop,use it on the XIX,the supplied prop is a bit small.

Prop diameters for Griffon engines:

You're looking at 10 4" for the 46/47 Rotol Contra

The XIV to XIX(5 blade/2 stage engines),XII and XVII(four blade/"short" Griffons) is 10' 5"

The 21/45 & 22 are 11'(5 blade/2 stage engine)

The 24 is 11 10"(5 blade/2 stage 2 speed engine)

Airfix's Vb,still reputed to be one of the most accurate in shape and size of all 1/72nd "baby" Spits,with a fair bit of work still scrubs up well.

Airfix's Vc wing?,no,no,no,no.It's horrendous and no where near correct.The Vc decal sheet is nice though.

Revell's Vb is a nice little kit even if the prop is a bit off and there's no gull wing underneath(use the Airfix Vb parts?)

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 5

Hi Rob,

it's always the same.

I go away for a few days and when I look again carefully, I find some insane threads, proving to me that madness is still a fashionable commodity... Thank god for that.

I love your selection and it's gonna be fun. OK, it already is.

Great show!

JR

21 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Airfix's Vc wing?,no,no,no,no.It's horrendous and no where near correct.The Vc decal sheet is nice though.

Revell's Vb is a nice little kit even if the prop is a bit off and there's no gull wing underneath(use the Airfix Vb parts?)

Hi Miggers,

on the Revell Vb, in addition to the woes you describe, I find the shape of the spinner not quite right, possibly too "bulbous"... I did build the Pro Modeller boxing, but I suspect it is the same kit.

Re the Airfix Vc wing, every person in the know (a select group, which I do not belong to, as an ignorant non-British when it comes to Spitfires' arcane knowledge) shoots that poor wing down in flames. I have just looked at it again, and I still cannot see what's so atrocious about it...

Will someone put me out my misery?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1