Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

Good progress Rob. How you and some of the other 'usual suspects' manage four (and more) at once I will never know :frantic: !

I will have to watch that Flory video too. Carrier film between letters used to drive me bonkers, when I restarted the Hobby for the first time 14 years ago.

The two later marques are looking close to the finish now. I like all of your quartet, but must say in terms of actual Spitfire shapes, I'm developing a great fondness for the Mk. XIX :heart: !

Hope you enjoyed 'The Last Kingdom'.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Good progress Rob. How you and some of the other 'usual suspects' manage four (and more) at once I will never know :frantic: !

I will have to watch that Flory video too. Carrier film between letters used to drive me bonkers, when I restarted the Hobby for the first time 14 years ago.

The two later marques are looking close to the finish now. I like all of your quartet, but must say in terms of actual Spitfire shapes, I'm developing a great fondness for the Mk. XIX :heart: !

Hope you enjoyed 'The Last Kingdom'.

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers Tony, the last kingdom was good thanks, but got an early night really due to a massive headache which wasn't fun! 

This is my second mk xix and she is a beautiful thing, so many great colour schemes as well, but I do really like this particular one! 

I am only half way through my list of spitfires so far, still need to start the 3 (possibly 4) mk v's and the mk ix but I think I will get these nearly complete before cracking them open! Like I have said I have a lot of time on my hands at the mo so that can explain my ability to do multi builds

• Like 2

Good to see more progress Rob and looking rather lovely too! With regards the carrier film - I usually try to cut away as much as possible with scissors and a craft knife. In the past I have actually chosen the aircraft to model based on how easy it will be to cut away the clear film between code letters. It can take quite a while but it does reduce the chance of silvering.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:13, jean said:

Hi Will,

I am impressed by your knowledge of Perp. Gothic architecture. Totally unexpected in a multi Spit build!!!

As for paying for a pigeon... There is bugger all to eat, once you've removed the feathers, the lead shots and the bone splinters!!!! Mind you, in the UK, with all the hormones the pigeons collect by picking on fast foods left overs, there may be more to nosh than here...

JR

PS: and squirrels are just rats with a furry tail. Better watch them than eat them!

What ??

Living in africa and did'nt taste the bush rats ??? That thing they call Mama na m'bao ??

It's delicious, really fine and tasty meat, on the BBQ with some local peanuts butter.

:o

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hi Corsaircorp,

for my sins I am becoming more and more of a vegetarian.... OK, shoot me!

If I told you what I have eaten on this planet, you'd be sick!

Here I still enjoy some delicacies like grilled flying ants (cheaper than peanuts and same taste) and mopane worms (big fat caterpillars that, if they survive, turn into beautiful moths). They are out now, so miam miam!

They are not meat, but insects... sue me!

Ciao

JR

• Like 3

This is becoming a very diverse thread! Insects for dinner? Not something I have tried yet but I'm told it's the future of food... I will have to try some some day?! Actually I have swallowed the odd fly while riding my bike, dose that count?? 

I have done a lot of work on these but I have been lazy with updates! Sorry this will be sorted tonight!

Rob

• Like 3

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:01, jean said:

Hi Corsaircorp,

for my sins I am becoming more and more of a vegetarian.... OK, shoot me!

If I told you what I have eaten on this planet, you'd be sick!

Here I still enjoy some delicacies like grilled flying ants (cheaper than peanuts and same taste) and mopane worms (big fat caterpillars that, if they survive, turn into beautiful moths). They are out now, so miam miam!

They are not meat, but insects... sue me!

Ciao

JR

Hello JR and Rob,

Please Jean, do not enter that challenge with me, grasshopper, Caterpillar and so, I tried it all, the only one I did'nt eat were the living termites, they stuff these insects in their mouth and began to chomp it, then spitting legs and wings.

There is my limit !! so, I tried snakes, rats, monkey, hipopotamus absolutely delicious and crocodile pretty good too, but the tail only, the rest is well, be prepared to chew a lot.

Mrs CC has started to figure to meat is not the best thing to eat, and I'm obliged to admit that she is right.

So meat are for my dogs and cats, my own meat consumption has fallen down drastically and feel better so..

Sometimes, I take a T bone, but scarcely now.

Sorry Rob, I'll stop any ancilliary consideration right now.

Have a nice day and take care.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello JR and Rob,

Please Jean, do not enter that challenge with me, grasshopper, Caterpillar and so, I tried it all, the only one I did'nt eat were the living termites, they stuff these insects in their mouth and began to chomp it, then spitting legs and wings.

There is my limit !! so, I tried snakes, rats, monkey, hipopotamus absolutely delicious and crocodile pretty good too, but the tail only, the rest is well, be prepared to chew a lot.

Mrs CC has started to figure to meat is not the best thing to eat, and I'm obliged to admit that she is right.

So meat are for my dogs and cats, my own meat consumption has fallen down drastically and feel better so..

Sometimes, I take a T bone, but scarcely now.

Sorry Rob, I'll stop any ancilliary consideration right now.

Have a nice day and take care.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

Ancillary, now there's a word that isn't used enough, nice choice.

cosaircorp, don't feel you need to stop with the anecdotes on my account. I would be a hypocrite if I clapped down on thread drift, being a culprit of it on many other threads! I find it enriches the experience truth be told.

Rob

• Like 7

so here is the promised update, i hope it was worth the wait...

but first, the weather has been ok round these parts of late...start of the walk with the kids...

33105071853_44c2f2ad41_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and it was on this walk that a revelation happened... my wife and kids live next to farm lands mostly orchard for cider apples but also a few big fields for sheep. in one of these fields, just up the road form their house, is a huge green metal barn which i assumed was for farm equipment.... until today... while walking I hear engine noise in the barn and out taxi's a light aircraft! it rolls to the end of the field then gives it some throttle and takes off straight up and then dissapears round the hill in the sunshine.... gone... in its place are sheep that return to the field after it took off! i have investigated with the neighbours this evening and it turns out everyone knows its there and its owned by the farmer! i have lived there fr 3 years and seen lots of low flying aircraft but we get a lot of that round our neck of the woods so didn't think anything of it! so the plan is to make firends with the farmer and see if he will take me and the kids up some time, wish me luck (and no i didn't get a single photo...idiot!)

a few pics i did get from the walk

33788540531_526b7a8a30_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33877262306_7741fd29d6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

hop kilns in the distance, you know your in ale country

anyway here is the sunset from Frome Hill Herefordshire.... its basically a pic of my commute.

33105027063_80c2857e2a_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and here is a pic of the 'old house' in hereford town centre where i work, really like the randomness of this old building smack in the centre of the high street.

33496065560_5469d6437f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

oh yes models!

so the mkia and iia both got a good sand and polish followed by a few coats of Dark Brown

33074377734_f754252c91_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

thats two coats, they then got a third after a micromesh

this was followed by the Dark Green disruptive pattern which after an over night dry get a really good rub down with 8000 grit

33496063060_3b633cb0a7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and then sky applied

33036969834_ef06e4b420_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and the figther band revelled... oh and the mk iia had its canopy blended and painted...

33067494843_58e3b630a7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and after another micromesh and a tounch up here they are with the rest of the canopy masked on both, yes the airfix went on after a sand with a satisfying click...

33877259116_c004d3bc49_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33105419173_6c90453d7d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33788529961_696f6e7a77_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

as always painted with a good flat brush and thinned paint.

the other two have had their landing gear popped on ready for wheels touch ups and a sidge of weathering...

33876893816_fd1e80ef81_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33074335654_eabaa40b51_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33917837245_b781b92eed_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33105052413_6d19fd32c9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

quite a few touch ups...

that's about it for now chaps so here is a family pic with labels!

33876903376_4be471452e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

hope you all have a lovely weekend... i will be at work... i am now going to watch band of brothers and drink southern comfort...night

Rob

• Like 13

Hello Rob,

Very nice collection, congratulations.

I really enjoyed the photos too, very scenic countryside, must get there with Mrs CC.

Nice job really :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Very nice work on those Rob - they'll be great additions to the collection.

Also good to see you're inspiring the next generation - nice Dauntless! :) 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed seeing pictures of your 'commute' Rob, beautiful country.

Your brush/micromesh painting method works wonders. I can't choose a favorite among the Spitfires. Oh, I think your XIX is labeled as a XXII.

The Dauntless looks so cool, much better than my first model (an Airfix/MPC Corsair in 1983!)

• Like 1

Nice set of Spitfires coming together there Rob, good work B)

Nice job your colleague's son did on the Dauntless as well, not the easiest kit for a first go, he did well to finish that one :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Landscape, light and masked transparencies: a fabulously optical update Don Roberto!

That last photo of the labelled quartet is reminiscent of a display of aggressive looking butterflies from the Nat. Hist. Museum in S.Ken., of the genera Spitfirius Shootyertailoffius...a handsome array you must feel pleased with?

I misread your caption for the 'old house' to indicate that you actually worked in that building, immediately pondering how hard you must find it modelling in a ruff and with lace cuffs! :lol:

Lovely work from a lovely part of the world  Rob. 

Tony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beard said:

I like the paint finish you've achieved on the Spitfires, very nice.

Cheers Simon, hopefully you will like the trio coming next as your help with them has been invaluable!

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Rob,

Very nice collection, congratulations.

I really enjoyed the photos too, very scenic countryside, must get there with Mrs CC.

Nice job really :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Its really worth a visit, beautiful any time of year... in my opinion...

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice work on those Rob - they'll be great additions to the collection.

Also good to see you're inspiring the next generation - nice Dauntless! :) 

Really chuffed with Zak's work, like I said it defeated me. Cheers for the kind comment

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I really enjoyed seeing pictures of your 'commute' Rob, beautiful country.

Your brush/micromesh painting method works wonders. I can't choose a favorite among the Spitfires. Oh, I think your XIX is labeled as a XXII.

The Dauntless looks so cool, much better than my first model (an Airfix/MPC Corsair in 1983!)

Mine was a twin of some sort, then mum and dad bought me a 1/48 harrier where I had to build the engine to do by myself! Could be why I stuck with 1/72...

you are correct its not labled correctly, bugger... I will pay attention next time! I will need a bigger table for further group pics!

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

Jeepers, Rob, did you hand-cut those canopy masks? 

Indeed all masked by my own fair hand with a clean blade and wilkinsons masking tape, it's not that bad and rather flexible and inexpensive.

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice set of Spitfires coming together there Rob, good work B)

Nice job your colleague's son did on the Dauntless as well, not the easiest kit for a first go, he did well to finish that one :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers stew! He's done a cracking job to be fair. I said I would provide him with something easier if he wants to carry on...

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Landscape, light and masked transparencies: a fabulously optical update Don Roberto!

That last photo of the labelled quartet is reminiscent of a display of aggressive looking butterflies from the Nat. Hist. Museum in S.Ken., of the genera Spitfirius Shootyertailoffius...a handsome array you must feel pleased with?

I misread your caption for the 'old house' to indicate that you actually worked in that building, immediately pondering how hard you must find it modelling in a ruff and with lace cuffs! :lol:

Lovely work from a lovely part of the world  Rob. 

Tony

Lol yeah I don't think modelling as an Elizabethan would be a cunning plan! There are tonnes of really nice old buildings in and around Hereford. 

That could be a great way to display them all in a deep frame with pins through the cockpit and typewriter style Latin name tags underneath! I would love that. I could spend hours in natural history museums staring into the frames, and the stuffed animals, captivating... and a little morbid... if I owned my abode it would be full of botanical prints, natural history frame and aircraft, all done very tastefully of course. 

I intend to get their transfers finished and up on their leg before starting at least 2 mk vb's and the mkix/vc conversion with merlin engine on display and hopefully detailed. I have bought a number of wires in different thickness and finish, plastic sheet and rod... it could be interesting, even if it's a failure.

Rob 

• Like 7

Lovely photographs of your area Rob. The one of the start of your walk reminds me of a typical vision of the Celtic ascent to heaven :).

I wondered what you use to help mask with the disruptive camouflage pattern on the Spitfires? It's something I'm currently pondering; I printed out the camo on an inkjet and cut it up into pieces, got stuck there :confused: .

All of them look superb :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 1

The Spit`s are coming along great guns Rob but that walk looked like a real stunner,......hope you all had a nice day and that old pub looks like just the ticket for an end of walk pint or two!

Keep up the good work mate,

Tony

PS,....That path at the start looked as if it had suffered a recent mortar attack!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Beautiful quartet!

Hard to choose a favourite, really.

I will echo Tony's comments about your roads... The dirt roads we have to drive on here are possibly a tad better than yours... Is that the M4? Really? Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Lovely photographs of your area Rob. The one of the start of your walk reminds me of a typical vision of the Celtic ascent to heaven :).

I wondered what you use to help mask with the disruptive camouflage pattern on the Spitfires? It's something I'm currently pondering; I printed out the camo on an inkjet and cut it up into pieces, got stuck there :confused: .

All of them look superb :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

I use a very cunning mask Tony, my eyeballs and a narrow brush with thinned paint... sounds painful but you get used to it. With spraying I hear scaled copy's of the aircraft cut up and attached with masking tap or blue tac rolls for a nice soft edge. It's a lovely walk the kids are very lucky to live on its doorstep. There are so many lovely walks round these parts mind.

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

The Spit`s are coming along great guns Rob but that walk looked like a real stunner,......hope you all had a nice day and that old pub looks like just the ticket for an end of walk pint or two!

Keep up the good work mate,

Tony

PS,....That path at the start looked as if it had suffered a recent mortar attack!

😂 they live on a private road which come autumn get a real pounding from the tractors ferrying tonnes (literally) of apples, it's like something out of a world war 1 documentary at times in winter! Worth it though.... it's probably in a better state than parts of the A44 or 449!

44 minutes ago, jean said:

Beautiful quartet!

I will echo Tony's comments about your roads... The dirt roads we have to drive on here are possibly a tad better than yours... Is that the M4? Really? Congrats!!!

JR

You nailed it JR it is the M4! It's more the M50 to be fair it's heading in the right direction and in a similar state with all it's road works.

glad you like the walk pics I'm sure there will be more to come! And glad you like the builds :) 

Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jean said:

Beautiful quartet!

JR

I almost said it looked like the M62 but it is too straight and in too good nick to be compared to our local motorway! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I almost said it looked like the M62 but it is too straight and in too good nick to be compared to our local motorway! 

Your not wrong about the M62... that said most of them are pretty dire

rob

• Like 1